• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cost of accommodation

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Just bringing together some thoughts on this and I'm posting it now for anyone planning to use the route soon so you know roughly what the costs are.

Albergues

There are currently albergues in Neda, Miño and Hospital de Bruma - these have been established through the enthusiasm of local Amigos Associations rather than an overall plan of accommodation needs on this route. A plan may only now be emerging.

Therefore most pilgrims use the following stages – Ferrol – Pontedueme
Pontedeume – Betanzos
Betanzos – Hospital de Bruma
Hospital de Bruma – Sigueiro
Sigueiro – Santiago de Compostela

Using hostal or hotel accommodation at each stage or either hostal accommodation or the excellent albergue at Hospital de Bruma.

New albergues planned:

Local authorities in the area have started meeting to discuss extending the network of municipal albergues along the Camino Inglés. New albergues are planned for Betanzos and Carral (the latter being on the A Coruña arm)

The new albergue in Betanzos will be ready in the second half of 2009 and will provide 40 places. It is situated at 1 Rua Cervantes in the town centre.

Last week I decided to not book in advance and simply test whether I could get cheap accommodation by just arriving on spec :)

Here is what I paid:

Flying into A Coruna staying overnight before getting the bus to Ferrol - 15 euros for a room

Pontedeume - 24 euros

Betanzos - 20 euros

Bruma ( Meson do Vento ) 18 euros

Sigueiro 15 euros

There are of course more expensive options at each of these stages.

John

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In Ferrol I stayed at the hostal Zanzibar or Zambia or something African that starts with Z... it was 25 Euros for a single.

In Pontedeume I stayed at the hostel run by Luis at Bar Luis. It was a dead-simple single room, but I had my own shower and bed, and who needs much more when you´re knackered? It cost 10 Euro.

The next night I paid 40 Euro for a deluxe room at a 4 star near the Guardia Civil barrack, as the Pulperia Universal is closed on Sundays. (I´d Love to stay at a place with such a wacky name!) The town was full of a biker convention, so all the cheap places were full. (I would advise all to NOT start this walk on a weekend!)

The following night I stayed at the pilgrim refuge in Hospital de Bruma for 3 Euros.

Then I stayed for 20 Euro at the Hostal Santa Cruz, somewhere about 7 km. along the main road north of Siguero. (I kinda got lost, OK?) But this was a high point of the hike for me... the room was clean and sunny with a million-mile view and cows lowing out back. And there´s an asador downstairs: a 10 Euro Menu included a monton of fire-grilled lambchops!

And that´s about all there is to tell... I suppose the prices really ARE comparable.

Just for further comparison here are the places I stayed on Camino Ingles. All prices are for two people in twin room in August (which counts as 'high' season in places that have a variable tariff).

Ferrol - El Cairo, 35 euros for twin room with private facilities. Clean and good shower. Could have had room in same hotel with shared facilities for 30 euros.
Also looked at Hostal da Magdalena where a room with private facilities would have been 29 euros but the bathroom was miniscule and the place somehow didn't have a good feel to it. Also looked into Hotel Real where twin with bathroom would have cost 45 euros. Looked quite smart.

Pontedueme - Bar Luis, 30 euros with bathroom. Again clean and good shower. Menu del dia 10 euros - delicious! Open early for breakfast/coffee too.

Betanzos - Bar Cheino, 30 euros with shared facilities. My least favourite place. Stark room without even a socket to charge phone. Slightly unpleasant odour in so-so clean bathroom. Would recommend looking at Chocolateria down the road instead.

Hospital de Bruma - Albergue, 3 euros. Possibly the kindest hospitalero on the planet!

Siguiero - Polideportivo (sportshall), Free! Slightly grubby mattresses or plastic coated exercise mats to sleep on. Good hot showers.

Santiago - Hostal Fonseca, 30 euros with shared facilities. Kept regularly and scrupulously clean by Maria Jesus. Was able to leave luggage there whilst went to Finisterre for a couple of days.

Only other useful piece of info is to be aware that there were no bars open between Bruma and Siguiero on a Sunday and we had no opportunity to eat all day. (Apparently Bar Novo did open later in the day but not in time for promised late morning/breakfast stop) Suggest carrying provisions to be on safe side.

Good luck and Buen Camino to anyone walking this route in the near future.

Laura

John,
Can you please advise what accomodation you used in A Coruna?
Regards..............E. : :p

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Egbert - First time I stayed in a splendid 3 star hotel the Riazor who had a seriously low priced mid week special - room looking onto the bay http://www.riazorhotel.com/

Next time I think I tried a recommendation from the forum but it was full so I just googled it and booked a place on the internet - 'twas fine and very cheap.

I've also stayed here: http://www.hostalpalacio.com - it was a quick overnight and I think they only charge 12 or 15 euros.

I've just looked again and there are loads listed.

When are you going?

John

We stayed at hostel Alianza which was very central, about 50 m from the Plaza Maria Pita. The church of Santiago in the old part of the city and the beginning of the Camino is not far on the other side of the Plaza. It is on one floor of this building and has small, basic rooms off a central corridor. No en-suites, no breakfast, but clean, warm and quiet, with strong hot showers and a friendly host. Cost us 15 euros per head. Plenty of various priced eating places near by.

Attachments

• DSCF0153smaller.jpg
    DSCF0153smaller.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,051
Hello john,thanks for the reply.
Starting from A Coruna on 22nd April. Will walk to Meson do Vento,then get the bus to Ferrol and continue on to Santiago.
Kind regards...............Egbert. :ll: 8)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bridget and Peter,thanks for the info on the hostel.It looks to be pretty close to the Camino.
Will check it out online, and if the price is right,will book it.
Kind regards.............Egbert. :wink:

Egbert
check out our blog (see below) for off road riverside route from the medieval bridge at O Burgo to near Cambre - basically follow the river on the east bank. There are other posts in Jan/Feb this year with links to google earth and other mapping with a choice of routes marked.
We stopped at Hostal Alba at O Campons just south of Cambre. I think that was 15 euros a head too.
Bridget

Egbert - we'll be on the route at roughly the same time - but in different places. I'm also in correspondence with two other pilgrims going separately that week. The Ingles is looking up!

Let's hope for good weather :)

Buen Camino

John

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.