• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Could I donate an "official" stamp to a monastery/ church/ cloister which doesn't have one but is on a signed route?

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2023
Following on from my distance certificate question, this is also something I've been wondering about.

I live close to a monastery on an official Jakobsweg (German route to the Camino) route. Coincidentally I work a few hundred meeters from a cloister/ nunnery 20km further along the official signposted route (I can walk to work along the Jakobsweg/ Camino! 😯 and actually have done twice but it's a bit impractical to combine with actually working 😆).

Neither of these places have a pilgrim stamp, and neither does the other big church on the "stage" even though it has a notice board up with the route marked.

Does anyone know whether a random person (me) can somehow donate a stamp? I guess I could try to find public relations type people at the monastery/ cloister and suggest it, but I'd anticipate that being a torturous way of getting them to vaguely start considering the possibility of maybe suggesting talking about tabling a motion to set up a working group to discuss the idea... 😆

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did ask at the monastery (in the gift shop 🤣 which was the only staffed building - I know there are monks but I've never seen them except on the street when driving past). The volunteer working in the gift shop had never heard of the Jakobsweg and suggested I contact the administration office, but they weren't open and have very limited office hours, so I didn't pursue it.

I might have more luck at the cloister as they have an information office - I've only asked whether they have a stamp but not whether they might get one... They run a not for profit foundation with public interaction so might be more receptive... I guess I'll try again there...

Thank you for taking the time to reply ☺️

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm a little bit confused by the use of the term "pilgrim stamp". There are very few buisnesses that don't have a stamp - although it will probably only bear company name, address, tax numbers etc. I'd be very surprised if the shop doesn't have one, for example. It may just be a simple case of explaining to the shop workers what a Pilgrim might be looking for.

I had a brainwave the evening before I started my Camino in the Netherlands and popped out to a local monastery (not on any routes as far as I know). Again, it was the shop, and like you the first monk knew nothing of what I was looking for but a younger monk overheard, became very animated and gave me a stamp. I can't check now, but it was the "normal" stamp they used for receipts etc.

In France, I turned up at another Monastery (not on any route as far as I know) and after dealing with a bewildered shop assistant I was rescued by another incredibly enthusiastic monk. Again, the stamp used normally in the shop.

It may just be a simple case of communicating to the shop staff what would be appreciated.

If, however, you are looking at providing a stamp then that may be more complicated.

In any case, direct communication with the Monastery administration is required.

I’ve donated a stamp to a stop on the Camino. You need to establish just a few things: is it ON the Camino, do they wish to have/use one, and what does it look like. Then you simply produce art to a printer who makes self-inking stamps. It can be so simple as their name, the name of the town, and a line drawing of a shell.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took it upon myself to design a simple sello, had it made (cost me about €20) and gave it to an establishment on a camino path a few years ago. It was a surprise but was well received! Nothing to stop you doing the same and just giving it to them, explaining what it is and it's purpose.

Postal mail generally works quite well for religious institutions. Be sure to include an email address as well as a postal address. The head of a monastery is an Abbott (das Abt) or Prior; of a nunnery is Abbess (die Abterin?) or Prioress. Communications to a parish church might be addressed to Administrator or Rector. I'm sure someone with German experience can perhaps fill in the details for you here.
I would include a sample stamp impression from somewhere else, or maybe a photocopy of a partially-filled-in credential page, to help with communicating your idea.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm a little bit confused by the use of the term "pilgrim stamp". There are very few buisnesses that don't have a stamp - although it will probably only bear company name, address, tax numbers etc. I'd be very surprised if the shop doesn't have one, for example. It may just be a simple case of explaining to the shop workers what a Pilgrim might be looking for.

I had a brainwave the evening before I started my Camino in the Netherlands and popped out to a local monastery (not on any routes as far as I know). Again, it was the shop, and like you the first monk knew nothing of what I was looking for but a younger monk overheard, became very animated and gave me a stamp. I can't check now, but it was the "normal" stamp they used for receipts etc.

In France, I turned up at another Monastery (not on any route as far as I know) and after dealing with a bewildered shop assistant I was rescued by another incredibly enthusiastic monk. Again, the stamp used normally in the shop.

It may just be a simple case of communicating to the shop staff what would be appreciated.

If, however, you are looking at providing a stamp then that may be more complicated.

In any case, direct communication with the Monastery administration is required.
Asking for a stamp from the business is a good idea. On another thread a poster has also discussed this idea and said that unfortunately businesses don't usually have a stamp on hand in the customer facing part of their business in Germany (rather it's in administrative offices which often are harder to access due to opening hours) but it's definitely worth asking for a stamp which will show that I've been at the location, without asking unnecessarily specifically for a Jakobsweg or Pilger stamp.

I’ve donated a stamp to a stop on the Camino. You need to establish just a few things: is it ON the Camino, do they wish to have/use one, and what does it look like. Then you simply produce art to a printer who makes self-inking stamps. It can be so simple as their name, the name of the town, and a line drawing of a shell.
Thank you - it's what it should look like that I can imagine being especially ling winded to establish, but it's really good to hear you've managed it. I think I might well propose something to the cloister (for various reasons I think they might be the most likely to be interested).

What, if anything, needs to be "official"? Don't random people occasionally set up tables and provide stamps to pilgrims along the CF in Spain? @David Tallan has a stamp! It sounds like some awareness and education is what is needed, to provoke interest.
I see what you mean, but setting up a table isn't really viable so the stamp would need to be left out in a publicly accessible location like the church porch, or held in the gift shop of the monastery or the information office at the cloister, so they'd have to be "on board". Both places and the church between them on the route have signage for the Jakobsweg (Camino) outside but nothing else.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I took it upon myself to design a simple sello, had it made (cost me about €20) and gave it to an establishment on a camino path a few years ago. It was a surprise but was well received! Nothing to stop you doing the same and just giving it to them, explaining what it is and it's purpose.
This is how I'd like it to work 😃 I guess for the sake of €20 I could just do it...

Postal mail generally works quite well for religious institutions. Be sure to include an email address as well as a postal address. The head of a monastery is an Abbott (das Abt) or Prior; of a nunnery is Abbess (die Abterin?) or Prioress. Communications to a parish church might be addressed to Administrator or Rector. I'm sure someone with German experience can perhaps fill in the details for you here.
I would include a sample stamp impression from somewhere else, or maybe a photocopy of a partially-filled-in credential page, to help with communicating your idea.
Thanks Kits. My German is okay (I work in an exclusively German environment) and I have a tangential connection to the cloister and access to names and addresses of the higher ranking nuns (they're publicly available because they run a charitable foundation) so I think I might try that, along with possibly actually making a stamp up and offering them it...

I see what you mean, but setting up a table isn't really viable
No, that was to illustrate that there is no official protocol that you need to follow. Just try to convince someone at the monastery that it would be a nice idea to have a stamp available, wherever seems convenient, and then offer to donate one.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No, that was to illustrate that there is no official protocol that you need to follow. Just try to convince someone at the monastery that it would be a nice idea to have a stamp available, wherever seems convenient, and then offer to donate one.
Ah yes! I think the idea of writing a letter suggesting this is a good one (and then I can use the same letter and send it to all three near by likely options, or at least the monastery and cloister).

Following on from my distance certificate question, this is also something I've been wondering about.

I live close to a monastery on an official Jakobsweg (German route to the Camino) route. Coincidentally I work a few hundred meeters from a cloister/ nunnery 20km further along the official signposted route (I can walk to work along the Jakobsweg/ Camino! 😯 and actually have done twice but it's a bit impractical to combine with actually working 😆).

Neither of these places have a pilgrim stamp, and neither does the other big church on the "stage" even though it has a notice board up with the route marked.

Does anyone know whether a random person (me) can somehow donate a stamp? I guess I could try to find public relations type people at the monastery/ cloister and suggest it, but I'd anticipate that being a torturous way of getting them to vaguely start considering the possibility of maybe suggesting talking about tabling a motion to set up a working group to discuss the idea... 😆
I don't think there are any requirements for a stamp to be "official". As was mentioned, all sorts of places seem to have them (including individuals who set themselves up by the side of the road). Most, I think, make them themselves (or have them made) but I don't see why one couldn't be donated and I'm not seeing how the good folk at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago would know or care how they got the stamp.

All of which to say: go ahead and offer, if you'd like. But I would offer and hear the reply before you go to the trouble and/or expense of having it made.

Disclaimer: All this from someone with his personal stamp he takes on Caminos. :)

This is how I'd like it to work 😃 I guess for the sake of €20 I could just do it...
I mean no disrespect and I don't want to appear negative and there's every possibility that I'm a bit odd but......

To present a stamp that you commissioned to a religious order with (presumably) a long history, its own way of doing things going back how long? could be seen as pushy at best and offensive at worst.

Just on this....
I'd anticipate that being a torturous way of getting them to vaguely start considering the possibility of maybe suggesting talking about tabling a motion to set up a working group to discuss the idea...
A Camino can be long enough and tough enough without making it even more difficult in our heads.
You've been advised by an employee to contact the administration office. It strikes me that that should be your very first step. Once communication has started then you'll be in a much better place to judge the reaction and arrive at a solution.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't think there are any requirements for a stamp to be "official". As was mentioned, all sorts of places seem to have them (including individuals who set themselves up by the side of the road). Most, I think, make them themselves (or have them made) but I don't see why one couldn't be donated and I'm not seeing how the good folk at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago would know or care how they got the stamp.

All of which to say: go ahead and offer, if you'd like. But I would offer and hear the reply before you go to the trouble and/or expense of having it made.

Disclaimer: All this from someone with his personal stamp he takes on Caminos. :)
yep you're probably right

I mean no disrespect and I don't want to appear negative and there's every possibility that I'm a bit odd but......

To present a stamp that you commissioned to a religious order with (presumably) a long history, its own way of doing things going back how long? could be seen as pushy at best and offensive at worst.

Just on this....

A Camino can be long enough and tough enough without making it even more difficult in our heads.
You've been advised by an employee to contact the administration office. It strikes me that that should be your very first step. Once communication has started then you'll be in a much better place to judge the reaction and arrive at a solution.
Yep you're probably right, it's just pretty awkward to go in or telephone as they're only open mid morning on a couple of week days when I'm always at work (not the kind of job where I can take time out to make private calls). I'd better just write the letter as has been suggested!

The cloister should be easier to approach as I can ask again in the information office, which has longer operating hours - last time I only asked whether they had a Jakobsweg stamp and didn't persue it with any other questions when they said no.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back