• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cotton Shirts for the Coastal Portugues Camino?

ourgirl

So I've been reading about the need for merino shirts or quick-wicking shirts for caminos—as well as long sleeve shirts. I understand cotton is not a desired material—it dries slow, retains odors...but... I'm not sure merino or rayon blends are a good idea for a Coastal Camino. I work in a vineyard and in the summer, it's def loose, light colored cotton (no buttons!) that's preferred.

Any thoughts from those who have walked a coastal camino? Am I cool in choosing loose, light colored cotton?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@ourgirl. I can only speak for myself.. In my backpack are the modern fast drying and light fabric hemds and trousers and socks.
Three hemds. One wearing and two in the back.we wash everyday.. If something is not dry we hang it outside the backpack during the daywalk
We take a piece of rope with us and some pegs to use in the hostals where we sleep to dry the cloths during the night. Bom caminho

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So I've been reading about the need for merino shirts or quick-wicking shirts for caminos—as well as long sleeve shirts. I understand cotton is not a desired material—it dries slow, retains odors...but... I'm not sure merino or rayon blends are a good idea for a Coastal Camino. I work in a vineyard and in the summer, it's def loose, light colored cotton (no buttons!) that's preferred.

Any thoughts from those who have walked a coastal camino? Am I cool in choosing loose, light colored cotton?
it's cotton for me. no problems so far drying or smelling :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
it's cotton for me. no problems so far drying or smelling :)
Hmm.... that's why I avoid places like albergues....I still smell when reading your comment, that guy in the Betanzos albergue last year who , I guess , did not wash himself and his cloths for about a week. No thank you !:mad:

I've walked and cycled in July and August and even then drying stuff can be a challenge.
You need warmth and circulating air. If you don't get that because after washing its late in the afternoon and / or you are hanging stuff inside then you spend the day carrying damp clothes on your backpack hoping they dry.
On foot it might be ok, but on a bike they never get properly clean as you a very likely to get dust on them.

My advice is go for fast drying anything to minimize this problem.

Another benefit is less clammy uncomfortable clothes if you sweat alot. In summer, even if you don't, your back will with a backpack on.

Above all this is comfort, if cotton is the only thing that will do, then go ahead. If you haven't tried the alternatives, try them, they are popular for a reason.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hmm.... that's why I avoid places like albergues....I still smell when reading your comment, that guy in the Betanzos albergue last year who , I guess , did not wash himself and his cloths for about a week. No thank you !:mad:
If you don't bathe, it doesnt matter what you're wearing

Cotton kills!
If you are in a situation...very cold, walking into a sweat...your body cannot dry the cotton...instead, your body begins to lose body heat. If you are in 75 degree heat and you sweat up your cotton shirt and there is a breeze...same result...you lose body heat. No matter what you put on over the cotton...unless you strip down and remove the shirt...replacing it with quickdri shirt...you will not regain body heat.
This is not a "well it's your Camino" do what you want. It's both comfort and survival. If you must have cotton...consider either 70% polypropylene 30% cotton or at most 50/50.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used Ex Officio shirts that were 80% polyester/20% cotton. I bought one shirt from their sale rack as a test and it almost immediately turned into my favorite walking shirt so I went back and bought a second. They worked great - light weight, quick dry, and packable.

Marino wool base layer, its magical. Expensive but you won't regret it. Marino is the best for wicking moisture and not smelling, even after a few days.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Marino wool base layer, its magical. Expensive but you won't regret it. Marino is the best for wicking moisture and not smelling, even after a few days.
Chris, you and others have touted the Merino wool as top flight for physical activities, especially while on Camino.
I not only push light weight packs, I push inexpensive.
But now, I will explore Merino.
Why you may ask. Here's my thought.
When I am through walking for the day I wash my clothes, put on the extra poly pro shirt and hit the town. Often it's a bit chilly so I add my windbreaker.
If I had the Merino wool option, I may not need the jacket and I will look really stylish and smart.
See AL, you can teach an old dog new tricks

Chris, you and others have touted the Merino wool as top flight for physical activities, especially while on Camino.
I not only push light weight packs, I push inexpensive.
But now, I will explore Merino.
Why you may ask. Here's my thought.
When I am through walking for the day I wash my clothes, put on the extra poly pro shirt and hit the town. Often it's a bit chilly so I add my windbreaker.
If I had the Merino wool option, I may not need the jacket and I will look really stylish and smart.
See AL, you can teach an old dog new tricks
Hope it is not freezing when you hit the town,walking the "catwalk "Arn :) or is it "the Merino sheep"walk ? :p

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Light, loose, and fast drying. I walked the Camino Portugues two summers ago. It was HOT! We wet our shirts and hats at every chance, and let the evaporation cool us. I thought it would have been good to have a gauze sari to drape over my head and shoulders for shade...

I was thinking (yes know AL: Arn and thinking is an oxymoron ), hey, I think I have a Marino wool T-shirt in my summer gear I took to Calif two years ago.
Out to the barn, into the duffel bag...out with the gear. Birkenstock's, a gift I wore one week. USC ball caps and, em moth eaten polo...YES..,my Marino (torn, used as a nest for mice). Better pack better next time. Drat!

