A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Corona Virus Discussion Thread (continued)

2020 Camino Guides
Status
Not open for further replies.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Me three. I already had some of the symptoms about 3 weeks ago. Everything except fever and cough. Basically, a cold and headache that lasted a week. I'm ready to go to Spain. It is sure looking iffy, but a lot can happen in a month.
I actually had a very weird illness at the beginning of January while I was in Mexico, which began about 36 hours after I arrived. I figured that I probably caught it at the airport or on the plane. It was basically just a lower respiratory thing with a cough. I was also totally fatigued for about 36 hours, and had zero appetite. I didn't have a thermometer, but my friend who I was on vacation with told me that I didn't feel hot, so I don't think that I had a fever. After I was over the main symptoms I was still very tired for about 2 weeks.

BobM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
Human behaviour is mostly wonderful, but sometimes less than uplifting. One of the features of the coronavirus frenzy that completely baffles me is the Great Toilet Paper Shortage. People have come to blows over loo paper. See fight over toilet paper.

My supermarket is rationing loo paper, saying in a note to customers that "a pack of 30 rolls should last an average family for around 3 weeks". That is 10 rolls/week for a typical family of four people, all of whom will be at work or school for most of the day. 2.5rolls/week per person! What are they doing with it??

If it is like this on the Camino, heaven help us all.

Despairingly yours
Bob M

Camino(s) past & future
El Camino de Santiago
A lot of these comments miss the point although government virologists in practically every country explain it day after day: we don't worry about the ego [whether you or I get it], we care about society, we ask you to help slow down the spread of the disease so that hospitals, schools, care homes don't get overloaded and can deal with their work over time.
[/QUOTE
Precisely. My sentiments exactly Kathar1na.

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
The shortage of toilet paper is quite funny, but it is fairly easily explained. Many people are wisely stocking up a bit on essentials, so they can be comfortable during a possible 14 day isolation period at home. That would include toilet paper. So everybody has gone out to buy a bit extra - that doesn't mean they are hoarding or being ridiculous, but it does interfere with the daily supply and demand patterns.

The other evening I got a phone call from my 30-year-old daughter: "Mom! Do you have any toilet paper? I am down to my last roll, and couldn't get any in 3 stores." I said fine, I'll bring some. (Well, we didn't have a huge supply, but as the parents, we could always resort to newspaper.) That evening we went into our local store just in time to see fully stocked shelves at half-price. Apparently 2 hours earlier, the shelves were empty. So we proceed to buy generous supplies. :cool: 🤣

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
The shortage of toilet paper is quite funny, but it is fairly easily explained. Many people are wisely stocking up a bit on essentials, so they can be comfortable during a possible 14 day isolation period at home. That would include toilet paper. So everybody has gone out to buy a bit extra - that doesn't mean they are hoarding or being ridiculous, but it does interfere with the daily supply and demand patterns.

The other evening I got a phone call from my 30-year-old daughter: "Mom! Do you have any toilet paper? I am down to my last roll, and couldn't get any in 3 stores." I said fine, I'll bring some. (Well, we didn't have a huge supply, but as the parents, we could always resort to newspaper.) That evening we went into our local store just in time to see fully stocked shelves at half-price. Apparently 2 hours earlier, the shelves were empty. So we proceed to buy generous supplies. :cool: 🤣
Or the Sears catalogue, or corn cobs, or rags that were washed, all of which we used in my great grandparents’ outhouse before toilet paper. Lol.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago and beyond (own way - voie de Tours - camino francés - Biskaya - Manche)
Not sure if this is an official news source, but the map seems to show confirmed cases in Logrono, Burgos, Pamplona, and Leon. https://www.rtve.es/noticias/20200304/mapa-del-coronavirus-espana/2004681.shtml
Looking at the map, one thing is certain: the disease does not spread along the Camino Frances ... we are used to making it out on many kind of maps but not on this one. Currently 516 known infection cases in Spain, 476 active, 30 recovered, 10 deaths. Mostly imported or within small clusters. Follow the Spanish government's twitter feeds @SaludPublicaEs and @sanidadgob if you want to stay informed about the general situation in Spain.

Covid-19 8 Mar.jpg

Last edited:

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
The shortage of toilet paper is quite funny, but it is fairly easily explained.
There's also the fact that the corona is disrupting the supply chain -- and in France, this is still being disrupted by the ongoing strike action.

