• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cost of Camino

Somebody said: You're gonna need half the stuff and twice the money. They were right, so even if you can't afford to bring double what you think you need, just try to make sure you have access to as much as possible. Live frugally before you go and be prepared to do the same when you come back if necessary. And I'm not afraid to admit I speak from experience ... In six weeks I spent about £1600/$2500/2000 euros, more than some, less than others. It worked out at just under 50 euros a day. I slept in albergues, shared rooms, hotels; I ate pilgrim menus, bread and cheese lunches by the road, posh tapas; I drank the menu wine, Claras, beers, bottled water; I bought a sleeping bag, new boots, a silver necklace as a souvenir. I didn't throw money about and I didn't restrict myself. They were some of the best six weeks in my life and well worth the money!
So you spent this on the Camino or did this include your airfare?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Rebecca Lehman: that was my spend on the Camino after I left home, I bought the ticket from Manchester to Biarritz some months earlier but the sum includes my ticket back again. I thought it was going to be a once-in-a-lifetime thing (how wrong I was) and didn't want to get the return ticket before I got to Santiago.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am walking the Camino Frances this September starting in SJPdP. I want to thank everyone who has participated in this thread, and profusely. You have given me an absolutely clear notion of the budget I'll need. :)

i know this will vary for everyone. But if I can hear other people's advice on this it may give me a bit of a better idea of how much money to save and prepare for.
How much do people typically spend during the full length of the camino? Costs to include accommodations at hostels maybe a couple times in a hotel, and food? Anything else I should consider in my budget? Am I able to access money fairly easily through arm machines?

I appreciate any information on this!

Thanks!!!

In spain the hostels are 5 to 8 Euros. If you like to cook it might cost another 5-8 Euros per day. Pilgrims menu in the evening 9-12 Euros. Bottle of wine from a shop 3 euros and up. If you use the Laundromat 5-6 euros per load. So this is the minimum budget and it goes up from there if you need private accomodations or like to dine out. I think I spent less than 20 euros most days and cooked most of my meals at the hostel and shared with others. Your feet are the most important concern you should have.

30€ per day seems to be the concensus ...hmmmm..that is about 1,000 euros per month, so I think by eating fruit and vegetables with water and a can of tuna fish with a loaf of fresh bread 3 out of 7 days a week, That price can even go lower....depending on your eating habits and self-control..

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am not saying otherwise, nevertheless: Reaching O'Cebreiro on my last 50 €, to my surprise there was no ATM, so be aware. I had to spend 40€ for a private room (all other beds occupied) and 10 € for dinner and wine. I fed on berries through the next day until reaching Triacastela..... and felt like a true pilgrim :D
I realised I'd lost most of my cash while climbing O Cebreiro and it looked like I had to manage on 20 euro until I got to Triacastela 24 hours later. I paid for my bed in Fonfria and then had to ration my remaining euros to ensure I had something to eat that evening and for breakfast the next day ( I am diabetic, so eating properly is important for me). During the course of the evening I met an American guy who very kindly insisted on giving me some money to see myself through until I reached the next ATM...and accepting it made me feel like a true pilgrim. Happily, I was able to repay his generosity by doing likewise for a 'struggling' pilgrim on the via francigena last year.

Last edited:
My budget is $1000 but flexible. I expect about $1200 when all is said and done.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey KSM,

We walked the Camino Frances in September and did it on E20 per day (per person). That is quite doable if you're happy to cook your own dinners 2 out of 3 times, and assuming no big unforeseen expenses.
E25 would give you a bit more comfort/leeway.
E30 is plenty to have a very enjoyable Camino.

For details on how to make it on E20 (or just for some money-saving tips) see here: http://trulyusefulinfo.com/camino-de-santiago-on-a-budget/

Buen Camino!
Drew

Sorry, but I do strongly disagree with this part of your post "The cheapest are often either the municipal or the parish-run albergues (which sometimes only ask a donativo, a donation)" it comes very, very close to suggesting that donativo equals free - which isn't true! SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry, but I do strongly disagree with this part of your post "The cheapest are often either the municipal or the parish-run albergues (which sometimes only ask a donativo, a donation)" it comes very, very close to suggesting that donativo equals free - which isn't true! SY
Hi SYates,
Thanks for your feedback, you are absolutely right. I have updated my post to exclude the comment on donativos. There are many albergues who are dependant on the donativos received to keep on providing this service to pilgrims, and the last thing I would want to do is suggest that people abuse this.

This is really great information. In looking at prices for Albergues I see some refered to as "media pension" what is that and what does it include?

This is really great information. In looking at prices for Albergues I see some refered to as "media pension" what is that and what does it include?
It is the demipension in France -- half board.

Bed, dinner, and breakfast (bread and butter, usually).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would just like to touch on this a little bit. ATM's are not quite as ubiquitous as you would find them in the States or in Canada, where KSM is from. Over here, every bar, post office, grocery store, gas station, etc usually has an ATM. I don't recall seeing any ATM's in bars while I was there, at least not in the small towns. The small "mercados" didn't have them either. I'm not sure about the actual supermarkets, but if you're in a town with a supermarket, odds are there will be ATM's on the street.

So if you're running low on cash, you may want to make sure you have enough for the albergue BEFORE you spend it all on drinks at the bar and dinner, only to find out the town has no ATM and you have to sheepishly borrow money from a fellow pilgrim and pay them back the next day. Not that I speak from experience or anything. ;)
Absolutely agree. When I walked the camino a Danish couple ran out of cash because they expected an ATM in a small town, and there wasn't one. Plan ahead for where the ATMS are.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It just depends on you.
Are you low or high maintenance?

I'm comfortable planning €20-30 per day.
€40 per day will have you living like a Queen on the Camino!

I have coffee, fruit, cheese and toast for breakfast.
When I can, I buy fruit and eggs (boil them at the albergue).

I eat the Menu del Dia (instead of the Menu Peregrino) and picnic dinner.
Cheaper, better (imo), and more food.
That also pays for a beer or two along the way.

Sometimes dinner is just a beer and tapas.

Some nights you will pay as little as €5-6 for a bed.
Other times maybe as much as €18

I have had NO problems finding ATMs along the route.
I never EVER carry more than €200-300 on my person. When I get down to my last €20-40, I find an ATM.

Don't pay to have your laundry done.
Wash it yourself - laundry tubs are provided.
This time of year it will dry fast.
Take large safety pins instead of clothespins so the stuff doesn't blow (or walk) away.

I have a couple of blogs that will tell you about the food you can find on the Camino:

Breakfast:

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/08/eating-on-camino-santiago-coffee-and.html

Lunch/Dinner:

[URL]http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/08/lunch-on-camino-santiago.htmlhttp://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/08/lunch-on-camino-santiago.html[/URL]

Tapas:

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/08/all-about-tapas-and-pinchos.html

To be able to calculate the budget, I used the famous yellow book by Raimund Joos when I did the Camino Frances. He lists all prices for accomondation, food etc. to be able to stay on a budget.
It is now available in English and recently got published:

http://www.camino-de-santiago.de/e-book.htm

Just have a look what to expect in that Ebook. It gives you all information about preparing and walking the Camino!

Walking the camino del Norte/Primitivo (from Bayonne) in 2018, I spent €24 -€28/day. Why such a low amount?
I don't like meat, so I mostly buy my food in supermarkets and eat salads or cook my own meal in the alberghe.

I like the alberghes (private or municipal), rarely needed to go a hostel.
I walk the camino pretty much every year and I am noticing that prices seem to be increasing every year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back