• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cost of going home

michael

Having spent so much time planning my pilgrimage how to get to the start and the route itself I had a casual thought the other day about getting home after.
Would I be right in assuming that if I fetch up in Santiago at some unknown date say in Feb next year and try to buy an airline ticket for the UK for the next day or so it is going to cost me a lot or are all seats low rate whether bought in advance or day before if available?
How far in advance do you have to buy a ticket to get the low rates?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hmm... difficult to say, why don't you try to book a ticket home for tomorrow and see what it will cost?

Of course August is a busier month than February, so try again in November-January as well to get an idea...

Un saludo,
Ivar

prebook

Hi,from my experience it is better to prebook. i flew from canada to london and then with ryan air to biaritz then santiago to london.
booking 2 months ahead i paid 20E for my ticket to london. i checked the flights afew days before and the same flight was 130E. i returned on june 24.
dawn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
re cost home

Yes I have tried looking for short notice tickets and cost is very high compared with advance booking. I assume that this will apply in Feb also.
My plans/time are flexible within reason and cannot really say at this point when I shall be in Santiago as do not know exact start date yet. I am thinking that I could buy a ticket say ten days out from Santiago for fourteen days time which would give me some leeway and or time in Santiago itself. I should hate to arrive late afternoon and have to leave early next day if I had got it wrong!
Anyone else managed to get cheap UK return flight booked in Santiago when they arrived or did you all book in advance?

I'd be inclined to wait until you're on the camino and check every few days - and then book when you're say 7 days away and know your expected date of departure and before it becomes so last minute that fares might have risen higher

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.