• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cosmic Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the CF last year from SJPdP to SdC. It was a magical, memorable and spiritual experience. I've started planning a return in 2018.
Yesterday, here in the US, I had another magical, memorable and spiritual experience, a total eclipse of the sun. It got me to thinking how special it would be to be on a Camino during a total solar eclipse. So I searched NASA websites, and discovered that indeed there is going to be a total solar eclipse in northern Spain, on Aug 12, 2026. The path of totality crosses the Camino Primitivo near Lugo, and the Camino Frances near Ponferrada. Most of Galicia and western Castille y Leon will get at least a partial eclipse. So mark your calendars for a Cosmic Camino on Aug 12, 2026. Just 9 more years to stay in shape!

Great information - That's only 26 kms from Cruz de Ferro and THAT would be an awesome photograph to make! I'm marking that on my calendar too, I only hope I still have that calendar (and two working knees) in 9 years!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Cool! But I"ll be 78....

And so you shall! Perhaps I will meet you in the Ponferrada area.

I just celebrated "the American eclipse' from my backyard, where we had a five-day gathering and then got up early to prepare for the eclipse--and about half a minute of totality. We opted to stay on the farm rather than travel further south for more of that amazing time.

Interestingly, a huge osprey flew over our pond (two acres, large) for a few minutes, very low, just before it began to become dim. This osprey frequents the area, but has never spent time right above us. It made it all the more interesting. Totality is a stunning thing.

This was the third eclipse I have experienced in my nearly 58 years, the first, in Oregon; the second was on the Baja Peninsula in the early nineties, and included about seven minutes of totality, as I recall; this was the third. Magical.

We had eclipse glasses--the real thing--which I will save for the Spain eclipse. I am delighted to know of it, but guarantee that all of the Camino lovers around the world will be flooding in.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Can't make it to Spain for the August 12, 2026 solar eclipse? Then make plans for the one happening on August 2, 2027 [wow, can you believe it, TWO in less than a year, this time in the southern part of Spain, i.e. Malaga]. Buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And so you shall! Perhaps I will meet you in the Ponferrada area.

And well we may meet there! I live near the 'totality belt' of this eclipse -- 99% -- I saw part of it but missed a lot of it due to cloud cover. But it was still a magical and spiritual experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.