• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cost per person or per room in hotels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrin

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2019)
Hello!
Newly registered after spending much time reading so many helpful threads here. My partner and I are planing on walking the Camino Frances from SJPP next September, and I have a question about hostel/hotel/pensione prices. I have seen many people share that they run around 30-50 euro a night. After looking a little more I am slightly confused, is that price per person, or is that for the room? Meaning, will a 30 euro hotel cost us 30 euro total or 60 euro total? We are used to sharing a very small bed, so sharing a traditional "single" bed is no problem. We are planning on staying in albergues as well, but are just trying to work out a budget assuming we will probably be spending some nights in hotels/hostels too. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Typically, the room prices in hostales or hotels are per room, not person. So a room quoted at 30 Euros would be 30 for either 1 person or 2. In shared accommodation where you book a bed, it is priced per person. I don't know about sharing a single bed and whether they would charge you for 2. You are using the hot water, etc, as 2 people, so I'd expect them to charge for 2.

I have never seen anyone share a bed in the hostels (albergues). In the albergues you pay for a bed in a shared room with lots of people (4-100). There are some albergues that have private rooms, but never stayed in any. I asked once for a private room in Astorga and was told that they are reserved for old people-- and that I was not old enough. (So that made me happy. :) )

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello!
Newly registered after spending much time reading so many helpful threads here. My partner and I are planing on walking the Camino Frances from SJPP next September, and I have a question about hostel/hotel/pensione prices. I have seen many people share that they run around 30-50 euro a night. After looking a little more I am slightly confused, is that price per person, or is that for the room? Meaning, will a 30 euro hotel cost us 30 euro total or 60 euro total? We are used to sharing a very small bed, so sharing a traditional "single" bed is no problem. We are planning on staying in albergues as well, but are just trying to work out a budget assuming we will probably be spending some nights in hotels/hostels too. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi @Carrin and welcome to the Forum! As @C clearly said, rooms in hotels/hostales/pensiones (and private rooms in albergues) are generally always priced per room and not per person. However, I have also seen a price given as a supplement for an "extra person", say if they put in an extra bed in a double room. I would expect that some places would do likewise if two people wanted to share what is priced as a single room. Not always, but I would expect that might happen. You may also find that some places will not allow two to share a single room, and in fact the single beds are quite narrow - much narrower than in hotels in some other countries - I can't imagine being able to sleep two in most of the ones I saw! In fact, double rooms (with two twin beds more common than a double) are by far the most common - you will find that many places don't even have a single room on offer.

Cost-wise, 30-40 Euro is a common price for a double room, sometimes with different prices depending on whether you want your own bathroom (some places have all their rooms with bath, others have some or all with shared bathrooms). But there is a great range - we paid as low as 25 Euro for a double with private bath and as high as.... well, that was for a treat!

Hope that helps!

Just so you know, the prices go up the closer you get to the walking time.
For instance, I booked a room at San Martin Pinario for June.
I booked it several months ago and paid €45.
Yesterday, that exact same room was going for over €300.

So if you're going to book for September, I'd be doing it now.

Usually rooms are a bit more for 2 people. So a room might be €35 for one person and €40 for 2.

Also an "individual" is a one-person room.
A "twin" room usually has two beds.
A "doble" can have either one bed or two.
A "matrimonial" is what I'd call a double bed for 2 people.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi @Carrin and welcome to the Forum! As @C clearly said, rooms in hotels/hostales/pensiones (and private rooms in albergues) are generally always priced per room and not per person. However, I have also seen a price given as a supplement for an "extra person", say if they put in an extra bed in a double room. I would expect that some places would do likewise if two people wanted to share what is priced as a single room. Not always, but I would expect that might happen. You may also find that some places will not allow two to share a single room, and in fact the single beds are quite narrow - much narrower than in hotels in some other countries - I can't imagine being able to sleep two in most of the ones I saw! In fact, double rooms (with two twin beds more common than a double) are by far the most common - you will find that many places don't even have a single room on offer.

Cost-wise, 30-40 Euro is a common price for a double room, sometimes with different prices depending on whether you want your own bathroom (some places have all their rooms with bath, others have some or all with shared bathrooms). But there is a great range - we paid as low as 25 Euro for a double with private bath and as high as.... well, that was for a treat!

Hope that helps!

That's very helpful, thank you!

Just so you know, the prices go up the closer you get to the walking time.
For instance, I booked a room at San Martin Pinario for June.
I booked it several months ago and paid €45.
Yesterday, that exact same room was going for over €300.

So if you're going to book for September, I'd be doing it now.

Usually rooms are a bit more for 2 people. So a room might be €35 for one person and €40 for 2.

Good to know! :eek:

Also an "individual" is a one-person room.
A "twin" room usually has two beds.
A "doble" can have either one bed or two.
A "matrimonial" is what I'd call a double bed for 2 people.

Thanks! I've found terminology to vary a good bit regarding hotels in different places I have traveled to, so it helps to have a quick run down on what things mean on the Camino!

Hope that helps!
Hi, is there a list of recommended HOTELS ON THE fRENCH WALK TO sANTIAGO?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

@Carlos Melo I'm not aware of a list of recommended hotels (as opposed to albergues). You will find many of the hotels along the Camino Frances are listed on Booking.com or similar sites - and there are several guide books (eg Brierley's, and the French Miam Miam Dodo) which list all types of accommodation including hotels, pensiones, casas rurales etc as well as albergues.

I hope that helps.

I'm not aware of any such list. Some people have written about individual pensions or casas rurales in various threads in the forums. And, of course, there are a few paradors along the way, the most notable probably being the one in Santiago de Compostela.

From my own experience, we stayed in a hotel for our rest day in Burgos. Right across from the cathedral is a hotel and restaurant Meson del Cid. I can't remember what the cost was. Not albergue cheap but not super expensive and for an extra 10 euros, we got a room with the most beautiful view of the cathedral. Well worth it.

Gronze.com has a number of places to stay for most locations/stages. Apps such as the Wise Pilgrim will also have this too. The reviews will be from walkers so very helpful. Booking.com is very useful but not every small place is on there.
I would recommend at least giving the alburges a try. You would be surprised at how many people (like me) come to prefer them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.