• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cost Estimates for the Camino Frances

jfellows123

Time of past OR future Camino
For any one thinking about doing the Camino Frances, you may have questions about how to estimate the cost of your trip. This is a tough question to answer since it depends on so many factors (e.g., how far you can walk each day, how much you want to visit the ~700 world heritage sites along the way, home many rest days you need, whether you just stay in Camino albergues, your beer budget, etc). But, the range is typically $600-800 Euros to $1,600-2,200 Euros for the entire walk (divide these ranges by the number of days you think you'll have). To that, you'll need to add airfare and your equipment costs. There is a great cost model in the Camino Community Guides app that provides estimates based on pace, days off, different lodging options, etc and great recommendations about how to get to the start and what to take (see: http://www.caminocommunityguide.com)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Some people are able to walk the Camino Frances ± 800km spending €15 - €20 a day which is less than €700.
The calculator on http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/calculadora/ allows for approx. €30 which includes staying in albergues, paying for the occasional laundry, visits to museums or cathedrals etc.
If one walks for 33 days that will cost around €1000.

My cheapest day on the Camino was €8,70 :D But my average was €15,- to €20,- a day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I returned July 5 after 32 days walking from St. Jean to Santiago. I stayed in albergues--some municipal but mostly private. I usually ate the evening pilgrim meal but sometimes made a sandwich from the grocery store. Sometimes there isn't a choice on albergues because the cheaper ones are full. My costs were albergues 5 - 10 euro per night. Pilgrim meal 8 - 10 euro per night. Breakfast in albergues (which I didn't do very much) were around 3 Euro. I stopped after a few hours for a bocadillo and coffee which was about 5 euro. If you want a beer it's about 2 Euro depending on size and location. The big cities and Santiago are more expensive. Private hostels for two people were between 30-40 euro per night but sometimes I wanted my own bathroom and some privacy.

jfellows123 said:
700 world heritage sites along the way

I can only find a few world heritage sites along the Frances. Can you provide a website showing more sites? I would love to see as much as time will allow. Thanks!

create space,
Off topic, forgive me. Would be interested to know what your itinerary was to make 31 days. Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
JohnMcM said:
create space,
Off topic, forgive me. Would be interested to know what your itinerary was to make 31 days. Thanks.

I will send you our itinerary by private message so not to muddy up the subject line. :D

I had no kit, the whole experience was new, I spentt ages researching kit, I bought everything cut price at outlets or online, but good brands, I didn't ditch and replace kit as others who bought cheaper kit did.
I started SJPP and experienced snow blizzard, torrential rain, winds, dry heat.
My coat was super light north face gortex £180
My trail shoes merrell £70
My back pack north face 50ltr with off back ventilation £55
I wore running pants/leggings 2 pair @ £40 each, in 10 days of rain I wore both pair as one didn't dry for next day
I had a merino wool Top base layer £40
A north face hoody light weight £40
A light polar tec fleece £40
One hiking shorts merrell £40
One running shorts for after shower £11
One tec T shirt £11
One yoga top £8
Sleeping bag £35
sllk bag liner £25

3 x socks £25
Petzl head torch £23
Sundries, ie washing line, food box, mug, bodywallet, packing cubes, rucksac cover, £50
Hiking poles £32
teva sandals £50
shower flip flops £14
Poncho £30
Water bladder £25
I don't know what I forgot here but I spent over £1000 on kit

I was away from home 42 days with a night in London and 3 in burgos, 3 in Santiago, 2 in finistere
I spent 6 of 42 nights in hotel, the rest was albugues
I spent a lot of money in pharmacy, on foot treatments, painkillers //////ibrupofen, sunlotion and moisturiser
I spent at least 50 euro a day, on alburgue, pilgrim meal, lunch and fruit water and chocolate, pharmacy,
washing and drying your clothes could cost more than a bed or meal in some places, around 8 euro if you arrive late and no one to share washing
I did loose around £1300 - that is in another post
walking the camino cost me around £5000
blew my budget, I need to spend some time with those that are doing for 15 - 20 euro a day, i'd probably pass out, I had very little luxury, was always tired and hungry on my budget.

I don't think you can make this journey cash poor (well of course you can, in piety, but not otherwise,) you need contingency funds for sure

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Wow! £14 for flip flops and £40 for leggings? I know things are more expensive in the U.K but that seems like a lot. Not criticizing just hoping it doesn't cost me that much for my gear.
Is the £1300 that you lost figured into your total?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
FooteK said:
Whoo! You spent too much money!!
Kathy
We have expensive kit too, but it has been on the Camino several times now so the cost evens out. As far as spending on the Camino itself goes that is surely a personal matter for Claire. For some it may seem too much but if it results in a happy and fulfilling Camino then it is surely money well spent and it is not really fair to criticize it.

Our 42 days in 2012 cost us about 30-35 euros a day each. We would budget the same, or a little more for inflation, next year but we think it worth it.

Hi waywalker
Yes i bought more flipflops despite having a drawer full because my collection of havaianas were too heavy
Every gram you carry counts
The running pants where on sale at £40 super lightweight and moisture wicking dry quick etc
I hope to use all the gear i bought again
I did believe i used a tight budget
I feel some bugets posted on here are unrealistic
You are stripped back to basic needs
Eat drink sleep/shelter
I did see people eating a cake for 1 euro on a rest stop before continuing a further 10 or 15k
I would spend 5 euro on a hot snack
At every opportunity
I cant walk for 8 hours on a spoon of sugar
I spent a lot of money without luxury

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes my money loss is included
You dont need to carry cash like i did
But after my loss
I did have one 22km hike with 2 euro in my pocket
And twice i had problems with atms
Which is why i carried the cash in the start
I recvommend having 500 in cash and never let it drop below 100
I was charged everytime i withrew cash too
So am still a fan of carrying cash
I was very unlucky with the loss

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was on the camino for 50 days. I figure I spent around 2000 Euros. Thats accomodation, food, and sundries averaging 40 euro per day. I guess that translates to about $2500.

That includes two nights of hotel before and after walking, a pair of shoes (my boots wore out near Melide), train to Madrid, and meals on the travel home with some pocket money left over when I got home so its probably closer to 35 euros per day.

One big expense can really drive the average up.

I figure travel and accomodations getting to and from the camino was around $2000, most of that on airline tickets. I went home early; changing reservations cost a lot too.

If I had stayed at home I would have spent perhaps $1200. So actual cost of the trip was around $3000

These numbers are not exact ... I didn't keep books.

I hike so I had most of the gear before I even considered the camino. I would not recommend buying anything for the camino unless you have a use for it off camino. You don't need high tech gear. Of course there are exceptions such as sleeping bag and pack that you might not already have.

20-25 euro for me each day.

Small fruits for morning.
Cafe' con leche (or two) with chocolate croissant/tortilla mid-morning.
Tuna/bread/cheese/crisps/Aquarius from backpack for lunch.
Refugio
Beer
Dinners cooked with others when possible.
Wine
Chocolate

Of course some days are more depending on my mood at the time.

I could spend less, but I like beer/wine/chocolate too much.
:D

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back