Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

COVID COVID-19 — It is time to postpone your camino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Our little team of Ivar and the mods, after careful discussion, has concluded that the only way we can be socially responsible is to recommend that in the current situation, forum members should not travel to Spain to walk the Camino. Different Camino groups have issued similar warnings.
We are confident that the best current advice is that you not undertake the camino now, or for the foreseeable future, but we do not feel equipped to put a time frame on this advice.
We urge you to pay attention to developments in Spain and around the world before buying new tickets or making new reservations.

As we have said to each other on so many occasions — The Camino isn’t going anywhere, it will be here waiting for a better time to walk.

Buen camino to all, from the mods.

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
Who would have thought that this forum for encouraging and supporting pilgrims on the camino, would be saying this! o_O

Even so, I wish people would not be "heart broken" about this. Disappointed, yes, but let's put our hearts where they belong!

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
I think that is a wise decision. Perhaps you should tack this thread to the top of the page.

For those whose livelihoods and health are harmed by this pandemic, let us pray this is soon over.

For the rest of us, this is not a disaster, disappointing sure, and inconvenient, but this too will pass. Santiago will wait.

grayland

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
It is with sadness and reluctance that we make this recommendation.

Much of the infrastructure of the Camino routes is being shut down at an alarming rate and attempting to walk using classic infrastructure would not be possible.

The possibility of being the person who spreads the virus across the route is very real.

Chris Taggart

Merrill23
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago 2013, Leon to Santiago 2018, Porto to Santiago 2019. Pamplona to Burgos (2020)
Thank you for this sensible and compassionate information.
The best way to protect ourselves and fellow pilgrims, is to take on board local advice.
To all the forum members and fellow pilgrims, stay well and be safe

jirit

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Hi All

i was afraid that we would arrive at this point some day very soon, and we have now.

Having served in the past, as a moderator on the forum, I have a lot of respect for Ivar and the moderators and I sadly support their recommendation

Neville VP CCoP

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
The camino will wait for us all.
The wise and unselfish thing to do is to protect ourselves and each other, foregoing recreational travel for the time being.
Good call, mods.
May you and yours be well, everyone...

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances TBD
Thank you, Ivar and the moderators, for being so responsible in your recommendation. We must all do our part not to spread the virus. I view the delay as an unexpected part of my Camino, but what I have done in preparation has already shown me that part of the magic of the Camino is being open to what comes along and embracing it with gratitude. I had come to my own conclusion that I could not risk being a vector for spreading the coronavirus by walking the camino this year, and I know I don't want to walk it in a Holy year with the huge numbers (assuming all is well next year), so for me it will be a two-year delay. I was bummed about it, but my husband reminded me it would give me more time to learn Spanish, which I wanted to do for the Camino, as well as get more walking under my belt. I will look at this as a way to extend my Camino experience. I am also grateful for this forum, and everyone's wonderful contributions which I will continue to learn from as I prepare.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Sadly, I agree with your recommendation to postpone. I feel so sorry for those whose livelihood is now under serious threat, for those whose investment of time and money in having paid to travel from far away is dwindling to nothing: I haven’t too many more words. Many useful and helpful posts have been given on the forum, and I hope that eventually we can return to normal services, without too much havoc having been wrought in peoples’ lives. It is a time for me at any rate to take stock, not of pasta or toilet rolls in the cupboard, but of how little I can do except try to be sensible and positive.

nathanael

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Plata,
Our little team of Ivar and the mods, after careful discussion, has concluded that the only way we can be socially responsible is to recommend that in the current situation, forum members should not travel to Spain to walk the Camino. Different Camino groups have issued similar warnings.
We are confident that the best current advice is that you not undertake the camino now, or for the foreseeable future, but we do not feel equipped to put a time frame on this advice.
We urge you to pay attention to developments in Spain and around the world before buying new tickets or making new reservations.

As we have said to each other on so many occasions — The Camino isn’t going anywhere, it will be here waiting for a better time to walk.

Good decision yet sad for those of us who the Camino annually.

PeteD

Camino(s) past & future
Bicigrino CF SJPdP - SdC Mar 2016
Kumano Kodo Sept 2018
VdlP (Mar 2020 X)
VdlP (Mat 2022)
Thank you Ivar and mods for sensible advice. Disappointed yes, but not sad. Another Camino will happen. We can play our part by returning to support all those wonderful people who make our pilgrimages possible and who may be doing it tough in the months ahead.

Arctic_Alex

Camino(s) past & future
Finished: Camino Frances April/May 2019
Canceled: Primitivo May 2020
A wise decision. I am an optimist by heart. But the last 7 days have also changed my mind substantially. This is why I got more quiet on this forum during this period.

I consider myself quite well informed regarding epidemiology, understanding the mechanisms as a former scientists (even if not an expert in medicine myself, but I can talk to the experts in their language ;-) ), with some insight into decision making and risk management.

And with this background I fully agree.

Those on the road already should not panic, as the personal risks are rather low at this stage. Also they should not feel guilty, as the single random pilgrim/traveller does NOT put the countries he or she visits at a measurably higher risk. Everyone now needs to make his or her personal decision if and how to reschedule.

But keep in mind: Most routes are long enough that if you start now the situation would be substantially worse after the first third. However, they are not long enough either that after you finished the situation would be any better, not even the VdlP.

Turga

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
I totally agree! I do find it a bit of a paradox, though, that this recommendation comes from the moderators who, on numerous occasions has stressed, that members should not give advice and recommendations to others – but of course, the situation changes rapidly and we have to adapt and act responsibly.

Ducks

Walking for 3
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portugese (2020)
Camino Frances (2021)
Really unsure what to do now. 3 of us are enroute through Portugal. We have prebooked private accommodations for all the route. Had already prepared myself for not going into Cathedral, which is closing from noon today. Hard conversations to be had

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
I totally agree! I do find it a bit of a paradox, though, that this recommendation comes from the moderators who, on numerous occasions has stressed, that members should not give advice and recommendations to others
We have always recommended that members should not give advise on personal medical issues or conditions, so no paradox IMO.

malingerer

samarkand
Camino(s) past & future
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)

I read this with a very heavy heart as the older I get the less time I have to wait! At least I can say I have been a-camino since 2003/2004 and am grateful for every step. A big thank you to Ivar and the team for looking after us and I will be lighting candles for all those still on the trail. Walk soft, stay safe, and safe home Vaya con Dios. The Malingerer.

Camino(s) past & future
2013.2014..SJ/SDC ....2015.PORTO/SDC..2017.18.19.20.BURGOS/P.FERRADA

So sad to see but sensible ,as one who has booked for September I am praying that things will change by then,so I am waiting until the last possible date to cancel.I feel I may seem selfish but as this was planned as my last Camino I will be heartbroken if I am unable to go ,but even if I do not get there the Camino has been the most wonderful happening in my life.To the people of Spain and Portugal I thank you and will always remember you.May God keep you safe.

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
So sad to see but sensible ,as one who has booked for September I am praying that things will change by then,so I am waiting until the last possible date to cancel.I feel I may seem selfish but as this was planned as my last Camino I will be heartbroken if I am unable to go ,but even if I do not get there the Camino has been the most wonderful happening in my life.To the peomple of Spain and Portugal I thank you and will always remember you.May God keep you safe.
Thank you Philip.

Stivandrer

Perambulating & Curious. Rep stravaiging offender
Camino(s) past & future
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
have received this in my mailbox:

FRATERNIDAD INTERNACIONAL DEL CAMINO DE SANTIAGO, FICS.
COMUNICADO OFICIAL NÚMERO 2 - Santiago de Compostela 12 de marzo de 2020
OFFICIAL NOTICE FICS, LANGU...

INTERNATIONAL FRATERNITY OF THE WAY OF SANTIAGO, FICS.
OFFICIAL COMMUNICATE NUMBER 2-Santiago de Compostela March 12, 2020

OFFICIAL NOTICE FICS, LANGUAGES SPANISH AND ENGLISH

In the face of the recent events of the coronavirus and also to the responsibility we have to our pilgrims and volunteer hospitals, we move the following:

1) We advise all pilgrims not to undertake the Jacobean pilgrimage right now until the situation is normalized. El Camino has over a thousand years of history and will still be there waiting for us very soon.

2) We thank our hospitals volunteers at FICS, most from outside Spain, for their enthusiasm and delivery. And for the same, and because we must take care of all about their health, we relieve them of their commitment until the current situation changes. A thousand thanks to all of them.

3) Strongly pray that all advice and warnings of health authorities be followed without any doubt.

4) We urge our political authorities responsible for the Caminos de Santiago to protect and protect, by all possible means, the pilgrims currently on Camino and who have been amazed by the magnitude of this situation, which only in the Peninsula can exceed three thousand affected.

5) We urge those same authorities, and in particular the Autonomous Communities and the Jacobeo Council, to assume their responsibility and give clear and urgent instructions regarding the operation of hostels and other establishments hosting pilgrims in this emergency and, where appropriate, guide on the provisional closure of them, as well as making us at your disposal within our possibilities for everything that is estimated.

6) We want to move a message of encouragement to everyone. Assuming our responsibility, all at one, we will have again and very soon a great way.

Ultreia and her eia.

INTERNATIONAL FRATERNITY OF THE CAMINO DE SANTIAGO, FICS.
OFFICIAL RELEASE NUMBER 2 -
Santiago de Compostela
March 13, 2020

In view of the ongoing Corona virus crisis and the responsibility we owe to our pilgrims and volunteer hospitaleros, we offer the following to the Camino community:

1) We advise pilgrims to NOT undertake the Jacobean pilgrimage until this situation returns to normal. The Camino has seen similar things in its miraculous history, and it will still be here when this crisis, too, is history.

2) Most of our hospitality volunteers at FICS come from outside Spain. We thank them for their enthusiasm and dedication, and assure them their well-being is our first priority. We release them of their commitments to serve at Grado until the current situation returns to stability and safety. A thousand thanks to all of them.

3) We urge everyone to follow the advice and warnings of the health authorities without question.

4) We call on the civil authorities responsible for the Caminos de Santiago to protect and support by all means possible the 3,000-plus pilgrims currently on the Iberian caminos who were taken by surprise by the magnitude of this situation.

5) We urge those same authorities, and very particularly to Autonomous Communities and the Xacobeo Council, to provide clear and timely instructions regarding the operation of emergency pilgrim accommodations -- including the provisional closure and timely re-opening of albergues. FICS puts all its resources at their disposal.

We encourage the Camino community to join us in this responsibility. Working together, we will soon again walk our beautiful Way of St. James.

Ultreia and suseia

Last edited:

tlandry

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese 2019
French 2020

Till we meet again, Buen Camino.

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hola Laurie and Ivar and Mods; well its not the news this pilgrim was expecting to hear. I fully understand your reasoning. There have been a number of posts on Facebook from people I trust listing the number(s) of albergues on most Caminos that have or intend to close in the near future. Now all we need is the airlines to come to the party and at least give us a 12 month credit. Cheers

Arctic_Alex

Camino(s) past & future
Finished: Camino Frances April/May 2019
Canceled: Primitivo May 2020
Dark times for those whose businesses and income directly depend on the camino. I hope there will not be a mass exodus of private hostels, restaurants and more – but I fear the worst.
I hope they get support!

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
We want to offer our hostel in these moments of almost total insecurity. Our concept of shelter is that no one is left on the street and that pilgrims feel like being in their own house.

Our hostel is open to those who want to come and have a place with almost everything they need, including, of course, heating at night, a good kitchen only for pilgrims, plenty of space, etc.
Wow.
💖
THIS is what the camino is about.
Sad days, but thank you for lifting our hearts, Anita and Gabriel.

Camino(s) past & future
frances 1998, 2000, 2013
Thank you Ivar and mods for sensible advice. Disappointed yes, but not sad. Another Camino will happen. We can play our part by returning to support all those wonderful people who make our pilgrimages possible and who may be doing it tough in the months ahead.
Agree! If doors are closed on the Camino, the Camino itself opens others. It is one of the essences of the Camino: Open doors, always, for everything good.

Isobeljc

Still walking
Camino(s) past & future
Frances “2017”
Aragones “2018”
Portuguese “2018”
Good call. A huge thanks to Ivar and the mods for all your work. I have been reading every everything with both sadness and interest.

I am part of a team who has spent many months organising a conference due in two weeks. We made the easy but hard decision to cancel it today. A huge cost to us and the 300 registrants.
The health of the members is much more important.

Bungkus

Camino(s) past & future
Tours Route; Camino Frances; Santiago to Muxia (2014)
Camino Portugués (2017)
I wish everyone and their friends and family near and far the very best of health in this worring time. I hope the Camino will soon recover from the ecconimic woes too. I look foward to waking again some day in the (hopefully) not too distant future.

Peadarmac

Irlandes Pedro
Camino(s) past & future
Astorga-S de C '11,'18,19
St Jean-Belorado '13 & '17
Belorado-Astorga '15
Fisterra-Muxia '11,'18,'19
]
Friends,
Just spent yesterday cancelling reservations made for my planned Camino Primitivo that was due to start on April 7th.The following response I received from Albergue Porta de Grandas in Granas de Salime probably best sums up the current situation. In their email to me they say :

'Ok, muchas gracias por avisar. Lo que está pasando es un desastre pero la seguridad y la salud es lo primero. Un saludo.'

Roughly translated they say ' thank you for advising.What is happening is a disaster , but safety and health come first'.

Stay safe and healthy fellow Pilgrims.

P

mmmmartin

Camino(s) past & future
Santander-SdC bici '14
Plata bici '17
1/2 Plata bici '18
Frances a pie '18
(Porto a pie '19)
The Pilgrim Office has just this minute told volunteers (of whom I am one) not to turn up for their volunteer duty.
Dear volunteers:
Today it has been decided to restrict the entrance to the Pilgrim's Office, according to the recommendations of the Government and health.
We suspend volunteering at the Pilgrim's Office.
We are very sorry to have to take this measure but in the face of the health emergency that has occurred in our country, we understand that it is an exercise in responsibility to protect both the pilgrim and the staff of this office.
If changes occur we will keep you informed.
Thank you very much for your understanding of this extraordinary measure.
An affectionate greeting from all the staff of the Pilgrim's Office and mine.
Montse Diaz
ACC volunteer coordinator

This is using Google translate. Note it did not say threthegrim office is closed, just that they have stopped people volunteering.

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
This is using Google translate. Note it did not say threthegrim office is closed, just that they have stopped people volunteering.
There is a very fine distinction there. As of this morning the pilgrim office is physically closed to pilgrims and those arriving are being asked to leave a completed application form and their credencial in a box mounted on the gates. The cathedral is closed entirely to visitors. A few minutes ago the English language chaplain posted the following on his own Facebook page: "March 13, 2020: Following the advise of the Health Authories of the Xunta de Galicia, the Pilgrims’ Center is closed until further notice. Mass in English is also suspended until the Pilgrims’ Center opens again. Mass intentions offered on these days while the Pilgrims’ Center is closed will be offered at the Mass celebrated by Fr. Manny at the Chapel of the Salesian Fathers’ Residence at Calzada de San Pedro. May the Good Lord and our Blessed Mother keep us all safe.🙏 "

Texasguy

And so...we keep on walking ..
Camino(s) past & future
French Dec in 2013
Por 03- 2015
Ingles 11- 2015
French 12- 2016
Invierno Nov 2018
Kumano 2017

As we have said to each other on

so many occasions — The Camino isn’t going anywhere, it will be here waiting for a better time to walk.

Thank you for taking responsibility and doing the right thing!!!
Buen Camino,
Texasguy

Vaughan

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francais April/May 2019
Camino Notre April/May 2020
Whilst I completely understand the reasons for this declaration I would like to offer an alternative position.

Here in the UK the government has taken a somewhat different approach to other countries. If I understand it correctly the governments advisors are assuming its impossible to completely eradicate the virus so they are trying to take measures which flatten the uptake rather than try to clamp down on it completely as some countries have done (esp China and Italy). The logic here is that this will lessen the impact on health services and push the peak out until later in the summer. This will increase the chances of health services being able to cope with serious cases that require hospitalisation. Beyond that they believe there is some advantage in the population developing what they refer to as "herd immunity". Given that they believe the virus will return again later in the year and that its unlikely that will have a vaccine available for at least 12 months this may have some merit as the last thing we want is a mass outbreak in the depths of winter when health services would be overwhelmed. Bear in mind too that for the vast majority of people this will not be a serious illness. Its impossible to know how widespread the virus is already and indeed some of us may already have it and be spreading it. That would be true whether you are in Spain or your own country.

Of course if Spain declares that we cannot travel then we must comply and in advance of that everyone has to make their own decision without being judged. Each of us has a different risk profile and I completely understand that those in the vulnerable groups will be much more cautious but I am holding my options open until the middle of next month. This is a time for calm heads.

Tamsin Grainger

Camino(s) past & future
Francés
De la plata
As I am unable to travel to Greece as planned, but will get the train from Edinburgh to Kent to see my mother which was the first leg of my trip anyway, I thought I would walk the pilgrim's way to Canterbury instead. This would be OK would it not? There is no reason for people to stop walking is there? I am assuming it is the large dormitories which is the problem?

longwayhome

Camino(s) past & future
SJpdP to Santiago ( Sept-Oct 2018)
This announcement could not come fast enough in my opinion as a health care worker. Its here. The official numbers are not the same as the number of cases. My country is still in containment phase and likely to shift to "mitigation" soon. We are a couple of weeks behind Spain and a couple more behind Italy. It is devastating to many. Lets keep within our own health systems and communities for now and protect our vulnerable. Stay home. Stay calm. Stay well . And see you all soon on Camino.

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Of course if Spain declares that we cannot travel then we must comply and in advance of that everyone has to make their own decision without being judged.
The situation in Spain is very different from that of the UK. Far greater numbers have been confirmed to have the virus and transmission within communities is now widespread. Measures have been put in place to limit movement in certain districts and there have been widespread and comprehensive closures of public facilities - including albergues. The cathedral in Santiago - the traditional objective of the pilgrimage - is now closed to all. The Spanish government is requesting that all non-essential travel is halted. Voluntary groups with an interest in the Caminos such as FICS are strongly requesting that pilgrims do not begin a camino in the near future and that those currently on the Caminos make their way home instead. Although the Spanish government have not yet reached the stage of ordering further closures of albergues and imposing mandatory travel bans it seems to me to be both wise and courteous to follow the advice currently being offered.

Bear

Camino(s) past & future
Past: Camino Frances 2012.
Future: Camino Frances 2020
I'm due to start on 2nd June, but that is looking increasingly unlikely given the UK Government is predicting our peak in 10 to 14 weeks time and Spain may well be a few weeks ahead of us.
Plan B is a September start.

dnaleonard

Camino(s) past & future
One Camino Or The Other (Feb/March 2020)
I definitely agree this is not the place to be. I made it to Ribadeo today and Spain has been closing up behind me for the last week. Today it has closed in front of me too. Galicia and Basque provinces are basically closing, along with many others in Spain. Albergues, restaurants, too. I thought to check the info here while making my exit strategy. Your advice to stay away is sound advice.

Pablo Campo

Camino(s) past & future
Via de la Plata (2017)
Invierno (2017)
Ingles (2018)
Portuguese (2020)
Frances (2020)

I caught Coronavirus in Lisboa and have had to return home a few days ago to Galicia from Tomar. Very disappointed but glad I made the decision early enough to be able to actually do the journey - i wouldnt have been able to do it feeling as I do now.

Roz.K

Camino(s) past & future
Coastal Camino Portugues (2019)

Today, Friday the 13th, we cancelled our CP...so sad! We were due to leave Melbourne, Australia on March 30th for a 4 week journey. Hopefully, we will return in 6 months time, if the crisis has settled down.

Pilgrim Patricia

Want to do the VdlP again!
Camino(s) past & future
Via de la Plata; Hospitalera Miraz 2011
Dark times for those whose businesses and income directly depend on the camino. I hope there will not be a mass exodus of private hostels, restaurants and more – but I fear the worst.
I hope they get support!
Perhaps those of us who were planning a camino, and are now going to cancel, could send some of the funds we would have spent to the Amigos, or the Spanish Red Cross, or some other appropriate body who could use it to support local businesses that are going to suffer from this situation. We could consider these our "donativos".

Paul Wilson

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese April 2019
Frances May 2021
The way of St James will always be there now is the time for us to focus on those who live along the caminos, the families and businesses who show us kindness and generosity as we tiptoe through their lives I have postponed my walk and wish them all Buen Camino and will keep them in my prayers

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and back (no name; Tours; Francés; sea; no name)
I am assuming it is the large dormitories which is the problem?
People who are in contact with other people is the problem. People who move around are the problem. And the problem is right now. That's not my opinion. That's what I understand from those who are trying their best to manage this at high and low government levels.

I'm following several countries because I have close links to people living in these countries. Never in my long life have I heard so many urgent appeals for solidarity and appeals to everyone to take their responsibility for how they adapt their professional and private way of life right now and for a while. They sound sincere and really mean it.

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
I'm following several countries because I have close links to people living in these countries. Never in my long life have I heard so many urgent appeals for solidarity and appeals to everyone to take their responsibility for how they adapt their professional and private way of life right now and for a while. They sound sincere and really mean it.
An interesting exception is the group behind the pilgrim office in SJPDP who today have stated that they intend to stay in operation and support those who choose to walk regardless of the requests for postponement from the Spanish government and many hospitaleros and groups like FICS. Their intention appears to be to continue until required to stop by local authorities.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and back (no name; Tours; Francés; sea; no name)
An interesting exception
I would chose another word than "interesting". But everybody knows that you cannot make everyone and their dog do the same things, and it doesn't matter. What matters is that enough people do the same things. I don't know how large "enough" has to be.

It is clear from comments that some people wait until there is an explicit prohibition. I don't mean anyone in particular. Soccer/football games is a good example. Whether to have them take place or not. With fans or with empty seats. Voluntary cancellation by the clubs or by their association or legal ban issued by local/regional/national adminstration.

Let me just add one thing because I don't think that it is widely understood yet although governments everywhere are blowing that trumpet in all directions. The problem is now. Because if not enough appropriate action is taken now, the problem will be bigger in 7-10 days. And even bigger in another 7-10 days.

So my hope is that all that is necessary to happen will happen right now, and in time there will be people who will say: Nothing terrible happened in the end, what was all the fuss about? And I vow that I will not say a word in reply to them ....

Last edited:

tpmchugh

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Frances (2018}

It was inevitable and the only thing that could be done. Its more than spreading it along the camino. When we all fly home to every corner of the world. we spread it further. I had already cancelled my plans due to other reasons before this hit but I would have cancelled long ago otherwise. Guess that means the Holy Year is going to be even more crowded with all the postponements. Oh well it aint going anywhere so Buen Camino everyone, race you for a bed next year. Keep well everyone

Suzanne S.

Camino(s) past & future
(2015) Camino Frances/Muxia/Fisterre (2017) Caminho Portuguese/Fisterre
(2019) Camino del Norte
Thank you, Ivar and moderators, for your thoughtful advice. This is an odd and difficult time, the likes of which I have never experienced. And thank you, my lovely forum community, for all the kindness and compassion in this thread. I am, as always, honored to be part of this group of true pilgrims who understand that the Camino is within us, wherever we are and wherever we must stay. Please be safe and healthy. Buen Camino, wherever you are...

GuyA

Camino(s) past & future
Jacobi 13, Gebennensis 13, Le Puy 13, Frances 14, Finisterre 14, Kumano Kodo 15, Portuguese 18
Thank you for a wise and courageous call...this forum provides invaluable information and advice which makes personal decision making possible. Plans are simply plans and must change as circumstances require... Look forward to setting out on Camino paths when the time is right.

Guy

Lydia Gillen

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007/8/9, 2011 , 2012/13/14. C.F 2015
Camino Portugues 2017,2018,2019
volunteering
There is a very fine distinction there. As of this morning the pilgrim office is physically closed to pilgrims and those arriving are being asked to leave a completed application form and their credencial in a box mounted on the gates. The cathedral is closed entirely to visitors. A few minutes ago the English language chaplain posted the following on his own Facebook page: "March 13, 2020: Following the advise of the Health Authories of the Xunta de Galicia, the Pilgrims’ Center is closed until further notice. Mass in English is also suspended until the Pilgrims’ Center opens again. Mass intentions offered on these days while the Pilgrims’ Center is closed will be offered at the Mass celebrated by Fr. Manny at the Chapel of the Salesian Fathers’ Residence at Calzada de San Pedro. May the Good Lord and our Blessed Mother keep us all safe.🙏 "
Thank you Fr. Manny

Glamgrrl

Camino(s) past & future
Travel318

Being a global citizen that takes the right steps to help flatten the curve is the only choice we Pilgrim’s should be making. Let’s protect the citizens of Spain and our world.

MarkyD

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés 31/08/2018 - 20/10/2018

Bravo for stepping up and making this bold communication, it must have been very sobering and sad to communicate this type of message to this wonderful forum.
It will have a significant economical impact on those people whose livelihoods depend on the camino footfall. However, everyone, by now at least, understands the severity of the situation and so the health of the society must come first.
I salute you and all those brave souls who will have to contend with the direct effects of this virus pandemic - our elderly and ill friends/family members will be most at risk, we are doing this for them as well as anyone else who suddenly needs urgent medical attention from a massively overloaded healthcare system that cannot cope with the numbers that will undoubtedly arise. Let's just hope and pray that Spain hasn't reacted too late on this and that the worst scenarios might be avoided or at least made more manageable.
(I live in Madrid, and from Sunday night to now, Friday afternoon, the situation has escalated rapidly - many people are doing their best, although not everyone yet, to adhere to the auto isolation protocol of staying at home for at least 2 weeks)

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
The UK position, whether you support it or not, is that the spread of this virus is inevitable so the best approach is to flatten its peak in a managed way so that the elderly and vulnerable groups can be best protected by health care systems not being overwhelmed. This is especially true if the the hard clamp down simply results in more of us being exposed during the next winter when health systems are under greatest pressure. The belief is that implementing social distancing tactics too early will be counter productive as they are unsustainable and in some cases ineffective. Without more widespread immunity and in the absence of a vaccine we are told its very likely the virus will dangerously re-emerge later in the year. Therefore whilst it may seem counter intuitive, clamping down too early may result in more deaths than is necessary - a case of the cure being worse than the disease perhaps? Its a great shame that governments cannot act in a more coordinated fashion.

Just announced here that Spain is going to declare a state of emergency tomorrow so most of our Camino decisions have probably been made for us now. Sad times
Spain, especially Madrid, is traying to avoid the Healh System to colapse and other illnesses coudn't be treated or being dangerous for the old people to go to the Centro de Salud for the risk to be infected.
So, reducing the numbers is essential.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
The Spanish Government has announced that State of Alarm will come into effect tomorrow, Saturday March 14th.

This will institute nation-wide restrictions on the movement of individuals. (although I understand that these restrictions may vary locally)

The measures that are included under a state of alarm in Spain include: limiting the circulation or the presence of persons or vehicles at certain times and in certain places; the temporary requisition of any kind of asset; the intervention of, and transitory occupation of, industries, factories, workshops, operations or commercial premises of any kind, with the exception of private households; the limiting or rationing of the use of services or the consumption of essential items; and the issuing of necessary orders in order to ensure supply to markets and the functioning of services in production centers for essential products.

Light Traveler

Camino(s) past & future
2018 SJPP to Los Arcos
2019 Logrono to SdC

Hi Ivar,
I was planning on doing the Camino Francais again starting in June now this...
But I guess we should do the right thing.

reijo

Camino(s) past & future
(2018)
Who would have thought that this forum for encouraging and supporting pilgrims on the camino, would be saying this! o_O

Even so, I wish people would not be "heart broken" about this. Disappointed, yes, but let's put our hearts where they belong!
Hi Pilgrims
this is not the end of this world, this a new beginning. We were planning to start on my birthday the 5th of April, but next year there will be also a date 5th of April 🙏. And to all of you who are now on Camino, have a safe home trip.
Best regards to everyone!

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
We too had decided that we should not come to Spain at this time. Sad but for the good of all and our own health we are going to try to isolate ourselves from possible infection.
Our thoughts and prayers for all
God bless you and keep you safe

WildPlace

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2013, 2015
Via de la Plata (2021)
Thank you Ivar and the mods for the wise decision. Of course a little disappointed not to be able to go on Camino as the thought of it has kept me going through the dark winter nights - though I have for a few weeks now been considering my options. My thoughts are mostly with the people along the various ways whose livelihoods depend on us peregrinos :confused:

murraydv

Via de la Plata / Sanabres / Camino de Levante
Camino(s) past & future
Completed Via de la Plata (2018).
Started Camino de Levante (2019).

Good and sensible advice all round. I had April 24th etched in the calendar for my next trip and disappointed to cancel. But it is the responsible thing to do at the present time. We have to beat this thing and get back to walking when we only have to think about the flowers, the views and the beauty around us. Not worrying about available accommodation at the next stop, a place to eat, or even getting home. That's no way to walk the Camino. Better times can't be too far away. Pausa Camino

pac1952

Author of "An Impossible Dream"
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Portuguese Camino, Coastal Route (2018); Via de la Plata (planned 2021)
Thank you for your sensible advice. I was/am still planning to walk in September, and hopefully the world will be a more settled place by then, but as many others have said, The Way will wait for us ...

countycork

Camino(s) past & future
26th May 2013
I also thank you Ivar/Mods for info. Like 'WildPlace' I have spent past winter dreaming of Camino days on either the Frances again or to give the CP a go this coming September!

Bala

Veteran member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
Thank you, Ivar and moderators, for making this announcement. The need for us to all stay home is becoming more and more obvious by the hour. As I posted a few days ago, the Camino teaches us resiliency and adaptability, qualities we all need more of now. This is a new journey for all of us, but we're all on it together. We always tell one another -- the Camino begins at home, and our journeys often take surprisingly different turns. So let's consider this turn of events part of that journey and all pull together. 🙏

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Francais: 2002, 2012, 2019. (Future Ingles, Primitivo, Portuguese in 2021)
Thank you, Ivar, and I just updated my subscription to this valuable Forum for the next 14 months. I have (still have) an optimism for a September 2020 Camino -- my fourth. This Forum is THE most important resource in my Camino-dreaming-wannabee life. I would be spiraling around wondering what the heck is going on if not for Ivar and the moderators, whose compassion and love for all things Camino guide me, inform me and advise me. My love and prayers are with us all. My daily prayer includes "Thank you, St James!"

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
Thank you for this responsible post. And thank you to all who, though disappointed, are following the request to stay home. Joe and I are sitting in the airport now waiting for a morning flight. May God keep us all safe and may we have many more Caminos in future seasons.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles 2016 Camino Portuguese 2017 Considering Invierno late (2020) In lieu of VdlP (2020)

I am due to start the VdlP in Mid-April. However the UK foreign office issued the following warning today:

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) against all but essential travel to the regions that the Spanish Ministry of Health have designated as areas of community transmission of coronavirus, as follows: Madrid and La Rioja, and the municipalities of La Bastida and Vitoria (both in the Basque Country) and Miranda de Ebro (in Castilla y León)

Many people like myself would need to transit Madrid to get to their start points. The basque area is both on/near the Frances and also the Tunnel route. It looks like I will be cancelling my flights🙁

Glenshiro

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy - León, Camino Frances (2012 - 2019)
Well I did say I was going "unless physically prevented," which my wife tells me I will be if I'm foolhardy enough to try.
Not out of any great concern for MY welfare, you understand, but because of the likelihood of my returning with an infection which I'd pass on to her, our children and grandchildren. So, with a heavy heart, I'm postponing my trip - the first one I'll have missed in nine years. As I've remarked before on this site, Santiago de Compostela isn't going anywhere. Good luck, all.

dankay

Camino(s) past & future
Portugal coastal route

Thank you for keeping me updated,,you've done a fantastic job. Will try to get a credit from the airline so myself and my daughter can cahmino later in the year.
God Bless
Dan

Walton

Camino(s) past & future
2016 Sjpp to Sdc. 2018 Lisbon to Sdc to Finisterre. Next up hopefully VDP or Del Norte.
Thank you Ivar and to all the mods for all the work you do for us.

You can't rest though - we'll all be planning for a future camino and there will be plenty of chat about various things. Let's start things off!

When those speedy pushbikers blast at 100 kilometers per hour past you walking on the narrow Camino track, what's the Spanish word for "*$%#@**!!" 😂 That would be a good topic? No? :D

Wishing everyone all the best in these challenging times

Graham

zrexer

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2014, 15,16 & 19 Camino Frances
2017 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Primitivo
2020 Camino Del Norte
Makes total sense. I feel bad for all those in Spain whose livelihood depends on pilgrims walking the Camino. For the rest of us if the only issue we suffer is the disappointment of cancelling or moving a Camino walk we should count ourselves as very fortunate.
Stay well everyone!

Last edited:

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Inglés 2009+2017, Francés 2012+2018, Astorga-Santiago repeatedly
Sensible decision, thank you all mods and all pilgrims who gracefully accept that we all have to do what we can not just to avoid the virus for our own sake, but to avoid passing it on to the most vulnerable around us. As far as I know there is no scientific evidence yet that people become immune after being hit by the virus, which means herd immunity at this point is more of a hope than a workable plan. Stay home, stay safe, take care of eachother. Buen postponed camino all!

mmmmartin

Camino(s) past & future
Santander-SdC bici '14
Plata bici '17
1/2 Plata bici '18
Frances a pie '18
(Porto a pie '19)
A nice card from me will be on its way to Sra Montse and the others in the pilgrim office in Santiago after her email this morning telling me they'd stopped all volunteer workers. The ticket from Stansted to Santiago and back still exists but my plan to fly out and live in Santiago while merely hanging out and talking Spanish, that's dead. It'd be daft to fly out in the present circumstances.

I do feel so sad for those lovely people who have been so kind to me on previous Caminos. Some of these villages have six buildings: three are albergues and the other three are houses lived in by people who sell stuff to pilgrims staying in those albergues. A lot of people are going to become really very poor because of this. Not to mention the millions in the travel and hospitality industries who will lose their jobs.

Sri

Camino(s) past & future
Planning for Camino France April/May 2020
Today, Friday the 13th, we cancelled our CP...so sad! We were due to leave Melbourne, Australia on March 30th for a 4 week journey. Hopefully, we will return in 6 months time, if the crisis has settled down.
My flight from Melbourne to Paris is on 2nd April and start CF on 6th April from SJPDP. Most likely I have to cancel my first Camino 😔

Karl Oz

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
Portuguese
Aragones
Sanabres
Piamonte
Elizabethpfad
I would chose another word than "interesting". But everybody knows that you cannot make everyone and their dog do the same things, and it doesn't matter. What matters is that enough people do the same things. I don't know how large "enough" has to be.

It is clear from comments that some people wait until there is an explicit prohibition. I don't mean anyone in particular. Soccer/football games is a good example. Whether to have them take place or not. With fans or with empty seats. Voluntary cancellation by the clubs or by their association or legal ban issued by local/regional/national adminstration.

Let me just add one thing because I don't think that it is widely understood yet although governments everywhere are blowing that trumpet in all directions. The problem is now. Because if not enough appropriate action is taken now, the problem will be bigger in 7-10 days. And even bigger in another 7-10 days.

So my hope is that all that is necessary to happen will happen right now, and in time there will be people who will say: Nothing terrible happened in the end, what was all the fuss about? And I vow that I will not say a word in reply to them ....
Yes, the 'word 'reckless' is more apt, no matter how noble their intentions.

Monkeyboy

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portuguese 2020
I'm due to fly out at 7am on Monday 16th March ,unless the Foreign Office change their travel advice I don't appear to qualify for any refunds , I am hoping my travel company can offer a reschedule or something,though i don't know when I could go instead. Only booked this in the last month or so and was determined to go until today . Hope to be able to recount my Camino adventures one day when all this settles down. Best wishes and blessings to those on the road right now ,

alhartman

346 joyful days in Spain and France since 2005
Camino(s) past & future
Hope so!
A a wise and courageous decision. Since 'social distancing' is our only collective tool to fight this virus, and since the camino experience is the opposite of distancing, good to use the tool we have.
No one living has real experience with pandemics (black plague, Spanish flu, polio) we have only our scientists to listen to for guidance. And they have less than 100 days data on this epidemic. But if each case infects 2-3 close contacts, social distancing is the way for the foreseeable future.

Pray for a quick vaccine.
Wash your hands.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2020? Looks like.... nowhere! 😁
I'm due to fly out at 7am on Monday 16th March ,unless the Foreign Office change their travel advice I don't appear to qualify for any refunds , I am hoping my travel company can offer a reschedule or something,though i don't know when I could go instead. Only booked this in the last month or so and was determined to go until today . Hope to be able to recount my Camino adventures one day when all this settles down. Best wishes and blessings to those on the road right now ,
If you were flying with EasyJet, they’re offering to change bookings without a fee.F3FB8FF8-480A-42A2-8B57-41C46DE81166.jpeg
Maybe other airlines will do the same, I don’t know.
All the best.

Eddie_

Camino(s) past & future
part of Frances (2018-20)
I was planning to fly out later today but have reluctantly postponed (thanks Ryanair). Doing the Camino Frances over 5 years (in stages) seemed a reasonable goal but it's surprising how many times I've had to postpone. The nature of the Camino does seem to be acceptance of whatever happens. But I am halfway - back to Sahagun sometime!

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
The Pilgrim Office has just this minute told volunteers (of whom I am one) not to turn up for their volunteer duty.
Dear volunteers:
Today it has been decided to restrict the entrance to the Pilgrim's Office, according to the recommendations of the Government and health.
We suspend volunteering at the Pilgrim's Office.
We are very sorry to have to take this measure but in the face of the health emergency that has occurred in our country, we understand that it is an exercise in responsibility to protect both the pilgrim and the staff of this office.
If changes occur we will keep you informed.
Thank you very much for your understanding of this extraordinary measure.
An affectionate greeting from all the staff of the Pilgrim's Office and mine.
Montse Diaz
ACC volunteer coordinator

This is using Google translate. Note it did not say the pilgrim office is closed, just that they have stopped people volunteering.
Hola @mmmmartin I have just finished translating and saving my email. A sad but correct decision. Hopefully by Oct 2020 things will have improved and I can still offer my services. Just gives me more time and resolve to improve my Spanish.
I think there was a post yesterday that indicated that the office was closed - pilgrims could put their passports in the letter box and certificates would be posted. Cheers

Camino(s) past & future
G'Day Roz - if I may ask, what was the response from your airline?? So far mine is playing hard ball, but if the Spanish Govt extends its "state of emergency" we might have more weight to at least getting a 12 month credit. Cheers

MRZLI

Camino(s) past & future
planirana ruta 21.04.2020.
Planirali smo svoj prvi Camino 21.04.2020.,kupili karte i još se uvijek nadamo sa vjerom u Boga.

Camino(s) past & future
2015 entire CF, Porto and CF again in Feb 2020
Really unsure what to do now. 3 of us are enroute through Portugal. We have prebooked private accommodations for all the route. Had already prepared myself for not going into Cathedral, which is closing from noon today. Hard conversations to be had.
I just arrived in Santiago after walking from Porto on the coastal. Everything in Santiago is shutting down... The cathedral and the entire tourist sections. Someone just told me that all Alburgues are shutting down also... everywhere. I am stuck in Santiago.,was going to walk from Leon to Santiago. 3 weeks before my return flight to the USA. Anyone have Any ideas?

Roland-USA

Camino(s) past & future
Planned October 2020
Thank you for keeping us informed as the situation evolves. We will monitor this site and adjust our plans as needed.

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
3 weeks before my return flight to the USA. Anyone have Any ideas?
I strongly suggest you reschedule your flight home. Much of Spain is shutting down and the situation is unlikely to improve in the short term. Travel restrictions are coming into place in parts of the country and much of the public infrastructure is closing down. You could find yourself with a very tedious three weeks to wait.

Molly Cassidy

Travelling light
Camino(s) past & future
Planning to start the Camino Frances from St Jean at the end of May (2020).
I just arrived in Santiago after walking from Porto on the coastal. Everything in Santiago is shutting down... The cathedral and the entire tourist sections. Someone just told me that all Alburgues are shutting down also... everywhere. I am stuck in Santiago.,was going to walk from Leon to Santiago. 3 weeks before my return flight to the USA. Anyone have Any ideas?
If there are no flights from Spain to the US, consider a cheap flight to the UK or Ireland for a connection to the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock