• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cookwear lunchkit necessity?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No. The Camino is not a camping trip, all the places you will eat will have flatware and such. Keep your pack as light as possible, bring nothing that you do not need! A fry pan, really? The only tool you will need is some type of compact swiss army type multi-tool for the scissors, tweezers, and a knife for cutting up cheese/meat/fruit that you want to snack on. I thought the corkscrew would come in handy.....never used it, everywhere you stop will cheerfully serve you wine, and pull the cork for you. Every coffee comes in a cup, every slice of tortilla comes on a plate, well, you get the idea.

Buen Camino

Certainly not as a "lunch kit". Where are you walking and are you intending to cook in albergues a lot? Kitchens (especially in Galicia) often do not have much equipment, but these days many are closed anyway.

I carry a sharp knife, spork and sometimes a cup. (Otherwise I use a yoghurt container and whatever "plate" my grocery store salad came on.) Most of my meals are purchased in a bar or restaurant, but I would always have some food that doesn't require either cooking or plates - nuts, bread, cheese, fruit, carrots, etc., in case I am stuck somewhere there is no restaurant available. This is especially true with the Covid uncertainties.

I also carry a corkscrew. Spanish wine does not come in screw top bottles!

In the off-season or on remote routes, perhaps a cup and immersion (coil) heater would be handy, but that's about it. No frying pan!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Im caminokuzzi. I leave from the USA in two weeks. Question regarding a list i saw regarding packing list for Covid. Is it really necessary to bring a lunch kit- fry pan, plates, flatwear etc???
Definitely not - I take only a knife, plastic spork, and a plastic mug.

I'd endorse all of the above - you will almost certainly not be self-catering but eating in cafés, bars and restaurants, so cooking equipment will be dead weight. The only provisos would be a spork and a plastic mug and the indispensable Swiss army knife (in your backpack, otherwise airport security will take it off you. And a plastic box is handy for takeaway lunch.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Voice of dissent. I wound up cooking a lot of my meals (I actually developed a cookbook of menus for my needs for my second camino). For that, I had a 450 mm titanium cup with lid, a 750 mm titanium cup/pot with lid, a spork (plastic - spoon on one end, fork on the other), a lightweight cutting "board" (thin film of plastic), a 4" ceramic knife (for cutting food) and a Swiss army knife.

My camino, my way. I used everything just about daily.

If you're not camping, don't bother. I carried a spork and foldable cup all along the Frances and never used them. A small Swiss knife is all that you need for the odd wild wine bottle opening or on the go charcuterie cutting... The basic rule is : if you wander if you need it, then you don't. You can always cope with the unexpected and in the end, it just add fun to the whole thing... Don't plan too much, live the present moment instead 😊

Voice of dissent. I wound up cooking a lot of my meals (I actually developed a cookbook of menus for my needs for my second camino). For that, I had a 450 mm titanium cup with lid, a 750 mm titanium cup/pot with lid, a spork (plastic - spoon on one end, fork on the other), a lightweight cutting "board" (thin film of plastic), a 4" ceramic knife (for cutting food) and a Swiss army knife.

My camino, my way. I used everything just about daily.
Good point. A small lightweight billycan e.g. from Decathlon might be handy for cooking in albergues that allow it. You can save a lot of money that way. You could boil water for tea/coffee and cook pasta etc in it. But handy, not a necessity.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I always bring an Opinel knife, a spork and a lightweight 1/2ltr pot that doubles as a cup.

Example: picnic / lunch on the way:

- Knife for cutting fruit, bread, cheese...
- Spork for eating yogurt.
- Cup to drink some of the wine that is offered by another pilgrim who brought a bottle from the last town and found out that it's too heavy to carry it to the next one!

Micro wavable cup with top,spoon, small knife. Under 2.75 inches. Buen camino

Rice cooker?

More seriously: SAK, titanium spork, Orikaso fold flat plate/cutting board have served me well.

1628840751399.png

use the bowl as a cup - the mug is useless.

