• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Countdown to the Levante/Pack list

Don Camillo

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 04-16
Norte/Primitivo 09-16
VdlP/ Sanabres 02/3-17
Levante 09/17,
Ruta de la Lana 09/18
It's now short time to the end of the month and the call of the Camino is once again sounding bright and clear in this corner of the West Country.

To mis-quote Thoreau, in words but not I think spirit, once again time will be "stolen from my creditors" and a "broad margin" will be added to my life for at least 5 weeks. Zamora is hoped for and if time allows a few steps onto the VdlP to complete the last 5 days up to Astorga. Then it will be back to Toledo and Valencia to take the leading role of a pre-Brexit Brit tourist tour with my leading lady.

The pack list this time is perhaps more refined than previously. Weight is adjusted allowing for extra water carrying capacity in the form of a 2lt hydration bladder or water bottle with tube as the pre-technical me would say. I have also swapped out the baseball cap for a wide brim sun hat which my partner says looks like it got swiped from Freddy Krueger.

Route planning (Apart from yellow arrows). A downloaded strip map onto my mobile. Hard copies of a road map which show roads in and out of the villages/towns on route and (more importantly) show grid lines so I can use my compass. In addition translated route and accom descriptions based on recent pilgrim accounts.

The scallop shell has been intuitively chosen from the shells offered in St Mary's Church, Bridport. The shell will only be attached to my pack outside the Cathedral in Valencia, the moment once marked will give way to the first stride on the Camino de Levante.

A church on my extended training hikes is the resting place for T S Eliot. I often call in and read the words on his memorial. "In my beginning is my end, In my end is my beginning ". I read that each time I visit and think of journeys, of all our journeys. That first step on the Way leading ultimately and inevitably to the last step in Santiago, but it's not really a last step is it, it never is.

Vango 50Ltr Khumbu Trekking Rucksack, Highlander Hawk bivvy, sleeping bag 2 season
roll mat (cut down)
Wearing. trekking trousers, T shirt base, boxers and socks, Haix lightweight boots.
wide brimmed "Freddy Krueger" hat.
Carrying. trekking trousers, spare boxers/socks, 1 x L sleeve base, 1 x T shirt base, 1 x micro fleece, waterproof jacket, waterproof over-trousers.
Kit. Mobile Phone/charger, Compass, Spare laces, Very small tube superglue, sunglasses, reading glasses, 2 lt Hydration bladder (carried inside pack allowing for extra containers in side pockets), micro towel, flannel, soap (hard soap not gel), t/brush/paste and razor, Opinal pocket knife (UK legal - blade shortened and locking ring removed !), head torch, MP3 player, spare batteries, nail clippers, blister pads, Ibuprofin, plastic mug (microwave + mug = hot water) and Spork, needle/thread and safety pins. Paperwork (credencial,tickets and guide printouts)

All that comes out at just over 7.5 kg , add in water/food etc and true weight will probably be just under 10kg which although top end is Ok for me.

So if you happen to see Freddy Krueger on the Levante next month perhaps a little wave --its me. If you see him and you are not on the Levante my advice is drop your pack and head for the hills - fast.

Buen Camino,

Don.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well @Don Camillo how exciting!. I hope you have less of the heat I encountered in May/June. It’s a tough route but absolutely wonderful.
If you have a smartphone I would also suggest GPS maps (use maps.me offline). I’m not very technical but I used the the online maps every day! The route is quite well marked but there are still places of ambiguity/route change etc.
Find my post of a May/June Levante from Valencia to Toledo here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/on-the-levante-for-summer.48264/
I also have a word doc that I created before leaving. PM me with your email if you’d like me to send that to you.
A word of advice - please stop in at the Pilgrim association in Valencia before leaving. The folk there are really awesome. They sell the English guide and updates. It would also be prudent to have a member phone number to contact in case you have difficulties.
The Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago in Valencia (Contact the association via email at info@vieragrino.com) Asociación Amigos Camino Santiago CV, Dr. Gil y Morte, n24 - pta 3, Just at intersection with C/ San Vicente, right on the camino (and near the train station) T: 96 385 99 82 www.vieiragrino.com
Hours: August Tue-Fri 11am-2pm Afternoons closed. Monday,weekends and holidays closed.
You could also contact @JLWV (Jean-Luc) here on the forum. He is a member of the Pilgrim Assn in Valencia.

Cheers and buen camino, Grace

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Safe travels and Buen Camino Don!

