A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

COVID Corona Virus Discussion Thread (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grayland

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
Last edited:

Arctic_Alex

Camino(s) past & future
Finished: Camino Frances April/May 2019
Canceled: Primitivo May 2020
This is the new thread to continue the discussion on the Corona Virus as it relates to the Camino.
Forum rules do not allow specific medical advice to be posted...for obvious reasons.

Remember....rumors, speculation and links to unconfirmed sources will be deleted in an attempt to provide the most reliable information.

Thanks for the cooperation.
Understood :)
But looks like humour was also not welcome ;-) Well, I will keep that in mind and discipline myself!

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
Regrettably I’m not now travelling to Spain in a couple of weeks time.

My wife is asthmatic and in her 60s and understandably concerned about the risk.

We don’t consider Spain to be materially different to the UK, but it seems appropriate to avoid the air travel.

By taking the decision now all it costs is a non-refundable airline ticket.
I’ll travel as soon as I consider the risk to have diminished.

YMMV

Your Mileage May Vary
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Planning for April 2020)
Does anyone know if there is official talk of closing albergues and hotels? I've seen a lot of rumours however I'm looking for up-to-date official sources I can check into regularly. Unless officials tell us not to go, my plan is to start the Camino Frances from SJPdP in early April. My biggest worry, at the moment, is that albergues and hotels will not open until later in the year.

Thank you in advance.

Kasper Smith-Jensen

Camino(s) past & future
Leon-Santiago spring 2019
SJPP - Leon (spring 2020)
I am flying to Paris om the 23rd and then train next day to SJPP. I will go unless the authorities close the borders or northern spain face the same issues Italy have right now.
In case virus starts to spread I might decide to take some hotel or solo rooms instead of large albergues.

Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
Does anyone know if there is official talk of closing albergues and hotels? I've seen a lot of rumours however I'm looking for up-to-date official sources I can check into regularly. Unless officials tell us not to go, my plan is to start the Camino Frances from SJPdP in early April. My biggest worry, at the moment, is that albergues and hotels will not open until later in the year.

Thank you in advance.
There is no known and verifiable discussion at Spanish government or regional level on closing the Caminos. Nor is there likely to be. There is no Camino authority, there is no-one in charge who could make or enforce such a decision. The decision to open or close Albergues or hotels will be made by the individual operators subject to the instructions of government and regional authority.

If we obtain verifiable information on closures or any other restrictions we will post them here.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
From the Hosvol newsletter published a few days ago. The original is in Spanish and there are some other translations as well. Essentially, the message is: go to the official sources. Take the precautions that are recommended. Hospitaleros can choose, as always, whether or not to offer their services. No indication that a sweeping closure will be put in place.

COVID-19. CORONAVIRUS EPIDEMIC
We all know that we are in the midst of a global health crisis due to the spread of a virus that started in China but already affects many countries; this is what started by the name of coronavirus – because of the appearance of the virus seen with a microscope – and which has had its own name for a few weeks: COVID-19.
In order to provide hospitaleros with minimum prevention standards, we searched the pages of the Ministries of Health, Foreign Affairs and WHO (World Health Organization) but the indications are intended for health professionals. However, we can get some information that will be very useful while we are in an albergue as hospitalero - and as pilgrims too - because we will be in contact with many people who we do not know about their previous situations and that will force us to be rigorous in our performance as hospitaleros.
On the one hand, we must attend with extreme care any suspicious symptoms that we observe in some pilgrim. The symptoms presented by a covid-19 affected are similar to those of any other flu: fever, cough, sore throat, expectorations and, in some cases, difficulty breathing. If we find someone in these conditions and even if it seems exaggerated, we must call 112 and explain the situation. Surely, they will put all persons present in an epidemiological surveillance situation (14 days). YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO THE HEALTH CENTER to avoid spreading if there were viruses.
On the other hand, we must promote customs of good hygiene, starting with us for our own health security. If we notice symptoms such as those described above, we must also call the 112 and explain the situation. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO THE HEALTH CENTER to avoid spreading if there were viruses.
Unfortunately and contrary to what Hospitaleros proposes but in the face of the danger that it may pose at the moment, it is necessary to avoid physical contact with someone who is suffering from respiratory infections, that present coughs, sneezes and expectoration, keeping the minimum distance of one meter. Avoid sharing personal belongings. Maintain good hygiene with frequent hand washing, especially after contact with sick people and their surroundings, with soap and water for 20 seconds or with alcohol-based disinfectants. Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, and it will be done with the sleeve of the shirt by putting the inside of the elbow on the face. Avoid contact of hands with mucous membranes (eyes, mouth, nose) as much as possible.
These situations may occur: 1. be or be in contact with a person who has been in a country affected by the coronavirus. If there are symptoms, call 112. 2. be informed about the disease and extreme hygiene measures.
The use of surgical masks is intended for people who are sick or in contact with sick people; they do not prevent the entry of virus into the respiratory tract.

