A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

COVID Coronavirus thread (Round 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrina2000

Staff member
As you might imagine, with moderators and forum members living all around the world, we have a really hard time when threads go viral. I woke up this morning to lots of new threads, many interlocking and responsive to each other, and the sense that the thread was spiralling out of control. It was a good idea to close it. This is not a criticism of any one person, because I think this is such a rapidly changing and potentially scary situation, that it is natural that we would want to share our thoughts with our little forum family.

Starting a third thread is intended to give us a fresh start. I assume we will have a 4th, a 5th, etc etc. I am including links to two Spanish news articles from today that tell us that the city of Vitoria's schools are closed for the next 15 days https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-03-09/ultimas-noticias-del-coronavirus-en-directo.html and that the number of cases in Madrid region has doubled overnight. https://elpais.com/espana/madrid/20...das-para-combatir-la-expansion-del-virus.html

Both of those pieces of news could be important to anyone with plans to start the Vasco or the Madrid.

We continue our insistence that medical information be limited to official sites, use your own good sense to decide what is included in that please. And please no speculation and no advice. News articles from mainstream press are also fine. Even though the mainstream press sometimes gets it wrong, as was apparently the case as seen in the last thread's discussion of Haro, mistakes were caught and rectified.

We cannot be the purveyors of perfect information, but we hope people will find this forum to be a place where you might be able to find information that would take a while to filter down to your home journalistic outlets.

Buen camino, everyone, Laurie

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
When the time is right
I folllow the following sources for information.

Spanish paper El Pais

And bnonewscom

El Pais has the most current numbers of cases in Spain as does the twitter account for Spain’s Public Heath organization.
https://twitter.com/SaludPublicaEs

These three sources of information continue to give me the most current situation in Spain especially and around the world with ´bnonews’. There are other good world update dashboards such John Hopkins.

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
El Pais :

For now Spain remains in “containment” mode, meaning that ill people are being kept in isolation and their contacts quarantined to prevent uncontrolled community spread. There are no current plans for lockdowns like Italy has ordered in the north of the country.

peregrina2000

Staff member
El Pais :

For now Spain remains in “containment” mode, meaning that ill people are being kept in isolation and their contacts quarantined to prevent uncontrolled community spread. There are no current plans for lockdowns like Italy has ordered in the north of the country.
If people tell me that this website is not reputable, I will take the post down, but I have seen it referred to with approval on a university source. Three stages -- containment, community transmission, and then flattening the curve. I don't think anyone knows how long any of these stages will last, but this seems to be the underlying phenomenon.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/09...9w-CbBqCX-cCWxorZne5Xqk#.XmVRKoz6aWc.facebook

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Here is a very useful site that someone turned me onto yesterday:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

It's an up to date compilation of data from official CDC/WHO sources, as well as information from other reliable fact-checked sources.

Besides the raw data, this was noted there today:
376 new cases and 9 new deaths in Spain. Total cases top 1,000 [source] The Basque Government closes all schools in Vitoria for 2 weeks [source]

Dani7

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
When the time is right

peregrina2000

Staff member

MikeyC

Camino(s) past & future
CF - September 2016
CF - April May 2017
Shikoku - October 2017
Kumano Kodo - October 2017
CF - 2019
El Pais newspaper is reporting that the Health Minister has announced that the virus situation has taken a turn for the worse. Presumably the figures tomorrow will not be good.
Various restrictive measures for Madrid and Basque regions.
He also asked that throughout Spain people do not make unnecessary journeys. Again no detail as to what this encompasses.
Just hoping that Spain is not required to follow Italy which now has a nationwide lockdown.
Tough times. Stay safe fellow pilgrims.

(Mods - I may have posted on the incorrect thread but thought this news was more relevant to those actually on a Camino. Thank you all for your time and energy on these threads)

Last edited:

Eve Alexandra

Camino(s) past & future
Astorga to Santiago in '17
Camino Frances canceled for 2020
El Pais newspaper is reporting that the Health Minister has announced that the virus situation has taken a turn for the worse. Presumably the figures tomorrow will not be good.
Various restrictive measures for Madrid and Basque regions.
He also asked that throughout Spain people do not make unnecessary journeys. Again no detail as to what this encompasses.
Just hoping that Spain is not required to follow Italy which now has a nationwide lockdown.
Tough times. Stay safe fellow pilgrims.

