• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cooking/Eating too much while in quarantine !!!

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018
I'm sure I am not alone in this dilemma when I say being quarantined all these days has caused my knowledge of home cooking and my waistline to both expand.
Since this all began I have been watching much more television and have even resorted to taking in several cooking shows and have found some of them to be interesting and educational. With so many "unknowns" still out there about this virus I have been cooking much more at home and I thought it might fun to post some photos of what we have all been indulging in while we are all awaiting the green light to move forward with our lives.
Below is a baked Manicotti pasta dish I made for dinner. (See photo)

Attachments

• 1380.jpg
    1380.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 111
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yesterday, Risotto Verde with nettles, dandelion, chard & the thinnings from the spinach and nabica rows and pan-roasted duck breast (Sorry Duck but you were slower than me). Today, Potatoes pan-roasted in duck fat (never waste a calorie) with wild garlic & rosemary and more greens sweated with onion & chilli flakes. Tomorrow, no sense of regret ;)

I am eating much more than usual, generally from a combination of boredom and greed. It was not such a great idea to attempt to stock up for a long period of social isolation. The only time that I lose weight is when I am on a long walk: in Spain or in my mountains near home. May such a time come safely again soon.

I have family staying with me. Two extra adults and a toddler. I cook a lot and have lost 3 pounds! I have taken over child care as her parents work from “home”. And we are all still alive. My fear is we kill each other before the virus gets us, but so far so good!

I have decided television is a no-no, so I listen to ambient music all day.
I have decided food is over rated and taken to one meal a day, beside the only way I will shop is by using a delivery services and that definitely keeps the impusle buying to a minimim.
I have decided that wine is the only answer and lots of it!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm sure I am not alone in this dilemma when I say being quarantined all these days has caused my knowledge of home cooking and my waistline to both expand.
Since this all began I have been watching much more television and have even resorted to taking in several cooking shows and have found some of them to be interesting and educational. With so many "unknowns" still out there about this virus I have been cooking much more at home and I thought it might fun to post some photos of what we have all been indulging in while we are all awaiting the green light to move forward with our lives.
I feel with you, brother. So far I have gained 3 gallons, mostly due to my quarantine emergency supplies of superb Rioja red wine. And my supplies are generous, so I am afraid it will only worsens.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yesterday, Risotto Verde with nettles, dandelion, chard & the thinnings from the spinach and nabica rows and pan-roasted duck breast (Sorry Duck but you were slower than me). Today, Potatoes pan-roasted in duck fat (never waste a calorie) with wild garlic & rosemary and more greens sweated with onion & chilli flakes. Tomorrow, no sense of regret ;)
You put me to shame, Tinky!

@Camino Chrissy
Uh.... I think you are missing the point here:
I cook I loose pounds...and I can cook.
But.... I didn't think I had relatives in Illinois....and Rioja is always welcome,so.... are you a toddler or an extra adult?😜🤨🍾
I thought I was one of the relatives "you didn't know you had"...extra adult.🙆

Not as elaborate as @Tincatinker but I treated myself to Filet Mignon with homemade baked potato chips and greens on Friday and then reminiscing about our trip to Hawaii produced one of our favorites, namely Loco Moco. Simple but OH SO GOOD!!!!!😋

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My dinner yesterday. Nothing to write home about...cheddarwurst and roasted brussel sprouts with olive oil...still yummy!😛

Attachments

• 20200403_180558.jpg
    20200403_180558.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 41
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hawaiian food was shave ice with azuki beans, and the Hula pie dessert.😂
Wait, Chris. The shave ice IS the dessert! Eat those one after the other and you're definitely having dessert first...then second dessert. 🤣 🤙
But why not? It should be a camino tradition, second dessert.

And...I'm from Hilo, where they invented loco moco. But give me poke any day over loco moco. Sorry, @CWBuff , but ... 😝
Haha - that means there's more for you! And you'll be so full that Chris and I will have the hula pie all to ourselves.

The shave ice IS the dessert! Eat those one after the other and you're definitely having dessert first...then second dessert. 🤣 🤙
Yes, similar to the Camino's first and second breakfast...why not!
I was there 20+ years ago and I remember the beauty much more than the food. 🌴

Yesterday was a large batch of ratatouille niçoise following the recipe from Larouse Gastronomique. Four weeks supply in the freezer. Next will be a classic bolognaise from the same source. After that I will just browse Dee Nolan's A Food Lover's Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela for hints.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I remember the Larousse Gastronomique. Excellent book full of classic French recipes and at at 10lbs in weight you can eat then use it for weight training afterwards

Attachments

• 9780600620426.jpg
    9780600620426.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 5
Although I drink tea and coffee regularly I only eat one meal in every 24 hours, about 5 or 6 pm so I don't find myself kitchen grazing - last night was a chicken Jalfrezi with whole rice and live yoghurt.

.... though I do open a bottle of wine in the evening! .... thins the blood - Tick. Relaxes the muscles - Tick! Made of fruit so one of your five a day - Tick. Supports low paid agricultural workers - Tick. Gets you squiffy - Tick - What's not to like?? ;)

But I am keeping up my exercise as you can see ...

View attachment WhatsApp Video 2020-04-05 at 14.26.08.mp4

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Husband and I are traveling virtually while at home. Pick a country, make a meal from there, play some appropriate music and enjoy while reminiscing about our travels there. Some delicious ones have been anything Italian, chicken tikka masala, enchilada casserole, and blueberry scones with lemon glaze. And I’ve lost 3 lbs! This week will take us to Japan and Spain. Looking forward to Asparagus Revuelto.

Attachments

• ED421251-F6D4-4B8F-9C94-ABC6F4F001DA.jpeg
    ED421251-F6D4-4B8F-9C94-ABC6F4F001DA.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
All those live cultures are so good for you..... beer, kwas, cheese, yogurt, kefir, filmyolk, ymer, ayran and my teenage boy’s under bed socks, but they run away before I could get a hold of them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
All those live cultures are so good for you..... beer, kwas, cheese, yogurt, kefir, filmyolk, ymer, ayran and my teenage boy’s under bed socks, but they run away before I could get a hold of them.
This is a daft story, though true, and absolutely nothing to do with nasty viruses, lockdowns, social isolation or busking a diet out of what you've got. But it is all about culture (culture as in yoghurt rather than a night at the Opera ;)).

Once upon a time when the world was young in an obscure corner of a place called Dorset the natives were crafty enough to skim the cream from their milk and still make an excellent cheese. This cheese was called Blue Vinney, possibly because it was a white cheese with blue veins in it. Tangy, full-flavoured and, at least locally, famous for its twang and its ability to make even the roughest of ciders taste good. As Progress happened, gradually, the milkers of cows stopped skimming their cream and making their own, special, cheese and instead sold all their milk to the Man. Came a time when there was just one farm, in one village, where the Vinney still sweated its way to maturity in the cool dark of the Dairy. And then even that was gone and the Man made Universal Cheddar, pale yellow, salty, toastable.

But, (isn't there always a but) one young family, awkward, some would say stubborn even foolish decided that the Vinney should live. They knew their cows used to give milk for the Vinney. They knew their Dairy used to make the Vinney. They would make Vinney. And they tried, and they tried, but they couldn't get the curds to turn to Vinney. They were puzzled and saddened. They knew they had built the lovely, modern, sterile, Dairy to the very best of standards but for some reason they couldn't make the Vinney.

It took an evening in the pub to solve their problem. Local opinion was that you couldn't make the Vinney without the Mother, the starter, the Yeast, Mould, Microbe whatever that triggered that particular and special fermentation of the curds that let the Vinney come. And to cut a longer, Tinker, tale short - the bar-maid (bless evey one of them), well, her Dad had been Dairy-man at that farm. He'd passed, as we all do, but the family, well, they'd left his old Dairy Coat hanging on its hook where it always had.

They soaked that old coat in a batch of skimmed milk and they took the curds and they pressed 'em in the 9 inch molds and they left 'em to sweat in that lovely new sterile Dairy....

