A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Corona Virus...

2020 Camino Guides
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walton

Camino(s) past & future
2016 Sjpp to Sdc. 2018 Lisbon to Sdc to Finisterre. Next up hopefully VDP or Del Norte.
At the moment, I would be very careful to check all the terms and conditions of any travel insurance that one might buy to make sure that the coronavirus or derivatives of, if it mutates, is not an exclusion.

Should an excluded event occur, Insurance companies will not pay and you are then left to pay the bills.

I would imagine a coronavirus bill in a Spanish hospital or elsewhere would be very expensive.

So please be super careful when it comes to making a travel insurance purchase and if you do communicate with a travel insurance company before purchase, make sure you keep evidence of the communication, preferably in writing. Decades of experience in the travel industry tells me you can't trust them.

Stay safe
Is it Ok to insert my own quote? Trying to get my quote stats up a bit :)

Anyway, I want to add a comment.

There may be travel insurance companies that will agree to cover Covid 19 expenses, but you'll have to shop around, ask and if they do, make sure you keep written communications. Carefully study the wording and be aware that often it's not what they say but what might be omitted, that matters also.

If you have questions about the wording, make sure you ask and get answers in writing always just in case there is a problem later on.

I have a couple of medical issues and before purchasing travel insurance, I always disclose these providing medical evidence and ask if they will cover these issues in their policy. Thus far, they have. They have enjoyed several 100% claim free policies and I, peace of mind.

And I read every word of their gazillion pages of terms and conditions as well.

So, we might put the VDLP back on the agenda in early March and if so we will get the insurance questions including the Covid 19 issue sorted before making bookings and risking financial loss.

Buen Camino

Graham

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra (Summer 2015); Levante-Invierno (Feb/Mar 2019);
England Camino routes ?2024
And to clarify again, the German holiday maker on the tiny island of La Gomera is not someone who is sick or shows symptoms of the illness but someone who got tested and the virus was detected. They had to search for him first, following information from the German health authorities to the Spanish health authorities that he is someone who was in contact with one of the four persons in Bavaria.
So how did he get from Bavaria to La Gomera? Most people fly via Madrid.

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra (Summer 2015); Levante-Invierno (Feb/Mar 2019);
England Camino routes ?2024
I am slightly concerned coming back to Europe from Thailand for the walking season that I am going to be locked down for 14 days if I dare enter Lisbon customs with even the merest sniffle!

Flew on a domestic flight yesterday and everyone had a face mask apart from one brave soul. Thailand's health minister has just gone on record saying that any foreigners who refuse to wear masks should be deported! Progressive Thailand right there.

For the first time in my life I have bought hand sanitiser. It took over 20 visits to various stores and pharmacies.

I do think the media are blowing this story up but I also think there are a good many more cases in China than they report.
I am worried about countries like Indonesia where there are no cases. Singapore has cracked down but who knows what is happening in Bali. I live in Darwin which is the mainland quarantine point for Australia. No issue with the Hubei people. I am a bit more worried about the Cruise people as they are still coming down sick despite the quarantine on the boat.
The concern with Covid-19 is the sheer numbers.
Just returned from Vietnam and Cambodia where many were wearing face masks. Here is an article about their effectiveness:

Face Masks
Masks only last an hour before they need replacing. If it gives you something to sneeze into so l don't pick up your virus...good! Just keep washing your hands.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago and beyond (own way - voie de Tours - camino francés - Biskaya - Manche)
So how did he get from Bavaria to La Gomera? Most people fly via Madrid.
I don't know what most people do but the group of five holidaymakers from Bavaria, among them the person infected with coronavirus, travelled the way most holidaymakers from the Munich area do: direct flight from Munich airport to Tenerife Sur airport and boat to La Gomera. And then practically everyone who was possibly in close contact with them got tested. It seems that both the health authorities in Bavaria and in La Gomera did fast and excellent work.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
I am worried about countries like Indonesia where there are no cases.
Indeed.
I am living in one right now and am sure there must be cases, because we're right next to China with overland road links that remain quite active.

One person I know (a local resident, not a traveler) went to a doctor because she had a fever and was concerned - and he told her (based only on a physical exam) that she couldn't have Covid-19. Well probably not in her case, but who knows? Much of the developing world will be in the same situation, with patchy reporting and testing. Good in some parts, nonexistant in others.

