• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Countdown CP with 6 special people

Emia

Only 79 days to go! In the next couple of weeks I should visit my physician to have my blood pressure checked, but since it might be unmeasurably high right now, I'd rather wait till AFTER our Camino :eek:

I've booked our flights - arriving in Porto on Sept. 24 early in the morning (with enough time for our first stage to Matosinhos) and flying home on Oct. 13 (after one full day in SdC to celebrate our arrival)

Maybe we'll have to make one or two excursions to our local Decathlon for individual clothing, but the rest of our gear is complete and all young adults own very good hiking boots. Unfortunately they are not willing to break them in at home, so that is definately going to be an issue. I can only hope that the right mix of walking socks, nylon liners and vaseline will prevent the worst blisters. Our first 6 stages are between 10 and 15 kilometers, which is hopefully doable for twelve untrained legs :p

I need your advice for getting our Compostellanum after completing our Camino. Is it possible to get them in absentia? Our 6 special people with a mix of autistic, borderline, ADHD and bipolar issues are definately not able to stand in line for 2 hours (or even longer) at the Pilgrims Office. And since we can't leave them alone for such a long time, either my coworker or I will have to supervise them. Will I be able to get the Compostellanum for all of us if I'm the only one to join the line with our Credenciales and ID's? Any ideas on how to deal with this situation?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a form that a group leader can complete and send in to the pilgrims office prior to arrival. I googled it and found this reference on another site (caminoways):

If travelling as part of an organised group, the Pilgrims Office also has a special service, where the names of the group can be submitted by email a few days in advance by the group leader (a special form from the Pilgrims Office must be filled in). Once the group has reached Santiago, the leader can bring the group’s pilgrim passports to the office avoiding queues and receive all the ‘Compostelas’ for the group.

Someone more knowledgeable can hopefully point to where that form can be found. Buen camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Good luck with your journey.
It has the potential to be life changing for these folks.
I look forward to hearing about how it went when you return.

You are taking on a lot of responsibility with your group. Your efforts are to be commended!

Please!! If your blood pressure is currently high, go to Dr. NOW! You likely have enough time left before your camino begins to get it stabilized. High blood pressure on a camino with risks of dehydration and exhaustion could be dangerous. Take care of yourself before you begin! Your group will need you! Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Only 79 days to go! In the next couple of weeks I should visit my physician to have my blood pressure checked, but since it might be unmeasurably high right now, I'd rather wait till AFTER our Camino :eek:

I've booked our flights - arriving in Porto on Sept. 24 early in the morning (with enough time for our first stage to Matosinhos) and flying home on Oct. 13 (after one full day in SdC to celebrate our arrival)

Maybe we'll have to make one or two excursions to our local Decathlon for individual clothing, but the rest of our gear is complete and all young adults own very good hiking boots. Unfortunately they are not willing to break them in at home, so that is definately going to be an issue. I can only hope that the right mix of walking socks, nylon liners and vaseline will prevent the worst blisters. Our first 6 stages are between 10 and 15 kilometers, which is hopefully doable for twelve untrained legs :p

I need your advice for getting our Compostellanum after completing our Camino. Is it possible to get them in absentia? Our 6 special people with a mix of autistic, borderline, ADHD and bipolar issues are definately not able to stand in line for 2 hours (or even longer) at the Pilgrims Office. And since we can't leave them alone for such a long time, either my coworker or I will have to supervise them. Will I be able to get the Compostellanum for all of us if I'm the only one to join the line with our Credenciales and ID's? Any ideas on how to deal with this situation?

The quick and simple answer is NO, all pilgrims must present themselves in person to seek the Compostela.

This said, put everyone in your special group on the line line. Find a staff person, or a volunteer in a turquoise t-shirt that says 'Voluntario' across the shoulders.

Don't just wait in line. Leave the group and go into the office and approach someone in the turquoise shirt. They all speak some English...well most of them anyway.

In either event, any English speaking staff person or Volunteer will either:

(A) arrange to treat your group as a group and take you to the group office. There, only the leader represents all the group and the individual Compostelas are given to the group leader to hand out later, OR

(B) (and what I would personally do unless it was a crazy stupid busy time) take the special group into the office and arrange for them to receive their Compostelas individually and by name. This can be done quietly in the main office, the administrative office adjacent, or even in the adjacent chapel.

I think, and you probably agree that this should be a special time for them, complete with photos. The volunteers all will take photos of anyone using their camera. I do it all the time, and event have my Walgreen's Red Nose (red foam clown nose) to provoke laughter and smiles from even the crankiest pilgrim.

So, I think we have a solution.

Hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great info, as always, @t2andreo ! The send ahead form was in practice in 2014, I know, but times do change.

If you go to the pilgrim office early the next morning, when the office first opens there will not be a big line. Might be better for your specific group needs.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No, I'm not Irish ;)

But... if you don't ask, you'll definitely get "no" for an answer...

So perhaps somebody knows a volunteer working in the Pilgrims Office on Friday October 12 who would be able to give our group of special people a special meet and greet in the pilgrims office. That would be awesome.

I don't think my special young adults will ever do the Camino again. And since I'm nearly 60 years old, I guess it's probably the first and the last time to take such a wild bunch (between 15 and 21 years old) on the Camino. I want to give them a gift that will last a lifetime.

Oh, it would be awesome to receive our Compostelas in the chapel, with some special attention for these very special pilgrims (goosepimples :eek:)

[/ATTACH]

And when this wonderful moment happens I hope you will take pictures and share them with us!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is too early to know who will be here working on 12 October.

My advice is for one of the leaders to ask to speak to the staffer in charge. Most all of these folks speak English to varying levels, but ALL better than My developing Spanish.

Explain your situation and ask if something special might be done for these very special pilgrims. You might suggest presenting the Compostelas in the chapel.

The chapel is also a good place for the group to wait quietly, contemplating their achievement, while staff are completing their Compostelas. There is no Wi-Fi to distract them...

I hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.