As for your packing list, I won’t comment on everything as you are clearly a seasoned Pilgrim and know what works for you.
You will find the albergues on the Levante quite sparse and most have very basic facilities (bed, shower, hot water). I ate at local bars for every meal. Half of the time you will be in local accommodation (pensions) as there are not albergues in many places and they are quite difficult to get access to outside of ‘ayuntamiento hours’. You may find you won’t need the mug.
Spare batteries - buy in any village.
Bivvy/sleeping mat…not sure where you would sleep out. The landscape is completely barren and quite rocky. Mainly grape vines or wheat. Private land etc But sleeping out is a personal thing so up to you.
cheers, G

Thank you fellow pilgrims for your response. Grace I have taken you up on the offer of notes thank you. Maybe I should have posted earlier as there does seem to be a lot of pilgrim based information out there as opposed to printed guides (in English at least). I have no doubt that the Levante is likely to be at the other end of comfortable and compared to where I started all this on the Frances I am not expecting this to be handed to me on a plate without any discomfort. The sleeping out part is the "what if" part of my pack ,we will see.
Don.

Hi, Don,

Wishing you a wonderful Levante. I completely agree with Grace's two word description -- "absolutely wonderful." Hope it's not stifling hot for you.

There does seem to be a bit more pilgrim traffic, but you probably know that you should be prepared to be alone. When I walked a few years ago, there were albergues in about 50% of the stops between Valencia and Zamora, not at all a bad number given the low traffic. And there are new ones since then. From Zamora onward, of course, the Sanabres has lots of options. You can find a lot of good info in some of the documents pinned to the top of the subforum, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-de-levante.55/

The forum has a hard core group of Levante fans who will jump to answer any question that may come up.

One suggestion for the tourist part -- Toledo has a lot of obvious monuments to visit, but if you have time and have seen the cathedral, the El Greco museum, etc, consider the "pulsera turistica (tourist bracelet)." It takes you to five or six "secondary" sites that are fascinating -- synagogue, mosque, bell tower with great views, etc. We thoroughly enjoyed an afternoon this way. Buen camino, Laurie

As for your packing list, I won’t comment on everything as you are clearly a seasoned Pilgrim and know what works for you.....
Bivvy/sleeping mat…not sure where you would sleep out. The landscape is completely barren and quite rocky. Mainly grape vines or wheat. Private land etc But sleeping out is a personal thing so up to you.
cheers, G
Grace is spot on with the bivey bags etc, even seasoned pilgrims need to take care on this route and having extra water, gps and ability to sleep out if you can't make it into town helps. One thing I wonde recommend is if you find a spot green spot to camp on, even if it is the only patch of green you have seen for days, don't be tempted to camp there... If the grass snakes don't put you off then the sprinkler coming on at 3am will.

Having done the Levante/Sureste a few times...twice this year (don,t ask!). I only stayed in one albergue (San Clemente) and was the first for 6 days. Other times I stayed in hotels,hostals... eg 20.25 euros for 3 star hotel in Tembleque. In 3 months I met 4 pilgrims so not too busy. I walked in summer..no big deal as that is my norm and temperatures reasonable. I didn't start at ridiculously early hours..usually about 9am and finished about 1pm so roughly 20kms. If the distance was longer I left a bit earlier.
Forget the bivvy

Well @Don Camillo how exciting!. I hope you have less of the heat I encountered in May/June. It’s a tough route but absolutely wonderful.
If you have a smartphone I would also suggest GPS maps (use maps.me offline). I’m not very technical but I used the the online maps every day! The route is quite well marked but there are still places of ambiguity/route change etc.
Find my post of a May/June Levante from Valencia to Toledo here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/on-the-levante-for-summer.48264/
I also have a word doc that I created before leaving. PM me with your email if you’d like me to send that to you.
A word of advice - please stop in at the Pilgrim association in Valencia before leaving. The folk there are really awesome. They sell the English guide and updates. It would also be prudent to have a member phone number to contact in case you have difficulties.
The Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago in Valencia (Contact the association via email at info@vieragrino.com) Asociación Amigos Camino Santiago CV, Dr. Gil y Morte, n24 - pta 3, Just at intersection with C/ San Vicente, right on the camino (and near the train station) T: 96 385 99 82 www.vieiragrino.com
Hours: August Tue-Fri 11am-2pm Afternoons closed. Monday,weekends and holidays closed.
You could also contact @JLWV (Jean-Luc) here on the forum. He is a member of the Pilgrim Assn in Valencia.

Cheers and buen camino, Grace
It's now short time to the end of the month and the call of the Camino is once again sounding bright and clear in this corner of the West Country.

To mis-quote Thoreau, in words but not I think spirit, once again time will be "stolen from my creditors" and a "broad margin" will be added to my life for at least 5 weeks. Zamora is hoped for and if time allows a few steps onto the VdlP to complete the last 5 days up to Astorga. Then it will be back to Toledo and Valencia to take the leading role of a pre-Brexit Brit tourist tour with my leading lady.