But it's not worth freaking out unnecessarily, especially not months ahead of time. Let common sense prevail, exercise good personal hygiene, and do what you can to insure your travel. Then go with the flow, when the time comes to actually travel.

sunwanderer

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Santiago
Sep/Oct 2015
If it gives you something to sneeze into so l don't pick up your virus...good!
Sneezing into the masks that almost everyone is wearing will not block a virus - a virus particle is much smaller than the pore size of the mask. Plus the masks do not fit snugly around the cheeks and chin - a lot of them will get out!

Most insurance policies will cover Coronavirus, however, you probably won't be medically evacuated without the approval or your local health ministry or in the US, the CDC due to quarantine measures.

My co-worker mentioned there is no supply of masks, hand sanitize gel and soap in Asia and S.E. Asia. I would recommend bringing your own supply. Safe Travels

Walton

Camino(s) past & future
2016 Sjpp to Sdc. 2018 Lisbon to Sdc to Finisterre. Next up hopefully VDP or Del Norte.
Most insurance policies will cover Coronavirus, however, you probably won't be medically evacuated without the approval or your local health ministry or in the US, the CDC due to quarantine measures.
This statement could be misleadingly broad in my opinion. I think Atlas Traveler probably wrote with American travellers in mind.

However, for the rest of us;

For example, in Australia, many companies will not cover coronavirus cancellation fees if a policy is purchased after January 20.

Please do not assume you will be covered for Coronavirus.

If you are considering travelling and if being insured for possible events related to this virus is important to you, before you book travel or buy travel insurance, you should very carefully read your proposed travel insurers product disclosure statements etc., and if necessary, ask appropriate questions and obtain written answers.

Cheers

Graham

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Yes, I am aware of the Coronavirus. However,my area has a large number of folks rightnow that have comedown with the flu so I am taking the same safety precautions,I always do when traveling.

We are flying into Porto via Madrid in 9 days to do the CP. I am always conscious of germs when using disgusting bathrooms after an hour into a transatlantic flight, so I touch nothing in the bathroom,including both door handles! I wipe the plane seat and table top as soon as I get to my seat, as well as the airplane safety belt and the airflow knob. And I wear throw away plane slippers which I ditch as soon as we deplane.

I too, am very aware: when staying in different accommodations; when the hands of servers whose hands have been compromised by touching a cleaning rag that has been who knows where, right before serving me; when eating near folks who already have colds and are sneasing; when many other pilgrims are in close proximity at bars and bathroom facilities - especially bathroom facilities with minimal or no real ventilation systems on a warm day.

When a server on the camino hands me food after immediately touching a rag or a broom handle and it is a small item such as toast, I do not say anything as I am pilgrim and visitor in another country. I am understanding of the crowds and stress. I pay for the item, thank them, but normally don’t eat it. Sometimes I give it to birds. At home, I would certainly tell the server politely, that I will not accept that item and explain why.
We bring gel hand cleaner with alcohol content in smaller bottles and hand wipes. We also bring tissues which allow us not to touch bathroom supplies along our camino sections.

Last edited:

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Some of my most lovely hours have been spent with Koreans on the Camino. One dinner, in particular, is very memorable- the huge pot which was carried all day on the back of Jin the wife of Kim so that he could do the cooking in the evening: two chickens, a piece of ginger as big as your fist, and many many hot spicy peppers and when the chickens were removed after an hour, a kilo of rice was thrown into the broth! I was happy to supply the beer - copious amounts of beer! Sadly, the coronavirus has spread to Korea which will dampen things for them, also now to Italy, to my own Israel where visitors from Korea and China are turned back at the airport - we Israelis returning from there must pass medical exams. Concern yes panic no. Hopefully, this will pass with the coming of warmer weather. Albergues would be perfect hothouses for the disease, every sniffle regarded with suspicion so we can only hope and pray for the best.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2020)
There may be travel insurance companies that will agree to cover Covid 19 expenses, but you'll have to shop around, ask and if they do, make sure you keep written communications. Carefully study the wording and be aware that often it's not what they say but what might be omitted, that matters also.
Graham
Good advice, I was just looking at travel insurance starting yesterday, and I’ll make sure that it covers everything like that.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
If the virus doesn’t slow down this spring/summer and one place along the Camino becomes like northern Italy, it is not too far fetched that the alburgues will be closed.

let’s pray not.
Wow, I was unaware of the outbreak n N. Italy! We were scheduled to fly From ScD to Milan after our Camino in March. Even if I lose the separate ticket, I am not sure I want to flyin their now? Time will tell!