(Mods - I may have posted on the incorrect thread but thought this news was more relevant to those actually on a Camino. Thank you all for your time and energy on these threads)
Do you have a link for this? I'd like to read it.

MikeyC

Camino(s) past & future
CF - September 2016
CF - April May 2017
Shikoku - October 2017
CF - 2019

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2020? Looks like.... nowhere! 😁
Madrid has just announced that all schools, from primary through university, will be closed in the Comunidad de Madrid (Madrid province). This affects 1.5 million students and 120,000 professors. Closure starts on Wednesday and lasts for 15 days.

Just read this too,here https://www.elmundo.es/madrid/2020/03/09/5e667296fc6c8397618b45de.html
☹

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2019)
There have been persistent attempts by various posters on this thread to compare Covid 19 with influenza. The WHO has addressed this in this very recent update:

He says
"This virus is not SARS, it’s not MERS, and it’s not influenza. It is a unique virus with unique characteristics."

"With influenza, people who are infected but not yet sick are major drivers of transmission, which does not appear to be the case for COVID-19."

"Evidence from China is that only 1% of reported cases (of Covid 19) do not have symptoms, and most of those cases develop symptoms within 2 days."

"The second major difference is that COVID-19 causes more severe disease than seasonal influenza."

"Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died. By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected."

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
Some clarification on the sad situation that all Masses have been shut down in Rome --

I just checked for Vatican City specifically, and and it seems that smaller Masses will continue there ; but not the large-scale Masses in the Basilica.

... not that this is much good to any pilgrims in the face of the new travel restrictions in the whole of Italy.

Last edited:

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
There are restrictions in Israel and the West Bank -- Bethlehem is under quarantine, and anyone wanting to enter Israel must show that they can self-quarantine for 14 days.

Elsewhere, Lourdes is experiencing a large number of group and individual pilgrimage cancellations, and some local pilgrimage events in France are simply being cancelled.

There are starting to be some group & individual cancellations in Fátima, and the number of visiting pilgrims day-to-day has fallen.

The ordinary Islamic pilgrimages to Mecca and Medina have been forbidden.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (own way; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
Hugging of the Apostle is no longer allowed by the Cathedral of Santiago. Security staff make sure that people comply and prevent them from touching the iconic statue of Saint James.

SM10C3F1_1.jpg

Last edited:

Tsufuri

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Bavaria, Via Gebenensis, Camino Frances, Fisterra Camino dos Farros Muxia, Camino del Norte
Hi. I'm planning to do the Camino del Norte End of May.
In Germany the Corona Virus spreads fast. From day to day numbers rising.
News today: Italy fully closed ALL borders. Local people may not visit friends or family.
So right now I think the greatest concern for all Camino plans 2020 is travel restrictions.
I always go with tent and stove, so my contact to locals on the Camino is handable. But of course I do not want to get infected or infect others.
At this moment the hospitals can handle the numbers of Corona (and regular) patients, but if numbers still going up Mid May I will probably delay my Camino.
Ultreia

dfox

Camino(s) past & future
CF (4/2017)
CP (5/2019)
CF (5/2021)
Here is one by John Hopkins University, USA:

John Hopkins University's Centre for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE)

Last edited:

Dani7

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
When the time is right
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2011), Camino Frances (2015), Camino Ingles (2017), Camino Muxia (2017), LePuy(2019)
There are restrictions in Israel and the West Bank -- Bethlehem is under quarantine, and anyone wanting to enter Israel must show that they can self-quarantine for 14 days.

Elsewhere, Lourdes is experiencing a large number of group and individual pilgrimage cancellations, and some local pilgrimage events in France are simply being cancelled.

There are starting to be some group & individual cancellations in Fátima, and the number of visiting pilgrims day-to-day has fallen.

