• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

costal route

eangach

Time of past OR future Camino
camino portoguese
hi all, i'm starting my walk from Oporto to Santiago next week. i've been told to get a metro out of the city and start from the other side of a certain bridge and start the costal route from there.
does anyone know of a good place to spend a night in Oporto or have info re places to stay on the costal route?

eangach

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buenos dias, Eangach. The 27 kms from Porto to Vilarinho is a killer. For a superb start, one might consider starting at the Cathedral in Porto and hiking 5 kms along the water front (a World Heritage Site) to the Pousadas de Juventude (excellent). The following day (or two days) continue up the coast to Matashinos & beyond until you reach Vila do Conde. There are pensiones between Matashinos & Vila do Conde. Try a Google search,or ask at the Tourist Office by the Cathedral.

Cheers,

I would also hate to miss the part from the Cathedral along the waterfront to the coast. There is a youth hostel overlooking the river about 5 km from the Cathedral. The next day I would walk 20 km approx to Vila do Condo. I am not going until the Fall of 2014 but I have the first day worked out...lol

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am planning on starting out in Porto on Nov 6th and like the idea of walking from the cathedral along the waterfront, rather than taking a bus. It would be nice to walk a little bit farther than 5km the first day though. Are there other good placing stay farther along?

Hi, last year I stayed at the Gallery Hostel in Porto and walked 8 kms alongside the river to Matasinhos. It was a nice walk. I then got the bus (No. 500) back to Porto, getting off at the stop by the river below the Gallery Hostel. The next morning I got the No. 500 bus at the stop I got off the day before, to Matasinhos, where I got on the day before. Walked over the lifting bridge, and followed the yellow arrows all the way to Vila do Conde, 22 kms. In Vila do Conde I stayed at Estalagem do Brasao, 38.70 euros for a single in a twin-bed room with bath.

In Matosinhas we stayed in hostal Central. A good place just near the boardwalk coming from Porto and nearby the bridge where starts the caminho part two to Santiago. The hostal offers breakfast included.

If you follow the coast to Vila do Conde and you follow the yellow arrows ! At the end you'll walk trough a kind of nature landscape. following that and arriving the first suburbs of Vila do Conde you will find a camping site.
We stayed there for one night in a nice and comfortable small summerhouse. a shop for first needs as food and drinks is available. From there it is a 3 kilometers walk to the bridge over the river in Vila do Conde From there it is a good 14 kilometers walk to São Pedro de Rates where you will find an albergue ( oposite rhe road at a groceryshop they keep the key of the albergue and have a nice bicoloured stamp on your credential :)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed at hotel Internacional Porto, very good location near points of interest. Took Trinidade metro to Matosinhos. Walk along the sea included boardwalks, sand and some pavement. Stayed at Hotel Estalagem do Brazao in Vila do Conde, 39 euros for very nice room w/ bath, including breakfast.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back