• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cost

I am wondering what a ballpark figure to save up would be? I live in Houston and want to fly from here to Biarritz and do the Frances. I figure I have to pay bills, et al. while away, plus airfare, and though I want to walk as a real peregrino, I still want spending money in case of emergency.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My husband and I just walked from Leon to Santiago to Fisterre and Muxia in Sept. We spent as few as 30 euro a day for the two of us and as many as 75 euro. The big days were if we checked into a hotel. Yes, we did that a couple of times. The most expensive part was the plane ticket (from the east coast)and train to Leon from Madrid.
Shopping at the markets saves bunches of money over eating out all the time. A dinner will run 10 euro, but should be plenty to eat. For as little as 5 euro my husband and I could buy a great lunch at the market and just picnic. And we could eat breakfast for about 2 euro...bread and yogurt. We did buy coffee at the cafe bars, but it is also nice to buy and then feel it is fine to use the bathroom as well.
I'm sure others will be able to help out too.

Thank you for the information. My Camino Francais trip is scheduled for mid June 2013. I plan on purchasing my ticket in the next month. I will be leaving from Raleigh, NC. Did you fly into France Spain?

Mary Margaret

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Check skyscanner for flights. Put in your city/state and choose "everywhere" as the destination with the month you want to fly and it will give you the cheapest option to get to europe. Then, you can train/plane to your starting point. Right now I am seeking return flights for about $1200.

As far as once you get on the ground, I think €30/ day is a good estimate but more if you want to eat out every meal, stay in hotels or use the backpack taxis. This doesn't include transport to your starting point or return from Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back