• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Count Everything

BombayBill

Still Learning
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024 Invierno / VdLP or Cathar
Let me do a shout out for the Count Everything YouTube channel. After years of research I’d never come across it. In my opinion it captures my experience perfectly. The obsessive planning, the challenges of the actual walk, the doubts and personal insights. It’s all done with gentle humour and exquisitely dry delivery. Fabulous!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've been watching his Camino uploads recently. Whilst his videos are comprehensive and contain useful information I do think he overplans to the point he sucks any spontaneity out of his journey.

Seeing his toilet break planning video, where he literally goes off camera for a practice poo before returning with a small plastic bag containing the results, is mindblowing.

Let me do a shout out for the Count Everything YouTube channel. After years of research I’d never come across it. In my opinion it captures my experience perfectly. The obsessive planning, the challenges of the actual walk, the doubts and personal insights. It’s all done with gentle humour and exquisitely dry delivery. Fabulous!

I enjoyed his videos. I must admit, I'm one of the "marchers."

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I've been watching his Camino uploads recently. Whilst his videos are comprehensive and contain useful information I do think he overplans to the point he sucks any spontaneity out of his journey.

Seeing his toilet break planning video, where he literally goes off camera for a practice poo before returning with a small plastic bag containing the results, is mindblowing.
I agree with you completely Tartrazine. This guy loves to study and break things down into minutia. I would think if he is not he would make a great engineer or researcher. He does have some useful information. He also has information which may be interesting in small doses but has no bearing on how or why or what my experiences on my camino have been or will be in the future. A major component of camino for me is about simplicity and self discovery. I have discovered what shoes and packs work for me and everything else that goes with it. Of course people's advice for a new pilgrim sure helps alot. I also believe that it is the joyful responsibility of veteran pilgrims to lend a helpful and caring hand to a first time pilgrim. This forum is living proof of that. Planning can beget comfort especially for the new pilgrim. Sadly or happily only when you take your first step do you feel what pilgrimage means, what the pains and joy pilgrimage brings. For me it is so simple in so many ways. Wake, eat, walk, eat walk, eat walk, albergue, wash, rest, eat, sleep with earplugs and repeat.
Listen to your body. Wake when it tells you, walk, eat and rest when it tells you. Learn people are wonderful and great to meet but you are walking within your own body, mind and spirit and no one else's. Clear your mind and get the clutter of things and shoulds out of your brain. Just walk.
This guy is very well intentioned and I think does have a pilgrim's heart. But if I had to follow his advice or walked the way he walked I would most definitely need another camino to get my sanity back. But that is just me and my advice is if his advice works for you than ignore me and go watch all, who knows how many, but they are alot, videos.

I first came across Count Everything a couple of years ago, in a discussion about wild camping on this forum. His advice on Sleeping Outdoors on the Camino is really one of the best summaries out there. Very well researched, logically broken down, and clearly presented, His nerdy persona and informal, self-deprecating style belie some serious smarts.

Just now, I viewed his piece on using the principles of non-violent protest, as advocated by Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.. In his modest way, he is a true radical. I'm impressed.

Count Everything reminds me of Henry's Cat, a cartoon that was on TV when I was a teenager. What appears, at first, to be a light-hearted story, narrated in Estuary English, turns out to be full of subtle wit and profound wisdom. I don't think he's a real Count, though.

(By the way - Bob Godfrey, the voice of Henry's Cat started life in Australia and moved to Ilford. Sometimes I think I can hear a hint of Strine flowing into the Estuary, but that may be my imagination).

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It doesn't really matter how much you plan, Helmuth van Moltke's adage still stands IMO, "no plan survives first contact with the enemy" The enemy being blisters, injury, weather, snoring etc etc. I prefer "plan for the worst, hope for the best.
right on brother! samarkand.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back