A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

COVID-19 — It is time to postpone your camino.

2020 Camino Guides

Vaughan

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francais April/May 2019
Camino Notre April/May 2020
I think the ban is only for Europeans travelling from the Schengen area. US nationals are still allowed to return to the US but will have to self isolate. The UK route may not work as the advice said it was only ok if travellers had been in the UK for 14 days prior to travel.

Molly Cassidy

Travelling light
Camino(s) past & future
Planning to start the Camino Frances from St Jean at the end of May (2020).
I think the ban is only for Europeans travelling from the Schengen area. US nationals are still allowed to return to the US but will have to self isolate. The UK route may not work as the advice said it was only ok if travellers had been in the UK for 14 days prior to travel.
Yes, US nationals are allowed to return home, but the ban on European travellers visiting the US may mean there are no flights from certain countries/airports. For a US citizen it will make no different if they arrive home from Spain or the UK.

Jcf-kiwi

Camino(s) past & future
To clarify (thanks to Vaughan for prompting this clarification):

--------------
President Trump on Wednesday night announced that foreign nationals who had been in certain European countries for the last two weeks would not be allowed to fly to the United States.

Within days, two airlines announced cutbacks to services to and from Europe, with Delta Air Lines, the largest carrier in the United States, cutting routes altogether for 30 days and Norwegian Air canceling all flights to six European cities through the end of the month.
[...]
This means a drastic and sudden reduction in the supply of flights, and more cuts are expected from other airlines. Passengers on low-cost carriers in particular may want to consider backup travel arrangements; those airlines will be most immediately affected by the loss of passenger revenue and are the most likely to cut flights.
---------------

ISABEL linares

Camino(s) past & future
camino frances,camino del norte,camino frances
Peregrina 2.OOO.Very good advise.The Camino will be always waiting for you.🚶‍♀️🚶‍♂️

Sparleb644

Camino(s) past & future
Via Podiensis 2017
del Norte 2018
Fisterra 2018
Primitivo 2019
Madrid (2020)
Ryanair and Aer Lingus are also offering free changes.
we booked on Feb 15th with Air Transat from Montreal to Madrid for June 18th. Air Transat has totally relaxed change fees for all bookings since March 3rd. No changes to other bookings Fee structure. Hope they’ll step up as this continues. Otherwise we’re hooped too!

Based on the last 30 days, the whole situation could be very different in one month.

I would usually end this with Safe Travels, but instead, Keep Well!

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
If there are no flights from Spain to the US, consider a cheap flight to the UK or Ireland for a connection to the US.
The travel ban from the Schengen area concerns non-US nationals having been present in the area during the previous 14 days.

US citizens should be able to return to the US (my understanding is that it would be illegal to prevent it) ; non US citizens needing to return to the USA may need to spend two weeks in a non-quarantined territory before returning.

1deblackwell

Camino(s) past & future
North
I would like advice please.
We were scheduled to fly to Spain at the end of April. Now that our plans have changed I have to decide about our fights in the future.
Delta will allow me to change the flight but we must fly by the end of 2020. Or cancel the flights with a $400 loss , but will get the rest our our $ back. Should I re schedule for September or take the loss?
Any suggestions? It’s so difficult to predict the future of this virus.
Thank you so much! This is a sad time but we all need to work together.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015, Camino Frances 2016
Our little team of Ivar and the mods, after careful discussion, has concluded that the only way we can be socially responsible is to recommend that in the current situation, forum members should not travel to Spain to walk the Camino. Different Camino groups have issued similar warnings.
We are confident that the best current advice is that you not undertake the camino now, or for the foreseeable future, but we do not feel equipped to put a time frame on this advice.
We urge you to pay attention to developments in Spain and around the world before buying new tickets or making new reservations.

As we have said to each other on so many occasions — The Camino isn’t going anywhere, it will be here waiting for a better time to walk.

Buen camino to all, from the mods.
Thanks Ivar and bless you and your team there.

1deblackwell

Camino(s) past & future
North
Thank you,
We were to start our Camino at the end of April. I have to decide what to do with our tickets. Re book for September for free or cancel for a refund with a $400 penalty. Any advice? It’s hard to predict the future.

Vaughan

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francais April/May 2019
Camino Notre April/May 2020
Thank you,
We were to start our Camino at the end of April. I have to decide what to do with our tickets. Re book for September for free or cancel for a refund with a $400 penalty. Any advice? It’s hard to predict the future.
Difficult question to answer as nobody knows for sure what the position will be in September, either in your country or in Spain. If you can re-book now and then cancel again in the future with the same penalty that might be a good option while things are so uncertain?