Light, loose, and fast drying. I walked the Camino Portugues two summers ago. It was HOT! We wet our shirts and hats at every chance, and let the evaporation cool us. I thought it would have been good to have a gauze sari to drape over my head and shoulders for shade...

Ok, so that's what I was thinking, very lightweight, light color, 3/4 or long sleeve. I'll look into cotton blends. Maybe that's the way to go. I would also have a jacket with me to retain body heat. I'm the type that generates body heat pretty easy.

I see you walked the Portugues Camino. Can u tell me if there is plenty of cheap accommodation and did you walk the same number of days as in John Brierleys guide

I see you walked the Portugues Camino. Can u tell me if there is plenty of cheap accommodation and did you walk the same number of days as in John Brierleys guide
Depends on where you will start ! Lisbon..Porto..Valença de Minho/Tui ?
From Lisbon to Porto hostals and privat albergues cost you per night about 18€.
Do you start in Tuí Spain there are xunta albergues which cost you 6€ per night.
We walked all stages in John Brierleys guide from Lisbon with some restdays in Coimbra, Porto and Barcelos in total 32 days .with a max of 20 kms a day

Bom caminho

I am gravitating more and more these days to very light cotton (cotton voile if I can get it) tops which are loose. I tend to get very hot when I walk anyway and find that the synthetic fabrics (good though they may be) tend to be too hot and clingy for me. I live in Western Australia and this has been a pretty hot summer (still experiencing hot days even though it is now Autumn) and I've worn my cotton tops exclusively for my walks each day..)..

This will be my first camino but I have done shorter trek (for a week) in the Himalayas and Patagonia. I have never used anything but cotton shirts/clothes and have never had problems with smells. Yes it might take some time to dry but maybe that is a sign to plan in an exta restday? ;)

Patagonia silk weight T-shirts are great. They come in Merino and Capiline. The Camino is not an exercise in survival, but whenever I think of cotton clothing in the context of hiking I recall the phrase "cotton kills".

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Depends on where you will start ! Lisbon..Porto..Valença de Minho/Tui ?
From Lisbon to Porto hostals and privat albergues cost you per night about 18€.
Do you start in Tuí Spain there are xunta albergues which cost you 6€ per night.
We walked all stages in John Brierleys guide from Lisbon with some restdays in Coimbra, Porto and Barcelos in total 32 days .with a max of 20 kms a day

Bom caminho

Just researched and booked for May:
Porto: private hostel bunk beds, $15-17 a night.
Matinsohos: private hotel (didn't see any hostels) twin room, $46 a night

We're headed up the Portuguese coast, not inland. I was going to not book following night stays, but I'm starting to rethink that. There are not many inexpensive choices in Villa do Conde and Povoa de Varzim and Booking.com is showing them 60% booked. While I understand that may be a marketing ploy, I do think there might be some merit in booking ahead, since these are coastal towns and may fill-up if the weather is good. I might book until Caminha/A Guarda. I'm careful to make sure I'm choosing refundable bookings, so we can change our mind a day ahead.

We're headed up the Portuguese coast, not inland. I was going to not book following night stays, but I'm starting to rethink that. There are not many inexpensive choices in Villa do Conde and Povoa de Varzim and Booking.com is showing them 60% booked. While I understand that may be a marketing ploy, I do think there might be some merit in booking ahead, since these are coastal towns and may fill-up if the weather is good. I might book until Caminha/A Guarda. I'm careful to make sure I'm choosing refundable bookings, so we can change our mind a day ahead.

In Matosinhos it is not called a hostal I see now but a pensão ! We stayed there a couple of days . it was great.
http://www.pensaocentral.net/

The booking.com is allways lying about the availability. That's why I don't book via them.on the Porto to Caminha / a Guarda leg are several albergues in case you could not find any place.
There is also the AIRBNB app and on the app I saw privat rooms for rent in the area.
And I am curious about Ivar's app which shows the places around where you are (I hope also in Portugal :) )

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I've booked a hostel in Matosinhos called 'Oportocean'. Bunk bed €18 a night! So there is at least one hostel in Matosinhos!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used Ex Officio shirts that were 80% polyester/20% cotton. I bought one shirt from their sale rack as a test and it almost immediately turned into my favorite walking shirt so I went back and bought a second. They worked great - light weight, quick dry, and packable.

Do you know which 'model' of shirt they were? I've looked up al the ex officio shirts at my local store and they are either nylon or polyester/nylon.

This is the one piece of gear I am really struggling with. On my training walks over the last year I have been wearing cotton polo shirts from work. They are really comfortable but quite heavy and only short sleeved. So I have been trialling lightweight long sleeved with no success.

The 'tech' nylon based lightweight fabrics are like wearing a plastic bag, so I gave up on those.

Last week I bought a Marino LS Icebreaker to try. It was better. But very rough to the touch and still very hot to wear.

Maybe......I'll just go with lightweight cotton. But if I can find your Ex Officio Poly/Cotton mix I'll certainly give it a try.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Cotton kills. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back