Misinformation and prejudice against the coronavirus generate discrimination. Let's face it. Find out more at the official sources.
The Ministry of Health has information that is updated periodically and can be found in:
www.mscbs.gob.es/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov- China/home.htm (box Información para el ciudadano).
https://www.mscbs.gob.es/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov- China/documentos/Infografia_nuevo_coronavirus.pdf
Information in English:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-for-social-or-community-care- and-residential-settings-on-covid-19/guidance-for-social-or-community-care-and- residential-settings-on-covid-19
Traducción. Helena Roy

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
Mick McCarthy (Irish national football team manager) on Coronavirus:
A lot of these comments miss the point although government virologists in practically every country explain it day after day: we don't worry about the ego [whether you or I get it], we care about society, we ask you to help slow down the spread of the disease so that hospitals, schools, care homes don't get overloaded and can deal with their work over time.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
@Kathar1na posted this in the thread that has been locked, so I can't attribute the quote properly:
The Twitter feed of the Spanish government's ministry for public health - Salud Pública / @SaludPublicaEs - publishes the newest figures once or even more often at the moment.
So if you want up-to-the-minute information, go to that Twitter feed. You don't need an account (I don't have one and it works fine).
Just go to: https://mobile.twitter.com/saludpublicaes?lang=en

Here are their most recent posted data:
Salud Pública
@SaludPublicaEs
21h
Los casos de #coronavirus en España, actualizados a las 12h. de hoy, 4 de marzo de 2020, son:

Andalucía 13
Asturias 2
Baleares 3
Canarias 7
Cantabria 10
CyL 8
CLM 7
Cataluña 15
C. Valenciana 19
Extremadura 6
Madrid 70
Navarra 1
País Vasco 15
La Rioja 3

Total: 179

Last edited:

Peregrinopaul

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
Im fascinated by the interactive map and data posted by the Johns Hopkins.
There is a graphic the in bottom right corner which can be viewed as arithmetic or logarithmic. Here's the log graph.
The orange plot for China has been tending to the horizontal for some time. Am I correct in interpreting this as showing that the rate of change is tending towards zero? If so, indicating that the outbreak is under control.
Similarly the gradient for other parts of the world, yellow, though decreasing slightly, indicates that the RATE of change continues to increase?
Maths gurus go for it.

Attachments

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
"This is the first big global health crisis of the digital era."

This is a quote from a calm round table discussion on RTVE - https://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos...formativo-coronavirus-combatir-miedo/5530140/ - with Fernando Simón, the widely known director of the Spanish government's centro de coordinación de Alertas y Emergencias sanitarias, and two other leading Spanish virologists.

The title is Coronavirus. Fight against fear. A special broadcast aiming to separate the data from the rumours and scientific certainties from speculations.

Broadcast was yesterday, 50 minutes, they talk quite slowly and there is a full transcript that you can follow by reading while listening at the same time. May be interesting to those who want to get their information about the situation in Spain straight from a primary source. If nothing else, you will expand your vocabulary. Until very recently, I didn't know that brote means outbreak. 😇

Last edited:

longwayhome

Camino(s) past & future
SJpdP to Santiago ( Sept-Oct 2018)
A lot of these comments miss the point although government virologists in practically every country explain it day after day: we don't worry about the ego [whether you or I get it], we care about society, we ask you to help slow down the spread of the disease so that hospitals, schools, care homes don't get overloaded and can deal with their work over time.

I whole heartedly agree ! The small health centres and rural hospitals in villages inhabited by many elderly and vulnerable people will struggle to cope, and I say that as a medical practitioner in a well prepared country where we are about to face an onslaught that has us quaking in our shoes, panic buying, drug hoarding and cracking bad jokes. How will camino villages and towns manage? Assessing or treating febrile , breathless pilgrims en masse would be a huge medical challenge (several hundred pilgrim potential disease vectors a day in peak seasons roll through each village and town.) I suspect authorities will act rapidly when illness starts to appear in pilgrims, a mobile reservoir moving from village to village. I personally believe that is but a matter of time, due to the close sleeping arrangements many enjoy in albergues. This is also a big financial and insurance issue for many of us who are not covered in Europe and cant buy Corona coverage.

RennieArchibald

From the Hosvol newsletter published a few days ago. The original is in Spanish and there are some other translations as well. Essentially, the message is: go to the official sources. Take the precautions that are recommended. Hospitaleros can choose, as always, whether or not to offer their services. No indication that a sweeping closure will be put in place.

COVID-19. CORONAVIRUS EPIDEMIC
We all know that we are in the midst of a global health crisis due to the spread of a virus that started in China but already affects many countries; this is what started by the name of coronavirus – because of the appearance of the virus seen with a microscope – and which has had its own name for a few weeks: COVID-19.
In order to provide hospitaleros with minimum prevention standards, we searched the pages of the Ministries of Health, Foreign Affairs and WHO (World Health Organization) but the indications are intended for health professionals. However, we can get some information that will be very useful while we are in an albergue as hospitalero - and as pilgrims too - because we will be in contact with many people who we do not know about their previous situations and that will force us to be rigorous in our performance as hospitaleros.
On the one hand, we must attend with extreme care any suspicious symptoms that we observe in some pilgrim. The symptoms presented by a covid-19 affected are similar to those of any other flu: fever, cough, sore throat, expectorations and, in some cases, difficulty breathing. If we find someone in these conditions and even if it seems exaggerated, we must call 112 and explain the situation. Surely, they will put all persons present in an epidemiological surveillance situation (14 days). YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO THE HEALTH CENTER to avoid spreading if there were viruses.
On the other hand, we must promote customs of good hygiene, starting with us for our own health security. If we notice symptoms such as those described above, we must also call the 112 and explain the situation. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO THE HEALTH CENTER to avoid spreading if there were viruses.
Unfortunately and contrary to what Hospitaleros proposes but in the face of the danger that it may pose at the moment, it is necessary to avoid physical contact with someone who is suffering from respiratory infections, that present coughs, sneezes and expectoration, keeping the minimum distance of one meter. Avoid sharing personal belongings. Maintain good hygiene with frequent hand washing, especially after contact with sick people and their surroundings, with soap and water for 20 seconds or with alcohol-based disinfectants. Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, and it will be done with the sleeve of the shirt by putting the inside of the elbow on the face. Avoid contact of hands with mucous membranes (eyes, mouth, nose) as much as possible.
These situations may occur: 1. be or be in contact with a person who has been in a country affected by the coronavirus. If there are symptoms, call 112. 2. be informed about the disease and extreme hygiene measures.
The use of surgical masks is intended for people who are sick or in contact with sick people; they do not prevent the entry of virus into the respiratory tract.

Misinformation and prejudice against the coronavirus generate discrimination. Let's face it. Find out more at the official sources.
The Ministry of Health has information that is updated periodically and can be found in:
www.mscbs.gob.es/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov- China/home.htm (box Información para el ciudadano).
https://www.mscbs.gob.es/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov- China/documentos/Infografia_nuevo_coronavirus.pdf
Information in English:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-for-social-or-community-care- and-residential-settings-on-covid-19/guidance-for-social-or-community-care-and- residential-settings-on-covid-19
Traducción. Helena Roy
Thanks for your post. I'll be opening albergue Apostol Santiago in El Acebo on time, April 1. Using 112 instead of a hospital run makes sense.

RennieArchibald

I thought all the alliteration would get people's attention. This is a thread for pilgrims who are actually on the camino to feel free to post descriptions of what they see and experience. I know a few have been posted in other threads, and I will do my best to move them over here.

This kind of real-time information should prove helpful as the uncertain trajectory of the illness continues to unfold. We trust you guys to keep the discussion limited to this particular topic -- reports from people on the Camino.

Many thanks, buen camino, Laurie
Here is an English language site that can help keep people informed on this virus in Spain.....https://www.thelocal.es/

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
There is no known and verifiable discussion at Spanish government or regional level on closing the Caminos. Nor is there likely to be. There is no Camino authority, there is no-one in charge who could make or enforce such a decision. The decision to open or close Albergues or hotels will be made by the individual operators subject to the instructions of government and regional authority.

If we obtain verifiable information on closures or any other restrictions we will post them here.
Thanks for a very clear, concise and easy to understand answer. This is exactly what is needed in any "crisis".

Glenshiro

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy - León, Camino Frances (2012 - 2019)
Hi Glenshiro, I planned and payed 2 months a go a plain ticket to Edinburgh stay the night then bus to Inverness then train to Thurso then John O Groats to then the next morning
Hello, Ernesto.

I don't think you should have any problems arriving in Edinburgh airport. At the very most, they will check your temperature. When are you travelling? Once you are in the UK there will be no further checks (at the moment!)

Have you booked your train and bus tickets? If not, I would respectfully suggest taking the train to Inverness instead of the bus (It's a lot quicker) but then taking the bus from Inverness to John O'Groats, as that is faster than the train!

I would also advise booking your train tickets in advance, as they are much cheaper. You're obviously a very seasoned traveller, but any assistance I can give regarding travel in the UK, please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Only 7 European countries without detected infection by noon today: Malta, Vatican, Albania, Montenegro, Kosovo, Bulgaria and Slovakia.
The westernmost part of Kazakhstan is in Europe, and the country appears to have no cases.

Serbia appears to be free of it, as the only case linked to the country is, indirectly, of a person who travelled from Serbia to Egypt via France.

Cyprus is free of it too, though some hundreds of returning travellers are being kept in precautionary quarantine.

Part of Turkey is in Europe, and that country has no confirmed cases either.

Greenland can no longer be considered as part of Europe, even though for a long time it kind of was, so doesn't count.

I checked all of the other outliers that people usually don't think of, but all of the microstates including even Faeroe, except for Vatican City, have had at least one case.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
Every French Region now has cases ... :confused:

Ernesto.IT

Camino(s) past & future
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hello, Ernesto.

I don't think you should have any problems arriving in Edinburgh airport. At the very most, they will check your temperature. When are you travelling? Once you are in the UK there will be no further checks (at the moment!)

Have you booked your train and bus tickets? If not, I would respectfully suggest taking the train to Inverness instead of the bus (It's a lot quicker) but then taking the bus from Inverness to John O'Groats, as that is faster than the train!

I would also advise booking your train tickets in advance, as they are much cheaper. You're obviously a very seasoned traveller, but any assistance I can give regarding travel in the UK, please don't hesitate to ask.
Yes all booked and paid for, I live the 1st of April, that is if Ryanair does not cancel the flight.
Thank you Glenshiro.

MikeyC

Camino(s) past & future
CF - September 2016
CF - April May 2017
Shikoku - October 2017
Kumano Kodo - October 2017
CF - 2019
It may be of interest to have an idea on how countries stack up in their ability to deal with an epidemic. There is a ranking called the Global Health Index which provides food for thought.
I must admit to feeling some relief that the UK came out well although it dismays me how under prepared many countries are.

AlwynWellington

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
please see signature
I write from a personal perspective.

I am booked to travel from my world to the uttermost ends of the world (read UK) at the end of March 2020, to visit family in Canada in early July and return to my world in mid July 2020. My travel insurance will not entertain claims arising from epidemics and/or pandemics that have been reported in newspapers etc.

On arrival in the UK my intention was to return to north-east France and continue through western Switzerland and down through northern and central Italy to Rome. After wishing the Holy Father kia ora, my intention was to return to the UK and do some mid to long distance walks before returning home via Canada.

I had been watching the official European and local travel advisories and the generally recognised website VieFrancigene.org/en. The information from the former is very general and the latter concerning Italy is unchanged since 23 February and confined to a smallish area east and south of Milan.

At the beginning of March I emailed my extended family (two of whom reside in the UK) and all of whom understand my madness.

The consistent response from my family is travel to the UK and undertake any long distance walks up and down the length and breadth of Scotland, Wales and another country (whose name I forget but I am sure others can help me out).

And to discuss Canada closer to a decision-day.

Key reasons for not straying away from the UK included whether I would be able to travel away from any continental European country back to the UK. And conversations in languages at a level many times higher than the cost of an hostel bed for tonight, especially when Je n'parle pas Français, désolé and Non parlo Italiano, scusa, accompanied by appropriate shrugs and smiles, are my opening, central and closing gambits.

I will continue to look here for a wider range of hard information, in case things change dramatically in the next three weeks.

And I will read respectful posts concerning my decisions to date.

And I will start a thread looking for UK based walks of six day or more to add to the five I have collected information about when preparing for this years adventures.

Kia kaha tatou (to you all, take care, be strong, get going)

Sixwheeler

Camino(s) past & future
Arles Route (2013/2014 onwards)
I was due to fly to italy6on Sunday but cancelled a couple of weeks ago because of my age and pre-existing medical conditions. As things have turned out there I believe it was the right decision. Supposed to be going to southern France in a couple of months time but we'll wait and see how things work out before we decide to go or not. Fingers crossed.

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)

I am booked to travel from my world to the uttermost ends of the world (read UK) at the end of March 2020, to visit family in Canada in early July and return to my world in mid July 2020. My travel insurance will not entertain claims arising from epidemics and/or pandemics that have been reported in newspapers etc.

On arrival in the UK my intention was to return to north-east France and continue through western Switzerland and down through northern and central Italy to Rome. After wishing the Holy Father kia ora, my intention was to return to the UK and do some mid to long distance walks before returning home via Canada.

I had been watching the official European and local travel advisories and the generally recognised website VieFrancigene.org/en. The information from the former is very general and the latter concerning Italy is unchanged since 23 February and confined to a smallish area east and south of Milan.

At the beginning of March I emailed my extended family (two of whom reside in the UK) and all of whom understand my madness.

The consistent response from my family is travel to the UK and undertake any long distance walks up and down the length and breadth of Scotland, Wales and another country (whose name I forget but I am sure others can help me out).

Key reasons for not straying away from the UK included whether I would be able to travel away from any continental European country back to the UK. And conversations in languages at a level many times higher than the cost of an hostel bed for tonight, especially when Je n'parle pas Français, désolé and Non parlo Italiano, scusa, accompanied by appropriate shrugs and smiles, are my opening, central and closing gambits.

I will continue to look here for a wider range of hard information, in case things change dramatically in the next three weeks.

And I will start a thread looking for UK based walks of six day or more to add to the five I have collected information about when preparing for this years adventures.

If you find yourself in the North West of England, and Cumbria or the Lake District specifically (and only a fool would not ...), feel free to get in touch and I’ll give you a ‘local’ perspective.

MaryBS

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese Coastal (2020) and
Finisterre (2020)
I had planned to walk the Portuguese Camino from Porto in May, and then do some sight seeing in Spain. I now feel really torn because of uncertainty over all this. I have only budgeted for hostels and allergies, and while I am healthy it just feels a bit irresponsible to risk spreading the virus. And I doubt my travel insurance would cover the cost of a 2 week quarantine.
Plan B is to walk in Scotland, the West Highland Way. Shorter but tougher. And would involve camping so carrying a good bit extra.
Can I camp without booking? Can I risk wild camping? Will thousands of others be doing the same? I'd just equipped myself and bought a 36 litre rucksack. A bit small for this now...
Too early to know yet but it's hard to know what to prepare for, and whether to start making bookings...

RuthMB

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC (April 2020)

I've decided to do UK walks also. I was due to the start the CF with my cousin on 1st April, however she has bailed (I don't blame her for that) but I still want to go somewhere. I've been looking at britishpilgrimage.org website and also thinking of the West Highland Way. There are lots of options and the Camino de Santiago will be a dream for another day. Buen Camino

RuthMB

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC (April 2020)
I had planned to walk the Portuguese Camino from Porto in May, and then do some sight seeing in Spain. I now feel really torn because of uncertainty over all this. I have only budgeted for hostels and allergies, and while I am healthy it just feels a bit irresponsible to risk spreading the virus. And I doubt my travel insurance would cover the cost of a 2 week quarantine.
Plan B is to walk in Scotland, the West Highland Way. Shorter but tougher. And would involve camping so carrying a good bit extra.
Can I camp without booking? Can I risk wild camping? Will thousands of others be doing the same? I'd just equipped myself and bought a 36 litre rucksack. A bit small for this now...
Too early to know yet but it's hard to know what to prepare for, and whether to start making bookings...
I'm planning on doing the West Highland Way now also. I was due to start the Camino Frances on 1st April. I do believe there is hostel accommodation along the WHW if you don't want to carry camp gear. Probably not as cheap as albergues though! Buen Camino whatever you decide!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
The Great Glen Way is another option. Also, if two walk together, shared room costs might be cheaper. And another also, it will be shorter than Porto to Santiago so perhaps overall costs might be closer... Best wishes whatever choices you make.

Glenshiro

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy - León, Camino Frances (2012 - 2019)
The West Highland Way is the UK's most popular long-distance trail, and accommodation can be scarce, although wild camping (discreetly) is allowed.