The ordinary Islamic pilgrimages to Mecca and Medina have been forbidden.
Could you tell us more about the pilgrimage situation in France? Specifically the Le Puy route? Where are you finding this information? Thanks.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I found this a useful aide memoire on what is meant by exponential growth, when it stops, and how sensitive it is to possible mitigating actions

(A very mathematical perspective that might not interest everybody - mods happy if you decide to remove)

Well, I do not have time to go back and watch it again, which I will definitely need to do before I can claim to even understand it a little, but I think anyone with more mathematical ability than I will find it fascinating (and unless I totally lost the point, a little encouraging). Thanks Everlasting.

Dani7

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
When the time is right
Latest from Salud Pública
Casos de #Coronavirus en España, actualizados a las 13h de hoy:

Andalucía 71
Aragón 38
Asturias 22
Baleares 13
Canarias 25
Cantabria 12
CLM 39
CyL 56
Cataluña 124
C.Valenciana 50
Extremadura 8
Galicia 22
Madrid 782
Murcia 9
Navarra 12
País Vasco 195
La Rioja 144

TOTAL 1622

Camino(s) past & future
SJP - Burgos (2013), Burgos - Sahagun (2014), Sahagun - Astorga (May 2015), Astorga - Sarria (2016),
I found this a useful aide memoire on what is meant by exponential growth, when it stops, and how sensitive it is to possible mitigating actions

(A very mathematical perspective that might not interest everybody - mods happy if you decide to remove)

This is excellent!

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
A very mathematical perspective that might not interest everybody - mods happy if you decide to remove
This is actually a very good explanation, with real coronavirus numbers, helping people understand what's happening. I for one hope it stays. Thanks, @EverlastingMan; I learned sometjing useful tonight.

Dani7

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
When the time is right
That was my last post regarding the virus numbers. Most members now have been given the websites regarding where to get updated information. Up to each individual now to decide what that want to know.

For those still planning on walking the Camino I wish you Buen Camino. Be safe and well ❤

GuyA

Camino(s) past & future
Jacobi 13, Gebennensis 13, Le Puy 13, Frances 14, Finisterre 14, Kumano Kodo 15, Portuguese 18

Thanks for posting...took me back a few years in math studies but well worth it!

Undermanager

Camino(s) past & future
Madrid (x2)
VDLP
Salvador
Primitivo
Finisterra / Muxia
Lana
Tax refunds if you don't use a flight ......

I don't know how it works in other places but in the UK, it's worth remembering that flight tax can make up the majority of an airline's ticket price. If you decide not to fly for whatever reason from the UK (as opposed to the flight being cancelled by the airline, when you'll get the whole amount back) then you can reclaim back the tax part of the ticket. It only takes two minutes and can be done usually on a form on the airline's website.

If you have booked with Easyjet, Ryanair etc and decide not to take the flight, you can reclaim the amount, usually within a month of the flight date. Sometimes, there is a fee (e.g. Ryanair) and sometimes not (e.g. Easyjet) so it may or may not be worth the effort to reclaim the amount. It's worth checking.

If you are going to claim from Korean Airlines though, you might want to not hang around .....

Last edited:

MikeyC

Camino(s) past & future
CF - September 2016
CF - April May 2017
Shikoku - October 2017
CF - 2019
We had already canceled our Spring Camino based on the early cases of coronavirus in Spain and extrapolating how it might develop as in Wuhan. Over cautious perhaps but as this is a new scenario it is impossible to predict how matters might turn out. That is a predicament that many a pilgrim with a planned March Camino faces - how to make a rational decision now on incomplete information and which may have consequences five or six weeks into the future.
As an indication of how awful this situation has become in Italy there are a series of tweets from an intensive care Doctor in Lombardy to a UK colleague which make for truly grim reading.

I will quote part of the message: (from https://twitter.com/jasonvanschoor)

4/ We’ve stopped all routine, all ORs have been converted to ITUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes. There are hundreds of pts with severe resp failure and many of them do not have access to anything above a reservoir mask.

5/ Patients above 65 or younger with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed.

