• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Courage in the Darkness

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Courage in the darkness

Today Sunday April 5, 2020 we in champagne like all France are in total confinement; neither cars nor people are allowed to freely roam. There is no communal life.
For the past 40 years it has been my pleasure and priviledge to live and work in France. Sunday lunches were usually communal and special; now like much of humanity my husband and I wonder if we'll still be alive next Sunday.
David Remnick's poignant essay, New York City in the Coronavirus Pandemic, published today in The New Yorker decribes how existence there,
as here , now depends on withdrawal .

Wherever in this chaotic world we might be
may we all find the strength to persevere until the exhuberance of communal life returns again.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for sharing the essay.
Stay safe and healthy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Courage in the darkness

Today Sunday April 5, 2020 we in champagne like all France are in total confinement; neither cars nor people are allowed to freely roam. There is no communal life.
For the past 40 years it has been my pleasure and priviledge to live and work in France. Sunday lunches were usually communal and special; now like much of humanity my husband and I wonder if we'll still be alive next Sunday.
David Remnick's poignant essay, New York City in the Coronavirus Pandemic, published today in The New Yorker decribes how existence there,

may we all find the strength to persevere until the exhuberance of communal life returns again.
Thank you for this. David Remnick is one of the finest editor, journalist, writer and essayist in America today.

Stay safe and sound.

I had to drive to the city-center of Hannover last week on Thursday on the afternoon and took some photos, I was shocked. I never did see the main streets so empty. Germany declared a contact-ban, not a travel-ban, so you can go outside for work or business or to buy food and goods for daily use. Almost all business is locked, only a few shops for daily needs are open. The penultimate photo is the main-shoppingstreet in Hannover.

DSC00449_kl.jpg DSC00451_kl.jpg DSC00452_kl.jpg DSC00456_kl.jpg DSC00457_kl.jpg DSC00464_kl.jpg DSC00474_kl.jpg

Normally you hardly can see the pavement due to the pedestrians.

Buen Camino!
Roland

I would have been happier with some less partisan writing on this crisis on the part of the author, but I am very pleased to see a better degree of Old World sensibility creeping in from crisis into the New York writing style. A preserve previously of certain old Bostonian and Rhode Island traditions ... (though Paul Auster has made a decent attempt)

In an opposite mood, down here at the Borderland between the Coastal Francigena and the Provençal Camino, Summer today has made his first bold moves, drenching all with his virus-killing UV and immune-strengthening Vitamin D rays from his Boss Man, the Sun. These would be wonderful Camino hike blazing days, full of Indigo mountains and Sea and clear Azure Sky, generous cleansing heat, and the growing sense that a sea change is coming, to take us out from our shadow indoor lives and return us to the foot-printed pathways of our genuine destinations.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but felt it responded to the theme of courage and solidarity
Phil Smith, Thank you for sharing this. What a heartfelt generous gesture the Pikka family has made to Spain in memory of their beloved Denise.
This is such a poignant personal reminder how gratitude and love continue across time and space.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For my part I like to learn from people that lived through adversity and still embrace life full
A bit of light
Life is affirmation ...
ABI GEZUNT
אבי געזונט​
spacer.gif
A bisl zun a bisl regn,
A ruik ort dem kop tsu leygn,
Abi gezunt, ken men gliklekh zayn.
A shukh, A zok, a kleyd on lates,
In keshene dray fir Zlotes,

Di luft iz fray, far yedn glaykh,
Di zun zi sheynt far yedn
eynem orem oder raykh.
A bisl freyd, a bisl lakhn,
amol mit fraynt a shnepzl makhn,

Eyner sukht ashires,
eyner sukht gvires,
Eynem di gantse velt.
Eyner meynt dos gantse
Glik hengt nor op in gelt.
Zoln ale zikhn, zoln ale krikhn,
nor ikh trakht bay zikh.
Ikh darf dos oyf kaporez vayl
Dos glik shteyt bay mayn tir.​
Yiddish - A Little Bit WELL
spacer.gif
A little bit of sun, a bit of rain
A quiet place to put your head down,
As long as you're a bit well, you can be happy.
A shoe, a sock, a jacket with no patches,
In your pocket three or four zelotis,
As long as you're a little bit well, you can be happy.

The air is free for everyone equally,
The sun shines for everyone,
poor or rich,
Some joy, some laughter,
a snaps with friends,
As long as you're a bit well, you can be happy.

One person seeks riches,
one seeks wealth,
One - the whole world.
Another thinks complete joy
depends only on money.
Let them all seek,
let them all grovel.
But I myself think - I don't need it because
Happiness stands at my door.​

Last edited:
Courage in the darkness

Thanks for this mspath - nice to see your face again.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.