Have a look at the Southern Upland Way (212 miles across the sparsely-populated south of Scotland) instead - definitely less crowded, fewer facilities, takes a bit of planning, but very rewarding. I walked Portpatrick - Sanquhar last year and intend to walk the remainder in June.

Arctic_Alex

Camino(s) past & future
The West Highland Way is the UK's most popular long-distance trail, and accommodation can be scarce, although wild camping (discreetly) is allowed.
Oh I have so fond memories of that one – although, that was 23 years ago (1997)!
I walked in early may and it appeared to get a bit crowded towards mid may already. Not sure about the situation these days.

Arctic_Alex

Camino(s) past & future
First airline to go under. More to follow ....?

They were in trouble before already.

What I fear more is the reduction of frequency in existing connections as demand drops. I already got one of my travel schedules altered by Norwegian and SAS announced that they probably will cut flights and if mine is affected I could rebook for free or get a refund. However, as my travel schedule end of April (non-Camino) is quite tricky and depends on precise timings, this could potentially wreck all.

ParistoCapeCod

"Come on mom this 14k isn't going to walk itself."
Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese, Primitivo, Norte. Hospitalera

The junta de Galicia does have a great deal to say about their Affiliate Albergues in the province, yes?

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
The junta de Galicia does have a great deal to say about their Affiliate Albergues in the province, yes?
We are asked to stick to facts, preferably from official sources, in this thread and not to speculate about what might happen in a week's time, or in a month's time or in 6 months from now although this is of course a concern for those who travel from far away and may have to make decisions now.

I'm naturally curious, have time on my hands and like to improve my Spanish, so I follow Spanish news on and off. The Galician albergues in particular and the Camino de Santiago in general simply do not get any mention in the current public discourse in Spain. There is debate about the effects on Spanish tourism and on events around the Semana Santa, the week before Easter which will start on 5 April, so that's pretty soon, and where crowds gather and where many Spanish and to a lesser extent foreign tourists travel in increased numbers but I've not read these articles and don't know what if anything they are planning to do about it. I was in Burgos on a Good Friday a few years ago - the town was packed and so were the streets and plazas!

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
(whose name I forget but I am sure others can help me out).
🤣🤣 🤣
Not to derail this thread but have a look here, Alwyn - there's a chocolate box of ideas in there!:

TaraUltreia

Camino(s) past & future
Pamplona to Burgos in 2012, Frances in 2013, 2015, 2017, 2018 and half in 2019. VdLP in 2020!
Which school did you pick, and why? I was booked into the Instituto Picasso on Plaza Merced in a week’s time and just cancelled for reasons indirectly connected to Coronavirus
I have an online Spanish teacher through italki and she's in Malaga. She recommended Malaga Plus. It's very inexpensive so I liked that and I booked. I'm probably going to stay an extra week here now to make up for the one I've lost because I've been ill. The staff have been extremely helpful and accommodating, but I don't know what the classes are like because I've missed the whole week :(

Aido

Camino(s) past & future
Frances - SJPDP to Logrono (2016).
Logrono to Burgos (2017). Burgos to Carrion de los Condes (2020)

Undermanager

Camino(s) past & future
Madrid (x2)
VDLP
Salvador
Primitivo
Finisterra / Muxia
Lana
YHA just sent this circular re their hostels for this thinking if a walk using them

††††††††

YHA Hostels are operating as usual and we will continue to follow the advice of the UK Government.

The safety of our staff, volunteers and visitors is our first priority and as a leading charity we recognise our broader role in supporting public health and wellbeing.

YHA already has very robust, detailed procedures in place to manage safeguarding and health. These are reviewed regularly.

We are advising staff, volunteers and visitors to follow the most up to date guidance and we are closely monitoring all of our operations.

The latest advice from the UK government is updated at 2pm every day and can be found here.

If the situation changes in a way which will impact our approach, we will inform staff, volunteers and customers as soon as possible through internal channels, the YHA website and other appropriate media.

We recognise that people may be concerned about their travel and holiday plans and our dedicated customer service team can be contacted on 0800 019 1700

Thank you for those people who have contacted us concerned about the impact on YHA’s charitable income.

To help us you can continue

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
The news here in Zafra this morning said of the three people who have died in Spain, two are in their 80’s and 90’s. The third was in his late 60s with serious preexisting health conditions.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
As of today, Denmark's Foreign Ministry has issued a travel warning for its citizens to the following countries in Europe: Germany, Italy, France, Austria, and SPAIN. This will mean that (Danish) travel insurance possibly is no longer valid for these countries. Norway has not given the same advice.

Stephan the Painter

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2020)
Foreign medical travel insurance for US residents

I just wanted to follow up on some previous posts I had posted on the last thread. This is for a Geo blue “voyager choice“ policy. They do in fact cover any medical issues while you travel, Including covid-19. Also medically necessary evacuation. The only exception being if you refuse to leave a location where the US government has told you you should. I spoke with a representative on the phone, and another representative emailed my insurance agent this wording:

Our travel medical plans provide coverage for injuries and illnesses resulting from terrorism and pandemics as any other injury or illness provided the following conditions are met:
  1. The covered person had no direct or indirect involvement in the terrorist activity;
  2. The covered person has not unreasonably failed or refused to depart a country or location following the date a warning to leave that country or location is issued by the U.S. government.
The two benefits associated with coverage related to being quarantined are the Post Departure Trip Interruptionbenefit covered up to $500 (only available on the Voyager) and the Extension of Coverage benefit (available on the Voyager and Trekker Multi-Trip). Neither of those benefits are on the Xplorer or Navigator.

Please note this has nothing to do with trip cancellation, which does not seem to be covered at all in relation to the Covid- 19 outbreak after Jan. 27. Note that the coverage related to being quarantined is only $500. Not very much.

Disclaimer: I am satisfied with this information, but I might be wrong. You need to check this for yourself.

Last edited:

Meara

It's only rock n' roll but I like it
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles May 2020
The problem in Canada, and particularly in my province (Alberta), which so far does not have a singe diagnosed case of COVID-19, is that the health services are already seriously overstretched, from having inadequate health care facilities for the population. Every winter the hospital administrators hope that Spring will come to help them manage facilities overstretched by the seasonal flu. Right now, news announcers on the CBC are passing on the hope that the flu season will end before the new virus overwhelms the system.
Sadly there's one in Calgary now.

I'm in Alberta too with a scheduled leave date to Madrid on May 18. What to do...what to do

Stephan the Painter

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2020)
Sadly there's one in Calgary now.

I'm in Alberta too with a scheduled leave date to Madrid on May 18. What to do...what to do
May 18 is a long way away. This outbreak seems to have only started in a big way a couple months ago. You still have 2 1/2 months where a lot can happen. It might fizzle out. Or get much worse. I think there’s no way to decide until you get closer to that date. I leave March 31. I figure I have about two weeks to decide.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Aragones-Frances (2016); VdlP-Sanabres (2017); Madrid-Frances-Invierno (2019)Levante
My response to this virus is largely emotional. I was defensive when members of my church suggested that I should quarantine myself for two weeks because I had been on an airplane when returning from Mexico. I am upset and angry that the local health authority has refused to say where the recently diagnosed case of COVID-19 is located in the very large Calgary health district. Since the woman who was just diagnosed was in that district feeling well and not diagnosed for a week before she became sick, I want to know whether she was at large in my city at that time or several hours' drive away. I was amused at the many local attempts to hoard household supplies before this case was diagnosed: now, I am not so sure about this. One thing I feel sure about now: I would never want to do what she (unintentionally) did: pick up this virus abroad and bring it home to be a risk to my fellow citizens. I am staying here, feeling vulnerable and carrying on with life as sensibly as I can do in this situation. When the situation changes, I shall again consider trips abroad.

Camino(s) past & future
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
A friend of mine who lives in a Camino city and works in a Camino-travel-related business, writes this AM that "the current international situation caused by coronavirus spread, even though Spain is safe by now, we've had a wave of last minute cancellations and travel plans changes."

But I'm not changing my plans!

Last edited:

Meara

It's only rock n' roll but I like it
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles May 2020
May 18 is a long way away. This outbreak seems to have only started in a big way a couple months ago. You still have 2 1/2 months where a lot can happen. It might fizzle out. Or get much worse. I think there’s no way to decide until you get closer to that date. I leave March 31. I figure I have about two weeks to decide.
I agree with you. I'm taking a wait and see approach at this point. My friend who was going to go with me is backing out so I'm now planning on a solo trip on the Camino Ingles.

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
A friend of mine who lives in a Camino city and works in a Camino-travel-related business, writes this AM that "the current international situation caused by coronavirus spread, even though Spain is safe by now, we've had a wave of last minute cancellations and travel plans changes."

But I'm not changing my plans!
I agree. If nothing else, if we get stuck with no lodgings we have decided we can volunteer somewhere they need hospitaleros.

Yambor17

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances October 2018, March 2020
I've been watching this thread for the last 3 weeks letting it scare the s#!+ out of me! I almost cancelled my Camino because of some of the things posted on here! (I'm not knocking the thread, it was/is also very helpful and informative. Maybe, too informative?) I am extremely thankful I did not. I'm at the Jesus y Maria municipal albergue in Pamplona. There's about 60 pilgrims here. THE CORONAVIRUS IS NOT AN ISSUE!!! We've hardly heard a mention of it and if you didn't watch the news you would not know about it. Everyone is being cautious, though. Not much hand shaking, lots and lots of hand sanitizer use. We brought disinfecting wipes with us to use on our bunks, etc. I saw about 10 other Pilgrims doing the same. We personally have not heard any talk of albergues closing? We did bring tents and sleeping pads if that does happen. We'll drop down to the Rota Vicentina and make the best of it.
I absolutely understand postponing your Camino because of the virus. It's scary, especially all the unknowns? But, as of now on the Camino Frances you'll be very happy not cancelling your Camino.
Buen Camino!

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
THE CORONAVIRUS IS NOT AN ISSUE!!! We've hardly heard a mention of it and if you didn't watch the news you would not know about it. Everyone is being cautious, though. Not much hand shaking, lots and lots of hand sanitizer use.
That was the point of the extensive and intensive official information campaigns. It's not my personal opinion, btw. It's exactly what I heard a leading government virologist say who is coordinating efforts to slow down the spread of the disease in one of the European countries. Marc van Ranst, btw, KU Leuven, a calm and calming public voice in his country: Within one week, we succeeded in making people concerned, and that was necessary. Panic is never useful anywhere, but being concerned is. It makes people want to know everything about the virus and change their behaviour. I now see people shaking hands a lot less and that is fantastic.

Have a buen camino!

LTfit

Veteran Member
anybody currently along camino scene any signs of hoarding, impact on getting basics?

my only fear at this point to be honest is leaving Schengen zone at the end if there is an restriction. Might actually try and get a long stay Visa ahead, which will make it a possibility to just go crash somewhere, worse case scenario.
I was in Ponferrada for 6 weeks and there were no signs of hoarding or worrying. Now I am running the Albergue Villares de Orbigo and the same here. It is quiet along the Camino but I have not noted anything else particular. A Korean woman stayed with us yesterday and she said that she had planned to stop in Burgos, train to Santiago and fly home but her flight was cancelled so she is continuing to Santiago.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
The news here in Zafra this morning said of the three people who have died in Spain, two are in their 80’s and 90’s. The third was in his late 60s with serious preexisting health conditions.
That is similar to the ages of the few people who have died of it in France.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
France has closed all schools and kindergartens in the Oise and Haut-Rhin départements. The French PM has suggested that these are a a "phase 3" measure, which gives an indication of how this would affect France in general if the whole country reached that stage ; although these are actually phase 2+ measures, and the phase 3 ones would be more restrictive ; information from the Oise Préfecture suggests for example that in such a situation, public transport could be affected, and that would IMO start to have a direct effect on pilgrims. (these are a bit speculative of course, but I am reporting on speculations made by French State Authorities ; I shan't add to them beyond that)

A rather political article in the London Spectator, that I shan't link to for that reason, has a quick snapshot of life in Italy in present conditions :

A dozen small towns in Lombardy are in lockdown. In Venice, the Carnival has been shut — despite those amazing masks. Here in Ravenna, many public places are closed: cinemas, museums, theatres and discotheques. Italians are also now required to maintain a distance of one metre from each other in public places such as supermarkets, bars, restaurants and churches, where the sign of peace is also banned at Mass.

Last edited:

Jay Es

Camino(s) past & future
May 2017 the del Norte, home via the Portuguse to Vigo, Planning a Via de la Plata for October 2018.
Wild camping in Scotland is free and not bookable.
Just watch out for the Haggis.

david malta

Camino(s) past & future
Leon Santiago March 2015
Pamplona Santiago March 2016
This is another site that covers all countries. Find Spain and click on source.

david malta

Camino(s) past & future
Leon Santiago March 2015
Pamplona Santiago March 2016
Is there any website with actual numbers corona virus cases in Spain by regions? Better live update
This site covers all affected countries. Find Spain, click on 'source' and it show a map of Spain with affected regions.

Pcav182

Camino(s) past & future
Francés, Norte
Hi all!

Certainly I can´t say whether people should come or not for their camino, but as a someone living in Pamplona, I must say that the mood here is quite calm. We have been seeing all the panic and hysteria going on in the US and other places where there are less cases. But overall eveyone here is just monitoring the situation and going about their lives as normal. No signs of panic here in Pamplona

Eve Alexandra

Camino(s) past & future
Astorga to Santiago in '17
Camino Frances canceled for 2020
The US CDC is advising at risk and older people to stay home as much as possible, see:
Aside from this, for those that don't meet the high risk category, here is what the CDC is advising for Spain in specific:
If you travel to Spain:

• Avoid contact with sick people
  • Clean your hands often by washing with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with 60%–95% alcohol
  • Pay attention to your health for 14 days after returning to the US. Stay home and seek medical advice if you get sick with fever, cough, or difficulty breathing
  • Avoid travelling if you are sick

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
When the time is right
Hi all!

Certainly I can´t say whether people should come or not for their camino, but as a someone living in Pamplona, I must say that the mood here is quite calm. We have been seeing all the panic and hysteria going on in the US and other places where there are less cases. But overall eveyone here is just monitoring the situation and going about their lives as normal. No signs of panic here in Pamplona
Really appreciate this information. For many of us on the cusp of starting our caminos this type of info helps is gauge how Spanish citizens are in this current climate of “fear” and “risk”.

Pilgrim Patricia

Want to do the VdlP again!
Camino(s) past & future
Via de la Plata; Hospitalera Miraz 2011
The problem in Canada, and particularly in my province (Alberta), which so far does not have a singe diagnosed case of COVID-19, is that the health services are already seriously overstretched, from having inadequate health care facilities for the population. Every winter the hospital administrators hope that Spring will come to help them manage facilities overstretched by the seasonal flu. Right now, news announcers on the CBC are passing on the hope that the flu season will end before the new virus overwhelms the system.
Your comment about Alberta health care has nothing to do with concerns about walking the camino. And as of March 6th, we have had two suspected cases reported here.

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
When the time is right
Up to 500 cases in Spain now, 716 in France. I am french speaking so listened to French news and they are considering going from a level 2 of the epidemic there to level 3 which may limit some public transportation.

Here is the link of the tracker I check regularly for cases worldwide.

..and here is the link from a spanish site showing where the cases are located. Just click on the red dot and you will see that there are now cases in Leon and Burgos.

I am still undecided. I am scheduled to fly out April 2nd. It will depend on the next few weeks. Last Saturday I took a picture of the BNO news site and there were only 35 cases in Spain at that time. The virus is moving, but I'm not throwing in the towel yet. It ain't over 'til it's over!

gerip

Camino(s) past & future
CF, Lourdes to Burgos, Oct 2018
CF, Burgos to Santiago, May 2019
Ingles, Sep - Oct 2019

eileene

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2012
Today the Ministry of Health in Spain has said they are taking steps to isolate the town of Haro which has had a cluster of cases due to a funeral. 60 people were infected. Haro is just north of Azofra, to the west of Logroño. We are hoping to do the Camino Portuguese in early June but watching the numbers climb every day. As we are in the ‘at risk’ group we may have to delay. We live in Andalusia.
Our news source is ideal.es also using Google Translate.

Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
I read one “official” post by either the government or a group that oversees the Camino which said that as soon as one case is reported onThe Way, that it will be closed down. Can’t seem to find the link now
Probably because it was absolute ?><*&^%. There is no group or organisation that oversees the Caminos - no one is in charge. The Spanish government and the provincial authorities have much more important issues to deal with.

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
I read one “official” post by either the government or a group that oversees the Camino
It is good that you put the word "official" in quotation marks, because it is not really the case. There are various volunteer organizations that advocate for the camino in different ways, and one representative made some comments that expressed one opinion on what should/might be done. This statement was widely quoted.

There are some municipal governments that operate albergues and can make official decisions for their own operations. However, the vast majority of accommodations and services along the camino are privately run and will be subject only to decisions at various levels of government jurisdiction.

That is why we are trying to keep these threads to the real official sources, and avoid speculation and miscellaneous opinions.

Andrea Mayfield

it's about the journey.....
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (May 2015)
Camino Portugues - Porto to Santiago (June 2018)
Only 7 European countries without detected infection by noon today: Malta, Vatican, Albania, Montenegro, Kosovo, Bulgaria and Slovakia.
The vatican now has 1 detected case -- NOT the Pope. Reported b y MSNBC on /friday March 6,2020

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
I live between St Astier and Perigueux; both of which are on the Vezeley route. I was told today that there is a confirmed case in both St Astier and Perigueux. I've been searching to find the reference from the government website but can only find this newspaper report.

https://www.dordognelibre.fr/2020/03/07/un-cas-de-coronavirus-detecte-en-dordogne/

This was a few days ago... but we've been told there is now at least one other case? Which is perhaps not surprising? http://www.dordogne.gouv.fr/Politiq...LE-AQUITAINE-1-cas-de-coronavirus-en-Dordogne

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
New York Times :

Italy’s government is considering the extraordinary step of locking down entire sections of the country’s north, restricting movement for a quarter of the population in a sweeping effort to fight the coronavirus not seen outside of China.

The Italian outbreak, already the worst in Europe and the worst outside of Asia, has already inflicted serious damage on one of the Continent’s most fragile economies and triggered the closing of Italy’s schools.

A Lombardy official confirmed that the measures being discussed would essentially close down the northern region of Lombardy, Italy’s largest and most productive, accounting for a fifth of Italy’s GDP, and would come into force on Sunday and last until April 3. Media have reported they would also ban weddings, funerals, sporting and cultural events, and criminalize bars that did not enforce strict rules about patrons keeping distance.

This would obviously affect anyone on the two main routes of the Francigena in the coming weeks to a fairly significant degree.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
These are the areas of Italy that people will not be able to enter and exit if the decree is passed, as it likely will be if it hasn't been already, from tomorrow 'til 3rd April :

This will include being unable to move between the affected regions themselves, so you could not travel say from Pavia to Piacenza.

As such, the only Francigena route that will be free of restrictions (for the time being) is the coastal Via Apulia one.

I feel very sorry for those of you that will be affected by these drastic measures ... :(

EDIT : the decree has been passed -- flouting it is punishable by up to 3 months prison.

Last edited:

CaminoTrails

Camino Trails
Camino(s) past & future
(2017) (2018) (2020) all on the Camino Frances.
Like so many others, I've been planning my Camino to begin on May 30th. I'll be flying in from Los Angeles, California to Madrid, then going to Sarria via a few side trips to Pamplona, Burgos, and Astoria. I have two friends that I will be traveling with and at the moment we are still going. We are going to keep eye and ears out to see if any albergues, hotels, airlines, and the Renfe will be limiting their services. I have airline tickets purchased and most of my rooms reserved. I am healthy and so are my friends, so I really don't see us as hi-risk other than the fact that we may not be allowed to enter into Spain from LA, or go home from Spain. Thanks to everyone and Ivar for having this forum to communicate legit information. I'll keep using this forum throughout my wait and on the Camino to report "real-time" news instead of rumors. Thank you all.

MMcA

Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP - Los Arcos(2012)
Burgos(14)
León(15)
Villafranca(16)
SdC - Fisterra(17)
Valença - SdC (2019)
Im fascinated by the interactive map and data posted by the Johns Hopkins.
There is a graphic the in bottom right corner which can be viewed as arithmetic or logarithmic. Here's the log graph.
The orange plot for China has been tending to the horizontal for some time. Am I correct in interpreting this as showing that the rate of change is tending towards zero? If so, indicating that the outbreak is under control.
Similarly the gradient for other parts of the world, yellow, though decreasing slightly, indicates that the RATE of change continues to increase?
Maths gurus go for it.
Peregrinopaul, I've be fascinated by that John Hopkins Uni map as well. I see that the plot of the graph you included is the logarithmic version, which somewhat masks the increase in numbers affected. If you switch it to the "Actual" tab and turn off the "Mainland China" and "Total Recovered" traces, the increase in "Other Locations" is still quite alarming.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Here's what a wise man/woman would say🤠 I'm a doctor and an Infectious Diseases Specialist.
This is a Facebook message posted by a Dr Abdu Sharkawy, Infectious Diseases Specialist, University Health Network, Toronto, and it's gone viral. [sic]

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April 2020
I was just thinking the same thing. Though I would probably need to show titer test results to show that I had already had the virus.
Me three. I already had some of the symptoms about 3 weeks ago. Everything except fever and cough. Basically, a cold and headache that lasted a week. I'm ready to go to Spain. It is sure looking iffy, but a lot can happen in a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 29.0%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock