Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cornellana

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, does anyone know if the Hotel Cornellana is open. I have emailed them several times but no answer. Thanks in advance as we travel early June to do Primitivo.
Shauna, I just looked at my notes, as originally had that there was a hotel there (from the Cicerone guide), but someone posted on here that the hotel(s) in Cornellana are no longer operating, so I'd noted that. That's not much confirmation, but maybe I can find the original post for you where I got my information.

Thank you. I though that I had read somewhere it was not open but wondered if that was just temporary. Is there any other private accommodation there do you know?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you. I though that I had read somewhere it was not open but wondered if that was just temporary. Is there any other private accommodation there do you know?
All I see other than the Muni in my notes are that there are some "holiday lets" that aren't in the guidebooks, but I tried to check a few and they were booked at the end of April through when I needed them in June. Someone said that the monastery albergue in Cornellana is "lovely", so I'll probably stay there unless feel can make it the 9.4K to Salas in "level 4" terrain. Sorry there aren't more options - I don't sleep much in albergues and try to get private lodging also.

Hi, does anyone know if the Hotel Cornellana is open. I have emailed them several times but no answer. Thanks in advance as we travel early June to do Primitivo.

Hi. Passed through there a couple of days ago and both hotels are closed (I think they went out of business). Only option left is the albergue which I stayed in and is nice. I googled accommodation in Cornellana at the time and there are two holiday lets so it might be an option if you don't mind paying extra or perhaps grouping up with a few others. I phoned both and they said they were already booked out the night I needed. The albergue ended up being lovely so it all worked out in the end.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All I see other than the Muni in my notes are that there are some "holiday lets" that aren't in the guidebooks, but I tried to check a few and they were booked at the end of April through when I needed them in June. Someone said that the monastery albergue in Cornellana is "lovely", so I'll probably stay there unless feel can make it the 9.4K to Salas in "level 4" terrain. Sorry there aren't more options - I don't sleep much in albergues and try to get private lodging also.

I thought the albergue was nice. The earplugs worked their magic thankfully so I slept ok. (I too prefer private rooms as I'm a light sleeper). Yres I phoned both holiday lets and they said they were full. To be honest I got the impression they prefer longer lets.

I thought the albergue was nice. The earplugs worked their magic thankfully so I slept ok. (I too prefer private rooms as I'm a light sleeper). Yres I phoned both holiday lets and they said they were full. To be honest I got the impression they prefer longer lets.
Thanks so much, Irishgurrrl! Will hope to hear how your hike is going otherwise. All the best!

Thanks so much, Irishgurrrl! Will hope to hear how your hike is going otherwise. All the best!
Hola! I recently stayed in the albergue which is more inviting on the inside than the falling down exterior... but these are ancient structures and the church was open -a few seconds walk away-so the experience was very special. I am traveling solo but shared with other kind and respectful pilgrims...I left the window ajar for fresh air and starlight ⭐️ Good kitchen w pots and nice hospitalera called Gloria...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola! I recently stayed in the albergue which is more inviting on the inside than the falling down exterior... but these are ancient structures and the church was open -a few seconds walk away-so the experience was very special. I am traveling solo but shared with other kind and respectful pilgrims...I left the window ajar for fresh air and starlight ⭐️ Good kitchen w pots and nice hospitalera called Gloria...
Hola, Binya! Thank you so much for this! If you feel like it, there seem to be a few of us solo hikers coming through the Primitivo in early-mid June and I, at least, would love to hear about your experiences if it's not a pain to share them from the road. Buen Primitivo Camino to you!

I am losing track of time which is perfect... but for sure I will be ending the primitivo by late May...the walking is truly lovely ❤️ Shorter stages for me are best as yes there are many peaks and valleys...I have also been on the trail in varying forms for four weeks now. I so love being outside and I am the pilgrim who will always open the windows and ajar at night tooGiven I don't wish for long days. I took the lower route to polle de Allende. Wonderful wooded trails and mostly off the roads. Good views... so peaceful but energised by the land... I only saw two others...plenty of water fountains also..am on a teeny phone now writing ...rain falling as dusk settles, one word: mud!!)

I am losing track of time which is perfect... but for sure I will be ending the primitivo by late May...the walking is truly lovely ❤️ Shorter stages for me are best as yes there are many peaks and valleys...I have also been on the trail in varying forms for four weeks now. I so love being outside and I am the pilgrim who will always open the windows and ajar at night tooGiven I don't wish for long days. I took the lower route to polle de Allende. Wonderful wooded trails and mostly off the roads. Good views... so peaceful but energised by the land... I only saw two others...plenty of water fountains also..am on a teeny phone now writing ...rain falling as dusk settles, one word: mud!!)
Thanks very much, Binya. Those are all the same reasons why I hike......except maybe that mud part. It sounds like you're having a really good Camino and that information about the water fountains also is really helpful. Sleep well and a good road tomorrow!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have you begun your Way as yet Highlander?! At any rate, I am so impressed w helpful way marking...have not needed a guide at all...I just look up where I head the night before. Not super busy either and no need to book ahead which seems suitably in the spirit of the Camino in allowing fears to dissolve...cool morns and evenings.pack a beanie and wool gloves... good pilgrim hostel in Oviedo 6euro on outskirts before cathedral. Good Way and Buen Caminoing

Have you begun your Way as yet Highlander?! At any rate, I am so impressed w helpful way marking...have not needed a guide at all...I just look up where I head the night before. Not super busy either and no need to book ahead which seems suitably in the spirit of the Camino in allowing fears to dissolve...cool morns and evenings.pack a beanie and wool gloves... good pilgrim hostel in Oviedo 6euro on outskirts before cathedral. Good Way and Buen Caminoing
I'm out of here on Tuesday, Binya, and will start on the Norte on the 19th. That's good news about the waymarking - I think I've probably overdone the references, so may ditch a few of them to save an ounce or two since that's the case. Good news also about it not being super-busy. Thanks for being the advance guard, and have a good hike today!

Less is more Highlander! Resist the urge to overextend on your early days...the body and feet are more sensitive and need time to adjust. The pay off is Camino wisdom and no blisters or black toes!! Buen Camino may you hug many trees along your enchanted way!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
don't sleep much in albergues and try to get private lodging also.

Sorry, just for curiosity, what is it about albergues that puts you off? In particular, Cornellana is a lovely ancient albergue, with a fantastic patio and brand new facilities (at least they were in 2010!). I find sharing your space and the albergues with other pilgrims is an essential part of the camino experience (this is my own personal view, yours might be different, of course!)

Cornellana is a lovely little town!

Sorry, just for curiosity, what is it about albergues that puts you off? In particular, Cornellana is a lovely ancient albergue, with a fantastic patio and brand new facilities (at least they were in 2010!). I find sharing your space and the albergues with other pilgrims is an essential part of the camino experience (this is my own personal view, yours might be different, of course!)

Cornellana is a lovely little town!
Different temperaments, I guess. I do plan to stay at Cornellana's albergue if can work it out, and it matters little to me whether an albergue is old and crumbly or new and sleek, because the more important thing is that there are a few pleasant people IN them to share some interconnected time with. Mainly, I just don't SLEEP well in them, and several nights running with little sleep while hiking long distances and trying to be pleasant among others gets wearing. So I do what many do and mix habitaciones/pension rooms in with albergue stays. I do appreciate all of you more social people who make staying in albergues a good experience, though!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi HighlandsHiker, when are you doing Primitivo in June?
Shauna, I'm doing the del Norte first to Villiviciosa, then heading down (2 days more) to Oviedo - should be there maybe June 2? It looks like you'll be there in "early June", so maybe we'll run across each other. Beth

Last edited by a moderator:
Shauna, I'm doing the del Norte first to Villiviciosa, then heading down (2 days more) to Oviedo - should be there maybe June 2? It looks like you'll be there in "early June", so maybe we'll run across each other. Beth
We arrive on 6 June and will walk to Escamplero for the first day. Cannot wait to get started although not as fit as I would like to be, but will just take it steady. BUen camino

We arrive on 6 June and will walk to Escamplero for the first day. Cannot wait to get started although not as fit as I would like to be, but will just take it steady. BUen camino
It's really hard to wait when it's getting so close, isn't it! Yep, I never feel fit enough starting out either. Buen Camino to you as well. It's good to know there are a few others from here heading out soon - maybe see you on the way!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back