Karl Oz

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
Portuguese
Aragones
Sanabres
Piamonte
Elizabethpfad
Probably because it was absolute ?><*&^%. There is no group or organisation that oversees the Caminos - no one is in charge. The Spanish government and the provincial authorities have much more important issues to deal with.
I agree with statement that of course no legislative body controls the camino. But with complete respect, I would anticipate that COVID-19 is at the forefront of government thoughts at the moment.

Karl Oz

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
Portuguese
Aragones
Sanabres
Piamonte
Elizabethpfad
Human behaviour is mostly wonderful, but sometimes less than uplifting. One of the features of the coronavirus frenzy that completely baffles me is the Great Toilet Paper Shortage. People have come to blows over loo paper. See fight over toilet paper.

My supermarket is rationing loo paper, saying in a note to customers that "a pack of 30 rolls should last an average family for around 3 weeks". That is 10 rolls/week for a typical family of four people, all of whom will be at work or school for most of the day. 2.5rolls/week per person! What are they doing with it??

If it is like this on the Camino, heaven help us all.

Despairingly yours
Bob M
Actually Bob, that raises a very keen logistical issue - will there be enough toilet paper available? Or must pilgrims be prepared to carry their own supply?

Arctic_Alex

Camino(s) past & future
Finished: Camino Frances April/May 2019
Canceled: Primitivo May 2020
I agree with statement that of course no legislative body controls the camino. But with complete respect, I would anticipate that COVID-19 is at the forefront of government thoughts at the moment.
Numbers in Spain will rise drastically as they do in all countries. As I said earlier, the trend in Europe is quite clear and predictable – a doubling in numbers every 3 days in a pessimistic scenario, 6 days in an optimistic.

If this trend continues, with respect to numbers, the situation in Spain within a week will be similar to that in Italy today.

The question is,
a) how the geographical distribution within Spain will look like. This is something we cannot answer now.
b) if decision makers will react as it happens in Italy right now. If they "fence off" one of the regions the Camino leads through, there will be a problem for pilgrims.

In addition to that most people on this forum plan their Camino not within the next two weeks. How will the situation be in 2 months? If the virus will be widespread anyway, travel restrictions could be abandoned – but we simply do not know. The only thing that is for sure: The situation in one or two months will be totally different from now.

Karl Oz

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
Portuguese
Aragones
Sanabres
Piamonte
Elizabethpfad

Well, I respectfully disagree. Influenza, whooping cough or other common infectious diseases might keep you home for weeks at a time too, but these diseases do not provoke a 'run' on toilet paper supplies.
I also also went to the supermarket last weekend to get some toilet paper, as I was out of it. Bare shelves except, oddly and perhaps irrationally, for the bulk 20-roll packs, one of which I gladly bought. I guess I'm ready to bunker-down!

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago and beyond (own way - voie de Tours - camino francés - Biskaya - Manche)
I'm amused by this constant talk about panic because I don't see anyone around here in panic. And I'm in the midst of it all, so to speak. But people do shop a bit more for groceries, apparently - I asked the cashier at the supermarket recently and she confirmed.

I looked into dictionaries. I know that panic buying is called Hamsterkauf in German (buying like a hamster) and for French and Spanish all that came up is achat de ravitallement (buying provisions) and acaparamiento (buying lots?). So for the record, I may be a hamster but not a panicky hamster. Also, I've already eaten the content of 5 of the tins I bought recently, and now I don't have any full tins anymore. 😂

Dadhairday

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte (2020)
From today’s Observer newspaper (trusted):

“In Spain, police reported they were preparing to lock down entire blocks of flats after dozens of coronavirus cases were traced to a funeral held in the Basque country two weeks ago. Spain has so far confirmed 430 cases of the virus – 60 of which originated among people who attended the funeral service in the Basque city of Vitoria-Gasteiz with most concentrated in the nearby towns of Haro and Casalarreina.

Local authorities said police would be “reinforcing home isolation controls” in Haro and limiting access to the town’s health centre. “We need to take exceptional measures designed to stop the transmission of the illness,” said the regional health minister, Sara Alba. The death toll from the virus in Spain currently stands at 10.”

