• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Covarrubias

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
An easy and beautiful four hours over the sierra from Santo Domingo de Silos, I've really taken to Covarrubias, currently basking in bright autumn sunshine, with its half timbered houses, swift Arlanza flowing past, gaunt castle keep, elegant squares, friendly people and Colegiata de San Cosme y San Damian, with its impressive and surprising contents.

The town boasts that it is the "cuna", or cradle, of Castile, so presumably of Spain itself, and Fernán Gonzaléz, an early independent count of Castile is buried here in a Roman sarcophagus (recycling has alweays been encouraged). The Norwegian flag flies from the ayuntamiento in honour of Princess Kristina, who married an Infante of Castile, died in her 20s in 1262 and is buried here - her skeleton suggests she was 5'6" tall. She asked for there to be a church dedicated to her own St Olaf, and in 2010, just under 750 years after her death, they got round to building her one.

And they've got some impressive Flemish paintings, including a slightly dodgy "van Eyck". Definitely worth a few hours pause on the way north.
DSC_0652.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So, Alan, you must be in Burgos -- decision time! Where to from here? I am enjoying your posts very much, and I think I'll be following in your footsteps in late May. Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But don't just take my word that Covarrubias is a great place, this is what Lorca had to say when he passed through in 1916:

Passing by a remarkable lonely Byzantine cross, you enter the town through a superb golden triumphal arch. ... The town has magnificent, ancient corners - its main street is dark and narrow, with bulging, slightly decrepit houses, with coats of arms over the most modest doorways.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
cool, I am actually invited to a Viking theme wedding in Covarrubias in June, I did not know any of this! My wife is going to kill me when I sport the first yellow arrow, haha!

A little more poking around based on some of Alan's helpful comments led me to the website of the Camino San Olav in Spain. http://www.caminodesanolav.es/es/burgos/

It's a 54 km route from Covarrubias to Burgos. So, for anyone interested in taking a detour from Burgos to Santo Domingo de Silos, and then walking back into Burgos, you can follow the Lana from Santo Domingo to Covarrubias, and then pick up the Camino San Olav back into Burgos. This allows you to visit the visigothic church Alan has described on another thread.

For the Norwegians amongst us, this seems like it should be a mandatory detour!

Quite a contrast -- the Colegiata de San Cosme y Damian, pictured in Alan's first post in this thread, compared to the Chapel of San Olav, http://www.capilladesanolav.com/es/c/?idsec=381. Same town, different centuries.

I've read that this is the first church constructed in Spain in the 21st century, let's hope things improve from here. I have to say it looks like a shelter of some sort more than a place for prayer and contemplation. Frankly, and intending no disrespect, this construction looks like some of the modern-purpose built albergues I've seen along the way -- the one in Bandeira comes to mind.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've read that this is the first church constructed in Spain in the 21st century

I don't know if it's really relevant but, anyway, they say it's the first hermitage.

let's hope things improve from here.

Awful churches aren't unknown in Spain (see www.jotdown.es/2015/03/las-treinta-y-tres-iglesias-mas-espeluznantes-de-madrid for examples just in the Autonomous Community of Madrid) but they aren't an obstacle for nice ones. So far, XXIth century doesn't look too promising regarding nice churches but I (want to) guess at the end of the century there'll be some nice ones among all the awful ones.

I have to say it looks like a shelter of some sort more than a place for prayer and contemplation.

They want it to be a multipurpose building. For more info www.caminodesanolav.es/es/contenido/?iddoc=21 where you find detailed info about the church (some of it may surprise you)

Most read last week in this forum

Looking for someone to share a taxi to Sarria from Santiago Airport on Sunday 28th April. Flight due to arrive at 4.15pm We are a party of 2 people

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back