• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Could one hammock camp nearly the whole way?

jrm

Hello all,

I've been really seriously contemplating hiking this trail and have been thinking though the logistics. I know there are accommodations along the way, but in order to save a little scratch, I'm wondering if one could hammock camp the whole way. Sure, it seems that there could be a lack of trees in the Doverfjell, but a tarp also makes a good tent ;) Any thoughts on the feasibility?

-jon

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Your 'aving a giraffe aint't ya? If you 'ave really done some some roach & perch you'll know that locking and clamping isn't long dog or Beagle. You can do what you like, it's a free world, but the Camino is a pilgrimage not a trail, and it is many paths not one.

A further thought says you'll find a shortage of anchor points for that hammock, though they do exist. I'm inclined to the surfeit of accommodation along the Frances or 'that trail'.

If you are really iodine & lint then there are still Donativo Albergues, church porches and kindly people who will do there best to help you on your Way.

Buen camino

Your 'aving a giraffe aint't ya? If you 'ave really done some some roach & perch you'll know that locking and clamping isn't long dog or Beagle. You can do what you like, it's a free world, but the Camino is a pilgrimage not a trail, and it is many paths not one.

A further thought says you'll find a shortage of anchor points for that hammock, though they do exist. I'm inclined to the surfeit of accommodation along the Frances or 'that trail'.

If you are really iodine & lint then there are still Donativo Albergues, church porches and kindly people who will do there best to help you on your Way.

Buen camino
@Tincatinker
Translation, please.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
From Oz I'll do my best to translate Tinc's weird but poetic dialect.

Giraffe= laugh
Roach and perch: research
Locking and clamping = camping
Long dog or Beagle = legal.
Iodine & lint = skint (short of money)

Err - the OP actually posted in the "St Olav's Way to Trondheim" sub-forum (hence the reference to Doverfjell), so is not asking about taking a hammock on the Camino in Spain. Not to take away from @Tincatinker 's funny reply of course, but - just saying...

Buen camino

Thanks tincatinker. I think we might have got some crossed wires between us! I certainly don’t think one could hammock camp the Camino... or at least when I walked it I didn’t see how it would be feasible. Nor would I want to. My question relates to the st olav’s way where the infrastructure is less developed. I don’t think there’d be a lack of trees in Norway... except for maybe in the doverfjell above tree line!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Buen camino
Be sure to bring about 50 meters of rope.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello all,

I've been really seriously contemplating hiking this trail and have been thinking though the logistics. I know there are accommodations along the way, but in order to save a little scratch, I'm wondering if one could hammock camp the whole way. Sure, it seems that there could be a lack of trees in the Doverfjell, but a tarp also makes a good tent ;) Any thoughts on the feasibility?

-jon
Yes.....it’ll bee perfect with a warm sleepingbag

@jrm, did you end up making the trip? Did you hammock camp the whole way? How did it go? Feasible? What month did you go?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@jrm, did you end up making the trip? Did you hammock camp the whole way? How did it go? Feasible? What month did you go?
I have not.. yet. A job change necessitated that I change my plans for a while. However, I am trying to figure out how to do a couple hundred miles of it next August. I've been researching both hammocking and tenting options!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back