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
I looked into dictionaries. I know that panic buying is called ... for French and Spanish all that came up is achat de ravitallement (buying provisions)
The Belgians do use "achats panique", but the French say either "achats de précaution" or "frénésie d'achats" as the case may be ... :p

MikeyC

Camino(s) past & future
CF - September 2016
CF - April May 2017
Shikoku - October 2017
Kumano Kodo - October 2017
CF - 2019
I have just listened to a half hour podcast which has been the most informative and objective that I have heard on the coronavirus. There is unwelcome advice on international travel. Also, men may not be at greater risk - Chinese men are heavy smokers which may be a factor but the west has other issues such as obesity and more people with underlying health issues that would not be alive in other health systems.

Background

Michael Osterholm, Ph.D, Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, joins CBS News Medical Contributor Dr. Tara Narula to discuss what people need to know about the coronavirus. Osterholm says the U.S. healthcare system is not prepared and shares what we know about how the virus spreads and who it impacts the most. He tells Dr. Narula what underlining risk factors may be impacting fatality and if someone with no symptoms can still be infected. Plus, Osterholm comments on what recovery from the virus looks like and whether the changing of seasons may help end the spread of the coronavirus.

Last edited:

Rick H

Camino(s) past & future
2018 from Leon to Santiago
Frances Sep-Oct 2019
As I saw many Koreans on my Camino in the fall, and I know the Camino is popular among them, I am surprised Spain has not restricted travel yet from Korea. Remember the danger is not that our healthy selves cannot withstand the virus, its that we might carry the virus unknown to us and infect some who could not withstand it. I'd expect Spain to limit travel into their country in the next week or so given the current growth rates. In the US, test kits will finally be available en masse this week. I expect our case load to increase enormously as a result.

Peregrinopaul

Camino(s) past & future
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
My supermarket is rationing loo paper,
This was taken today in our local supermarket in Carnarvon, (pop 7500)
The other 17 aisles were well stocked with trivial items ...like food.

IMG_0127.jpeg

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
When the time is right
From health authorities in Spain (Twitter Salud Pública)
Casos de #Coronavirus en España, actualizados a las 12h de hoy, 8 de marzo:

Andalucía 35
Aragón 13
Asturias 7
Baleares 8
Canarias 17
Cantabria 12
CLM 15
CyL 22
Cataluña 49
C.Valenciana 37
Extremadura 6
Galicia 5
Madrid 202
Murcia 1
Navarra 3
País Vasco 102
La Rioja 55

TOTAL 589

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
FOMO = Fear of missing out, apparently a well-known behaviour pattern of consumers.

I took a friend who doesn't have a car to a supermarket recently. We had seen the photos of empty shelves on social media and news media and were deeply disappointed to find shelves filled with toilet paper and household paper in our supermarket. Luckily, there was a small shelf for hand sanitizer gels and it was empty. So my friend took a photo and published it on her FB page. 🥳:rolleyes:

Btw, like many, I have a small bottle of hand sanitiser gel that I bought years ago and that has travelled with me every time I went camino-ing. I've used it sparingly.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2019)
A direct quote from a joint WHO and China CDC report published 28 Feb on an analysis of "confirmed" cases in China, that shows information about risk:
"As of 20 February, 2114 of the 55,924 laboratory confirmed cases have died (crude fatality
ratio [CFR2
] 3.8%) (note: at least some of whom were identified using a case definition that
included pulmonary disease). The overall CFR varies by location and intensity of
transmission (i.e. 5.8% in Wuhan vs. 0.7% in other areas in China). In China, the overall CFR
was higher in the early stages of the outbreak (17.3% for cases with symptom onset from 1-
10 January) and has reduced over time to 0.7% for patients with symptom onset after 1
February (Figure 4). The Joint Mission noted that the standard of care has evolved over the
course of the outbreak.
Mortality increases with age, with the highest mortality among people over 80 years of age
(CFR 21.9%). The CFR is higher among males compared to females (4.7% vs. 2.8%). By
occupation, patients who reported being retirees had the highest CFR at 8.9%. While
patients who reported no comorbid conditions had a CFR of 1.4%, patients with comorbid
conditions had much higher rates: 13.2% for those with cardiovascular disease, 9.2% for
diabetes, 8.4% for hypertension, 8.0% for chronic respiratory disease, and 7.6% for cancer."

The "good" news in the report:
- No one aged under 10 has died (not quoted)
- The crude fatality rate has improved over time
- The standard of care has evolved over time
- It is an apparent advantage to be female.

