Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

COVID Cornonavirus Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaminoTrails

Camino Trails
Camino(s) past & future
(2017) (2018) (2020) all on the Camino Frances.
Hello, I am curious if anyone on the Camino has been infected with the Coronavirus? I am scheduled to fly on May 28th for my 3rd Camino with a newcomer and I am not sure if the virus has spread to Spain. Any input? Not trying to cause hysteria, just trying to educate myself and get prepared. Thanks and buen camino. - Olivia

D

Deleted member 67185

I had received a PM asking for a bit of information and viewpoint. This is what I posted back:
-----------------------------------

The new name for Coronavirus is now "COVID-19".

From my public health background, I have looked at this issue within two important parameters: Current practices of containment, and frequency of reported outbreaks within individual nations.

Containment:

The nexus point of the epidemic is China. China, itself, is working domestically to quarantine outbreaks and individual cases that are diagnosed. It has a huge self-interest in doing so from the standpoint of morbidity and mortality within their population, but also because of the great damage that will be done to their economy and national security if left uncontained.

Internationally, all first world nations have developed policies for containing any outbreaks or individual cases.

These containment practices have including restricting and barring travel from high epidemic nations, screening low-risk, but those with potential risk who are entering those countries for signs and symptoms of infection, and for requiring stringent public health monitoring and reporting of any cases even remotely suspect at doctors offices, clinics, hospitals and Public Health agencies.

As the result of the above, what has been observed in terms of spread of the coronavirus outside of China?

1. There will be no declaration that Coronavirus has been absolutely contained. That type of pronouncement would fly in the face of all things being possible.

2. It is probable that effective containment of Coronavirus is being seen. While all things are possible, it is the PROBABILITIES that are the most important issue with regard to the epidemiology of disease transmission and infections.

3. There are known vectors for transmission. Because of this, personally adopting strategies to interrupt these potential vectors can be done, even if there is no virus present in the larger community. Sort of a 'just in case' approach.

4. Because of the absolute concern each nation has to prevent a Coronavirus outbreak, I trust public health agencies and the government officials to keep the public informed. Too much is at stake at the national levels. This means that concerns about 'panicking' the public take a back seat on the bus, to making the public a partner in controlling the spread of the disease. . . the more the public is aware of what and how to look for potential illness, the quicker that potential outbreak can be dealt with and controlled.

Reported Outbreaks

It may seem surprising, but general travel-related outbreaks have been limited. Currently, the two of note are the outbreaks that occurred aboard two cruise ships in the Asian Pacific area. The possibility is that infected crew members boarded from that region.

Spain has had two confirmed cases: one in Majorca and one in the Canary Islands.

Total for all of Europe is 40. Most of those due to travel prior to the implementations of travel restrictions.

Assessment For Camino Travel

For air travel originating in Western Nations to Europe, there is little possibility, and virtually no probability, of coming into contact with COVID-19.

For travel on Camino, given the current travel restrictions and screenings, it is unlikely that a pilgrim infected with COVID-19 would be a source of concern for other pilgrims.

Because proper handwashing and using certified effective hand sanitizers are a normal precaution while on Camino anyway, this interferes with an important transmission vector of COVID-19 even if it were present.

Separately, if one were super concerned/paranoid/diligent/cautious (pick your adjective :) ), then I would limit the amount of poorly ventilated sleeping-lodging choice as possible. Instead of dorm-style sleeping areas where some pilgrims want to keep windows shut, stick to albergues which have private rooms. Or choose lodgings that are private.

But the point of fact is, even when sleeping in tight quarters, any of the Camino routes will not be much of a risk for COVID-19, if at all.

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
The most recent news I have seen - earlier today - is that only two cases have been diagnosed so far in Spain. Both on holiday islands in the Balearics and the Canaries. I have seen no reports of any cases diagnosed in mainland Spain. The situation is very fluid.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Dave, this is very encouraging news to hear for me as I leave in mid April for Madrid. Thank you for taking the time to explain in detail. This forum is extremely fortunate to have your expertise and wisdom at our fingertips on so many subjects.

