• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Counting pilgrims on the Norte

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles, F+M, Salvador, Norte, V.Serr., Fr.Leopoldo
Hello everyone, I am currently walking in the opposite direction on the Norte. I started from Santander 5 days ago and am hoping to reach Irun sometime next week. Since I found it funny to count the pilgrims I met on the Fisterra-Muxia-Santiago hike last June, I'll do it again now. Here are my current numbers:

Day 1: (18/5) Santander – Guëmes: 77 pilgrims, in the albergue were 70 pilgrims (the day before too!)
Day 2: (19/5) Guëmes – Laredo: 51 pilgrims, in the albergue were approx. 40 pilgrims, so almost full.
Day 3: (20/5): Laredo – Castro-Urdiales: 55 pilgrims (made several mistakes/detours and chose a guest house as I was arriving very late)
Day 4: (21/5): Castro-Urdiales – Portugalete: 61 pilgrims (I stayed in a hotel)
Day 5 (today): Portugalete-Bilbao, along the river: 18 pilgrims

I suspect that today many pilgrims took the other route to Portugalete or even the subway. Also, some days I start late, take longer breaks and walked alternative routes, so the actual number of pilgrims is almost certainly higher.

I had no problem being accepted as a "reverse pilgrim" in the albergues of Guëmes and Laredo (the nuns didn't look at my stamps at all). I usually meet most of the pilgrims around noon, which means I have the path to myself in the mornings and late afternoons, which I enjoy a lot. So far I've liked the trail better than I thought after reading about the 'Cantabrian tarmac hell', although some sections indeed were quite monotonous.

But unlike last year's Aviles-Ribadeo, I now feel like I'm constantly a lot closer to the shore. And I love walking along beaches. I am now taking a rest day in Bilbao and am looking forward to what is probably the most scenic part of the north (Bilbao-Irun). But I've heard stories about the shortage of accommodation in Deba and maybe should book in advance this time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What a great idea to count pilgrims this way. I agree with @Vacajoe that it gives a much better impression, also of waves. I found Irún - Bilbao indeed the most beautiful part of the Norte. To avoid asphalt I would recommend the coastal alternatives, but then you can probably stop counting... 😊

Another way of counting is staying in one place. A friend of mine owns a small albergue in Pendueles on the Norte and has full house every day. But fair enough, her albergue is way more popular than the other options in the village. I am pretty sure she'll soon end up in the top-3 of most popular albergues on the Norte...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you happen to cross paths with a Frenchman named Jean Pierre from Biarritz, he is a very good friend who is currently walking west in about the same area where you are currently.
We know Jean Pierre! He is quickly becoming a Camino legend. Nothing better than sharing a cold drink with JP after a long day on the trail.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for your replies. It's encouraging to receive feedback!

Please continue the pilgrim counts - it gives a much better assessment of who is on each stage from your reverse prospective than from someone walking towards Santiago

I'll definitely keep counting the rest of my way. The next update will follow when I reach San Sebastian.
(...)To avoid asphalt I would recommend the coastal alternatives, but then you can probably stop counting... 😊 (...)

I mainly chose the coastal alternatives. My impression is that many forward pilgrims do the same, especially if they don't extend the day's hike very much.
If you happen to cross paths with a Frenchman named Jean Pierre from Biarritz, he is a very good friend who is currently walking west in about the same area where you are currently.
JP wrote me this morning that he reached Santander yesterday.

Well, I rarely come into close contact with other pilgrims, except of course in the evenings in hostels. On the way I usually exchange a smile, a nod and a hello in passing. Only twice has someone said "Oh, a reverse pilgrim". On one such occasion I was told I wasn't the only one, another one was about five days ahead of me, so probably almost in Irun now.

I am starting tomorrow from San Sebastián, hopefully you will be counting me. See you soon and Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am starting tomorrow from San Sebastián, hopefully you will be counting me. See you soon and Buen Camino.

Hello AlexC, of course I will count you when you cross my path. Say hello if you spot me (I am 2m tall and wear a green cap with a wild boar). I am currently at the albergue of the Ziortza monastery and plan to walk to Mutriku tomorrow. If you do the usual stages you are tomorrow evening in Deba(?). So our paths might cross on Saturday morning.

By the way, here are my new counting results:

Yesterday (24/5): Bilbao - Morga (Albergue Gerekiz): I met 84 pilgrims, in the albergue were only 6.
Today (25/5): Morga - Ziortza Monastery: I met 148 pilgrims (new record!), in the albergue are 18 pilgrims, I count only 2 free beds.

My strategy is now to end my stages in between the usual stages, so that my chances for an albergue bed are better, especially when arriving late. Works so far.