The bad news is self evident (aged over 80 or those with cardiovascular disease).
Reference:

Last edited:

Luther

Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
April 20, 2016 to May 20, '16 SJPdP to Santiago d C.
@Kathar1na posted this in the thread that has been locked, so I can't attribute the quote properly:
So if you want up-to-the-minute information, go to that Twitter feed. You don't need an account (I don't have one and it works fine).
Just go to: https://mobile.twitter.com/saludpublicaes?lang=en

Here are their most recent posted data:
Updated 3/8/2020 8:09 AM CDT:

Salud Pública

@SaludPublicaEs

·
1h

Casos de #Coronavirus en España, actualizados a las 12h de hoy, 8 de marzo: Andalucía 35 Aragón 13 Asturias 7 Baleares 8 Canarias 17 Cantabria 12 CLM 15 CyL 22 Cataluña 49 C.Valenciana 37 Extremadura 6 Galicia 5 Madrid 202 Murcia 1 Navarra 3 País Vasco 102 La Rioja 55 TOTAL 589

Arctic_Alex

Camino(s) past & future
Finished: Camino Frances April/May 2019
Canceled: Primitivo May 2020
Was that someone a medical professional or an expert in infectious diseases specializing in coronaviruses?
Of course you can get it twice in principle.
No immunity to any bug is 100% from the start and lasts forever.

There have been cases in China that looked like a subsequent infection. However, experts have cast considerate doubt on this as there are examples where a continuous infection looked like two separate subsequent infections. Hence the probability of multiple subsequent infections posing a real risk is pretty low – despite rumours and fear-mongering.

What is totally unknown is how immunity evolves with time, and how the virus will develop, undermining immunity. As of today there are weak indications that we might already be dealing with different strains of the virus. However, here we are talking only about possibilities, not proven facts.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
i thought that. until someone told me you can get it twice !!
This might be because there are two strains of the disease. (not speculation, there actually are -- a milder form in 70% of cases, a more severe one in 30%)

MikeyC

Camino(s) past & future
CF - September 2016
CF - April May 2017
Shikoku - October 2017
Kumano Kodo - October 2017
CF - 2019
It is an apparent advantage to be female.
That's what the numbers from China seem to indicate.
However, the podcast I mention above asks whether this may be down to the higher percentage of male to female smokers in China.
The interview also poses the possibility that different underlying health factors in the West may produce different results. The example given is of obesity which affects outcome from flu and may also apply to the coronavirus. If so there are some high levels of obesity in many Western societies and with different age profiles to that of Chinese smokers.
The underlying message seems to be of "may" and "might" without many certainties so far.

MoJoeFarley

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (23 March 2020)
I am flying to Paris om the 23rd and then train next day to SJPP. I will go unless the authorities close the borders or northern spain face the same issues Italy have right now.
In case virus starts to spread I might decide to take some hotel or solo rooms instead of large albergues.
We fly into Paris on the 23rd. We might see you there @ Kasper - Smith Jensen

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.

This made me laugh!
Sounds like my lot!
One female...three males ...at work..at school for most of the week and yet I frequently buy the 24 pack of loo rolls for them
I often ask...do you eat the stuff or what?
It's always been like this so no change there

I have not seen any panic buying in the London borough where we live and I've been in most of the supermarkets in the past week ...just a run on the hand gel!
Then again I've always had lots of it long before all this started
Also tons of paracetamol collected all year round as its quiet expensive in Ireland and Italy where family live ...in the UK it's available on the shelves for between 20-45 pence for 16

We've travelled on buses and tubes this week ...not a mask in sight and no sense of panic....yet
I did see a picture of a woman with a plastic bucket over her head though which made me laugh
However I guess we cannot judge the feeling of terror that some people might feel until we walk in their shoes!

Undermanager

Camino(s) past & future
Madrid (x2)
VDLP
Salvador
Primitivo
Finisterra / Muxia
Lana

Phoenix

Camino(s) past & future
2014, CF: partial
2016, CF
2018, CF: partial
2019, CP

great tp famine.png

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
I suspect that part of the reason for buying loo rolls is that we are advised to use tissues and dispose of them. Loo roll is way cheaper than actual tissues.....
(I know we tend to use loo roll if we have a cold.)

Maybe the good old fashioned way of using a clean handkerchief each time and then boiling them before a normal wash would be more effective.
More difficult on the Camino but if a hot hand wash works then a good hot hanky wash could do so too.

Perhaps some one with medical knowledge could comment.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
Canada’s CTV network has an investigative news show called W5; it broadcasted an episode showing footage inside Wuhan, China. It looks like a ghost town. The fellow telling the story is showing a variety of aspects of living in a locked down city.

The show is available online,

Felice

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP to Santiago Sept 2014
Another aspect of panic buying - my son works for John Lewis, in a distribution depot. The call went out last week for anyone whose work is not essential, to consider helping out at a Waitrose shop this week. Waitrose has been inundated with online orders and the shops cannot cope! Too few staff to both pick orders and stack the shelves.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
I have just listened to a half hour podcast which has been the most informative and objective that I have heard on the coronavirus.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/coronavirus-the-race-to-respond/id1157631148?i=1000467682405
Thanks for posting this link. It was worth listening to. I usually don't listen to podcasts but I listened to this one and I've started to follow a daily podcast with a similar setup, a talk between a medical journalist and a leading medical specialist in the area of infectious diseases/virology. They make it a lot easier to understand what's actually going on and what to do and why.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2013, 2015, 2017
CaminoVdlP Spring 2020
I was planning to start the VdlP in Seville at the end of March . My main concern is the speed of developments. Current figures for Spain, Cases & Deaths are similar to those being reported by Italy just over a week ago (according to John Hopkins data.)

While I'm very happy with the Spanish healthcare system- being quarantined at some stage over the 7 weeks I had planned to walk no longer seems remote.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
I'm amused by this constant talk about panic because I don't see anyone around here in panic. And I'm in the midst of it all, so to speak. But people do shop a bit more for groceries, apparently - I asked the cashier at the supermarket recently and she confirmed.

I looked into dictionaries. I know that panic buying is called Hamsterkauf in German (buying like a hamster) and for French and Spanish all that came up is achat de ravitallement (buying provisions) and acaparamiento (buying lots?). So for the record, I may be a hamster but not a panicky hamster. Also, I've already eaten the content of 5 of the tins I bought recently, and now I don't have any full tins anymore. 😂

Perhaps, I take a different perspective on what some are calling “Panic” buying?
Given what we have been told so far, hoarding N95 masks that are needed for medical staff may be unnecessary. However, the CDC has also asked people to have at least a two week supply of food, medicines, water, should an area or your household have to suddenly self quarantine. I think this is being prepared and even responsible.

AlwynWellington

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
please see signature
As I read these posts I understand the "tragedy" in Shakespeare's retelling of the story of Romeo and Juliet comes about when:
Romeo, after the marriage with Juliet, has gone to another city;
Friar Laurence has hatched a scheme for Juliet to appear to be dead;
The messenger to Romeo telling of this scheme is walled up in a town on the way, as a stranger when rumours of the plague spread by the social media;
Romeo casually hears of Juliet's "death" spread by social media ...

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
I have distant Italian antecedents, so do feel qualified in commenting ...

unhelpfully the Italian press published leaked news on the now-implemented lockdown in the north. My distant cousins displayed all the reserve and lack of emotion for which they are known and it is now reported that there has been a mass exodus in a southerly direction away from the areas currently most infected.

it really would be helpful if the media, generally, would display just a modicum of responsibility in these difficult times.

AlwynWellington

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
please see signature
I've been looking at britishpilgrimage.org website and also thinking of the West Highland Way.
I do believe there is hostel accommodation along the WHW if you don't want to carry camp gear.
I can only report what a rellie, living in Glasgow tells me how he, his wife and a daughter completed the West Highland Way.

Day 1 - wife drives the party to Milngavie and the walkers start - driver reads the books stashed in the car -
at the agreed time and place driver collects the walkers and all repair to distant accommodation booked many months before
Day 2 - driver takes the walkers back to yesterday's stopping point - walkers restart - driver continues reading - at the agreed time and place driver collects the walkers and all repair to distant accommodation booked many months before.
Day 3 - ditto
Day 4 - ditto
Repeat until finished.
At Fort William everyone shares the enjoyments they had along the way.

As for me, my 7.6 kg pack will be augmented by a little ready to eat food and I will discreetly camp where my day's march finds me. I will be accompanied by a trowel (for the digging of holes, plastic, 1) that has already seen good service in many places.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
I have just listened to a half hour podcast which has been the most informative and objective that I have heard on the coronavirus. There is unwelcome advice on international travel. Also, men may not be at greater risk - Chinese men are heavy smokers which may be a factor but the west has other issues such as obesity and more people with underlying health issues that would not be alive in other health systems.

Background

Michael Osterholm, Ph.D, Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, joins CBS News Medical Contributor Dr. Tara Narula to discuss what people need to know about the coronavirus. Osterholm says the U.S. healthcare system is not prepared and shares what we know about how the virus spreads and who it impacts the most. He tells Dr. Narula what underlining risk factors may be impacting fatality and if someone with no symptoms can still be infected. Plus, Osterholm comments on what recovery from the virus looks like and whether the changing of seasons may help end the spread of the coronavirus.

Thank you for sharing this.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
France has just banned all public gatherings of 1000 people or more (except those that are "useful for the State").

Padawan

Camino(s) past & future
May 28th to July 3rd (2019)
Hi all!

Certainly I can´t say whether people should come or not for their camino, but as a someone living in Pamplona, I must say that the mood here is quite calm. We have been seeing all the panic and hysteria going on in the US and other places where there are less cases. But overall eveyone here is just monitoring the situation and going about their lives as normal. No signs of panic here in Pamplona
Thank you

Camino(s) past & future
None yet; perhaps the Portugese (2021?)

Paddy Brock

Paddy J Brock Ireland
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2014, Camino Frances / Plus Finisterre 2015, Camino Portugese 2016 and Via de la plata April 2017 in planning
Regrettably I’m not now travelling to Spain in a couple of weeks time.

My wife is asthmatic and in her 60s and understandably concerned about the risk.

We don’t consider Spain to be materially different to the UK, but it seems appropriate to avoid the air travel.

By taking the decision now all it costs is a non-refundable airline ticket.
I’ll travel as soon as I consider the risk to have diminished.
Wonderful to hear a little sense

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
@Dani7 good post. Could members please stop linking to speculative newspaper articles, or alarmist sources. And for new members - there is no single authority overseeing the Camino de Santiago. So what one person from one organisation says may be interesting, but it is not definitive of anything.

The Camino is a path made by pilgrims. The accommodation infrastructure is provided by a mixture of private, commercial, public funded, camino organisations, and every shade in between. Only a directive from the Spanish local or national government health authorities has the power to close the accommodation if the owners/operators want to keep it open, and only the police could stop people walking on the path.

We should all take note of sensible health precautions, both for ourselves and the safety of others, obey directives given by local or national authorities, and seek advice from our own governments if considering travel.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I don't know if this link has been posted yet. It's a summary from IATA (International Air Transport Association) of countries that are restricting entry, and from which country. It seems to be updated frequently. You can check the travel restrictions for your country, and countries that you may want to travel to.

Michael-FL

Camino(s) past & future
Caminho Portugues (2017)
Frances/Salvador/Primitivo (2021)
Regrettably I’m not now travelling to Spain in a couple of weeks time.

My wife is asthmatic and in her 60s and understandably concerned about the risk.

We don’t consider Spain to be materially different to the UK, but it seems appropriate to avoid the air travel.

By taking the decision now all it costs is a non-refundable airline ticket.
I’ll travel as soon as I consider the risk to have diminished.
I respect your personal decision on this. I’m scheduled for arrival in SJPdP from Florida on 17 April for a start next morning. Right now I’m on the fence, but leaning toward going. Will just wait and see how this plays out over the next few weeks.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
The Diocese of Rome has cancelled all public Masses 'til April 3rd.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Here is a list (in Spanish) of current false rumours about Haro.

The whole town is NOT under quarantine and the Spanish Health Minister Salvador Illa said that "there is no quarantine in Haro" but rather "active surveillance" because there is a significant number of people isolated in their homes and "they are being checked for compliance with this measure". A photo that has appeared in the media of a street that has been cordoned off shows a street closure that has been in place since January due to a house that is in danger of collapsing. Haro is not cordoned off and no streets are blocked for traffic because of Covid-19.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
The article says it's a single neighborhood that's being isolated, not the whole town. So far...
Not even a single neighbourhood is isolated in Haro. I hope this part of the thread is allowed to stay because it is a good example of how even quality foreign media, such as the Guardian, get their reporting slightly wrong (and never correct it and often don't follow up on it). Articles in the foreign press are largely produced on the basis of press agency reports, the writers and re-writers of these articles are far away from the events they are reporting about. All that happened, according to local Spanish media of today, is that the Guardia Civil appeared on the scene, knocked on doors to deliver, in a very public and official way, notifications to a number of people who are supposed to be in self-isolation but had not entendido ni lo han querido respetar - these people had not heard or understood what they are required to do or did not respect/comply with these measures. One may assume that they got the message now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 319 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 93 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 365 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock