• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cooking on the Frances currently?

Becky 59

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2018, 2021, CI 2019, CP 2022
Hi wise people! I am starting in SJPP on Sept 14, (solo 60-ish female), and wondering if any albergues have open kitchens for pilgrims to prepare their own meals. It would be lovely to do some of my own cooking, but is that happening currently? A second question for those on the Camino right now: are there any communal meals at any of the albergues happening? (or at the privates?)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Having some experience as a Hospitalero most kitchens are now limited to stoves and sinks. Dishes and cooking pans are no longer. Small villages depend on Pilgrim meals. Be prepared!I haven't been in Spain since the pandemic, maybe someone else will have more current information. Ultreya.

Hi wise people! I am starting in SJPP on Sept 14, (solo 60-ish female), and wondering if any albergues have open kitchens for pilgrims to prepare their own meals. It would be lovely to do some of my own cooking, but is that happening currently? A second question for those on the Camino right now: are there any communal meals at any of the albergues happening? (or at the privates?)
Simple answer to both questions is some do, others don't due to Covid restrictions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In the past, Albergues seemed to have only two of the following three: a kitchen, cookware, and a nearby store for food. Truly, never found the magic combination of all three and almost always it was no cookware! If it’s important for you to cook, bring EVERYTHING you may need.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In the past, Albergues seemed to have only two of the following three: a kitchen, cookware, and a nearby store for food. Truly, never found the magic combination of all three and almost always it was no cookware! If it’s important for you to cook, bring EVERYTHING you may need.
Albergue Santa Clara in Carrión de los Condes had all three in 2019 and other pilgrims and I made use of them to cook a shared meal.

Also Albergue de la Santa Cruz in Sahagun 😻 had all three in 2019 and again all three were used to cook a shared meal.

Of course, this year things will be different.

Having some experience as a Hospitalero most kitchens are now limited to stoves and sinks. Dishes and cooking pans are no longer. Small villages depend on Pilgrim meals.
There are still such things as dishes and cooking pans in many albergues, but it's true that several Municipal ones are closed currently for various reasons or "reasons" (sometimes it's plain irrational) so that; the number of equipped kitchens is lower this year than usual.

Some albergues with a kitchen have closed it "for covid", despite everything else in town being open ; some others have closed their kitchen because they need the extra income from the pilgrim menus due to fewer pilgrims.

Another factor is that several local food shops have closed, some temporarily others permanently from economic fallout from the covid restrictions, so that the availability of a kitchen wouldn't much help anyway.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On the Frances last September there were very few albergues offering communal meals. By the time October arrived the number of pilgrims was almost zero, and very many more albergues were shut, as were the restaurants - and i was in private rooms eating supermarket salads on my own. Restaurants for pilgrims had shut as pilgrim numbers were very low and restaurants for the locals were shut as no one had any money.

Might be different this year. I start from SJPDP on Wednesday morning so I'll see.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back