• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cost of albergues

Clark

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to hike the Portuguese Way from Porto to Santiago in May 2018
Hello everyone!

I'm planning to take the coastal way from Porto to Santiago next year and I'm trying to plan my expenses early to start saving.

From the videos I've seen I thought the alburgues we around 5€ a night but on the sheet I printed out that lists them in seeing hardly any for under 30€. Has the cost really gone up that much?

Also, how much should a pilgrim budget for meals and extras on the Camino? Thank you!

Clark

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
About this time last year I was paying between 5 and 10 euro per night for a bed in municipal and private albergues. I find it hard to believe there has been such a large increase. What is the source of your list?

I would expect to pay around 10 euro for a menu del dia, perhaps 3 euro for coffee and a pastry at breakfast, plus a few euro daily for drinks during the day. I found Portugal a little cheaper than Spain, but both pleasantly affordable for a Brit.

Edit: for more reasonably priced albergues and useful general information why not look at the Gronze website for the Camino Portugues?:
https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues

About this time last year I was paying between 5 and 10 euro per night for a bed in municipal and private albergues. I find it hard to believe there has been such a large increase. What is the source of your list?

I would expect to pay around 10 euro for a menu del dia, perhaps 3 euro for coffee and a pastry at breakfast, plus a few euro daily for drinks during the day. I found Portugal a little cheaper than Spain, but both pleasantly affordable for a Brit.

Edit: for more reasonably priced albergues and useful general information why not look at the Gronze website for the Camino Portugues?:
https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues

Thank you! My source for the information was a pdf file from the resource section of this site. It lists all the places to sleep for the night for the entire camino. Perhaps I was reading it wrong but it deffinitely struck me as odd that the cost would go up so much so quickly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you! My source for the information was a pdf file from the resource section of this site. It lists all the places to sleep for the night for the entire camino. Perhaps I was reading it wrong but it deffinitely struck me as odd that the cost would go up so much so quickly.
If it lists all the accommodation along the way then private room providers will outnumber the albergues. That may skew your perception of the cost. There may only be one or two albergues in a town but perhaps half a dozen hotels. The Gronze website lists albergues with green symbol and private accommodation with a black one.

I don't think the updates are that fast or "up to date." Pilgrims who post information tend to be the parsimonious types.
I have walked several Camino over the past few year, and yes it is getting more expensive by the year. The less traveled routes like the ingles, portugese and aragones are even more expensive because they don't necessarily have places that cater to pilgrims every day.

I found the cp cheaper in Portugal than Spain. €25 - €30 a day should do it. Some days will be more expensive others less.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm planning to take the coastal way from Porto to Santiago next year and I'm trying to plan my expenses early to start saving.

From the videos I've seen I thought the alburgues we around 5€ a night but on the sheet I printed out that lists them in seeing hardly any for under 30€. Has the cost really gone up that much?

Hi, the municipal “Albergue de Peregrinos” in Spain are 5 or 6 euros per night. Unfortunately there are not many of those on the Portuguese Coastal route :(
Jill

I am walking the CP in May and am most concerned about the long stretch between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima...over 34 km in one stage, and we will still be green on the walk starting in Porto. There seems to be a serious lack of places to stay between those two points, so I'm trying to come up with a strategy. Any suggestions?
I'll post this on the CP forum too.

I am walking the CP in May and am most concerned about the long stretch between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima...over 34 km in one stage, and we will still be green on the walk starting in Porto. There seems to be a serious lack of places to stay between those two points, so I'm trying to come up with a strategy. Any suggestions?

Ouroboros,

Hi again after many years!
You might consider detouring a bit to stop at this casa rurale.
All is very comfortable and their breakfast extremely copious! Stayed here December 2013 when driving through northern Portugal after walking to Santiago per usual.

Good luck and Bom caminho!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
https://www.gronze.com/etapa/barcelos/ponte-lima
This link shows quite a few alternatives

Stay at Casa Fernanda. Special bonus - it is one of the best experiences you'll ever have. Fernanda are Jacinto are two of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Bom Caminho!

I heartily endorse Catahoula19's post. It's a wonderful albergue, and halfway between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. Dinner, bed and breakfast provided and donativo. The beds are real beds, not bunks, with linen and doona.

Thanks so much, everyone, for your help! I am grateful to have some alternatives on that stretch, and good ones, no less! Thank-you again.

Hail there, @mspath, Margaret! Yes, my husband said to
ask him about returning to the camino no sooner than five years from the time we
walked it in 2012...so here we are! Much has transpired since our walk on the Frances,
all very much a blessing!
I see that you are still a most active pilgrim!
So good to see you here again...

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.