And now they make Blue Vinney.

Some of this is true ;)

Now I know where all the food has gone! I'm on rations and using up what's at the bottom of the freezer.

I wonder what percentage of "some" is true.😛
I guess, really, its all true. Just probably not told in quite the way that other people might tell it. There was a cheese. Then there wasn't. Then there was again and the way that that was came about was more to do with determination and persistence than luck, but luck had its tiny part to play in the tale. The bar-maid whose dad had been Dairy-man in one of the last farms to make the Vinney and who overheard the conversation in the bar and who knew her old Dad's Dairy coat was still hanging on its hook and didn't know much about Yeasts and Moulds and Cultures but just happened to say and be heard by a bloke who did know all about Yeasts and Moulds and Cultures. That's all true.

All the rest of true is here https://www.dorsetblue.com/

This is a daft story, though true, and absolutely nothing to do with nasty viruses, lockdowns, social isolation or busking a diet out of what you've got. But it is all about culture (culture as in yoghurt rather than a night at the Opera ;)).

Once upon a time when the world was young in an obscure corner of a place called Dorset the natives were crafty enough to skim the cream from their milk and still make an excellent cheese. This cheese was called Blue Vinney, possibly because it was a white cheese with blue veins in it. Tangy, full-flavoured and, at least locally, famous for its twang and its ability to make even the roughest of ciders taste good. As Progress happened, gradually, the milkers of cows stopped skimming their cream and making their own, special, cheese and instead sold all their milk to the Man. Came a time when there was just one farm, in one village, where the Vinney still sweated its way to maturity in the cool dark of the Dairy. And then even that was gone and the Man made Universal Cheddar, pale yellow, salty, toastable.

But, (isn't there always a but) one young family, awkward, some would say stubborn even foolish decided that the Vinney should live. They knew their cows used to give milk for the Vinney. They knew their Dairy used to make the Vinney. They would make Vinney. And they tried, and they tried, but they couldn't get the curds to turn to Vinney. They were puzzled and saddened. They knew they had built the lovely, modern, sterile, Dairy to the very best of standards but for some reason they couldn't make the Vinney.

It took an evening in the pub to solve their problem. Local opinion was that you couldn't make the Vinney without the Mother, the starter, the Yeast, Mould, Microbe whatever that triggered that particular and special fermentation of the curds that let the Vinney come. And to cut a longer, Tinker, tale short - the bar-maid (bless evey one of them), well, her Dad had been Dairy-man at that farm. He'd passed, as we all do, but the family, well, they'd left his old Dairy Coat hanging on its hook where it always had.

They soaked that old coat in a batch of skimmed milk and they took the curds and they pressed 'em in the 9 inch molds and they left 'em to sweat in that lovely new sterile Dairy....

And now they make Blue Vinney.

Some of this is true
WONDERFUL, @Tincatinker !! And now, I shall look around for some Dorset Blue!! ~~ after we all get sorted out!
Edit: How far is Woodbridge Farm from Heathrow?? I could maybe add a couple of days to my return from next Camino??? ;-)

Last edited:
WONDERFUL, @Tincatinker !! And now, I shall look around for some Dorset Blue!! ~~ after we all get sorted out!
Edit: How far is Woodbridge Farm from Heathrow?? I could maybe add a couple of days to my return from next Camino??? ;-)
'Pends if you're planning to walk it. About 110 miles but through some lovely country. Otherwise a Train to Gillingham might shorten the stroll. Sturminster Newton is about nearest town & The Swan might do for a pilgrim's bed - sadly not a Albergue prices but they keep a decent pint.

Wait, Chris. The shave ice IS the dessert! Eat those one after the other and you're definitely having dessert first...then second dessert. 🤣 🤙

And...I'm from Hilo, where they invented loco moco. But give me poke any day over loco moco. Sorry, @CWBuff , but ... 😝
Haha - that means there's more for you! And you'll be so full that Chris and I will have the hula pie all to ourselves.
Lomi lomi salmon with anything. Except dessert. Malasadas.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all you wonderful pilgrims , and chefs and , eaters - this is my cauliflower fritters bubbling away. Too delicious with yoghurt and chopped mint dressing. I’m walking a few ks a day in New Zealand to reduce the eating pangs.
Loved the Vinny cheese story
X

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow , sounds too superb. Do you live in the countryside , Tinky ?

Wow , sounds too superb. Do you live in the countryside , Tinky ?
Not exactly. Small, pop. 22,000, coastal town. That said I have shingle beach, estuarine mudflats, water-meadow, woods, scrubland and open chalk downland all within 10-15 minutes walk. Only trouble just now is that much of my picking grounds are swarming with people who thought a Forager was the new SUV from Diahatsu ;)

Only trouble just now is that much of my picking grounds are swarming with people
Only trouble now is that many in self isolation are out and about getting in their half hour of exercise, which they never did before. Sounds like they have invaded your turf...I know they have mine.

Love your post, David! What's live yoghurt...I suppose I eat dead yogurt, but never knew it.😅

most yoghurt sold is just dead fermented milk with no health benefits, the biotics that caused the fermentation having been killed in the process - live yoghurt has living pro-biotic cultures which stay in the gut, enhancing the flora down there, pushing out the bad biotics and boosting the immune system as well as many other health benefits - scientists now know, for instance, that many cases of depression and mental problems come from bad condition of the bacteria in the gut, leaching out into the blood system and therefore into the brain.

most yoghurt sold is just dead fermented milk with no health benefits, the biotics that caused the fermentation having been killed in the process - live yoghurt has living pro-biotic cultures which stay in the gut, enhancing the flora down there, pushing out the bad biotics and boosting the immune system as well as many other health benefits - scientists now know, for instance, that many cases of depression and mental problems come from bad condition of the bacteria in the gut, leaching out into the blood system and therefore into the brain.
I guess living in the US we are a lost cause then...at least where I live. I do "think" I must of had live yoghurt on my Le Puy camino in France in 2018 as it was served in the gites every day as part of our meal in tiny glass bottles. I wondered what that was all about at the time. Maybe it cleaned my gut for the following 2 years!😛

I guess living in the US we are a lost cause then...at least where I live. I do "think" I must of had live yoghurt on my Le Puy camino in France in 2018 as it was served in the gites every day as part of our meal in tiny glass bottles. I wondered what that was all about at the time. Maybe it cleaned my gut for the following 2 years!😛
We (in the US) aren't yet a lost cause. ;) Try kefir - but read the label!! Look for Non-Homogenized, Live Active Cultures.

'Pends if you're planning to walk it. About 110 miles but through some lovely country. Otherwise a Train to Gillingham might shorten the stroll. Sturminster Newton is about nearest town & The Swan might do for a pilgrim's bed - sadly not a Albergue prices but they keep a decent pint.
Well, now, I failed to think about walking! Will have to look this up!! Something else fun to do during enforced homestay! This could be the option to changing Camino plans for Aug-Oct from Le Puy (undoubtedly, too many people)! Bless you, @Tincatinker !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Seek it out Chrissy - you will live forever (well, as long as you stay away from all other humans and don't touch any surface).

yogurtinfos.jpg

We (in the US) aren't yet a lost cause. ;) Try kefir - but read the label!! Look for Non-Homogenized, Live Active Cultures.
I live in a small midwestrn town. What you are saying sounds like a foreign language to me. I don't even have Trader Joe or Whole Foods unless I head into the Chicago suburbs and that will never happen...just saying.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If only I could find a supply of those awful thin soggy chips (fries), catering sized tinned tasteless peas, and some very thin sort of meat with a bit of bone in it that can be fried so that it is chewy, and maybe some white bread with a crust so sharp it cuts the gums ... plus a tiny frozen dessert still in the plastic container ... I could make myself 35 consecutive pilgrim meals and sort of virtual walk my way along the Camino ...watching The Way each evening ??

(I already have the wonderful Spanish wine so no problem there) ;);)

If only I could find a supply of those awful thin soggy chips (fries), catering sized tinned tasteless peas, and some very thin sort of meat with a bit of bone in it that can be fried so that it is chewy, and maybe some white bread with a crust so sharp it cuts the gums ... plus a tiny frozen dessert still in the plastic container ... I could make myself 35 consecutive pilgrim meals and sort of virtual walk my way along the Camino ...watching The Way each evening ??

(I already have the wonderful Spanish wine so no problem there) ;);)
We love it all the same, don't we, David! I'll take those meals in a hearbeat if I could be there now and life was back to what it was just a few short months ago!

Once you have your starter and can get a "Mother" going the only problems are milking the cow and finding enough friends who like yoghurt ;)
I'm in a small village, but have no cows of my own. I can knock on farmer's doors and ask to milk one of their cows...I am sure they would oblige. I have friends in high and low places...no problem there to share.😅

I live in a small midwestrn town. What you are saying sounds like a foreign language to me. I don't even have Trader Joe or Whole Foods unless I head into the Chicago suburbs and that will never happen...just saying.
Chrissy, do you have any local food co-ops? or dairy farms? (is that what they're called - can't visualize a farm that raises dairys o_O:rolleyes::rolleyes:

€149,-
Chrissy, do you have any local food co-ops? or dairy farms? (is that what they're called - can't visualize a farm that raises dairys o_O:rolleyes::rolleyes:
We have many dairy farms near me (they raise cows) and especially across the border in Wisconsin, not far away. They are starting to resurrect the old ways of producing artisan cheeses...yogurt, not so much.

We have many dairy farms near me (they raise cows) and especially across the border in Wisconsin, not far away. They are starting to resurrect the old ways of producing artisan cheeses...yogurt, not so much.
Be the first in line for the new "products", Chrissy!! :):) And talk to the owners, I'll bet they'll help you get a start on yogurt AND kefir - or sell it to you!!
¡Buen provecho!

I'm "birdwalking" here, David, a term my rather newly deceased sister used to say when changing the subject midstream. You are one of the Camino angels...just saying! I hope you get to use your wings again in the near future along the camino paths we all love and hold dear.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
just saying if no yogurt you could order yogurt and kefir starters and with your milk supply you could be the next Dairy Queen there?

Anything with Live Cultures
If you have them nearby - check out any European\East European grocery stores or supermarkets
they usually carry products like this

I’ll be right over! White or Red or Bubbly? Never mind, I’ll bring All 😷

Today, April 18th, was to be my first day, walking out from Pamplona, crossing Alto del Perdon, and stopping for the night in Puente la Reina. Alas, a Chinese bugger has stopped me, leaving me in quarantine in heaps of snow in The Arctic.

But as a substitute for the planned tapas fiesta I was looking forward to way down in Spain, we had to make it at home, with bolinhos, croketas, Spanish meat balls, tortilla (spicy), salade Russe, and chicken clubs. All homemade, except the chicken. And of course with plenty of full-bodied Rioja wine. I am full now.

IMG_1360.JPG

H

Happy birthday Chrissy. Home alone?
No, Alex, I am not alone...thanks for the birthday wishes and for asking. I have my hubby and one son with me, thankfully. Hubby has no interest in the Camino and he doesn't cook, although he is enjoying watching Efran's camino videos with me. My son is an avid backpacker (the AT, John Muir and Colorado trails) and has always accompanied me on my Caminos. A close driend is stopping by tomorrow with a gift at the door, and hopes to take me out to lunch when/if the coronavirus is gone!
Your meal looks fantastic and wish I could have been a 3rd person sitting at your table... I'm sure your company would have been pleasurable, like meeting at a dinner on the camino !😊

(Edited by Moderator)

Your meal looks fantastic and wish I could have been a 3rd person sitting at your table... I'm sure your company would have been pleasurable, like meeting at a dinner on the camino !😊
Thank you! Yes, imagine all the stories and reflections to be shared over a Camino meal.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bravo. I haven't made manicotti for years. I have a great vegan recipe for it. You've inspired me!

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.