In the UK we have cases within several miles of our home to both east and west; our preferred activity now is walking on the South West Coastal Path which is all but deserted.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Can you give us the gist of this for someone who doesn't speak Spanish please.
Nothing new really.. just an update on the numbers and urging spaniards to travel as little as possible... flights to Italy are canceled for now.. for precautions... clean your hands, stay calm..these press conferences are daily now, about 12.30 and they can be seen on the El Pais youtube channel (you can also go back and see older ones)

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
There were plenty of large groups in Merida on the VDLP today and most were Spaniards and elderly. Well. My mother’s age.

SophiaVila

Camino(s) past & future
These two sources are accurate and informative about the development of coronavirus in Spain:

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017

This is really, really good. The simulation piece at the 7 minute mark really visually explains the importance of quarantines for cities and regions. If only people abided by them.

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
There have been a number of posts about making your own hand sanitizer, but the advice on how to make your own is variable. Nothing is ever as simple as we'd like! Some sources point out that homemade versions could be ineffective due to having less than 60% alcohol, due to chemical instability or other reasons that we can't try to debate on the forum. Here are links to three reliable websites that you might use if you are thinking of making your own.
For these reasons, all of the other posts about hand sanitizer have been removed from this thread. In fact this very post might get removed too!

Last edited:

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
If you are in Italy and wants to leave it because of the CoViD-19 quarantine it won't be possible to cross the borders into Austria and Slovenia in couple of days because the countries are closing them. France might follow if the situation gets worse said Macron.

EDIT: Slovenian authorities decided not to fully closed the border but minimize entering points to 6 where health check of passengers will be possible.

Last edited:

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
Could you tell us more about the pilgrimage situation in France? Specifically the Le Puy route? Where are you finding this information? Thanks.
That was some info about pilgrimages in general, from various sources, not the foot pilgrimages specifically.

I know of no current restrictions affecting routes through France except of course for the Francigena routes.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
As for the present situation in France here is the American Embassy update as of March 10

Here is the official French site for March 10

Last edited:

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
I don't know if these have been posted yet- I've lost track. There's so much out there already, but these are good sites to bookmark, giving up to date research links and information as they are posted:

Peregrinopaul

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)

If you once were competent at high-school algebra, but have, like me, forgotten most of it, this video posted by EverlastingMan is a comprehensive refresher course, and it will help you to understand what is going on in real time, especially if you are following the data published on the JohnHopkins website, which includes an arithmetic and a logarithmic graph. A pandemic, whilst being a human tragedy and disaster, is also a mathematical experiment. Speculation is not helpful, but mathematics is what has always helped us to logically understand our world. I urge you to watch it.
Having brought myself up-to-speed, the exponential growth rate is at present 1.15 and has been relatively constant for a few days.

Undermanager

Camino(s) past & future
Madrid (x2)
VDLP
Salvador
Primitivo
Finisterra / Muxia
Lana
Logs, exponential growth? Whilst once an engineer, programmer and teacher, these days as age progresses, I have trouble just remembering how to tie up the shoelaces on the flip-flops properly :) .

Peregrinopaul

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
Logs, exponential growth? Whilst once an engineer, programmer and teacher, these days as age progresses, I have trouble just remembering how to tie up the shoelaces on the flip-flops properly :) .
Seriously, watch it. It certainly rejuvenated my 75 year old brain

arthur1218

Camino(s) past & future
Past: Frances, Norte, VdlP, Primitivo, Portuguese
Well, to put it simpler, by the end of March, the current travel ban between Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and Roncesvalles may be extended to Finisterre :)

Edited: Disclaimer - The Napoleon Route between SJPP and Roncesvalles is not closed because of the coronavirus. It is closed every winter for the safety of pilgrims who could endanger themselves there, as they did in the past.

Last edited:

tlandry

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese 2019
French 2020
Well, to put it simpler, by the end of March, the current travel ban between Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and Roncesvalles may be extended to Finisterre :)
First I have seen that it is now closed between SJPP and Roncesvalles. Where can I find that?

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021" ... (GOD WILLING!)
I am more than positive that with ongoing multi threads on the subject this info is probably out there on at leas one of them, but it just recently fell on my lap so I am sharing:

CDC Travel Notices

At the very least - this brings it down to the bottom so folks do not have to search up and down for the link.

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
The official total number of confirmed cases in Spain is now over 2,000 - with half of those in the Madrid region. This is taken from the article: "The effect of the battery of measures taken by the Government to fight against the coronavirus will not be seen until within about 9-10 days and the end of the transmission is not expected until within 2 months at best and within 4-5 months in the worst case scenario. This has been said by the director of the Center for Health Alerts and Emergencies , Fernando Simón , in his daily appearance in which he acknowledged that "we are in a very different situation than a few days ago."

Camino(s) past & future
None yet; perhaps the Portugese (2021?)
Portugal update, 5 pm Tuesday 10th:

Note:
"The Directorate-General for Cultural Heritage today gave guidelines to museums, monuments and palaces in their dependence to suspend all public activities in closed or open places. At stake are spaces such as the National Museum of Ancient Art or the Jerónimos Monastery, in Lisbon, the National Museum Grão Vasco, in Viseu, or the Convento de Cristo, in Tomar."

So this may affect the ability to visit some of the country's most significant sites--it sounds as it's left up to the administrators, depending on their interpretation of these guidelines. Tomar without the Convent of Christ is nice, but really just another nice historical town.

mmmmartin

Camino(s) past & future
Santander-SdC bici '14
Plata bici '17
1/2 Plata bici '18
Frances a pie '18
(Porto a pie '19)
Just arrived from the UK department of health:

The Spanish government has suspended all incoming flights from Italy until March 25.

Regional Authorities in the most affected regions are putting in place extraordinary measures such as the temporary closure of schools and prohibiting gatherings which involve more than 1000 attendees due to an increase in coronavirus cases. All educational centres, including nurseries, schools and universities will close for 15 days from March 11 in the regions of Madrid and La Rioja and province of Alava (in the Basque Country). Some local festivals such as Las Fallas in Valencia have been postponed. You should follow local authority websites for further information.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)

Iriebabel

The cyborg turtle
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018
Camino Del Norte & part of Lebaniego 2019
The official total number of confirmed cases in Spain is now over 2,000 - with half of those in the Madrid region. This is taken from the article: "The effect of the battery of measures taken by the Government to fight against the coronavirus will not be seen until within about 9-10 days and the end of the transmission is not expected until within 2 months at best and within 4-5 months in the worst case scenario. This has been said by the director of the Center for Health Alerts and Emergencies , Fernando Simón , in his daily appearance in which he acknowledged that "we are in a very different situation than a few days ago."
Thanks I am heading for spain but not in over populated areas in April but I will not be on camino. However I may see pilgrims since I will be criss crossing several routes. If I can will will help support pilgrims who need medical care by stocking up a small medical kit. Just my way to give back To camino. I will be traveling around by car to some of the more mountainous areas since I am unable to hike this year. Off camino day hikes only I suspect depends on how my foot is progressing.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
For those in the UK specifically.:-
You can sign up to the email alert for changes to government travel advice. It is country specific so we are signed up for Spain. There is a choice of regularity of notices, we are signed up to changes only but you can have them daily etc.. This is the official government website.
I think this may be the source of the notice that @mmmmartin has posted.

Dani7

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
When the time is right
BREAKING NEWS - WHO just declared a pandemic (announced on our CTV news channel minutes ago)

Lakbayniluis

Camino(s) past & future
Planning to do Camino Del Norte in April 2020
Hi all,

I was quite set on hiking the Camino del Norte this April, to fulfill a promise i made to myself that i would return to complete a Camino before i turned 30. That's this year, and the only chance i would get this much time off work before my passport expires would be in the next 3 months or so. (I'm also coming from a third world country, so getting this much time off, as well as a Schengen visa is already a challenge in itself).

With news of covid however, it seems that pursuing this goal is going to be an even greater uphill battle. I don't imagine the situation getting better in the next 3 months, but feel this may be my only shot for a long long long time.

