• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coping with Family Drama at Christmastime

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
I had a huge "FUBAR" issue this Christmas, but I survived to tell the tale.

Here is what happened...I had plans. Not perfect plans, but routine holiday plans. I would be going down to the in-laws for Christmas eve, where we would eat, drink, and probably get too merry. I planned to be the designated driver so my husband could get too merry, and I would drive him home, relaxed and snoozing in the passenger seat.

The next day, Christmas, we would open gifts around the beautifully lit tree, drinking egg nog and coffee, and enjoying exchanging our modest but thoughtful gifts with our niece.

For the Christmas dinner, I had a big dinner planned for five guests. My friend Sally, who is probably celebrating her last Christmas, due to health issues that are really challenging. I bought a prime rib, and all the trimmings. It would be a special dinner, her last big holiday meal.

Instead....

My niece had a serious seizure on the 23rd. I was at the Portland hospital with her until 2 AM, having a frightening time of watching her unable to think, talk, or function well. Doctors were puzzled. The emergency room was slammed with problems--a two-car crash with six people seriously injured. A gal who was having terrible pain owing to her kidney failure. An older woman with a detached retina. To top it off, the street people were pouring in, trying to get opiates for "pain". It was a waiting room full of colorful personalities, and all I could do was keep my niece warm with heated blankets, and plead with them to get her into a room.

Christmas eve I was again at the hospital. I got her home at about 3 PM, then spent the day monitoring her. I did cry myself to sleep, and I did pray to Jesus for her comfort, and also for the comfort of the lady with the eye problem, and the young woman with failing kidneys. And please, Lord Jesus, give the street people comfort and warmth.

This morning we watched my niece open presents. I had cancelled the dinner for my friend, so I went to her place with gifts. I had made her a special Camino calendar, with photos I took all along the Camino de Santiago. She absolutely loved it. And we exchanged many gifts, and many hugs and kisses. Tomorrow she will go back into the hospital, and on Monday, my sister will fly to Oregon to try to take care of her daughter, my niece. And so this is Christmas.

Today I celebrate what is planned, and unplanned, what is done, and undone, and all the joy of the season.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all who plan, pray, sing, and celebrate, I appreciate you and hope you are truly happy, no matter what actually does happen, or how! It is the mystery and the joy of Christmas. Merry, Merry Christmas. With love from Oregon.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Such a wonderful, painful but hopeful post Deb. May your niece recover fully, your friend experience grace, your husband joy and comfort, and your 2016 be full of happiness and love. And maybe a Camino?

Such a wonderful, painful but hopeful post Deb. May your niece recover fully, your friend experience grace, your husband joy and comfort, and your 2016 be full of happiness and love. And maybe a Camino?
Oh, perhaps two Caminos ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Who you comfort
Here.
Is being watched over
There.
And when time comes for you...
Much grace and such comforts you accorded
Will be given.

You were needed, and you chose to give..instead of thinking of yourself.

You chose to hold others before you...up in the raging waters of their lives.

No greater love exists in the heart and soul of a truly great woman , than one who gives so freely of them.

Your name
whispered tonite..
In the murmur of the River of Stars over Santiago..
Is carried around from Angels lips to Angels lips
Your star shone those nites..
Your star will shine.

I hope the Angel comes Gently,
Respectfully, when your Beloved friend is ready to take hand and leave this
Most mortal of coils.
To leave for the journey home at last.

I hope your niece finds healing sure and clear of her infirmitys.
I hope your beloved hubby
Takes you in arm and holds his wondrous wife anew.

Be Blessed All of you.

Hi CD
Life is full of challenges and would appear that you are going through one or some of them right now. As hard as this is for you, you are being an angel to others. Take conform and strength from that, hope the Camino does not have to wait too long for you...
Chris

Oh, my. Not at all the merry Christmas I was hoping you were having! I am sorry this happened...it's sad and so poignant. What to do sometimes, but go with the flow....? But your kindness and responsiveness made it a very deeply good one....and what goes around comes around, eventually.
You definitely deserve at least 2 Caminos!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Here is what happened...I had plans. Not perfect plans, but routine holiday plans. I would be going down to the in-laws for Christmas eve, where we would eat, drink, and probably get too merry. I planned to be the designated driver so my husband could get too merry, and I would drive him home, relaxed and snoozing in the passenger seat.

The next day, Christmas, we would open gifts around the beautifully lit tree, drinking egg nog and coffee, and enjoying exchanging our modest but thoughtful gifts with our niece.

For the Christmas dinner, I had a big dinner planned for five guests. My friend Sally, who is probably celebrating her last Christmas, due to health issues that are really challenging. I bought a prime rib, and all the trimmings. It would be a special dinner, her last big holiday meal.

Instead....

