• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Covering your face

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ol4577

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned: Camino Frances 22 april - 13th may 2023
Why do many Asians (Koreans?) cover their body and face when walking? I could ask but I'm not sure if that might be rude.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Probably to prevent sun exposure.
In Asia white skin is beautiful, tanned skin is ugly.
(And skin cancer is not a common thing. Just saying...we should all probably cover up like that.)
Second this. When I was in Vietnam in 2019, I was asked pointedly “why do you want dark skin?” (Having spent 2 months in Bali, I had acquired a nice tan).

I also saw a good many skin whitening advertisements in SE Asia.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Second this. When I was in Vietnam in 2019, I was asked pointedly “why do you want dark skin?” (Having spent 2 months in Bali, I had acquired a nice tan).

I also saw a good many skin whitening advertisements in SE Asia.
Yes totally agree! Noticeable that in many countries across Asia adverts tend to show show folks with paler skin, esp. beauty and lifestyle products.

Probably to prevent sun exposure.
In Asia white skin is beautiful, tanned skin is ugly.
(And skin cancer is not a common thing. Just saying...we should all probably cover up like that.)
I think that's probably most of the answer. I walked the Camino Frances in January when at least 1/3 of the pilgrims I met were Korean and none had their faces covered while walking. Very different from my last summer walk in 2016 when many of the Koreans were very fully screened against the sun.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We hosted a graduate student from China one year and she was always very concerned about sun exposure and often brought an umbrella whenever we went out. After she had been in the US for 2 years, she was less concerned about it.

My husband walked briefly with a Japanese beautician on his first camino. She told him that she was worried as to what her clients were going to think when she returned home with a tanned face.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I visited with a colleague in Vietnam whom I'd met there the year before, she frowned at the tan I'd acquired in Cambodia in the few weeks before seeing her on this trip, asking why I had let myself become so dark and ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.