• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cost of Taxi from airport in Madrid to train station

Vikita

Time of past OR future Camino
(May 27 /June (2017 - Hopefully)
I am flying into Madrid May 8 (Mon.) at 6:00 a.m. I will need to take a taxi from the airport to the train station. Approx. how much does this cost? Also, do I negotiate with the driver or is this a standard fare? I am going to start the Camino in Pamplona. Any idea how much the taxi will be from the station to, for example, the cathedral where I can find an alburgue?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If I remember correctly, it cost us 30 euro from the airport to the Atocha station in Madrid. This was in 2014. This seemed to be a negotiated fare as it was posted at the taxi stand. In Pamplona, we walked from the train station to catch the bus from Pamplona to Roncevalles, so I cannot answer the second question. I do know that we stayed at the Alburgue Aloha in Pamplona when walking our Camino, and we found the place quite enjoyable.

Buen Camino!

The 'Rome2Rio' site is usually pretty accurate: they quote €29-35 for a taxi to Atocha. There's also the C1 suburban train from the airport to Atocha that takes 27 minutes, leaving every 15-20 minutes from 6am (around €2), as well as the Expres Aeropuerto bus which costs €5 (trips to Atocha start from 6am, every 15 mins, you pay the driver in cash).

I remember reading elsewhere on this forum, however, that the easiest way of getting to Pamplona is to catch the Alsa bus directly from Madrid Barajas Airport. In that way you avoid a trip to the centre of Madrid. It takes 5 hours, and costs around €30. The bus station in Pamplona is in the centre of town.

If you arrive at Pamplona Renfe train station, there are local buses every 15 mins to the centre of town (€2). But Pamplona isn't that big, so it shouldn't be too far to walk! However if needed/ preferred, a taxi won't be that much, maybe €6 or €7.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I just walked thru the airport and lo and behold, there was the train station.

Don't want to teach my grandmother to suck eggs :)
Last year I went from Madrid airport to Burgos. My flight got in at 10:05 and I had to transfer to the airport bus station. I could have got the train into the centre of Madrid as their were more busses leaving from that bus station but I thought it wasn't worth the bother as their was plenty of time to spare. Sure enough we waited around for a couple of hours for our 13:15 bus (had a McDonalds in the terminal building)at the airport bus station after catching the free transfer bus between terminals 1/2. If my memory is correct we got in around 16:00 in Burgos. No problems and a lovely coach.
A quick check on ALSA site shows a bus leaving the airport at 10:35 and arriving at Pamplona 15:35.
Maybe you want to stay overnight in Madrid - a very nice city that I have stayed in many times both for business and pleasure over the years.
Their are a huge pile of Taxis at both terminals. Having used them for business trips I found that they always charged on the meter - but I don't recall any Taxi being open to negotiations in Spain. I cant recall it being expensive so 30 Euros would seem about right for most places in the city. Never used the metro in Madrid but have done in Barcelona - easy and very reasonably priced. BTW I don't speak any Spanish apart from the absolute necessity of ordering a beer.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I just walked thru the airport and lo and behold, there was the train station.
That is not the train station. That is the Cercanias station. The Cercanias takes you to the train stations in Madrid.

That is not the train station. That is the Cercanias station. The Cercanias takes you to the train stations in Madrid.
True, but the train station desk is there and I bought my train ticket to Seville which included the local run. It was an easy-peasy one stop shop.

True, but the train station desk is there and I bought my train ticket to Seville which included the local run. It was an easy-peasy one stop shop.
You can also buy your ticket online from home, and not have to queue at the RENFE office.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Vikita,
At that time of day you won't have much traffic, so a taxi will be quick.

You may have your reasons for taking a taxi, but it would be almost as quick to take the Cercanías train if you are lucky with the schedule. It's a one half hour ride, but the train itself only leaves twice an hour.

If your flight will be landing at T4 (that's the fancy new terminal used only by Iberia, American, BA, and other One World Alliance airlines), the Cercanías train station is there. If you arrive in the other terminals, there is an airport bus that runs constantly and will get you to T4 in 15 minutes max.

As others have said, one nice thing about getting on the Cercanías train at the airport is that there is a RENFE office there too.

FWIW - Taxis from Barajas (Madrid) airport charge a flat starting rate of 20 Euros. Peregrina 2000 suggestion is cheaper and most possibly faster.:eek:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
FWIW - Taxis from Barajas (Madrid) airport charge a flat starting rate of 20 Euros. Peregrina 2000 suggestion is cheaper and most possibly faster.:eek:
Flat fee starting at ...? Is that the same as no flat fee?

Again, my question: why needing a taxi to get from Barajas to a train station....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you, everyone, for your advice. I just purchased tickets on ALSA bus from the airport to Pamplona.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back