My niece had a serious seizure on the 23rd. I was at the Portland hospital with her until 2 AM, having a frightening time of watching her unable to think, talk, or function well. Doctors were puzzled. The emergency room was slammed with problems--a two-car crash with six people seriously injured. A gal who was having terrible pain owing to her kidney failure. An older woman with a detached retina. To top it off, the street people were pouring in, trying to get opiates for "pain". It was a waiting room full of colorful personalities, and all I could do was keep my niece warm with heated blankets, and plead with them to get her into a room.

Christmas eve I was again at the hospital. I got her home at about 3 PM, then spent the day monitoring her. I did cry myself to sleep, and I did pray to Jesus for her comfort, and also for the comfort of the lady with the eye problem, and the young woman with failing kidneys. And please, Lord Jesus, give the street people comfort and warmth.

This morning we watched my niece open presents. I had cancelled the dinner for my friend, so I went to her place with gifts. I had made her a special Camino calendar, with photos I took all along the Camino de Santiago. She absolutely loved it. And we exchanged many gifts, and many hugs and kisses. Tomorrow she will go back into the hospital, and on Monday, my sister will fly to Oregon to try to take care of her daughter, my niece. And so this is Christmas.

Today I celebrate what is planned, and unplanned, what is done, and undone, and all the joy of the season.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all who plan, pray, sing, and celebrate, I appreciate you and hope you are truly happy, no matter what actually does happen, or how! It is the mystery and the joy of Christmas. Merry, Merry Christmas. With love from Oregon.
Wish you and your loved ones all the best and love from the Netherlands, Peter.

It sounds like a very challenging Christmas, not at all what you had planned. We have been facing a similar challenge here, as my neice's mother-in-law, who was living with them, went into hospital a few days ago with a sudden and probably terminal illness. While close family have been supporting her, we have been sharing care of my neice's five children and all the Christmas preparations. Most of the burden has fallen on my sister-in-law, caring for her grandchildren and preparing to host about twenty people for Christmas. I have been reflecting on last Christmas, when my neice hosted Christmas for me and the woman who is now dying made a point of being very hospitable to me. In our living and in our dying we are so joined to one another.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
God Bless and keep you strong Deb,you are an inspiration.You have been on an even harder Camino than the one you recently returned from.I hope all the 'hugs' being sent your way from around the world will help keep your spirits up until you again walk the road to Santiago.

May God and Saint James bless those of you who have had a difficult and challenging time these last few days.
Your posts have made me count my blessings and be thankful that my Christmas has passed smoothly.

William Garza - what a beautiful post.

Wishing you all a wonderful 2016. May you enjoy health and happiness for you and your loved ones, and hopefully time on the Camino x

Deb, That was indeed an ordeal for you and your family. You seem just the kind of person that would give of herself completely in a situation like you had. May this coming new year bring your niece continued healing.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Who you comfort
Here.
Is being watched over
There.
And when time comes for you...
Much grace and such comforts you accorded
Will be given.

You were needed, and you chose to give..instead of thinking of yourself.

You chose to hold others before you...up in the raging waters of their lives.

No greater love exists in the heart and soul of a truly great woman , than one who gives so freely of them.

Your name
whispered tonite..
In the murmur of the River of Stars over Santiago..
Is carried around from Angels lips to Angels lips
Your star shone those nites..
Your star will shine.

I hope the Angel comes Gently,
Respectfully, when your Beloved friend is ready to take hand and leave this
Most mortal of coils.
To leave for the journey home at last.

I hope your niece finds healing sure and clear of her infirmitys.
I hope your beloved hubby
Takes you in arm and holds his wondrous wife anew.

Be Blessed All of you.
William, a very beautiful and touching post. God love this forum.

Instead....

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Life is full of surprises or perhaps just life itself. So much like the parable of our Caminos; blisters, strains, fractures and assaults. May those of us who walk find the grace to live our Caminos daily wherever our path leads us. Merry Christmas and Love sent to all

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Big hugs and love to you, Deb.
And Merry Christmas!
I've come to the conclusion if I wake up alive, it's a magnificent day!
Hallelujah that, Portland girl!

I was crying in church this morning---the sermon just moved something in me, and I turned to my husband and he looked at me and I felt the time was right to tell hm that...
my plans for the year include a pilgrimage from mid March to mid April. I've been trying to avoid it, but I just feel that the silent practice is the Way for me.

God bless you for being there for so many.
This Christmas, I was not the one "being there" for others.
I love being the one who steps up, the cavalry trooper riding over the hilltop for the last-minute rescue! It's gratifying, and fun. Until I am the one who needs rescuing.
This Christmas, someone else was there for me, when all my fine plans went wrong, and I was facing a Hell Week that just happened to coincide with Christmas.
I cried out in my trouble, and the Lord heard me, and I ended up in Santiago, singing carols and feasting, celebrating the finest Christmas in recent memory.
There still is some Hell to pay. It is humbling, being on the receiving end of the Helping Hand.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back