• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cost of shipping and storing a bike case

boaty

Time of past OR future Camino
cycling leon to santiago in spring (2018)
Hi Ivar,

how much does it typically cost to ship a bike case to you from St Jean Pied de Port? and how much would storage be? they are bigger than the max dimensions i can put in to any online booking for a courier, 120 x 91 x 28 cm. It weighs under 10kg.
Also do you have any idea how much it would cost to post this from France?

thank you, J.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Rick, that looks useful, do you know any more about it,
it seems to be offering it at about 86 euro.
From st Jean to Santiago - would that be peninsula to provincial?
Do you know if it will be cheaper as i am only sending it to one location rather than out and back as the website seems to offer.
I'm trying to get an idea of how much money i need for the camino and make sure i can afford it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Actually I didn't know they had the to-and-from package. I saw that the Santiago post office had cardboard shipping boxes for bikes and that they had special services for pilgrims so I did a search of the correos site.

I bet that the shipping from France would be really expensive. Maybe it would be cheaper to go to Pamplona and ship your case from there and then bus with the bike to Roncevalles, about 12 euros for both you and the bike. See http://www.autocaresartieda.com/?scc=roncesvalles

You could then start from there or, if you really want to start from SJPdP, ride down through Valcarlos and then back to Roncevalles via the Route Napoleon. I suggest going down via Valcarlos instead of up as there is traffic and it can PROBABLY be handled better going faster as there would be fewer cars passing you.

You might also be able to take your bike with you on the ALSA/CONDES bus from Pamplona to SJPdP but it is a more expensive trip for you and I don't know about the bike.

I see a 2017 Correos' PDF page that looks like they will send a boxed bike up to 20 kg one-way for about 42 euros or less (zona 2 or zona 3) so an empty case might go for less (if the dimensions are about the same as their box.) The PDF file was found at:
http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite?...goBlobs&blobwhere=1365529581987&ssbinary=true

or click the PDF symbol labelled "Tarifas Paq Bicicleta" on this page:
http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/...roductos_az/detalle_de_producto-sidioma=en_GB

A word of caution. I shipped items ahead in Spain and we ended up going very slowly so I had to contanct Correos a few times along the way so they would hold our stuff (I didn't know about Ivar's service.) Count on them not speaking English. If you don't have a translation app recruit a pilgrim who can help you.

The only way i would want to do the st francis camino would be by bicycle.
However the cost involved in getting my bike there from south africa is so high that i have given up on this venture
I cant really understand why its so expensive to transport a item that weighs so little, does not eat anything and does not even use the toilet

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The only way i would want to do the st francis camino would be by bicycle.
However the cost involved in getting my bike there from south africa is so high that i have given up on this venture
I cant really understand why its so expensive to transport a item that weighs so little, does not eat anything and does not even use the toilet
Hoekom het dit jou so baie gekos. Ek is besig om my huiswerk te doen om in Augustus dit per fiets te doen. (Het dit in 2018 gestap) Van wat ek kan sien vra Emirates nie ekstra vir die bike box nie en om dit vanaf Pamplona te stuur kos ongeveer 50 euros. Ek voel net meer gemaklik om my eie fiets te neem met tubeless tyres in plaas van 'n fiets huur.

Google translate: Why it cost you so much. I'm doing my homework to do it by bike in August. (Walked it in 2018) From what I can see Emirates does not charge extra for the bike box and sending it from Pamplona costs about 50 euros. I just feel more comfortable taking my own bike with tubeless tires instead of renting a bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why use a bike shipping case? Use a cardboard bike box, discard on arrival and source another at the end of the ride. Many riders will just wrap the bike in polythene baggage wrapping at the airport but generally a cardboard bike box works well and does not have to be stored at extra expense. On the issue of airline charges for sports equipment just do some research, often it's "swings & roundabouts" and you have to balance ticket price / excess baggage costs / flights availability and other variables....... Travel by bike is wonderful, travel with a bike is a PITA.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.