Moorwalker

Camino(s) past & future
The Saint's Way, Cornwall
I am slightly concerned coming back to Europe from Thailand for the walking season that I am going to be locked down for 14 days if I dare enter Lisbon customs with even the merest sniffle!

Flew on a domestic flight yesterday and everyone had a face mask apart from one brave soul. Thailand's health minister has just gone on record saying that any foreigners who refuse to wear masks should be deported! Progressive Thailand right there.

For the first time in my life I have bought hand sanitiser. It took over 20 visits to various stores and pharmacies.

I do think the media are blowing this story up but I also think there are a good many more cases in China than they report.
Masks really don't give you much protection, they are a little more effective to prevent someone who is already sick from infecting other people. They can actually make things worse because people who rae not accustomed to them tend to touch their faces more to adjust the mask, and that's a major route for passing bacteria or viruses to your mouth, nose or eyes.

Hand sanitiser is useful if you can't wash your hands although if your hands are already grubby it is less effective. It's pretty effective against bacteria, less so against some viruses. It's very hard to beat ordinary soap and water, not anti bacterial soap or anything special, just bog standard soap.

D

Deleted member 43780

don’t think going to Milan or Venice is a good idea for now.

On Sunday train was stopped at the Italian border. Checking for possible sick ones. Finally was permitted to enter Austria.

is this the opening rounds of what is to come??

It will take only one positive case on the Camino and all the alburgues will be closed down.

they are the perfect environment for the virus.
Look at it...
Packed full of people. Sleeping close to each other. Coughing. Sneezing.
Some not having the best hygiene.
Then carrying on the next day to another such environment.

let’s be frank about it! Pooping all along the Camino is not a good thing. They believe this virus may be spread via fecal matter.
And NOT washing their hands afterwards!!

actually I am surprised that the alburgues and back packing type of bunk bed hostals haven’t already been closed.

hope and pray this will soon pass and not get worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 43780

Masks really don't give you much protection, they are a little more effective to prevent someone who is already sick from infecting other people. They can actually make things worse because people who rae not accustomed to them tend to touch their faces more to adjust the mask, and that's a major route for passing bacteria or viruses to your mouth, nose or eyes.

Hand sanitiser is useful if you can't wash your hands although if your hands are already grubby it is less effective. It's pretty effective against bacteria, less so against some viruses. It's very hard to beat ordinary soap and water, not anti bacterial soap or anything special, just bog standard soap.
alburgues are the perfect place for this virus, and other ills.

people sleeping, sneezing, coughing in closed quarters at night.

Then moving on to the next place.

with people pooping along the way in bushes close to the Camino!! NOT washing their hands after pooping in the bushes!

gotta be realistic about this.

some one here want to put their heads in the sand and ignore it.

does it get any better for this virus??

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I "try" not to worry that my camino in mid April will possibly be derailed. The positive I "try" to console myself with is that many viruses of that nature often run their course by spring and early summer. That's my hope, but what do I know...not much.😐
I am mostly staying in non albergue lodgings and hope that helps some with contagions.

D

Deleted member 43780

I "try" not to worry that my camino in mid April will possibly be derailed. The positive I "try" to console myself with is that many viruses of that nature often run their course by spring and early summer. That's my hope, but what do I know...not much.😐
I am mostly staying in non albergue lodgings and hope that helps some with contagions.
Wishing you the best.

even before this virus situation, I always was concerned about staying in alburgues.

saw on all four of my Caminos people NOT washing their hands after going poo.
Seeing far too many in the alburgues with poor hygiene and poor hygiene habits.

I knew was a receipt for sickness

blessings
And enjoy

Camino(s) past & future
CF September (2019) SJPP to Logrono
CF May/June (2020) Logrono to ? (Delayed)
I'm sure someone above put it in perspective with 40,000 people in the states dying of flu each year.

How many have so far died of this new virus in comparison?

Not a lot in comparison.

At the moment you have higher chance of being hit by a car while crossing the road.

I'm all for reducing risk but unless the UK government or the WHO says otherwise........

D

Deleted member 43780

I'm sure someone above put it in perspective with 40,000 people in the states dying of flu each year.

How many have so far died of this new virus in comparison?

Not a lot in comparison.

At the moment you have higher chance of being hit by a car while crossing the road.

I'm all for reducing risk but unless the UK government or the WHO says otherwise........
well spoken.