D

Deleted member 67185

Dave, this is very encouraging news to hear for me as I leave in mid April for Madrid. Thank you for taking the time to explain in detail. This forum is extremely fortunate to have your expertise and wisdom at our fingertips on so many subjects.
The public health/epidemiological stuff is second nature. . it was one of the primary reasons why I was hired by a public health agency. After 17+ years doing that job, I got tired of dealing with State level meetings and committees where special interest lobbying and nonsense replaced sound public health principals in funding decisions.

Early retirement and other challenges, and now my own consulting business, along with more freedom to take on equipment testing contracts, was a great decision for me. BUT, I still subscribe to all the publications, including the CDC MMWR (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report), and keep my fingers in the pie. :)

CaminoTrails

Camino Trails
Camino(s) past & future
I had received a PM asking for a bit of information and viewpoint. This is what I posted back:

From my public health background, I have looked at this issue within two important parameters: Current practices of containment, and frequency of reported outbreaks within individual nations.

Containment:

The nexus point of the epidemic is China. China, itself, is working domestically to quarantine outbreaks and individual cases that are diagnosed. It has a huge self-interest in doing so from the standpoint of morbidity and mortality within their population, but also because of the great damage that will be done to their economy and national security if left uncontained.

Internationally, all first world nations have developed policies for containing any outbreaks or individual cases.

These containment practices have including restricting and barring travel from high epidemic nations, screening low-risk, but those with potential risk who are entering those countries for signs and symptoms of infection, and for requiring stringent public health monitoring and reporting of any cases even remotely suspect at doctors offices, clinics, hospitals and Public Health agencies.

As the result of the above, what has been observed in terms of spread of the coronavirus outside of China?

1. There will be no declaration that Coronavirus has been absolutely contained. That type of pronouncement would fly in the face of all things being possible.

2. It is probable that effective containment of Coronavirus is being seen. While all things are possible, it is the PROBABILITIES that are the most important issue with regard to the epidemiology of disease transmission and infections.

3. There are known vectors for transmission. Because of this, personally adopting strategies to interrupt these potential vectors can be done, even if there is no virus present in the larger community. Sort of a 'just in case' approach.

4. Because of the absolute concern each nation has to prevent a Coronavirus outbreak, I trust public health agencies and the government officials to keep the public informed. Too much is at stake at the national levels. This means that concerns about 'panicking' the public take a back seat on the bus, to making the public a partner in controlling the spread of the disease. . . the more the public is aware of what and how to look for potential illness, the quicker that potential outbreak can be dealt with and controlled.

Reported Outbreaks

It may seem surprising, but general travel-related outbreaks have been limited. Currently, the two of note are the outbreaks that occurred aboard two cruise ships in the Asian Pacific area. The possibility is that infected crew members boarded from that region.

Spain has had two confirmed cases: one in Majorca and one in the Canary Islands.

Total for all of Europe is 40. Most of those due to travel prior to the implementations of travel restrictions.

For air travel originating in Western Nations to Europe, there is little possibility, and virtually no probability, of coming into contact with COVID-19.

For travel on Camino, given the current travel restrictions and screenings, it is unlikely that a pilgrim infected with COVID-19 would be a source of concern for other pilgrims.

Because proper handwashing and using certified effective hand sanitizers are a normal precaution while on Camino anyway, this interferes with an important transmission vector of COVID-19 even if it were present.

Separately, if one were super concerned/paranoid/diligent/cautious (pick your adjective :) ), then I would limit the amount of poorly ventilated sleeping-lodging choice as possible. Instead of dorm-style sleeping areas where some pilgrims want to keep windows shut, stick to albergues which have private rooms. Or choose lodgings that are private.

But the point of fact is, even when sleeping in tight quarters, any of the Camino routes will not be much of a risk for COVID-19, if at all.
Good points on the lodging and proper handwashing.

Camino(s) past & future
Norte (2017-18)
Portugues (2015)
Frances (2014)
Hello @CaminoTrails,
I started a thread about a week ago "Corona Virus" and it has 100 replies. You may want to take a look.
That said, your question is new and specific to today and if the virus is affecting Spain.
You don't mention which part of the Forum it's in. How would a person locate it? Thanks!

koilife

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF w/ son #1 (2013); Logrono-Leon/Salvador/Primitivo w/ son #2 (2016); Portugues w/ son #3 (2020)
BUT, I still subscribe to all the publications, including the CDC MMWR (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report), and keep my fingers in the pie. :)
As long as you've used a "certified effective hand sanitizer" before sticking your fingers in the pie . . .

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
You don't mention which part of the Forum it's in. How would a person locate it? Thanks!
If you go to the search (magnifying glass on the top far right side), click on it and type in Corona Virus in the top box, then type in my name in the next box and it will pop up. It is also listed in the Miscellaneous section. Hope this helps.

Roaming_Wombat

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April 2020
Coronavirus deaths: 1400

Flu deaths every year: 650,000

Chance of catching coronavirus in an albergue? Pretty close to zero.

Chance of catching the flu in an albergue? Definitely possible.

Don't buy into the hysteria created by the media.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
It is to early to say how things will be in a few weeks/months, so far there is no reported case on any Camino here in Spain and only two, one already recovered, in the whole country. As others have written, keep an eye on reliable, official information, use normal precaution and don't panic ;-)
BC SY

Turga

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)

Containment:

Reported Outbreaks

Excuse me, but I think that you run a risk when giving general advice and assessments on a matter as extremely complicated as global epidemiology, no matter how much you, as an individual, “keep your fingers in the pie”.

I believe the only good advice is that given by @SYates:

keep an eye on reliable, official information, use normal precaution and don't panic ;-)

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
This one is a map updated many times a day with data collected by John Hopkins university.

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
The biggest concern, as far as I am aware, is that it is now very difficult to get travel insurance to cover delays, diversions, flight cancelations and so forth, caused by coronavirus (or Covid-19 as it is now called). And, of course, no medical cover if you should happen to be unlucky enough to contract the disease.

I won't travel without travel insurance, so am effectively grounded until the insurance companies treat it like any other illness.

D

Deleted member 67185

Excuse me, but I think that you run a risk when giving general advice and assessments on a matter as extremely complicated as global epidemiology, no matter how much you, as an individual, “keep your fingers in the pie”.

Noted: Post removed. This is the stuff I did as a professional, and is part of my consulting practice, but fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Level Neville

Camino(s) past & future
walk in 2020
Unfortunately that maybe at least another 1-2 years away until an antivirus vaccine is discovered. I feel a lot more safer in my home country than trying to get medical treatment while traveling overseas at this moment.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
The biggest concern, as far as I am aware, is that it is now very difficult to get travel insurance to cover delays, diversions, flight cancelations and so forth, caused by coronavirus (or Covid-19 as it is now called). And, of course, no medical cover if you should happen to be unlucky enough to contract the disease.

I won't travel without travel insurance, so am effectively grounded until the insurance companies treat it like any other illness.
My story, I was booked on a cruise from Singapore to Australia in February and March. My trip included flying from Perth to Sydney to catch up with some Camino friends there. The cruise was canceled and when I asked Qantas and my travel insurance company, AIG, for a refund they both refused!!!!

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
My story, I was booked on a cruise from Singapore to Australia in February and March. My trip included flying from Perth to Sydney to catch up with some Camino friends there. The cruise was canceled and when I asked Qantas and my travel insurance company, AIG, for a refund they both refused!!!!
Oh no!

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Yep, I have flight insurance for my upcoming flight to Bilbao from Miami in May, so I won't be asking the question about coverage until May rolls around, I hope they have a handle of the pandemic by then.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Yep, I have flight insurance for my upcoming flight to Bilbao from Miami in May, so I won't be asking the question about coverage until May rolls around, I hope they have a handle of the pandemic by then.
Do you think the cruise company will take partial responsibility for your financial loss? That is absolutely terrible what has happened to you, especially as I am aware that particular itinerary us "no small change"!
I suppose the cruiselines loss is huge in its own right, so probably not.

Last edited:

PK Smit

Camino(s) past & future
(015)Irun to Santiago
(017)Lisboa to S
2018Caminha to Santiago
(2018) Camino English Ferrol Santiago
Hi Chrissy, are you going to walk the Camino de Madrid and when will you start? Me and my wife will leave Madrid on 17 April

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Hi Chrissy, are you going to walk the Camino de Madrid and when will you start? Me and my wife will leave Madrid on 17 April
I fly in to Madrid on April 19th, but then have an additional short flight to Oviedo to finish the 2nd half of the del Norte and on to Muxia and Finesterre. Thank you for checking though...it's always nice to meet other forum members in person!

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Do you think the cruise company will take partial responsibility for your financial loss? That is absolutely terrible what has happened to you, especially as I am aware that particular itinerary us "no small change"!
I suppose the cruiselines loss is huge in its own right, so probably not.
It is a real bummer. The cruise line booked my flights from Miami to Singapore, Sydney to SF and SF to Miami but they were very grudging about booking the flight from Perth to Sydney. I did not understand at the time or even now what the reluctance was. The cruise line fully refunded all of my travel to and from but would not deal with the Qantas flight or rental cars that I was only partially reimbursed for by the rental car companies. It could have been worse, look at those people stranded on the boast in Yokohama, that was my big fear, other than the fear of getting sick, to be stranded at the end of March and not be able to get back into the US.

koilife

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF w/ son #1 (2013); Logrono-Leon/Salvador/Primitivo w/ son #2 (2016); Portugues w/ son #3 (2020)
I don't believe there was anything wrong with what Dave said.

It seemed to be a very sensible reading of the available information by one who has direct professional experience in global epidemiology. He was advising awareness and good practice, and he was assessing the information already out in both the public forum and the professional forum. He did so from a professional posture instead of the hand-wringing that most of us with a direct reliance on the news are limited to.

If someone like Dave can't comment, then likely there is no one else qualified to comment on the forums either. I don't believe it helps anyone when we bury our heads and let fear run the day.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I just had a conversation with a good friend who retired as an epidemiologist from the CDC a year ago, and he walked his first camino this summer. He too "keeps his fingers in the pie," and his assessment was along the lines of Dave's. Which is not, he pointed out, to say that things can't change for the worse, but government health awareness and containment measures appear to be appropriate and effective for the current situation. His final assessment, "If my wife would let me, I'd be there on camino now."

Last edited:

CaminoTrails

Camino Trails
Camino(s) past & future
It is to early to say how things will be in a few weeks/months, so far there is no reported case on any Camino here in Spain and only two, one already recovered, in the whole country. As others have written, keep an eye on reliable, official information, use normal precaution and don't panic ;-)
BC SY
Thanks and Im not panicking, only trying to get some input to be cautious.

Camino(s) past & future
2015 entire CF, Porto and CF again in Feb 2020
I think one is more likely to catch a regular flu. Once it gets warmer all those cold-borne viruses recede. So by the time you're on the Camino in May, all flu should be gone.
The media is really flaming the fires of fear on this corona-virus... please pass the lime. France just reported their first death from coronavirus. We'll probably have a few more, maybe even closeby. Like they say about worrying: if there's anything you do - do it, if there's nothing you can do then all the worrying in the world won't make a difference. I opt to wash my hands thoroughly - a LOT - wherever I am.

Level Neville

Camino(s) past & future
walk in 2020
It will be interesting see the seasonal & border control impact on the stats in the next few months. Fortunately I was able to cancel my flight from New Zealand without any penalties & prepared to make another booking via a better route in mid April if & when these threats stabilizes.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2019)

I think that the insurance question has two parts. Firstly "travel" insurance that covers delay, disruption and cancellation. In this area you are correct and almost all policies will exclude known, potential risks and so do not cover issues caused by covid-19.

However, "medical" insurance for travellers should not exclude cover for covid-19 unless you already are infected, are more likely to become infected or already have symptoms. Covid-19 should be no different from any other infectious disease.

So in this area you may not be correct but each policy needs to be read and understood and some policies may exclude cover.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2019)
The Lancet, a highly regarded medical science publisher in the UK has opened up access to covid-19 research to the public. This article, https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30260-9/fulltext is currently the best estimate for where and when covid-19 will spread to the rest of the world.