I'm healthy, and have been conditioning, taking extra precautions to sanitize and disinfect, distancing, etc, and wonder if being out on the open trail is actually less risky than staying cooped up in my country of residence. Assuming there are no travel restrictions, I'd like to get anyone's thoughts on the ff:

1. How high is the risk or being shunned or worse getting hurt due to xenophobia, for an east asian? (I am filipino but am often mistaken for a chinese person)

2. Should i seek out private albergues instead to avoid staying in close contact with others? Or will off peak hiking on the norte already be less crowded in itself?

3. Would it be wiser to delay my trip to May instead? Or should i only expect restrictions to get tighter?

Appreciate any information that would help make deciding easier!

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021" ... (GOD WILLING!)
Hi @Lakbayniluis
Needless to say none of us have a magic crystal ball to look into and things can obviously swing one way just as the other but I will attempt to answer your questions (although your post and my answer probably should belong on "to be or not to be" thread...and Moderators may as well move them)

1. That is not what Camino is known for, so I would say you being shunned because "you look Chinese" is zero-to-none (and obviously the virus spread enough for Europeans and Americans to catch it)
2. You will be in contact with others in the plane, in the restaurants, in ANY public place. As many already pointed out - the hope is that Hospitalleros will do their diligence of cleaning the beds to the very best of their abilities. If that (to some extend) is not the case - then the person with the virus could've stayed in the very private room you are getting into and...BOOM!... that room being private didnt help you any. Thing of this nature can strike anytime anywhere and its completely unpredictable.
3. Again we dont know what to expect but I'm not sure 'wiser' is the right way of looking at it. It could get better, it could get worse

You have to joggle these things for yourself as many others here do (again - refer to "to Be or Not to Be" thread). No given number of replies will make deciding easier. We are all in the same boat.

Whatever you decide - Good luck and Buen Camino (be it now or sometime later) 👋 🙏 ✌ 🚶‍♂️

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
Italy is shutting down all bars and restaurants and all shops except food shops and pharmacies.

CaminoTrails

Camino Trails
Camino(s) past & future
(2017) (2018) (2020) all on the Camino Frances.
I live in Washington state and President Trump just now announced that travel from Europe will no longer be allowed for the next 30 days. This is unprecedented. We are all living in the making of profound and legendary history. Buen Camino my friends.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
"The nail in the coffin" for US pilgrims. Not able to return. I think it is a correct decision: Last 24 hours have shown exponential increase in Europe, and Spain is one of the3-4 worst countries right now.

CaminoTrails

Camino Trails
Camino(s) past & future
(2017) (2018) (2020) all on the Camino Frances.
"The nail in the coffin" for US pilgrims. Not able to return. I think it is a correct decision: Last 24 hours have shown exponential increase in Europe, and Spain is one of the3-4 worst countries right now.
I totally agree. This virus is serious and I'm cancelling my Camino. I don't want to give my 91 year old mom the virus and of course, I could get it here where I live. So why stress while I'm on vacation.

chinacat

Veteran Member
Might this offer some hope for US pilgrims who become stranded?

“There will be exemptions for Americans who have undergone appropriate screenings.”
(D. Trump)

At least the test for the virus is likely to be considerably less expensive in Europe than in the US.

peregrina2000

Staff member
The ban, according to Homeland Security, does not apply to US nationals. I don’t understand this, it is not as if the virus is sensitive to your nationality.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
The ban, according to Homeland Security, does not apply to US nationals. I don’t understand this, it is not as if the virus is sensitive to your nationality.

It's because they can't deny US citizens entry to the country. Of course if there are no flights, then...

doctorherman

Camino(s) past & future
Frances*3, Ingles, Primitivo, Finisterre, Baztan, and Portuguese
It looks like Donald Trump has seen how well China dealt with the situation (once they realised it was a biggie) and how reducing people movement is the clear key to its swift reduction. The right decision and more countries should follow in closing their borders and quarantining citizens for a month or two, to get this thing contained as soon as possible.

grayland

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
The current advice is that US nationals will be allowed to return..provided that they have gone through strict screening.

The State Department is identifying the exact countries involved and the excepted persons.

The situation Is just being clarified and reported at this very minute.

Let’s take a “time out” on posting for a little while. There is a lot of misinformation and opinions being posted ( and deleted) now.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 195 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 321 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 369 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock