• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cost

Caminopilgrim

In recent books I have read on the Camino, the authors generally say that their daily expenses range from €30-€60 each day. This seems a little bit steep! Is this accurate?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In recent books I have read on the Camino, the authors generally say that their daily expenses range from €30-€60 each day. This seems a little bit steep! Is this accurate?
Sounds about right to me. If you are staying in albergues you can expect to pay anything from about 5 euro up to 12 euro or so for a bed. I normally aim for one substantial meal each day and a menu del dia or menu peregrino is likely to cost somewhere around 10 euro. Perhaps 3 euro or so for coffee and a pastry at breakfast. A light snack for the second meal, two or three coffees at 1 euro or so each, a beer or two. Easily 30 euro per day. If you have more expensive tastes in food or drink or prefer to stay in private rooms then it is not at all unlikely that your daily costs will be 60 euros or more.

PS. It is possible to walk the Caminos for less than 30 euros per day if you do not eat in bars or restaurants. You could buy your food and drink from supermarkets instead. You could aim to stay only in the cheapest albergues - though you may find others have been before you and taken all the beds. But if you choose to travel this way you may miss out on the dinner table conversations with fellow pilgrims or the very simple pleasure of relaxing at a shady bar table and watching the world pass by. If you must travel cheaply it can be done. Most people prefer some modest comforts though.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what your experience travelling in Europe, or anywhere else, is that led you to expect something less.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes,it will be in that price range.

What do you think it will cost??

Wish you well,Peter.

My husband and I completed the Camino Francess twice a number of years ago. If I remember correctly, it was very inexpensive!
It still is! Similar walks elsewhere in Europe are double that cost if not more. Walking St Olavs Way in Norway, 85-90 euro a day was routine, and as a solo walker there were days that well exceeded that. I am expecting that prices will have risen by the time I do the St Olavsleden next year.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, the 30e is average. If this is unexpensive or not, it depends on the condition of your national currency.:(:eek: You can do it for less with a lot of planning; or with much more if you like.
There have been other threads about costs; use the "search" function,
I'd only add that there is a noticeably "corridor inflation" between Sarria and Santiago. You just walk away two blocks from the Camino and prices return to "normal".

Last edited:
I also think it will depend on which Camino and during what stretches. We found that that on the CF from SJPDP to Pamplona and then from Sarria to Santiago to be the most expensive stretches with costs higher than in the Meseta or in some of the other stretches. We always tried to stay off the stages. I had thought we would spend 100 Euro per day as a couple and many days I found it difficult to spend 50 Euros a day because there just was not much to spend money on. Beds in the beginning and end of the journey were higher and so were meals.

Yup, the numbers are correct. 30€ if stayijg in albergues and eating three meals a day in bars/restaurants. More if you stay solo in pensiones, perhaps a bit less if you don't buy drinks, give little in donativos and stick to making pasta and tomato sauce at night.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"Corridor inflation" - I like the term. and I can confirm that it exists in other parts of the world (not only within the tourist industry) ... most ordinary people don't feel the urge to go shop around for bargains ... they think it's a waste of time ... or maybe they're just too tired at the end of the day?

And it’s cheaper as a couple (pension price halved). Also it depends on the route you walk. Some of the ‘quieter’ caminos that have less infrastructure have more private albergues and pensions.
A base rate I use is around 35-45eu (always eating locally) for caminos other than CF.

In recent books I have read on the Camino, the authors generally say that their daily expenses d the simple life from €30-€60 each day. This seems a little bit steep! Is this accurate?
I spent about 49 euros a day mixing in a few hotels and albergues.. was totally satisfied. The municipals were the most fun and you get to meet so many people. Pilgrim meals a little grim toward the end but good! I loved the simple life

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
most ordinary people don't feel the urge to go shop around for bargains ... they think it's a waste of time ... or maybe they're just too tired at the end of the day?

Really. I wonder how you know these things. I go on the Camino for a number of reasons, but so far it has never been to collect statistical data about other pilgrim's habits, and I am never inquisitive enough to ask them what they think about shopping. Generally I like the people I meet well enough as they are without having to think about whether they are in this container or in that container.

..........You just walk away two blocks from the Camino and prices return to "normal".
I won't confirm that prices two blocks off the Camino return to "normal" because I really wasn't paying attention. We were so cold, wet and tired that we walked two blocks off the Camino a couple of hours short of Santiago just to find someplace with inside seating available so we could rest, have a meal and get warm. What I can tell you is that we received probably the warmest welcome that we got anywhere along the Camino. We felt there was no rush to serve us to get on to the next patron, and the wait staff had time to engage in conversation. It was a wonderful 'slow time' amid the throngs heading into Santiago that last day. The menu was far more varied than we had become used to; if the prices were "normal" then so much the better.:)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back