• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cooling Underwear

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I wore ExOfficio boxers on my last camino and loved them. Super comfortable and quick drying. I'll be wearing them again on my camino this year. The problem with cotton is that it takes ages to dry after you wash them. In my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with ExOfficio boxers.

Hey does anyone have any experience with the new ExOfficio SOL COOL Boxers? I know cotton can cool in the heat and kill when wet in the cold. I wonder how quickly they would dry.
You might take a look at Duluth Trading Co's Armachillo underwear. I actually bought a pair of the men's boxer briefs to wear under my hiking skirt, they are super comfortable and fast drying. (hope that wasn't TMI!!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey does anyone have any experience with the new ExOfficio SOL COOL Boxers? I know cotton can cool in the heat and kill when wet in the cold. I wonder how quickly they would dry.
My hubby liked Travelsmith's own brand of boxers, and also REIs. Both have lasted now through 2 caminos and headed out Friday on a third....so they DO wear. Oh, and he wears them all the time at home too. Ditto for the women's undies of the Travelsmith brand also - for all you ladies out there. I also wore Ibex wool ones, but the Travelsmith were lighter to pack and dried more quickly.

I have worn loose fitting ExOfficio boxers (NOT the boxer brief style) for four Caminos. They are now my daily wear, here in South Florida. At the risk of TMI, let's just say they are (IMHO) the most comfortable thing you can wear with cargo type shorts...also my daily uniform...:)

For a month-long Camino, three pair should be sufficient. One on you, one washed last night, and one washed two nights ago. This cycle works very well.

I found, as many other do, that the "three-set model" works well too. Some folks drop it to two total, one on and one off. But that presupposes a good place to do and wash and dry the shorts, socks, and shirts daily. On the Camino, it DOES rain fairly often.

Originally, I started doing Caminos carrying four sets. But that extra set of shirt, shorts, and two pair of socks cost me one kilo. The extra set got sent down the road to Ivar.

Now, for a two week or less Camino, I use this "three set" model with ONE pair of zip off cargo pants. After two weeks, they tend to get a bit funky, even if I wash the bottom legs as needed to remove mud and road grime.

For a month-long Camino, I will typically put an extra pair of sip-off cargo pants in a ziplock bag, at the very bottom of my rucksack. This all works FOR ME.

I hope this helps.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I wore ExOffocio boxers in 2012 and found them comfortable and fast drying, a little sweaty and hot when the temps are high but otherwise no problem Since then I have switched to Merino boxers, again comfortable and fast drying but more comfortable in the heat. Last word, avoid cotton IMO.
Buen Camino.

Avoid cotton. ExOfficio Give and Go boxers are great. I rotated only two pair for a month on the CP 2 years ago. Each day washed them with socks and shirt. They are the same material as Duluth Buck Naked. In a couple weeks, leaving for VdlP for 7 weeks. Still planning on only two pair. People WILL see your underwear. Take BOLD prints, not boring solid colors! :)

NO COTTON underwear or socks...PERIOD!

Merino wool or synthetic fabrics are the only material that, IMHO and direct experience work on Camino.

You will suffer uncomfortable and possibly serious "jock rash," or whatever women get in that area when wearing wet or damp cotton undies.

I hope this helps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You might take a look at Duluth Trading Co's Armachillo underwear. I actually bought a pair of the men's boxer briefs to wear under my hiking skirt, they are super comfortable and fast drying. (hope that wasn't TMI!!)
Duluth Trading has now come out with Armachillo undershorts for women! They must have become aware of how many women were buying the men's boxer briefs for themselves.

Duluth Trading has now come out with Armachillo undershorts for women! They must have become aware of how many women were buying the men's boxer briefs for themselves.
Oh oh!!! I will have to get some! I had some of their regular undies, and they are great! Yay!!

Update: ARGH!! I bought these same things under a different name when I bought the men's boxers that I use. They aren't very comfortable, and the crotch hangs kinda low, like you would want to wear underwear under them! I wrote a little review for them. Back to the drawing board...

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.