BUT, not over yet. Let’s see.

This is a developing situation.

hope not; but,I think things will get far worse.

you don’t see governments going to control level max over the flu.
Something to be said from that alone.
There is immunization, for what it is worry, for the flu.

no VAX/cure for this bug.

this should not be compared to the flu or common cold.

D

Deleted member 43780

I was rather surprised to see the coronavirus as a topic on the forum. The epicenter of the virus is China, not Spain or Europe. Some international airlines have limited or stopped their flights into or out of China for anywhere between one week and two months. At the moment, the people most effected are the ones who live in China or are currently or recently in China. In a city, Wuhan, of over 11 million people and in a country of over a billion people the virus could spread quickly. The vast numbers of people who travel in and out of China daily are why the world is concerned. That is why airports are beginning to set up screening processes. This is exacerbated by the timing of the crisis. The Chinese New Year is a major holiday in China with millions on the move. People outside China return from around the world to be with family; workers in China who live away from their homes use this as an opportunity to return to their homes in other parts of China; people in China use the time to travel abroad to visit family as well; and often expats take this as a vacation to return to their own countries or travel elsewhere. To contain the potential danger, the government closed travel in/out of Wuhan. The sudden isolating and quarantine of 11 million people has precipitated the current concern and tendency towards hysteria.
Yes, be aware, stay up-to-date, but, unless you are in or traveling through China, most Camino pilgrims are safe.
mmmmm

go tell that to those in northern Italy!

can spread at a surprisingly fast pace. Show up any where.

for now I elect to not stay in alburgues. Avoiding sneezing, coughing, snoring people.

so you say not to worry..in Europe hey??

greetings from Milan!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 43780

It may be best to avoid alburgues for now.

topic on here because can, and may, come to bear on us.

this thing is not over with yet.

Camino(s) past & future
CF September (2019) SJPP to Logrono
CF May/June (2020) Logrono to ? (Delayed)
well spoken.

BUT, not over yet. Let’s see.

This is a developing situation.

hope not; but,I think things will get far worse.

you don’t see governments going to control level max over the flu.
Something to be said from that alone.
There is immunization, for what it is worry, for the flu.

no VAX/cure for this bug.

this should not be compared to the flu or common cold.
I agree, I just think it’s too early to judge and change plans. I’m intending being on the CF May/June and would consider changing my plans if there was a big problem but at the moment it’s giving the media a reason to hype it up and sell newspaper

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
This afternoon
229 people are infected with the new Sars-CoV-2 coronavirus in Italy. Of these 6 people died and 1 person recovered.
These are the official figures communicated today at the 18.00 conference by the Head of Civil Protection and Emergency Commissioner, Angelo Borrelli.
Of the 222 people under observation and treatment, 101 are hospitalized with symptoms, 27 are in intensive care and 94 are in home isolation.

In the individual Regions the number of infected people is as follows:

• Lombardy: 172
  • Veneto: 33
  • Emilia Romagna: 18
  • Piedmont: 3
  • Lazio: 3
Still do not know ground zero person in Italy?
bulletin image

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
[QUOTE="martyseville, post: 829389,

let’s be frank about it! Pooping all along the Camino is not a good thing. They believe this virus may be spread via fecal matter.
And NOT washing their hands afterwards
[/QUOTE]

Realistically, I believe VERY few pilgrims poop along the Camino. Pee, yes. But since I began walking in 2006, I have only seen the number of poops I can count on one hand. Who knows if people use wipes or hand sanitizer afterward. While I agree you’re more likely to get sick in an albergue than in your own tent, I’ve also gotten quite sick in private lodging because they were sick people in there before me, or in restaurants, or on the plane, or in the grocery store.

If people are afraid, and they should just stay home. No reason for panic. 😊

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
I think that the standard news organizations are a better source for updates on the coronavirus than are these random contributions from forum members. I can already see some very questionable statements that have been made on this thread but I don't want to get into a debate on them.

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
It's one of those things where it's very easy to get all dramatic and talk about ' what will happen' , but the one thing I would say should happen( if they have any commonsense) if a case is discovered on one of the routes, or connected to them then look at the subject of thousands of different nationalities being in close proximity and what are the potential dangers of that, and then those people dispersing.
I am doing a Camino in April and I am looking forward to it a lot, but at the moment I have a sense in addition that it might not go ahead unfortunately, hope I am being overdramatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 318 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 92 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 363 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock