• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cortisone Hip Injection

Canuck Pilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2017 Camino Frances
September 2019 Camino Frances
I was supposed to get a cortisone injection in my hip this morning but between the Dr and I , we decided that the risk outweighed the rewards. Although injections are a common procedure there is a 3% chance of getting a nasty infection in your body which could not be treated properly before I leave in 10 days time. In addition I am on a heavy duty blood thinner so if a blood vessel is accidently clipped I would not be able to stop the bleeding hence a huge hematoma would form on my hip and thigh area. Both of these possible outcomes would put an end to my Camino before it even happens. Thus I will be attempting my Camino on a painful hip but I believe I can deal with it using ice. heat KT Tape, Biofreeze and Advil( limited though due to the blood thinner) and using my hiking poles regularly. I also stepped on a piece of glass last night which was imbedded in the bottom of my foot. The Dr froze the foot and managed to get out the glass, I hope all of it is now out. So some pain and limping happening now but I have 10 days left to heal. As they say when it rains it pours but we keep to moving. Ultreya

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey, @Canuck Pilgrim seems like the bad Faerie are on your back ;)

No one should ever take advice from an old Pagan but we get by and here's mine.

Sit down in a dark corner and gather up all those regrets, all those sins of omission and commission the lesser and the greater. And when you've got them all, or as many as you can, put them in a stone or a shiny thing. Pack them in tight. When you get to the right spot on the Camino - put them down and walk away....

I wish you good roads and Buen Camino and may the wind blow some luck your way

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was supposed to get a cortisone injection in my hip this morning but between the Dr and I , we decided that the risk outweighed the rewards. Although injections are a common procedure there is a 3% chance of getting a nasty infection in your body which could not be treated properly before I leave in 10 days time. In addition I am on a heavy duty blood thinner so if a blood vessel is accidently clipped I would not be able to stop the bleeding hence a huge hematoma would form on my hip and thigh area. Both of these possible outcomes would put an end to my Camino before it even happens. Thus I will be attempting my Camino on a painful hip but I believe I can deal with it using ice. heat KT Tape, Biofreeze and Advil( limited though due to the blood thinner) and using my hiking poles regularly. I also stepped on a piece of glass last night which was imbedded in the bottom of my foot. The Dr froze the foot and managed to get out the glass, I hope all of it is now out. So some pain and limping happening now but I have 10 days left to heal. As they say when it rains it pours but we keep to moving. Ultreya
I hope you heal quickly and have a buen camino. That must be tough, especially with the foot!

I get hip injections regularly but opted out of the last one, and I'm on the Camino Frances right now. I've never had a reaction other than temporary heart issues, but didn't want to take a chance before the trip. So far, so good. Hiking poles have been a lifesaver (ok, hip saver at least) and I actually haven't had any hip dislocations the last two weeks I've been here! Biofreeze is great stuff. I'm also carrying arnica and pain scripts.

My prayers are with you, CP. . . your level of anxiety in trying to deal with these issues just prior to your departure must be mentally exhausting.

If I am in pain with any activity, and I want to continue that activity, my primary question to my provider is, "Is the pain a sign that further damage is happening, or is it OK to just continue with the pain?" You may have sought the answer already. For me, I am far less anxious when I know the pain isn't a signal of continued injury or damage.

Have a blessed Camino, and keep us apprised of your progress and health.
Dave :)

Hello Pilgrim,

I walked in May 2018 with a bad hip that got worse as I neared Santiago. The last days were a grind, but I found that with an ibuprofen and a good walking rhythm, the pain became manageable, and I was able to finish, even after falling on a sidewalk in O Pedrouzo, but that’s another story. You can also get consumed by the pain, and it was sometimes a little difficult to maintain an even keel because of it; I’m afraid I wasn’t the most pleasant of companions as I walked.
Almost a year of constant pain later during which I tried cortisone injections in the hip, I got a full replacement. I did what I could to get the most mileage out of the old one, even with the pain, and you can probably do the same.
I’m now looking forward to the Primitivo on the new hip.
I hope your condition will let you walk easily enough to enjoy your Camino, and for others to enjoy your company.

All the best,
Paul

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You might ask your medical provider if using Voltadol Forte gel is recommended for your hip issue. In Spain it is easily available, cheap, & without a prescription (no idea a/b Canuck land but in the US none of those apply). Tell the doc it’s even available in 23.2mg/g strength.
Best wishes to you on your journey!

Check this out serola.com. Changed my life. This belt is amazing, weighs nothing. And after the connective tissue grows, I wear it for maintaince. If I get a pain, I put it on over my shorts.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.