• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

could I get, at a farmacia...

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015 (CF, 100 miles), June/July 2018 (CP, ~40 miles, too hot!)
Hi all,

I just found out that I have peroneal tendenosis, or an ankle condition that could flare up. I have three strikes that make this likely to occur: I'm overweight, have high arches, and have a very old injury (35 years ago) to my ankle. Yesterday I got shot of cortisone in the afflicted area, and got instant relief with the promise of more relief to come over the coming week.

My question is, could a pharmacist give me a shot of cortisone if I need it? Or would I have to go elsewhere? I'll be bringing my ankle brace on the summer 2016 Camino, so that should help. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers, Katie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have not heard of pharmacists giving injections of any kind.
There are private doctors all along the Camino Frances. It would be a real nightmare to try to arrange that through the Spanish health system.

You might also talk with your doctor about the frequency of cortisone. I think there are warnings about frequency. I am not sure about this but seem to remember a warning a few years ago when I received one.

I have had similar cortisone injections and the doctor has always cautioned that it would be could for a specific period, a few months, prior to my next opportunity for an injection. Talk to your doctor and I suspect you will be able to time your injections so that your ankle will be in the best possible condition for walking.

I am not a medical professional, but I suspect that you might be able to find a doctor in some of the larger cities that would be more than capable of providing such an injection; if your timing is such that it is time for another injection. You may even be able to set it up in advance by contacting a doctor.

Good luck,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Definitely get advice from your Doctor.

I required injections for my Achilles tendonitis before my first Camino, and it had to be done under Ultrasound to guide the need to the right spot :oops:

Not the same condition as yours, but I was told the injection was good for 3 months. The effect started to wear off at about 4 months.

I'm also not a medical professional, but echoing the caution about injections. In the end that may do more harm than good if overused or if used for pain relief without actually dealing with the injury.

I have the same thing (I'm not overweight but the rest applies). It hurt a lot as the days went on, especially on downhills when I had to point my toes. What helped most were ice, topical anti-imflammitory creams (which you can get over the counter in Spain), and KT tape. The latter is a complete Godsend, in my experience better (and lighter) than a brace. In the absence of a PT, you can go to YouTube and learn how to apply it correctly. But a PT will give you exercises and stretching that help a lot, too.

And DO use poles. They make a huge difference by taking the weight off your legs a bit.

#*%+!!! No! No cortisone shots by a pharmacist, not even a doctor without being done with an ultrasound to see where the liquid is being applied as it can tear more tissue. But cortisone pills are available over the counter in Spain as is voltaren. I always stock up on both while in Spain: voltaren for me, pred and antibiotics for the dogs.

You have many months ahead of you before leaving. Learn stretches, get accupuncture, ice, and change shoes. Anything but shots.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'll add my voice of caution against too many cortisone injections as well as insisting on a doctor's visit. I have had a few cortisone injections over the years for various injuries and problems but always listen to my medical professionals advice and recommendations. I also like to learn more about any medical procedure that I undertake and my doctors and physios have recommended the Mayo Clinic website as an informative resource.

And DO use poles. They make a huge difference by taking the weight off your legs a bit.

DEFINATELY! Sorry for 'shouting' :)

The only time I did not use poles on my Camino was when I arrived at my destination each day and took my pack off.
Oh.......and going to the bathroom........and maybe when ordering a coffee......... ;)

If you're a European (I can't tell from your profile), just get a EU Health Insurance card, and most doctors and hospitals in Spain will see you for free. I got bronchitis on the Camino Frances a few years ago and went straight to an ER ward, where they examined me and gave me a prescription for heavy-duty cough syrup after 20 minutes' waiting.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all,

I just found out that I have peroneal tendenosis, or an ankle condition that could flare up. ..... My question is, could a pharmacist give me a shot of cortisone if I need it? Or would I have to go elsewhere? I'll be bringing my ankle brace on the summer 2016 Camino, so that should help. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers, Katie
This, in my limited experience, somethings for a medical professional. Bring a copy of your medical condition and prescription (stating correct medical title of any drugs, not the trade name). Letter should be the original with letterhead and name phone contacts of doctor who signed the report. You "may" be able to bring a limited supply with you. Declare the at departure and on arrival in Spain. Buen Camino

#*%+!!! No! No cortisone shots by a pharmacist, not even a doctor without being done with an ultrasound to see where the liquid is being applied as it can tear more tissue. But cortisone pills are available over the counter in Spain as is voltaren. I always stock up on both while in Spain: voltaren for me, pred and antibiotics for the dogs.

You have many months ahead of you before leaving. Learn stretches, get accupuncture, ice, and change shoes. Anything but shots.
Voltaren is not cortisone or a derivative but is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory and much safer to use than cortisone with the warning that if you suffer from stomach ulcers or are prone to stomach acid it should be taken in combination with a product like Nexium or Losec to prevent stomach upset.

Voltaren is not cortisone or a derivative but is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory and much safer to use than cortisone with the warning that if you suffer from stomach ulcers or are prone to stomach acid it should be taken in combination with a product like Nexium or Losec to prevent stomach upset.
@pensioner45 , I did say "cortisone pills are available AS ARE voltaren pills" which can help with inflamation as well. This means they are not the same, but both available. And pharmacists do not evenblink when you ask for boxes and boxes of them as I do when I stock up for the year, for myself (voltaten) and the dogs (pred.).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Voltaren is not cortisone. It is a Non Steroideous Antiinflamatory. His component is Diclofenaco.

Voltaren is not cortisone. It is a Non Steroideous Antiinflamatory. His component is Diclofenaco.
@navarro , again, please read what I wrote: " cortisone pils are availavle AS IS voltaren". Did not say "as it is voltaren". All I said is that it is available and in the same way that other meds used for inflamation are, for example, voltaren.

I was not suggesting that you didn't know the difference but was in fact supplying what I thought would be useful information to others who might think of using them. Sorry if I offended you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.