By the way, I had the idea to surprise pilgrim no. 100 with a joyful outburst including a little dance à la Sara Dhooma. But no.100 turned out as grumpy old men who barely noticed me, so I thought I do the celebration for no. 150. But that number never came...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I drove the Norte late last week through some driving rain storms. I felt bad for the pilgrims I saw out in that rain.

Buen Camino to you all.

Kathy

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello AlexC, of course I will count you when you cross my path. Say hello if you spot me (I am 2m tall and wear a green cap with a wild boar). I am currently at the albergue of the Ziortza monastery and plan to walk to Mutriku tomorrow. If you do the usual stages you are tomorrow evening in Deba(?). So our paths might cross on Saturday morning.

Yesterday (24/5): Bilbao - Morga (Albergue Gerekiz): I met 84 pilgrims, in the albergue were only 6.
Today (25/5): Morga - Ziortza Monastery: I met 148 pilgrims (new record!), in the albergue are 18 pilgrims, I count only 2 free beds.

My strategy is now to end my stages in between the usual stages, so that my chances for an albergue bed are better, especially when arriving late. Works so far.

By the way, I had the idea to surprise pilgrim no. 100 with a joyful outburst including a little dance à la Sara Dhooma. But no.100 turned out as grumpy old men who barely noticed me, so I thought I do the celebration for no. 150. But that number never came...
Oh my...this makes me somewhat anxious! I walked the Sanabres in 2021 and it was perfect for me - I don't think I ever saw more than 10 pilgrims in a day, and mostly just a few. Some days none at all. Bliss! The idea of over 100...! It's not the thought of not getting a bed that bothers me, it's just the idea of it being crowded and not peaceful like the Sanabres was. I would never consider walking the Frances for that reason. Oh well, I knew it would be busier, I will just have to accept it is what it is and take peace where I can find it. Anyway, this time I'm walking with my son so it will be a different experience anyway I guess.

Oh my...this makes me somewhat anxious! I walked the Sanabres in 2021 and it was perfect for me - I don't think I ever saw more than 10 pilgrims in a day, and mostly just a few. Some days none at all. Bliss! The idea of over 100...! It's not the thought of not getting a bed that bothers me, it's just the idea of it being crowded and not peaceful like the Sanabres was. I would never consider walking the Frances for that reason. Oh well, I knew it would be busier, I will just have to accept it is what it is and take peace where I can find it. Anyway, this time I'm walking with my son so it will be a different experience anyway I guess.is reverse-walking

These numbers are for reverse-walking which is why they are so interesting. Walking towards Santiago, you may end up totally alone all day even though there are 100 pilgrims on that stage.

I am slow, I will be in Deba on Saturday. I am 1.5M with a green hat, a big smile and slow pace. See you soon.
These numbers are for reverse-walking which is why they are so interesting. Walking towards Santiago, you may end up totally alone all day even though there are 100 pilgrims on that stage.
I walked most of the way by myself yesterday from San Sebastián to Orio, with the exception of the last part where I had some wonderful company.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
JP is trying to remember where this was taken. Any idea?
I believe it was Carrion de Los Condes. We had a very pleasant drink on the square with JP and Thierry. Right before a foot race came through town. He provided some some good advice about the Camino and life in general. Wish we were there with you both.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It was great meeting @Umwandert today between Markina and Bolibar!
I couldn't miss him as he walked towards me. I was pilgrim #15 today.

It was a pleasure to meet you, @trecile. The first time ever I met someone from this forum for real! I hope, you have reached your destination safely. I needed 10 hours for Ziortza - Mutriku (32km), a real highlight stage with stunning views and lots of tricky ascents. I met 142 pilgrims, almost as many as yesterday.

In the guesthouse in Mutriku are 10 other pilgrims today. Tomorrow I'll walk to Getaria, I hope I am able to recognize @AlexC along the way. I look forward to counting him too.

I believe it was Carrion de Los Condes. We had a very pleasant drink on the square with JP and Thierry. Right before a foot race came through town. He provided some some good advice about the Camino and life in general. Wish we were there with you both.
Correct. I found a photo on line of the shop in the background of your photo that matches the storefront in Carrion.

Hello everyone, I am currently walking in the opposite direction on the Norte. I started from Santander 5 days ago and am hoping to reach Irun sometime next week. Since I found it funny to count the pilgrims I met on the Fisterra-Muxia-Santiago hike last June, I'll do it again now. Here are my current numbers:

Day 1: (18/5) Santander – Guëmes: 77 pilgrims, in the albergue were 70 pilgrims (the day before too!)
Day 2: (19/5) Guëmes – Laredo: 51 pilgrims, in the albergue were approx. 40 pilgrims, so almost full.
Day 3: (20/5): Laredo – Castro-Urdiales: 55 pilgrims (made several mistakes/detours and chose a guest house as I was arriving very late)
Day 4: (21/5): Castro-Urdiales – Portugalete: 61 pilgrims (I stayed in a hotel)
Day 5 (today): Portugalete-Bilbao, along the river: 18 pilgrims

I suspect that today many pilgrims took the other route to Portugalete or even the subway. Also, some days I start late, take longer breaks and walked alternative routes, so the actual number of pilgrims is almost certainly higher.

I had no problem being accepted as a "reverse pilgrim" in the albergues of Guëmes and Laredo (the nuns didn't look at my stamps at all). I usually meet most of the pilgrims around noon, which means I have the path to myself in the mornings and late afternoons, which I enjoy a lot. So far I've liked the trail better than I thought after reading about the 'Cantabrian tarmac hell', although some sections indeed were quite monotonous.

But unlike last year's Aviles-Ribadeo, I now feel like I'm constantly a lot closer to the shore. And I love walking along beaches. I am now taking a rest day in Bilbao and am looking forward to what is probably the most scenic part of the north (Bilbao-Irun). But I've heard stories about the shortage of accommodation in Deba and maybe should book in advance this time
FYI they have accommodation for pilgrims from Irun to SjPdP also,just follow the GR10- RedWhite markings;)

It was a pleasure to meet you, @trecile. The first time ever I met someone from this forum for real! I hope, you have reached your destination safely. I needed 10 hours for Ziortza - Mutriku (32km), a real highlight stage with stunning views and lots of tricky ascents. I met 142 pilgrims, almost as many as yesterday.

In the guesthouse in Mutriku are 10 other pilgrims today. Tomorrow I'll walk to Getaria, I hope I am able to recognize @AlexC along the way. I look forward to counting him too.
I think I missed you. I am at Ibiri. 😢

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpeg
    IMG_0847.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
I think I missed you. I am at Ibiri. 😢

Unfortunately yes, and I think I know why: I guess you stayed on the main path but I didn't.

Yesterday (27/5) I took the coastal alternative Ruta del Flysh (fantastic views, but quite demanding) from Deba to Zumaia. On that path I met only few pilgrims but hoards of locals hiking and enjoying the fantastic weather. This time I even had to walk behind a group at times. I met 25 pilgrims till Deba, 15 on Ruta Flysh and only 1 when approaching Getaria at 7pm. So only 41 pilgrims for Mutriku-Getaria. The private albergue in Getaria (I think trecile stayed there too?) had still beds, maybe 8 people there.

Today (28/5) the count was even lower, because again I took the coastal alternative to Zarautz, where I spent the whole afternoon relaxing at the beach. I didn't see anyone for the last 5 km to Orio. Total count for Getaria-Orio: 21 pilgrims.

I think I'll count a lot more tomorrow when Orio-San Sebastian is on my schedule.

I am happy, I finished my camino yesterday in Irun. And here are my final numbers:

(29/5): Orio - San Sebastian: I met 111 pilgrims.
(31/5): San Sebastian - Irun via mountain route: I met 73 pilgrims.

That makes a total of 882 pilgrims I met during the last two weeks while walking in reverse from Santander to Irun:

(18/5): Santander – Guëmes: 77 pilgrims
(19/5): Guëmes – Laredo: 51 pilgrims (*)
(20/5): Laredo – Castro-Urdiales: 55 pilgrims
(21/5): Castro-Urdiales – Portugalete: 61 pilgrims
(22/5): Portugalete – Bilbao, along the river: 18 pilgrims (*)
(24/5): Bilbao – Morga (Albergue Gerekiz): I met 84 pilgrims
(25/5): Morga – Ziortza Monastery: 148 pilgrims (record number)
(26/5): Ziortza – Mutriku: 142 pilgrims
(27/5) Mutriku – Getaria via Ruta del Flysh: 41 pilgrims (*)
(28/5) Getaria – Orio: 21 pilgrims (*)
(29/5): Orio - San Sebastian: 111 pilgrims.
(31/5): San Sebastian - Irun via mountain route: 73 pilgrims (*)

(*) real numbers probably higher because I chose short distances or took alternative routes

My impression: The Norte in May is NOT crowded. I found a bed in the albergues of Guëmes, Laredo and Ziortza. Only Guëmes seemed to be full (70 people) at the end of the day. I made reservations in private albergues of Gerekiz, Getaria and Orio. There still were beds available when I checked in.

I enjoyed walking in reverse a lot and might return to the Norte next year. I still have to walk Santander - Áviles (or Áviles - Santander?) in order to complete this camino. I did Áviles - Santiago already last May/June. Maybe I'll combine my next camino with the Lebaniego/Vadiniense or the San Salvador (in reverse). Thanks for reading!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.