There's a similar thing in the US marketed under the name Fozzils but much more expensive.

1628840891323.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Absolutely not. The only time you might need stuff like that is at the end of the season when many albergues and restaurants are closed and you are staying in a pension and buying food in a supermarket to eat in your room. I did this last October. A corkscrew is €1 in a supermarket. You might want a plastic cup to drink wine. And a knife fork and spoon set is useful, otherwise you might have to buy sliced cheese and sliced ham and a baguette to make a roll. But look, it's Spain, a modern, rich, European country, not Outer Mongolia. Anything you want you can buy there. Decathlon stores are fairly frequent and they sell everything you'll ever need.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Im caminokuzzi. I leave from the USA in two weeks. Question regarding a list i saw regarding packing list for Covid. Is it really necessary to bring a lunch kit- fry pan, plates, flatwear etc???
Thanks so much everyone for the input. The full circle of info gives me a lot to work with. Looking forward to the adventure and camaraderie. The cup and the spork and some beeswax covered cloth for a plate/cutting board/ or cover will have to do. And a small pocket knife. Personally Not looking forward to doing a lot of cooking. Buen Camino!

No. The Camino is not a camping trip, all the places you will eat will have flatware and such. Keep your pack as light as possible, bring nothing that you do not need! A fry pan, really? The only tool you will need is some type of compact swiss army type multi-tool for the scissors, tweezers, and a knife for cutting up cheese/meat/fruit that you want to snack on. I thought the corkscrew would come in handy.....never used it, everywhere you stop will cheerfully serve you wine, and pull the cork for you. Every coffee comes in a cup, every slice of tortilla comes on a plate, well, you get the idea.

Buen Camino
Thanks for helpful input!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Buen Camino
So helpful! Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Absolutely not. The only time you might need stuff like that is at the end of the season when many albergues and restaurants are closed and you are staying in a pension and buying food in a supermarket to eat in your room. I did this last October. A corkscrew is €1 in a supermarket. You might want a plastic cup to drink wine. And a knife fork and spoon set is useful, otherwise you might have to buy sliced cheese and sliced ham and a baguette to make a roll. But look, it's Spain, a modern, rich, European country, not Outer Mongolia. Anything you want you can buy there. Decathlon stores are fairly frequent and they sell everything you'll ever need.
Great news. Thanks

These look great. Can you use them in a microwave?
Thank You!

Would the recommendations be different if a person was eating whole food plant based and was really stringent on oil and therefore would not be eating at restaurants much?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
These look great. Can you use them in a microwave?
Not something I've ever considered before, googling suggested you can so in the interests of science:

brought a (US) cup of water to a rolling boil in the Orikaso mug piece so yes.

It's also dishwasher safe.

Obviously can't say about the Fozzil version.

This list is not based on current scientific knowledge about Covid in any way. It is not transmitted by hand contact, but by aerosol, and there is no evidence of it being transmitted in an outdoor environment. The only thing you need to carry with you against Covid is a mask. Every establishment has hand sanitizer if you want to use it. You will need to carry cash with you, as many establishments in Spain either do not or are very reluctant to accept payment by credit card.

And it goes without saying (which is why I'll say it), that if you are really concerned about Covid, you should be fully vaccinated before leaving on your trip.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Buen Camino
A Swiss army knife or one similar are not inexpensive and it wii not make it through custom's (unless you check your bag). Best buy a cheap parinig knife when you get Europe.

A Swiss army knife or one similar are not inexpensive and it wii not make it through custom's (unless you check your bag). Best buy a cheap parinig knife when you get Europe.
You can actually buy them in the camping stores in SJpDP (with the Camino logo!)

I read through this wondering how people traveled with a knife on carry on luggage. Answer: they don’t. You need to check a bag or buy a knife at your destination.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Buen Camino
I wouldn't even pack any cutlery. Just pick up some plastic ones from a local McDonald's -- for free!

I once packed a 'spork' from MEC, never used it...

If you're not camping, don't bother. I carried a spork and foldable cup all along the Frances and never used them. A small Swiss knife is all that you need for the odd wild wine bottle opening or on the go charcuterie cutting... The basic rule is : if you wander if you need it, then you don't. You can always cope with the unexpected and in the end, it just add fun to the whole thing... Don't plan too much, live the present moment instead 😊
How do so many of you get a Swiss Army Knife through security if all you have is carry on baggage? Twice, I have had one taken from me 😕

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I guess I would add that if you choose not to use disposables, a spork for eating something like yogurt or tuna from a store and possibly a cup would be useful just to avoid paper and plastic.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've only been home a few days from my Camino. You don't need anything. Some albergues are closed but not all. We didn't always stay at one, but the ones we did, provided what you would need there - Meaning if it had a stove top, there were pots, but a good majority of the just had a microwave.
I saw comments on knifes here... of course you can't take knives on flights, my buddy bought a small knife over there for a 1.5 euro and left it there before flight back.

@ApproachingBliss If you eat a special diet that requires cooking (for plant based, the pilgrims menu will be somewhere between completely useless and boring tasteless most of the time, sadly, and if you don't eat oil it will be very difficult to get anything at all), it would be wise to carry a small pot, knife and a spork, maybe a bowl/plate, or buy it on the way somewhere before Galicia (for example in Leon). Then you can buy ingredients from local shops and cook a healthy tasty meal (and share with others!). The albergue kitchens are usually equipped with everything you need, but not in Galicia. There they have big kitchens with absolutely nothing in there (for whatever reason). Or you cook until Galicia and then eat cold / raw food until Santiago.

Last edited:
Thank you good_old_shoes, that sounds about right for us. Even here daily, we pretty much stopped depending on restaurants to give us food and we carry food in the vehicles. I haven't tried to go toward raw food but it could be a possibility if we have little choice. Galacia sounds barren when it comes to kitchen availability. I especially like that you said, share with others! I love sharing good stuff and my spouse does too.

I bring a plastic knife, fork and spoon, a simple flat plastic plate that weighs little and slips easily back in my backpack in a ziplock; I also use it as a cutting board. Also, a small clear plastic glass for when sharing wine on a picnic...it has to be clear or it's not fun drinking it.🙂
Ooops! Forgot to mention I purchase a small paring knife in Spain, and I bring a variety of plastic ziplock bags.
I have never "cooked" my own meals on camino.
IMG_20210813_102409167.jpg

Last edited:
I usually bring a small selection of various sizes of ziplock bags (self-sealing plastic food bags) so I can carry opened packages of ham, cheese, bread, etc. as well as a small plastic container with a lid. I like to have picnic lunches on the road and the container allows me to carry a tomato (or fragile fruit like a peach) in my pack without it getting squished.

No! On my first Camino in 2008 I took loads of stuff, including a tent! At the end of the first day and together with several fellow pilgrims we ‘dumped’ in a charity box: tent, cups, plates, cutlery etc.
All the albergues I stayed in had everything you need to cook a meal…. except food!
I also found the same on my 2017 Camino.
So travel light my friend!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@ApproachingBliss Yes, it's nice to cook / share with others :) you can buy basic ingredients for plant based meals even in small shops, like canned lentils, chick peas, fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic... also fruits. Spanish oranges are wonderful! There are a few albergues that offer vegetarian/vegan food, but I haven't stayed there so can't say much about it. I recommend to be a bit less strict with oil if possible (Olive oil is quite healthy and what is used most of the time in this part of Europe - as a long distance hiker you also need more calories than usual, so it should be fine unless there's a health problem that requires a very low fat diet), and try some of the traditional food. There are options but you need to compromise sometimes to get a "taste of Spain". Buen camino!

Camino is not a camping trip--and that is its charm. And that charm is different from the AT or PCT. There are villages about every 5 km for snacks, coffee, minor medical supplies, water etc. It is possible to camp, self cater, etc but not necessary. On my first camino, coming from a history of backpacking, my expectations and planning tried to hard to to match the camino experience with my prior experience (see #42 above). In my late 60s for first camino, the fact that i did not need to carry shelter, food, cooking utensils, sleeping bag, etc was a blessing. So much so with a bad back and ailments of aging, thatI have had nearly a full year of nights in France and Spain since--treasured experiences that I otherwise never would have had.
I suggest taking the camino as it is and as it comes and not overplan or try to fit expectations. Of course, covid changes much. I'd still suggest following Nike's slogan.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd endorse all of the above - you will almost certainly not be self-catering but eating in cafés, bars and restaurants, so cooking equipment will be dead weight. The only provisos would be a spork and a plastic mug and the indispensable Swiss army knife (in your backpack, otherwise airport security will take it off you. And a plastic box is handy for takeaway lunch.
The airlines will remove your Swiss army knife from your backpack if it is carryon luggage. It will need to be in checked-in luggage.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My spork has been on 3 Caminos with me and have yet to use it once. Will it go with me again? Probably, though not really sure why.
I used mine more on my last trip when I took my coeliac husband, and my grandson. At 13 he ate just about every hour, and he was a fan of chocolate yoghurt and puddings in between meals, and sometimes in between snacks! (the joy of being a grandparent - you don't have to enforce eating standards). He often ate my husbands meals as well if they turned out not to be gluten free - which was often the case.
And my husband started to rely on tienda bought foods as gluten free food can be hard to achieve in albergue meals.
On my earlier visits I used them only occasionally - but the knife - I used that every day.

Not the airline - Airport security.
Yip, that's what I meant. I took a very small suitcase, which I checked in, carrying poles, knife, liquids, etc. Because I stayed at the same hostel in Barcelona at the beginning and end, I left the case (with my traveling clothes) in their luggage storage.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I buy an Opinel knife when I get there, and post home to myself when I finish the Camino. I now have 3!
I have bought them in Paris, Bayonne and Lisbon. Generally around 10€, depending on length, whether they are stainless etc.

Keep it simple. But if you do find you have more than you need, you can leave it behind (which is easier than running around in a foreign country trying to buy stuff you didn't bring): every albergue has a special box for 'Leave if you don't want it, take it if you need it' items. As you are flying in from the States, there is not much point trying to take your pack as carry on baggage - let it go in the hold. You won't save much time at the baggage carousel - by the time you have come through customs and immigration your pack will probably be there and Spanish airports are nowhere near as chaotic as e.g. LA, and you won't save any money, plus you can put dubious items such as penknives in your backpack. Buen camino. It will be fine - you'll be walking with or past several hundreds if not thousands of people who will be delighted to help you, and will.

I just buy a cheap knife in Spain
'If'. If you are coming in from outside Europe, e.g. from N. America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Korea, there is not a lot of point taking your backpack as carry-on luggage. On long haul flights, they don't charge for checked-in baggage and there is no discount for not having checked-in baggage: Ryanair doesn't go to Sydney, so you don't save any money. You don't really save a lot of time either and even if you did, an extra 20 minutes at the baggage carousel kind of fades in significance when you have spent the last 23 hours in the air or in transit. As we have to check-in anyway, we don't have issues with walking poles of Swiss army knives either. It's very different if you are travelling between European destinations though.

I’ll try (really I will) not to get tooo nerdy about this, but here’s my set-up.
Admittedly, not been on the camino since 2018 so everything based on 3+-yr old experiences. But the containers have been with me on all caminos from 2010 on.

I try and stay primarily in municipal/paroquial/donativo albergues. Most m/p ones have a kitchen, many have a useable set of utensils (not so much in Galicia). If you’re planning on staying primarily or exclusively in private places I wouldn’t bother with a titanium mug, but a bit of tupperware can be useful for storing soft, cheesey or liquid items like leftovers that you want to eat the next day.

Some places just have a microwave (tho’ most have cooker hob and microwave). However recently opened or refurbished municipals/paroquials often just have a microwave (probably lowers the insurance cost for fire risk?).
The items in the pic allow me to warm drinks or small food items (like noodle packs) on all set ups where there are insufficient utensils. (For those evenings where you arrive late in the rain and don't want to go out again)
The plastic container works in a microwave. The titanium pot can go directly on a stove (because it is single-walled - the double-walled versions aren’t designed to do this). Both containers are big enough to make coffee/tea etc for two - or expressos for many!
Coffee sachets in mercados tend to be decaffeinated. So you either have to hunt multiple outlets in a bigger town, buy a whole jar or bring your own if you need to be carrying an emergency caffeine hit (especially if up early and walking kms before the first café opens).
Likewise a few places stock smallish tubes of condensed milk, but these seem to be getting rarer. If you have to have some milky bit you are best to bring some powder with you.

As far as I’m aware (just checked search engine) here in Europe you can still bring a pen-knife with a blade of up to 6cm / 2.36inches as carry-on luggage. This is easily sufficient for cutting baguettes, veg, fruit etc. There’s a technique for doing this without a chopping board - practice before you leave. Youtube is your friend here.
However even a small pen-knife with a corkscrew will be confiscated by airport security. But you don’t need one nowadays as many wine bottles have screw tops. For those with a cork we now have youtube, which shows it is pretty straightforward to open these without a corkscrew….
Cheers, tom
camino utensils.jpg

Just back from the Camino, I can confirm that in almost all the albergues you are prohibited from using the kitchen. Simply No Cooking. During 32 nights I can think of maybe 2 or 3 places where you could cook, and I won't mention the name of those places because maybe they "stretched" the law to help the pilgrims on a tight budget to make their own spaghetti. Even there not more than 2-3 people were allowed to cook at the same time to keep safe distance.

At almost all albergues you can still use tables to sit by and eat your food, sometimes limited to just one person per table (Galicia), sometimes there are dividers to separate you from another pilgrim (see picture below from Astorga). Obviously you can get drinking water and wash your utensils, and washing liquid is usually provided. In some albergues you can use microwave, in others you don't. Some albergues provide electric kettle to heat water for your tea or instant coffee (which you must bring with you), but you can't count on that. I had my electric coil heater and used it daily but I tried to do it in a way that others/albergue staff don't see it.

Edit: forgot about the fridge. In most albergues you can't use the fridge. That's a bummer considering hot days in Spain. But you just can't share a fridge like before, especially that people used to forget or abandon stuff in the fridge and it stayed there forever. Not during the covid time.

Interesting fact, even if I made my salad at the dining area almost daily (carried a feather light plastic salad bowl with me), I was almost always the only person using the dining area in albergues. Seems like everybody just gave up on trying to prepare anything to eat in the albergue and went to eat out in the bar or restaurants.

I think it is hard time for Spanish students and others on a shoe string budget, but for those who can support the ailing restaurant business along the Camino, now is a perfect time to do it. Set meals in bars/restaurants in Spain, especially on the Camino Frances, are probably much cheaper than you would have to pay for in many European countries, USA and Canada.
Que aproveche! (enjoy your meal!) :)

Photo: Plexiglass dividers at dining area at Astorga's albergue
20210719_134851.jpg

Photo: Typically 2 course dinner with wine and dessert costs 11-12 euro (pictures below from Riego de Ambros)
20210720_202613.jpg20210720_204821.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

€149,-
I didn’t even carry a Swiss Army Knife. For me, it was too heavy and had too many items I didn’t think I would use. I took a small, folding, 3-inch pocket knife, a baby fingernail scissors (they have blunted points so I didn’t have to worry about them poking through anything else in my pack), a spork (which, as has been stated earlier, I also never used), and a small corkscrew (which - ahem - I did use). I wrapped duct tape around a small “golf” pencil. I took a small metal matchstick holder (those small cylindrical ones), and instead put a small swing kit in it.
My most useful item was the small scissors, an idea first picked up here on this forum as I was preparing for my first Camino years ago. I found the scissors very lightweight but safe, easy and efficient for cutting moleskin, duct tape, even parachute cord.
One skill I used but which I rarely see listed here n the forum was learning a few knots. I carried a length of parachute cord and used it a few times on several caminos to hang a line for drying, for putting up a screen, even for tying stuff together!
Buen Camino!!

Pretty much what some others have said - I carry a metal cup (for stoves) that also has a silicone cover/cap, and a plastic bowl (microwavable) with a tight cover. I have a Fozzil folding bowl - which I primarily use as a cutting board or serving bowl. (Fozzil advises to NOT use in a microwave!) And a large spork.

I've got some Swiss Army style knives but all of them are heavy/clunky with more tools blades than I need, so opt to carry a very small folding blade and a separate small corkscrew. The corkscrew folds up on itself and hangs on my keychain; so far it hasn't attracted any undue attention. without weighing everything separately It looks like it all comes out to ab

I've traveled enough for business and suffered through tardy luggage that I hesitate to check anything important - like my pack. At least on my outbound voyage. If I have it with me as carryon I'm confident I can comfortably suffer any delays/rescheduled/redirected flights. And at a minimum I can start my Camino or travels with MOST of my important gear and clothes. I check my poles and the knife, but figure I can live without those through any delays or replace cheaply enough if they don't show up.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As far as I’m aware (just checked search engine) here in Europe you can still bring a pen-knife with a blade of up to 6cm / 2.36inches as carry-on luggage.
Hmmmmm. I wouldn't bet on that

Hmmmmm. I wouldn't bet on that
Yes, I agree. I’ve travelled so many times in which an item gets through one airport check but doesn’t get through another. The last time, it was a half used tube of toothpaste. One airlines agreed that it wasn’t a dangerous weapon (except to tartar build up, I suppose) but the other made me toss it. Must have been a pro-cavity country.

@Kathy F., I have had a small clear plastic knife confiscated, and also a corkscrew bottle opener. Another time I had to take things out of my pack to show a security person a pair of very small children's scissors with rounded edges, although they did let me keep it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Most of the advice you are getting is based on pre-Covid conditions and the recommendation you are concerned about is specific to doing a pilgrimage during Covid and comes from the Consejo Jacobeo. I can see why you might be concerned. Nevertheless, I support the majority of recommendations that a mess kit is not needed.

The page you have shared is from the early days of the pandemic. As we know, knowledge develops and the advice we are getting is constantly changing. The latest advice doesn't seem so concerned about transmission through cooking and dining utensils. As well, reports from people walking the Camino currently don't indicate a need for a mess kit. So I think you are safe without it and not putting the Spanish in any increased risk.

Before leaving on the Camino Frances in 2019, I agonized over checking a bag so that I could bring my favorite Swiss Army knife. I decided that the cost of checking a bag would be equal to buying a new knife on the trail. I did bring a spork. I never bought the knife and never used the spork. On the Frances, you are never really that far from a small store that has a slicer. They cut the meat and cheese for you and you can rip the bread. A knife and utensils are unnecessary. The people I did encounter on the Camino who had purchased uncut chorizo and cheese ended up giving them away as they were too much of a hassle. Even on the longest stretch I encountered without a town, there were entrepreneurs who set up a barbecue and were selling sandwiches and pastries.

The people I did encounter on the Camino who had purchased uncut chorizo and cheese ended up giving them away as they were too much of a hassle.
Too bad they didn't give it to me...no hassle with my little knife and lightweight multi-use plastic plate I brought. I often enjoyed making sandwiches for a picnic lunch under a tree.

€60,-
Before leaving on the Camino Frances in 2019, I agonized over checking a bag so that I could bring my favorite Swiss Army knife. I decided that the cost of checking a bag would be equal to buying a new knife on the trail. I did bring a spork. I never bought the knife and never used the spork. On the Frances, you are never really that far from a small store that has a slicer. They cut the meat and cheese for you and you can rip the bread. A knife and utensils are unnecessary. The people I did encounter on the Camino who had purchased uncut chorizo and cheese ended up giving them away as they were too much of a hassle. Even on the longest stretch I encountered without a town, there were entrepreneurs who set up a barbecue and were selling sandwiches and pastries.
I rarely buy food in grocery stores to eat on the Camino, other than something like an orange or a chocolate bar. I eat 99% of my meals in restaurants and albergues. On my first Camino the only cutting tool that I brought was nail clippers, and never needed anything other than that.

The other cutting tool that I bring and use daily is my tiny needlework scissors - not for food though. Supersharp, they are great for snipping blisters - and I loaned them out almost daily to others for various reasons.

In addition I carry a 15cm X 8cm (6" x 3") collapsible microwave safe bowl and have learned how to cook a number of meals using it. From Sarria onward there is very little provision of utensils in the Municipal albergues.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last precovid Camino was 2018 , Primativo/ Verde/ Northern . We wish we had a titanium pot and frying pan with us . Came across two or three albergues with great kitchens but NO pots . To keep the cost down and take in the community of sharing along the Camino it was so nice to cook as a group and be together . Already looking to spring 2022 and the Sanabres with our new pots . Good walking.

I wound up cooking a lot of my meals (I actually developed a cookbook of menus for my needs for my second camino).
As I am feeling now, I would also prefer to avoid restaurants and bars and cook my own meals, but I am a terrible cook. So would really appreciate suggestions of meals easy to make to go (to eat on the Camino) or to prepare in the albergue.

This has been mentioned before, but I don't know what the current situation is - albergue kitchens were closed during the pandemic and may still be closed. Does anyone know if they are open now?

€83,-
As I am feeling now, I would also prefer to avoid restaurants and bars and cook my own meals, but I am a terrible cook. So would really appreciate suggestions of meals easy to make to go (to eat on the Camino) or to prepare in the albergue.
You can buy frozen meals and salad kits in most supermercados in Spain.

Carla, attaches is a PDF (it's about 12 MB) of my cookbook. Free to all digitally.

Attachments

• Camino Eats for the Solo Vegan complete PDF.pdf
    12 MB · Views: 32
Carla, attaches is a PDF (it's about 12 MB) of my cookbook. Free to all digitally.
Thank you, it is very generous of you, it looks great, I will absolutely give it a try. I'll practice at home and select the one I am able to do

€83,-
You can buy frozen meals and salad kits in most supermercados in Spain.
As I am doing the Camino Primitivo I am not so sure to find supermarkets in every village, and prefer something more "home made"

Titanium cup, Immersion heater, small knife with cover, and small plastic flexible thin cutting board.

Like some others…I use a titanium cup to boil water using an Immersion coil. Especially in colder months when many restaurants are closed I use boiled water to make precooked rice one can buy in cups from the supermarkets and add finely chopped raw veggies, like carrots, onions and peppers. I buy instant powdered mashed potatoes and add boiled water from my cup as well and add some milk and butter to make it rich. I use the boiled water for tea or chicken bouillon powder, or oatmeal which I bring from home. Many lodgings do not have meals or breakfast so in off season times an immersion heater and light titanium cup are a must for me.

Last edited:
Question regarding a list i saw regarding packing list for Covid. Is it really necessary to bring a lunch kit- fry pan, plates, flatwear etc???
Maybe I didn’t read it carefully enough, but I didn’t see any recommendation in that list to bring your own frying pan.

I was almost always the only person using the dining area in albergues. Seems like everybody just gave up on trying to prepare anything to eat in the albergue and went to eat out in the bar or restaurants.
Interesting. Beats me how that lowers the risk of Covid transmission.

Anyway, many thanks for the firsthand information Happy Penguin!

I've got some Swiss Army style knives but all of them are heavy/clunky with more tools blades than I need, so opt to carry a very small folding blade
I have a couple of Swisstools, and indeed they are heavy: too much so for hiking, IMO. Happily, there are so many different models of SAKs that it’s easy to find something suitable for every task or trip.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-23-at-10.12.32-AM-2048x1035.png

Titanium cup, Immersion heater, small knife with cover, and small plastic flexible thin cutting board.

Like some others…I use a titanium cup to boil water using an Immersion coil. Especially in colder months when many restaurants are closed I use boiled water to make precooked rice one can buy in cups from the supermarkets and add finely chopped raw veggies, like carrots, onions and peppers. I buy instant powdered mashed potatoes and add boiled water from my cup as well and add some milk and butter to make it rich. I use the boiled water for tea or chicken bouillon powder, or oatmeal which I bring from home. Many lodgings do not have meals or breakfast so in off season times an immersion heater and light titanium cup are a must for me.
Thanks for teaching me about immersion coils. I hadnt heard about them before. My luxury item in my pack (for April 22) is a lightweight thermos because i like to stop for teas and coffees along the road when im struck y the scenery or peace. My thermos goes with me everywhere (i do alot of remote travel on motorbike).

I was just researching to find out if most or many albergues had kettles or microwaves available so i could heat up water. seems not in covid times.

I cant find immeraion coils online in thailand (country im living in and will be coming from), so im wondering if immersion coils would be easy to find in France or Spain do you think? Not sure where best to look for them-camping stores?

Thanks for any tips.

Ps. Yes i will support the cafes along the way. Sometimes its just nice to appreciate nature in its raw state instead of from a commercial establisment. And hot tea along the road in the cold dark mornings makes the start to the day so much better...

Thanks for teaching me about immersion coils. I hadnt heard about them before. My luxury item in my pack (for April 22) is a lightweight thermos because i like to stop for teas and coffees along the road when im struck y the scenery or peace. My thermos goes with me everywhere (i do alot of remote travel on motorbike).

I was just researching to find out if most or many albergues had kettles or microwaves available so i could heat up water. seems not in covid times.

I cant find immeraion coils online in thailand (country im living in and will be coming from), so im wondering if immersion coils would be easy to find in France or Spain do you think? Not sure where best to look for them-camping stores?

Thanks for any tips.

Ps. Yes i will support the cafes along the way. Sometimes its just nice to appreciate nature in its raw state instead of from a commercial establisment. And hot tea along the road in the cold dark mornings makes the start to the day so much better...
Opps! Dont worry! Just found one! Slightly different name thats all..

so im wondering if immersion coils would be easy to find in France or Spain do you think? Not sure where best to look for them-camping stores?
Opps! Dont worry! Just found one! Slightly different name thats all..

Thanks, @Marbe2 for recruiting another member for the Electric Coil Club. Lots of enthusiastic forum members carry them, but I know there are some who find them cumbersome.

If you are going to be on an untraveled camino, you won’t find bars open at early pilgrim-friendly hours, and it can be a godsend if you want a jolt of caffeine before walking. For the Francés, Norte,Portugués, Primitivo, etc, it may be overkill.

My only additional bit of advice would be to use duct tape or something similar to tape the adaptor plug to the coil’s plug if you buy it outside the EU. Otherwise, the adaptor plug is likely to be left behind in an outlet

Thanks for any tips.

On the del Norte and Primitivo last summer, when the Covid rate was higher than it is now, every albergue had a kettle or microwave. (I also carried a thermos with me, and about 80 tea bags. The thermos served as my main water bottle when I finished with the tea in the morning.) An immersion coil seems just like extra weight to me that you will ditch after a few days.

Also, the kitchens were open in all of the albergues I stayed at.

Last edited:
An immersion coil seems just like extra weight to me that you will ditch after a few days.
If you’re on a camino with reliably furnished kitchens, I agree. But the usefulness of a coil increases as you go to untraveled caminos, especially those without albergue infrastructure. On routes like the Ebro, Levante, Catalán, etc, they may be your only opportunity for a hot beverage in the morning for many hours and many kilometers.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.