• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • Hi Please note that the posts below are created automatically when a new Resource is created in the Camino Resource section. Users can only make replies to the topics below, not create new threads.

Buen Camino!
    Ivar

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Resource icon

Counselling therapy as you walk or dine or rest

BonitaHolland

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting 3rd Sep 2016
BonitaHolland submitted a new resource:

Counselling therapy as you walk or dine or rest - I'm offering Gestalt Counselling therapy

I'm a qualified experienced Gestalt Counselling therapist from England and will be walking from SJDP on Sep 3rd 2016, planning to arrive in Santiago in late October. If you'd like to explore your feelings or responses to this Camino experience whilst walking or dining or resting up then I can offer my services for the price of a meal or some Compeeds!
Contact me via this forum or Twitter @Snowdropbooks

Read more about this resource...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I saw your other thread regarding this and would agree with the feedback given. Don't mention what you do!

Here are some honest thoughts, which can only of course, be from my own point of view. The views of others members would be good to hear.....and may well be the opposite..

The Camino is therapy in itself for many. There seems to be a 'process' that has worked down through the ages, and this does not usually involve external 'interventions'... ;)

I had to look up Gestalt Counselling as it sounded very 'gimmicky'.... Just first impressions.... Not based on any knowledge of the topic.

I have close friends who are therapists of various types and I have come over time to understand what they do, have seen them in action, and have a great respect for their work. But it certainly doesn't suit everyone and is seen my many as perhaps a bit of a fad, or 'new age'. Sadly. I suppose what I'm saying, is that working with a counsellor of whatever type requires time and a high degree of trust. I'm not sure being 'pounced on' during a Camino would quite fit that approach :eek:

If you approached me..........I would run a mile! ;)

Even if it came up in casual conversation, I would probably avoid you from then on. The last thing I would want on my Camino is to feel that I'm being analysed, assessed or judged in some way.

I met a wonderful Catholic Priest on my first Camino. Everyone got to meet and know him. How did I know he was a Priest? Because he wore his 'uniform'! A white cassock. He was a great guy, loved by all who met him. It was perfectly appropriate for him to openly declare who and what he was. After all, he was walking what is for many, a Catholic pilgrimage.

He put himself out there, and it was appreciated. He gave blessings, celebrated mass when he could, and basically went about his day to day work almost, whilst walking.

So how do you and Father X differ?

He kind of 'fitted' the Camino. He added to the experience for many. He was a walking signpost! This is who I am and what I do. And left it to the other Pilgrims to treat him as they wished.

You would be kind of travelling incognito wouldn't you?

And for many people who undertake the walk to work through issues or resolve matters in their lives, I'm not sure slipping into the conversation that you are a Counsellor would help matters. I'm sure a few would take you up on the offer of a 'session' but I suspect most would end up avoiding you.... to work on things without 'intervention'....

Certainly in my own case, the best Therapists I met whilst walking, were other Pilgrims. Particularly after walking about 2 weeks, when everyone had settled into the routine. Some of those long conversations whilst walking were pure Gold. And coming from someone who had no agenda what so ever, did not see me as a 'patient' and was totally not judging me in any way. They had no reason to.

This is one of the amazing elements of the Camino I think.

Sorry to ramble. Enjoy your Camino, and maybe tell the other Pilgrims you are a School Teacher ;)

I saw your other thread regarding this and would agree with the feedback given. Don't mention what you do!

Here are some honest thoughts, which can only of course, be from my own point of view. The views of others members would be good to hear.....and may well be the opposite..

The Camino is therapy in itself for many. There seems to be a 'process' that has worked down through the ages, and this does not usually involve external 'interventions'... ;)

I had to look up Gestalt Counselling as it sounded very 'gimmicky'.... Just first impressions.... Not based on any knowledge of the topic.

I have close friends who are therapists of various types and I have come over time to understand what they do, have seen them in action, and have a great respect for their work. But it certainly doesn't suit everyone and is seen my many as perhaps a bit of a fad, or 'new age'. Sadly. I suppose what I'm saying, is that working with a counsellor of whatever type requires time and a high degree of trust. I'm not sure being 'pounced on' during a Camino would quite fit that approach :eek:

If you approached me..........I would run a mile! ;)

Even if it came up in casual conversation, I would probably avoid you from then on. The last thing I would want on my Camino is to feel that I'm being analysed, assessed or judged in some way.

I met a wonderful Catholic Priest on my first Camino. Everyone got to meet and know him. How did I know he was a Priest? Because he wore his 'uniform'! A white cassock. He was a great guy, loved by all who met him. It was perfectly appropriate for him to openly declare who and what he was. After all, he was walking what is for many, a Catholic pilgrimage.

He put himself out there, and it was appreciated. He gave blessings, celebrated mass when he could, and basically went about his day to day work almost, whilst walking.

So how do you and Father X differ?

He kind of 'fitted' the Camino. He added to the experience for many. He was a walking signpost! This is who I am and what I do. And left it to the other Pilgrims to treat him as they wished.

You would be kind of travelling incognito wouldn't you?

And for many people who undertake the walk to work through issues or resolve matters in their lives, I'm not sure slipping into the conversation that you are a Counsellor would help matters. I'm sure a few would take you up on the offer of a 'session' but I suspect most would end up avoiding you.... to work on things without 'intervention'....

Certainly in my own case, the best Therapists I met whilst walking, were other Pilgrims. Particularly after walking about 2 weeks, when everyone had settled into the routine. Some of those long conversations whilst walking were pure Gold. And coming from someone who had no agenda what so ever, did not see me as a 'patient' and was totally not judging me in any way. They had no reason to.

This is one of the amazing elements of the Camino I think.

Sorry to ramble. Enjoy your Camino, and maybe tell the other Pilgrims you are a School Teacher ;)
Thank you for taking the trouble to look up Gestakt Therapy- I'm sad you found it gimmicky as it emerged from a great psychodynamic therapy tradition in the 1950s and has very powerfully impacted all therapies since. I agree I'd run a mile if anyone pounced on me ..... but I'm making myself available as an experiment. It's true that every individual can explore discover and find something through pilgrimage, but a few may need a compassionate and empathic supportive 'other' along the way. I see it like this- some walk without ever needing any help whilst others need blister pads poles rest days a helpful hand or ear or offer of help..... there are medical stations along the way but what about professional psychological support? How many pilgrims leave the trail, suffer alone, don't find what they need? I don't know the answers but I'm interested in the questions....so this is an experiment I'm engaged in. I don't 'counsel' without invitation, I'm very boundaried, I adhere to strong ethical and professional standards, I'm clear about my role as a pilgrim for myself and my role as a walking Counsellor. I'm curious about all of this. Thank you for bringing the debate alive

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We
Looks like it was deleted :(
Well possibly it was too close to the boundary between 'resource' offers which I have been told belong here in this Forum, and general questions threads which have no commercial aspects (or work trade). I'm new here so perhaps the other thread could be added to this one....? I found the discussion very interesting, and it brought forward quite a range of issues well worth exploring.

Thank you for taking the trouble to look up Gestakt Therapy- I'm sad you found it gimmicky as it emerged from a great psychodynamic therapy tradition in the 1950s and has very powerfully impacted all therapies since. I agree I'd run a mile if anyone pounced on me ..... but I'm making myself available as an experiment. It's true that every individual can explore discover and find something through pilgrimage, but a few may need a compassionate and empathic supportive 'other' along the way. I see it like this- some walk without ever needing any help whilst others need blister pads poles rest days a helpful hand or ear or offer of help..... there are medical stations along the way but what about professional psychological support? How many pilgrims leave the trail, suffer alone, don't find what they need? I don't know the answers but I'm interested in the questions....so this is an experiment I'm engaged in. I don't 'counsel' without invitation, I'm very boundaried, I adhere to strong ethical and professional standards, I'm clear about my role as a pilgrim for myself and my role as a walking Counsellor. I'm curious about all of this. Thank you for bringing the debate alive
Hi Bonita, yes like s Yates, I wondered where your other thread went whereby a lot of folk, myself included advised you not to tell pilgrims what your job is. Funny enough I have been thinking of you today on a long walk in the mountains and what your plans are. Using this journey as an experiment fills me with horror I'm afraid and it may not work out well for yourself either.counsiller is not just a one off chat but an ongoing process as you will know
A lot of troubled people walk the Camino and they may need, or not to work things out for themselves. You may well find yourself in a situation ( and this may sound awful to some on the forum) whereby you cannot, to put it bluntly get rid of someone that may be extremely troubled without hurting them and this will not be good for your own journey.
Bringing your work to the Camino will not be good for you or your companion. We all need to get away at times and it does not seem like you will be "switching off"
As someone who has worked in palliative care for over 30 years, I know that I had to have many a time to switch off and go walking otherwise I would have gone mad.
You have been given good advice by Robo and s Yates and others. Please think about this journey. FOR YOURSELF.
You will then return to your work fully invigorated . Let us know how you get on will you. ?

Hi Bonita, yes like s Yates, I wondered where your other thread went whereby a lot of folk, myself included advised you not to tell pilgrims what your job is. Funny enough I have been thinking of you today on a long walk in the mountains and what your plans are. Using this journey as an experiment fills me with horror I'm afraid and it may not work out well for yourself either.counsiller is not just a one off chat but an ongoing process as you will know
A lot of troubled people walk the Camino and they may need, or not to work things out for themselves. You may well find yourself in a situation ( and this may sound awful to some on the forum) whereby you cannot, to put it bluntly get rid of someone that may be extremely troubled without hurting them and this will not be good for your own journey.
Bringing your work to the Camino will not be good for you or your companion. We all need to get away at times and it does not seem like you will be "switching off"
As someone who has worked in palliative care for over 30 years, I know that I had to have many a time to switch off and go walking otherwise I would have gone mad.
You have been given good advice by Robo and s Yates and others. Please think about this journey. FOR YOURSELF.
You will then return to your work fully invigorated . Let us know how you get on will you. ?

Annette, thank you. Your words describe exactly what I want to say on this subject. Working now for 25 years in mental health care and I would not dream of extending my job on the Camino for all the reasons you stated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
BonitaHolland submitted a new resource:

Counselling therapy as you walk or dine or rest - I'm offering Gestalt Counselling therapy

Read more about this resource...
By the way, I am a great believer in " mindless walking" Not sure if this is a proper term. Just something I say myself. Just walking for walkings sake can heal a lot of things pertaining to the mind.
Beautiful scenery, listening to music or just putting one foot in front of the other is great therapy.

In 2012 I agreed to accompany a friend on her camino. She wanted to go, but just couldn't make the commitment on her own. I work for social services, and spend my day helping people who have very sad life stories. I was really surprised on the camino to find that I didn't want to talk to anyone. The camino showed me how burned out I was. The time away from my job really helped me to see what changes I needed to make in my life.

I hope you look at the advice people are giving to you and really consider why you want to "work" while you are on the camino. In another thread you mention that you hope others will see you as "helpful" on the camino. But don't you already do that in your work life? Why not try on another hat for the camino? I don't mean become selfish, but go with an open mind and heart and see what the camino will teach you about yourself.

Thank you to everyone for your care and concern and apologies for invading your thoughts today I think we all approach the Camino with a range of goals hopes dreams for ourselves. I'll certainly consider all these comments in the next 8 days before I set off- it's also part of my preparations to prepare myself mentally for what's to come. I've noted the themes of fear for my safety, appropriateness, boundaries and work/life tensions. It is I suppose an experiment for me to take my work with me as usually I would leave it behind but this time I wanted to try something different. Anyway let's see what happens in the 'here and now' of the actual Camino, and I'll trust to my instinct. Go well everyone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
... It is I suppose an experiment for me ...

I think that is where I have the most problem with. The experiment you plan to contact is with other, potentially vulnerable people. What is if one chat isn't enough? Will you be willing to slow down/speed up to stay with that person for days or weeks? Or follow your own pace and leave them with a counselling half-done but not finished?

Buen Camino, SY

I think that is where I have the most problem with. The experiment you plan to contact is with other, potentially vulnerable people. What is if one chat isn't enough? Will you be willing to slow down/speed up to stay with that person for days or weeks? Or follow your own pace and leave them with a counselling half-done but not finished?

Buen Camino, SY
Yes I'm able to spend as long as it takes me to get to Santiago (8 weeks is my current plan), and as all Counselling involves 'contracting' about what the other person needs or wants and agreeing together what is even possible in the time available. I've mainly been involved over the last two years with Brief Counselling so 4-6 x50 minute sessions. But sometimes a client just wants one or two 90 minute sessions.... all clients are different. Some start with face to face and move to Skype, or the other way around as these days online is a growing arena for the talking therapies. I don't know maybe you're all correct and this idea I have is way off track....but it doesn't feel that way to me and I'll certainly examine that some more. I've spent 35 years working with very vulnerable people so I've some idea of my responsibilities and I also train others in matters of safeguarding. Risk assessment and mitigation is a part of training to be a Counsellor, and I believe that I'm sufficiently aware to be able to identify when I shouldn't engage in a therapeutic contract with someone because of their vulnerability or my safety. This of course is based on my own experience. These ethical dilemmas apply in my regular life as well as on the Camino. Thank you all for caring enough to write to share your thoughts with me. I'm taking all of these comments seriously.

I think what would be a better option (I have a background in health care myself btw) is to walk first the Camino yourself and then offer 'counselling pilgrimages' on a one to one base. Over the years we had some many enquiries on this forum of people asking:
Can I do this Camino thing with panic attacks/depression/eating disorder etc.
I think there could be a real need for a trained camino companion in such cases, but like in your training as a councillor - You have first to go to the experience yourself before offering it to others.

Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think what would be a better option (I have a background in health care myself btw) is to walk first the Camino yourself and then offer 'counselling pilgrimages' on a one to one base. Over the years we had some many enquiries on this forum of people asking:
Can I do this Camino thing with panic attacks/depression/eating disorder etc.
I think there could be a real need for a trained camino companion in such cases, but like in your training as a councillor - You have first to go to the experience yourself before offering it to others.

Buen Camino, SY
Wow what an interesting idea I like this a lot as it would also involve gradually withdrawing as the client found their feet.
I also climb Volcanos as a hobby but not sure I could do that and focus on the 'other' at the same time we all have our limits

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back