The pack list this time is perhaps more refined than previously. Weight is adjusted allowing for extra water carrying capacity in the form of a 2lt hydration bladder or water bottle with tube as the pre-technical me would say. I have also swapped out the baseball cap for a wide brim sun hat which my partner says looks like it got swiped from Freddy Krueger.

Route planning (Apart from yellow arrows). A downloaded strip map onto my mobile. Hard copies of a road map which show roads in and out of the villages/towns on route and (more importantly) show grid lines so I can use my compass. In addition translated route and accom descriptions based on recent pilgrim accounts.

The scallop shell has been intuitively chosen from the shells offered in St Mary's Church, Bridport. The shell will only be attached to my pack outside the Cathedral in Valencia, the moment once marked will give way to the first stride on the Camino de Levante.

A church on my extended training hikes is the resting place for T S Eliot. I often call in and read the words on his memorial. "In my beginning is my end, In my end is my beginning ". I read that each time I visit and think of journeys, of all our journeys. That first step on the Way leading ultimately and inevitably to the last step in Santiago, but it's not really a last step is it, it never is.

Vango 50Ltr Khumbu Trekking Rucksack, Highlander Hawk bivvy, sleeping bag 2 season
roll mat (cut down)
Wearing. trekking trousers, T shirt base, boxers and socks, Haix lightweight boots.
wide brimmed "Freddy Krueger" hat.
Carrying. trekking trousers, spare boxers/socks, 1 x L sleeve base, 1 x T shirt base, 1 x micro fleece, waterproof jacket, waterproof over-trousers.
Kit. Mobile Phone/charger, Compass, Spare laces, Very small tube superglue, sunglasses, reading glasses, 2 lt Hydration bladder (carried inside pack allowing for extra containers in side pockets), micro towel, flannel, soap (hard soap not gel), t/brush/paste and razor, Opinal pocket knife (UK legal - blade shortened and locking ring removed !), head torch, MP3 player, spare batteries, nail clippers, blister pads, Ibuprofin, plastic mug (microwave + mug = hot water) and Spork, needle/thread and safety pins. Paperwork (credencial,tickets and guide printouts)

All that comes out at just over 7.5 kg , add in water/food etc and true weight will probably be just under 10kg which although top end is Ok for me.

So if you happen to see Freddy Krueger on the Levante next month perhaps a little wave --its me. If you see him and you are not on the Levante my advice is drop your pack and head for the hills - fast.

Buen Camino,

Don.

Hello Don
How did your Camino levante go? I am thinking of doing it with a friend starting on the 23rd of December for about 8 days only. Have you any advice for me about the route?
Thank you
Charlie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Having done the Levante/Sureste a few times...twice this year (don,t ask!). I only stayed in one albergue (San Clemente) and was the first for 6 days. Other times I stayed in hotels,hostals... eg 20.25 euros for 3 star hotel in Tembleque. In 3 months I met 4 pilgrims so not too busy. I walked in summer..no big deal as that is my norm and temperatures reasonable. I didn't start at ridiculously early hours..usually about 9am and finished about 1pm so roughly 20kms. If the distance was longer I left a bit earlier.
Forget the bivvy

Omar, so there are places to stay every 20k or so?
Those 39 k stages are a concern to me.

Annie, you should look at mundicamino.com. It has suggested stages and lists all towns in between. So it would be easy to see about cutting some of them up.

It’s a great route, not much elevation gain except some good mountain stages between Toledo and Avila, and then again on the Sanabrés. Lots of meseta-like days, lots of castles, great little towns. I think you would love it. Buen camino, Laurie

Annie, you should look at mundicamino.com. It has suggested stages and lists all towns in between. So it would be easy to see about cutting some of them up.

It’s a great route, not much elevation gain except some good mountain stages between Toledo and Avila, and then again on the Sanabrés. Lots of meseta-like days, lots of castles, great little towns. I think you would love it. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie! I will do that!
We're looking for a route to walk in 2021 before we pick up our groups.
It's a toss-up between the Levante, the route from Montserrat, and finishing up the route from Malaga.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry for the delay in replying but I'm not home yet. I do like this route and what I've done is opt for train or bus if the distance looks too much but from memory that wasn't too many times. There are some great stretches such as the day into Avila which is about 23kms and involves descending into the valley then a long slow climb. Your can either take the road or through the cows off road..I've done both and the road is quiet and a bit quicker. I go in summer so don't meet many pilgrims, if any, but if you go earlie it is becoming more popular

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back