• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cost of walk fro St Pierre to Santiago

AndrewRBSimpson

Time of past OR future Camino
Future - St. Pied du Pont to Santiago
IMG_20190626_183615.jpg
What does it approximately cost to walk from St. Pierre du Pont to Santiago and how long does it take?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Where is St Pierre du Pont? Do you mean the St Pierre in Normandy, or the Pont St Pierre in Toulouse?

No matter where you start, the cost will vary wildly, depending on whether you stay in hotels or dormitories, eat off the menu or cook for yourself. There are lots of threads on costs if you use the search function.

Where is St Pierre du Pont? Do you mean the St Pierre in Normandy, or the Pont St Pierre in Toulouse?

No matter where you start, the cost will vary wildly, depending on whether you stay in hotels or dormitories, eat off the menu or cook for yourself. There are lots of threads on costs if you use the search function.

I guess this new member means Saint -Jean- Pied -De -Port.

Hi @AndrewRBSimpson : welcome here.
Do take your time to browse through this informative forum. You will find a wealth of information.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
View attachment 64697View attachment 64697
What does it approximately cost to walk from St. Pierre du Pont to Santiago and how long does it take?

Hi. Nice selfies.
You mean St. Jean Pied de Port I think?

It varies.
Where will you fly in from?
Will you stay in albergues or private lodging?
Will you picnic or eat in restaurants?
Will you carry your pack or book transport?
How many days will you walk?
Lots of questions before yours can be answered. :)

Here is a blog post I did on the topic:

Hello fellow pilgrim,

that depends.
- when you will travel
- how do you travel
- where you will lodge
- meals as self-catering, pilgrims menu or "à la carte"

I did walk in July and had expenses for the whole camino just around 940€.
Transportation: 160€ for the flight to Biarritz, 180€ for the flight back from Porto, 12€ for the train from Bayonne to SJPdP, 3,20€ for the bus towards Leon, 39€ for the bus from SdC to Porto.
A mix of commercial, Donativo and municipal Albergues. A mix of no meal, self cooked and pilgrims menu.
No Hotel or Hostel.

In fact: you can do it for around 20€ per day. I did walk 27days and did it for around 17€ per day.
If you are very fast and have trained to walk more than 50km per day in rough terrain you can do it in 16-17days. If you want to enjoy your Camino, walk your pace and it will be anything from 20 to 60 days.

Transportation and accomodation are the two biggest parts of the total amount.
All in all it was cheaper than I first thought it would be.

If you tend to have more luxurious accomodations and want to taste the different local offerings in Restaurants you have to be aware that you are going to spend 50-100€ and more per day.

Hope that helps.

Hi @AndrewRBSimpson, welcome to the forum. I see from your profile that you're living in Biarritz so I guess travel costs aren't so much of a factor. As others have posted already there are some excellent threads on the "cost of a Camino" and "Budgets" and the like if you do a little searching. That said, staying in Albergues, eating Pilgrim menus or better Menus del Dias, drinking moderately and walking all the way - many manage on not much more than €30/day. €50 might allow for an upgrade in accommodation and diet. After that its up to you. I met a couple last year on a €5000 tour. They seemed happy.

How long? The sacred St Brierley's guide recommends 34 days as I recall. 30 to 35 days for the reasonably fit and barring accidents. A little more if you want to do some sight-seeing or just chill for a bit or, may the gods forbid, need to sit out an injury.

As others have said: "it depends".

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I spent @ $35.00 euro a day in 2017. This does not include any air fare, train, bus, transportation. The 35 euro did include Albergue, food and drink. I stayed a private Albergues most days so I would say you could go cheaper, but of course you could spend much more if you are of mind.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The best advice is from Annie, Roland and Tinker. You have to decide how you want to walk. Like Roland I do it pretty cheaply a day but not as little as Roland. I am more in the neighborhood of about 25E a day. I have met people who average well over 100 euros a day. If you want to stay in donativos as much as possible you and never eat out you can easily do it for 15 Euros or so if there is a donative or a muni where you sleep. If you want the Parador well that may add a few euros to your bill.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back