• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Correct Fit and Adjustments of a Backpack

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

After watching a gazillion videos and photos of various Caminos and pilgrims, I have become increasingly aware (and bothered) by the large number of ill-fitting backpacks being worn. There is a big difference to the comfort and feel of a backpack that is sized correctly and adjusted properly. To this end, I have included two YouTube videos for those who might be interested because they are beginners searching for a new backpack, or for those who are curious if their backpacks can be better adjusted.

Even though the video demonstrations are using specific brands of packs, the sizing and adjustment procedures are nearly universal to all packs.

In the next video, the fit and adjustment description starts at the 2:10 mark, although the information to that point is good.

It also helps, when choosing a backpack, that you load it with around 20 pounds (9 kg) and spend 20 minutes or so walking around the store, including up and down stairs, to get a good impression of how that pack really feels to you. And be sure to ask about the vendor's policy of returning or exchanging the pack if, while using it during your pre-trip conditioning walks, the pack just doesn't seem to fit correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After watching a gazillion videos and photos of various Caminos and pilgrims, I have become increasingly aware (and bothered) by the large number of ill-fitting backpacks being worn. There is a big difference to the comfort and feel of a backpack that is sized correctly and adjusted properly. To this end, I have included two YouTube videos for those who might be interested because they are beginners searching for a new backpack, or for those who are curious if their backpacks can be better adjusted.

Even though the video demonstrations are using specific brands of packs, the sizing and adjustment procedures are nearly universal to all packs.

In the next video, the fit and adjustment description starts at the 2:10 mark, although the information to that point is good.

It also helps, when choosing a backpack, that you load it with around 20 pounds (9 kg) and spend 20 minutes or so walking around the store, including up and down stairs, to get a good impression of how that pack really feels to you. And be sure to ask about the vendor's policy of returning or exchanging the pack if, while using it during your pre-trip conditioning walks, the pack just doesn't seem to fit correctly.
Very useful thank you. God we need all the help we can get sometimes if we got that much right it would be a load off my mind as well as my back. Thanks again genuinely.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would like to put my two-penneth in - I think women-specific packs are worth it.
Women specific packs solve a lot of sizing issues for women, and even some men. Seriously. It should be kept in mind to not be averse to choosing a well fitting pack because of gender labeling.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Women specific packs solve a lot of sizing issues for women, and even some men. Seriously. It should be kept in mind to not be averse to choosing a well fitting pack because of gender labeling.
We need to address both side of our personalities

I would like to put my two-penneth in - I think women-specific packs are worth it.
I agree. I tried on the unisex/men's version of my backpack (which is a women's fit), and despite them being pretty much the same length, the shoulder straps didn't feel comfortable. I was a little disappointed, because I did like the color scheme of the men's pack better.

I agree. I tried on the unisex/men's version of my backpack (which is a women's fit), and despite them being pretty much the same length, the shoulder straps didn't feel comfortable. I was a little disappointed, because I did like the color scheme of the men's pack better.

There are two basic styles of straps: the "S" strap, and the "J" strap. Various manufacturers may call them by different names, or offer them as the standard shape for male or female specific packs. It is one of the reasons that packs designed for women can feel better for an individual woman. There are also manufacturers, like ULA, which forgo women or men specific packs, but can switch out both shoulder straps and hip belts to suit individual body types and sizes.

The J straps are the traditional shaped straps, and work best on most men with average builds.

The S straps work best on almost all women and men with larger upper body builds, square shoulders and good posture. If you are a short torso, but with a larger upper body, a slightly longer strap might help.

I've listed some sites that demonstrate these shape differences. Ignore the specific brands.

https://massdrop-s3.imgix.net/produ...c.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=crop&w=955&dpr=1

https://www.goruck.com/gr1-curved-straps/

https://www.rei.com/c/backpack-shou...b&ir=category:backpack-shoulder-straps&page=1

I might note that the design of the hipbelt plays a role in a comfortably fitting backpack. Instead of having 2 straps to adjust and tighten the hipbelt, a belt with 4 straps --- 2 straps on each side of the belt, one on the top part of the belt and one on the bottom part of the belt.

By having 4 straps, you can get the belt to better snug to the curve of the hips. You can better dial-in the adjustment and feel of the belt.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Same here. I liked it In red but it was just for women.

@davebugg, you are, at this moment - 4 months late - a Camino Angel. Thank you! Since starting the Camino Inglés a few days ago, I have not felt comfortable with my pack - which I have used on my past 4 Camino's comfortably! Today while walking I was, in a sense, asking for help in finding the right one for my elderly, changing body. And here's the starting point for my search! Amazing! Thanks so much!

@davebugg, you are, at this moment - 4 months late - a Camino Angel. Thank you! Since starting the Camino Inglés a few days ago, I have not felt comfortable with my pack - which I have used on my past 4 Camino's comfortably! Today while walking I was, in a sense, asking for help in finding the right one for my elderly, changing body. And here's the starting point for my search! Amazing! Thanks so much!

I am happy that the information is of help to you. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.