Unfortunately, things look grim. They estimate infections doubling every 6.7 days and so everyone should have a much better understanding of this in one to two months time. About when most of us had planned to walk.

simply B

Camino(s) past & future
somewhere between "not enough" and "way too many"

Well, @Turga, I respectfully disagree with your assessment. Based upon past education and experience in the hard sciences of public health (bacteriology, virology, epidemiology) I would have to say that @davebugg gave a reasonable and measured response to the situation.

1) In context, he provided common-sense advice to the specific issues/challenges of Camino-walkers, not a bit of it astray.

2) Reading the "authorities" output requires some nuance...and you have to navigate their webpages carefully. It is not their remit to answer highly specific questions, for the very simple reason that they must at all times be reticent and "stick to the numbers".

3) His notes were limited to a personal response to local situations with it being a given that one chose to be on the Camino.

4) "....assessments on a matter as extremely complicated as global epidemiology..." Actually, the advice given is a sure-fire way to limit spread by reducing the "R-naught" to manageable levels. And, btw, global epidemiology is not as complicated as it used to be. For a practitioner, one just assumes that the globe is just one geographical region with separations (firebreaks) residing only in a combo of genotype/culture.

Finally, to hit that last point on the head....

Here is the data over the last two weeks for all "ex Asia" stats:

Feb 1, 2020: 43 cases, 0 fatalities

Feb 8, 2020: 71 cases, 0 fatalities

Feb 15, 2020: 85 cases, 1 fatality, though the fatality is known to be a visitor from China.

Links:

So, outside of Asia the doubling rate is two weeks at best and data is currently suggestive of a slowdown in the rate of increase.

Unless we see a resurgent 2nd wave of infections in the West, health risks remain quite low.

The far bigger risk to any of us is the interruption of needed household goods from China. They have become the major originator of everything from consumer electronics to antibiotics (over 90%) to other prescription meds for various conditions, plumbing supplies, and car parts.

For now, I will continue to figure out logistics for a Camino from SJPP starting mid-April with my son, and my late Camigo's son.

Give it a couple of weeks. I am not a "Suzy Sunshine". I take risk very seriously. But the first rule of taking risk seriously is to not get excited. The second rule is to think for yourself in your own situation.

B

mdelag

Camino(s) past & future
**CAMINO FRANCES: LEON-SANTIAGO sept. (2015)
**CAMINO FRANCES SJPP-SANTIAGO (2019)
If you go to the search (magnifying glass on the top far right side), click on it and type in Corona Virus in the top box, then type in my name in the next box and it will pop up. It is also listed in the Miscellaneous section. Hope this helps.
I fly in to Madrid on April 19th, but then have an additional short flight to Oviedo to finish the 2nd half of the del Norte and on to Muxia and Finesterre. Thank you for checking though...it's always nice to meet other forum members in person!
I will be walking from Luarca TO Finisterre starting mid May...Buen Camino @Camino Chrissy

Geoff Shepherd

I’m the big fella on the left.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sep-Oct 2018, Aug-Sep 2019. Planning May-June 2020.
Hello, I am curious if anyone on the Camino has been infected with the Coronavirus? I am scheduled to fly on May 28th for my 3rd Camino with a newcomer and I am not sure if the virus has spread to Spain. Any input? Not trying to cause hysteria, just trying to educate myself and get prepared. Thanks and buen camino. - Olivia
I was in Singapore last week. Managed to fight off Corona-virus, but unfortunately succumbed to Tiger-virus.

Attachments

YMMV

Your Mileage May Vary
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Planning for April 2020)
I will be walking from Luarca TO Finisterre starting mid May...Buen Camino @Camino Chrissy
Stay current of WHO guidelines, follow WHO recommendations (not those of the fear media), and you should be safe.

To combat the misinformation and fear mongering about the coronavirus (COVID-19), the World Health Organization is being proactive and putting out educational videos on a regular basis. Here is a link to the WHO page https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019

I'll be walking from SJPdP starting early April.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock