• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cost Calculator for Camino Francés

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I notice when your total is given after adding everything up it says "The total cost will be around (without the daily beer)"
Why not make beer/wine an option in itself? I know I drank at least a few wines every evening and would have to factor that in to my total.
Otherwise it's very helpful.

It did not work for me. In the number of days to walk, I put 70. It told me to put in values between %s and %s. This does not make sense to me?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Istvan_Pamplona said:
... Make a quick estimation of your expenses with this free online Cost Calculator: http://caminoteca.com/index.php/cost-calculator.html
It's an interesting set-up. However, how would it be possible to visualize varying costs in various locations during any Camino :?: . Particularly the last 100 kms to Santiago have different, usually more expensive, options compared to facilities in previous stretches. How can one integrate these into a scheme? Wouldn't it be interesting to propose "average" item costs, rather than have several selections? Isn't it that a budget does not mean that you have to spend it? It's not an easy feat, but all the same a "thank you" for starting an interesting subject. :D

Anniesantiago said:
It did not work for me. In the number of days to walk, I put 70. It told me to put in values between %s and %s. This does not make sense to me?

It's too long of a time period. Try 30 or 35 and then multiply that by 2. I tried 60 and it said the same thing.

{Candace}
http://www.pilgrimontherun.com
-a blog about life, a bucket list, and a future pilgrimage-

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Gaz27 said:
I notice when your total is given after adding everything up it says "The total cost will be around (without the daily beer)"
Why not make beer/wine an option in itself? I know I drank at least a few wines every evening and would have to factor that in to my total.
Otherwise it's very helpful.

You are right, "without the daily beer" phrase has been deleted. This was just a joke from my web designer:)

Choweth said:
Anniesantiago said:

It's too long of a time period. Try 30 or 35 and then multiply that by 2. I tried 60 and it said the same thing.

{Candace}
http://www.pilgrimontherun.com
-a blog about life, a bucket list, and a future pilgrimage-

70 days to walk Camino Francés? Wow:)
The original range was set up from 1 day to 50 days.
Adapted to the needs range increased from 1 day to 100 days.

"Value must be between %s and %s": we are working on this bug to fix it, thanks for warning!

I get the idea behind this, but I think the major limitation will be that many people spend some time in the cheapest accommodation and some time in more expensive. Some days they have a pilgrim dinner, some days they cook for themselves. There is no way to account for these variations.

But it WILL give people an idea of what to realistically expect and so from that point of view may be very valuable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think this calculator is a brilliant tool to help pilgrims get an idea of general costs.

I think this is a really useful tool. I put in my estimated time, "desires and expectations," etc., and it calculated what I think is a reasonable estimate for costs. I will add in my monetary cushion amount - including euros for my daily beer and/or wine!
Kathy

I got an error message when I hit "Calculate":

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /web/caminoteca/caminoteca.com/components/com_calcbuilder/models/calcbuilder.php(383) : eval()'d code on line 1

It did give me a calculated result which looked about right, though. Thanks for this useful tool.

Karl

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I like it!

I have a suggestion for a few more categories:

Pharmacy supplies (blister treatment, ibuprofen, etc.) €0-5 per day
I'm fit as a fiddle! (€0)
I need the occasional aspirin or bandage (€2)
I plaster myself from head to toe with Compeed (€5)

Entrance fees to museums and historical buildings (€0-5 per day)
Nah, not interested (€0)
From time to time (€2)
Every chance I get! (€5)

Yallah said:
I like it!

I have a suggestion for a few more categories:

Pharmacy supplies (blister treatment, ibuprofen, etc.) €0-5 per day
I'm fit as a fiddle! (€0)
I need the occasional aspirin or bandage (€2)
I plaster myself from head to toe with Compeed (€5)

Entrance fees to museums and historical buildings (€0-5 per day)
Nah, not interested (€0)
From time to time (€2)
Every chance I get! (€5)

Yallah, these are great!!!!! Good ideas, and easy to attach to the application. Thanks a lot!!!

The calculator worked great for me at 45 days. I agree that adding beer/wine, pharmacy, and museum admission categories would be helpful for planning. My thanks to you and your web designer for this helpful tool.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I wasn't able to put in "how many days" The field was highlighted and required yet it wouldn't take my number.

kmrice said:
I got an error message when I hit "Calculate":

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /web/caminoteca/caminoteca.com/components/com_calcbuilder/models/calcbuilder.php(383) : eval()'d code on line 1

It did give me a calculated result which looked about right, though. Thanks for this useful tool.

Karl

Same here, but otherwise a very useful tool! Thanks, Sy

The calculator is great for the essentials of day-to-day living.

Apart from the 'daily beer', which unfortunately for me has been a considerable expense :shock: , the other expenses might include tobacco (approx 4.50 Euros for 20 cigs), transport to and from the Camino etc. I appreciate the latter is very individual and can't really be included in a calculator.

I know it sounds obvious, but an important thing to bear in mind when preparing is that in some ways the real cost is how much it compares with being at home. You could be on Camino for a month or more, so you'd have spent a good deal of money at home in that time anyway. Depending on where you live and your spending habits the air fare could be the single biggest factor. You may also save money by not doing some of the things you usually do, such as clothes shopping! :D (p.s. Apart from in István's shop anyway! :D :D )

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back