Galloglaigh

Camino(s) past & future
Lycra tribe.
CF (2017/8), VF (2018/9), Postponed (2020)
or cancel for a refund with a $400 penalty
That is a rather questionable approach. Assume that they will offer a full refund if they have to cancel but if you choose to pre-empt what might happen, they are penalising people to try to keep some cash in their business.

Do you have insurance and what do they say

ginniek

Camino(s) past & future
frances 2017
Thank you Ivar and to all the mods for all the work you do for us.

You can't rest though - we'll all be planning for a future camino and there will be plenty of chat about various things. Let's start things off!

When those speedy pushbikers blast at 100 kilometers per hour past you walking on the narrow Camino track, what's the Spanish word for "*$%#@**!!" 😂 That would be a good topic? No? :D

Wishing everyone all the best in these challenging times

Graham
I know a few appropriate terms, but I don't think they would be permitted here.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Going home or not starting should be a no-brainer. Here is sobering quote about the situation in Spain from the Washington Post:
Sanchez approved €18 billion ($20 billion) in aid to combat the spread of the coronavirus but warned the Spanish public on Friday that the worst was yet to come.

“We are only in the first stage of fighting the virus,” Sanchez said Friday. “We can expect very tough weeks ahead. We will reach 10,000 infected next week.”

lizwalking

Camino(s) past & future
Camino frances(2007)Norte(2010)Primitivo(2012)VDLP(?2012)Hospitalera in Najera(2015)Frances(2015) Ho
Good decision moderators. In Ireland we are in the delay phase. Slowing the spread might mean we will have enough healthy healthcare workers and equipment to treat the people who need it when that time arrives.
For now my camino is to maintain social distance, only to travel to my healthcare job or to deliver food and meds to vulnerable family and neighbours.
I will pay a donation cancellation fee to accommodations which I have already booked for April in Spain. This feels right for me, to express solidarity and gratitude for the shelter I have received on my past Caminos

Bala

Veteran member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
Thank you,
Just my opinion, but if it were me and I could go in September, I would rebook. If there are still issues as the summer process, I would guess that the airlines will make similar offers then. And at worse, you would probably still only be out the same $400 you'd be out now if you cancel. But that's only a guess, and only what I personally would do. 😉 Whatever you decide, all the best to you.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
hmmmm, maybe rebook for September, then if it's still no-go hope for a re-book window at that point for the same reasons ?

Better maybe than $400 down the drain ?

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)

Amused212

Camino(s) past & future
Our little team of Ivar and the mods, after careful discussion, has concluded that the only way we can be socially responsible is to recommend that in the current situation, forum members should not travel to Spain to walk the Camino. Different Camino groups have issued similar warnings.
We are confident that the best current advice is that you not undertake the camino now, or for the foreseeable future, but we do not feel equipped to put a time frame on this advice.
We urge you to pay attention to developments in Spain and around the world before buying new tickets or making new reservations.

As we have said to each other on so many occasions — The Camino isn’t going anywhere, it will be here waiting for a better time to walk.

Thank you. I believe this is the right choice. I am canceling my Camino. I had planned a two month holiday - first in Spain to do the Camino, then on to Portugal and France. The governments of these countries plus my own are taking a variety of actions to try to contain the virus. Any one of these actions might interrupt my travels - maybe I could get to Spain but be prevented from going to Portugal, etc. Would my own country let me back in without spending time in quarantine? Plus, I don't want to add to the problem. And I have to cancel now or lose deposits for my post-Camino travels. Ivar, your post helped me to feel comfortable with my choice to cancel. Again, thank you.

4 Eyes

Camino(s) past & future
CF from SJPP 14, VDLP from Seville 15, DN&P from Irun 16, Portuguese from Lisbon 17, CF from SJPP 18
Good call. Thanks.

Jean-Claude

Camino(s) past & future
Francés - 2016/06, Muxía/Fisterra - 2016/07, VDLP/Sanabrés - 2018/04-05, Norté - 2020/05-06
Thank you Ivan and fellow moderators, for your information, advice and compassion. It can’t always be easy for you ... please know you are appreciated. 🤗

Gwen265

Camino(s) past & future
2019 leon to sarria

Good advise. This time next year !

Opa Theo

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francais to Santiago
Really unsure what to do now. 3 of us are enroute through Portugal. We have prebooked private accommodations for all the route. Had already prepared myself for not going into Cathedral, which is closing from noon today. Hard conversations to be had
Things might get much worse. Cancel. Go home. Everyone's life is a pilgrimage. The camino is a small portion of a person's journey.

Yo Pilgrims, had to leave the Camino Frances in Leon today and make my Way home. Everything in Spain is either closing or closed. I feel for the lovely Koreans, Australians, South Africans Americans and othets who travelled so far to be stopped by the Virus. Don’t even think about it until this virus has been controlled

Devon Mike

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Finisterre & Muxia (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018 & 2019), Primitivo & Ingles (2017)
If there are no flights from Spain to the US, consider a cheap flight to the UK or Ireland for a connection to the US.
On the news this afternoon, US has now banned flights from the UK and Ireland after Monday.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
The Norwegian Prime minister just held a TV press conference: As of Monday 8.00 AM, Norwegian airports and harbours will be closed. Border road control (against Russia, Finland and Sweden) will be launched. We are shutting down Norway indefinitely.

Meara

It's only rock n' roll but I like it
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles May 2020
I've cancelled my camino for May. It's the best decision for me. I should be getting 100% of my flight cost back from what my travel agent says. I'll know more after the weekend. I'll revisit this in the fall.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
“Return home while you can” is the advice of the Canadian government. Seems applicable to everyone.

“Airlines have cancelled flights. New restrictions may be imposed with little warning. Your travel plans may be severely disrupted and you may be forced to remain outside of Canada longer than expected," the ministry said in a statement.

Thom

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Sep-Oct 2016). Camino Baztan to Trindad de Arre, joined the Frances (Sept-Oct 2019).
A friend of mine who lives outside of Madrid just posted this on another social media platform.
“Big changes afoot here in Spain. Here's the latest:

We are now officially on national lockdown. No leaving the house unless you are going to the supermarket, pharmacy, gas station, or to care for an elderly relative, eg. At the moment, this measure will be in effect for the next 15 days. Local police will answer to the federal government and have instructions to enforce this order. All non-essential businesses must close, and this includes my husband's store. Luckily, I am working from home, and at the moment I have more than enough to keep me busy. Churches are closed, as well as restaurants and bars. All reinforcements necessary to keep the healthcare system running smoothly will be provided. The government is studying the possibility of postponing upcoming elections in Galicia and the Basque Country. All Holy Week processions and gatherings are cancelled.

Before we listened to the PM's speech at 9p, we watched the news. Drones with loudspeakers are being used in Madrid to make sure people stay at home. 100+ countries are refusing entry to travelers coming in from Spain. 60+ countries are requiring a medical exam + quarantine for travelers coming in from Spain.

The latest stats were updated four hours ago: 6250 cases, up from 4200 yesterday.”

Camino(s) past & future
Planning stage for 2020
Spain is closing borders now. I was able to postpone my May plans to October. If need be, I can very likely even move that to next year. So many businesses affected! And so many people. Praying for all.

Jenny@zen

Jenny
Camino(s) past & future
Frances LePuy Primitivo Arles Aragones Norte Rota Vicentina Portuguese Stevenson Madrid Salvador ...

Thank you Laurie and forum moderators. I wholeheartedly agree with what you say. We are all in this together. From all that we read and listen to, wherever you call 'home' in the world, the best we can do individually and as communities is to do our part in slowing the spread of this virus so that our health professionals and health systems can tend to those whom the virus may affect seriously and those who are dealing with other health issues. For our part, our move from Sydney to south west France due in just a few weeks and our short Camino Baztan we were looking forward to in late May will wait for us ... Buen camino to all. Take care of yourselves and others. x

Kumi

Camino(s) past & future
April 2020
I read this with a very heavy heart as the older I get the less time I have to wait! At least I can say I have been a-camino since 2003/2004 and am grateful for every step. A big thank you to Ivar and the team for looking after us and I will be lighting candles for all those still on the trail. Walk soft, stay safe, and safe home Vaya con Dios. The Malingerer.
I feel the same, heavy hearted..as I get older with time.. I am thankful and grateful for this thread.. I just got home from being off grid ...I was going May 1st.. I will keep my eyes and ears open.. and hopefully plan Universe willing to go when it reopens.. Buen Camino 😢

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
I just arrived in Santiago after walking from Porto on the coastal. Everything in Santiago is shutting down... The cathedral and the entire tourist sections. Someone just told me that all Alburgues are shutting down also... everywhere. I am stuck in Santiago.,was going to walk from Leon to Santiago. 3 weeks before my return flight to the USA. Anyone have Any ideas?
Not to alarm you but we just arrived to LAX and were told by the flight attendant flights from Schengen countries to the US will STOP soon even for citizens. The airports were empty. I suggest you get home now.

ruthieg

Camino(s) past & future
walking in 2020 - first time

Just wondering how long into the foreseeable future you suggest we put a halt on our travel plans. Do you think by September it will be safe to do the Portugeuse Camino?

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
Trump has announced flights from the U.K. and Ireland will also stop. Move quickly. It’s already in the news. Get home quickly any way you can is my advice.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances Part of (2018)
Primitivo (2019)
Finistere (2019)

Indeed. I was on my way come 31 March but decided about a week ago for it to not be. November is now in my sight. Time will tell. There is a life to live. It is a time to pray and and seek ABBA's face for my and our world. Let's pursue the days and survey the events. Thanks for good honest and truthful advice.

Canada Wanders

Lost, but making great time...
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2015
CP 2018
The thing that brought me to this forum site was the building emergency situation globally. I had been on another Camino site that has crashed and ceased to exist, bringing a sense of sadness and loss. However, my fear for those currently on the Camino brought back to a site to monitor and support.
God bless those on the way now, may they find safety and security.
Those that have had their plans interrupted, be of good cheer, and wait for a new day.
The Camino will always find a way.

Turga

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
Just wondering how long into the foreseeable future you suggest we put a halt on our travel plans. Do you think by September it will be safe to do the Portugeuse Camino?
Don’t rely on advice/recommendations from moderators or others on this forum or any other public forum! Listen to advice from your national government/health authorities and reputable resources only.

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
Don’t rely on advice/recommendations from moderators or others on this forum or any other public forum! Listen to advice from your national government/health authorities and reputable resources only.
Which has been the advise of moderators since all this started.

provodnikcamino

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria - Santiago (09/2019)
Porto - Santiago (09/2020)
UK and Ireland are both part of the travel ban now. Your best short-term bet may be Mexico or Canada.

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
Unfortunately, nobody knows. Experts and non-experts alike go through various scenarios to make assumptions and work out a possible time frame, but the uncertainties are too large for us to be giving advice on personal travel plans.

Ask us a question about the camino, and we can probably answer. This question, we can't!

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I don't expect the number to become zero. The numbers for the flu are never zero. But those numbers do need to show that the disease is under control, stopped spreading, and is treatable and hopefully preventible.
But we do usually have vaccines against the flu. I know that they aren't always effective, but right now the only way to slow this virus down is to deny it host bodies.

jcat

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria - Santiago 2016
Camino Ingles 2019
Cancelled my April Camino. No problem getting a full refund on my flight. My initial plan was to just change the dates to October, but then decided to wait it out before making a decision.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
I went back in the forum’s time machine ....

On Feb 14, there were still only 2 known cases of Covid19 in Spain. Today March 15, there are 7,753 known cases (death toll 288) (today’s numbers from thelocal.es).

It’s been astonishing and exhausting to watch history happening before our eyes. The mods must be completely worn out.

I doubt even the health authorities can tell us right now when the coast will be clear to go back to life as usual. So much depends on the decisions of governments.

Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia (May 2016)
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Camino Portugues (June 2019)
Covid19 isnt going away. The current goal is to flatten the curve of infections so they dont happen all at once and overwhelm the health systems. At some point, I suspect everyone will be exposed to this novel virus against which we have no immunity. So travel bans will have no effect against a pandemic a few months from now. That's my epidemiological projection, (which is worth what you paid for it.)

Jeffns

Camino(s) past & future
September 2020
Just my opinion, but if it were me and I could go in September, I would rebook. If there are still issues as the summer process, I would guess that the airlines will make similar offers then. And at worse, you would probably still only be out the same $400 you'd be out now if you cancel. But that's only a guess, and only what I personally would do. 😉 Whatever you decide, all the best to you.
I’m in the exact same situation with American Airlines. I re-booked to start in September.

rafikiphoto

Still trying!
Camino(s) past & future
Plan May/June 2020 but probably not now!
Thank you,
My wife and I both have (non-Camino) flights booked for mid-April. I have the opportunity to re-schedule both to a later date without penalty so long as I do it before 31st March. My plan is to wait until closer to that date and decide then because if the airline cancels those flights before, which could easily happen, I will get a full refund and am free to wait and see later in the year. Should the flights not be cancelled by the deadline I will see what extra charges I must pay to re-book (difference in flight prices) to see if it is worth it or let the tickets lapse.

Last edited:

SFGfan

Camino(s) past & future
‘13 Ponferrada-Finnesteri via Santiago
‘15 SJP-Burgos
‘18 Burgos-Ponferrada
The Camino will always be there. Be safe stay safe.
Buen Camino

André2112

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances + Finesterre April/May (2018)
Camino Norte August (2020)
I really feel sorry for everyone who have to cancel now because of Covid-19. In the bigger picture this is off course not important. In have a flight to Pamplona on Aug 15th, I have my fingers crossed but tbh my mind not really on the Camino now.

Stay safe!

Iriebabel

The cyborg turtle
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018
Camino Del Norte & part of Lebaniego 2019
My flight cancelled after Spain declared emergency so was able to get a refund from the airlines. There Is always next year. The way we live life and how we interact with each other in a public setting will change in the future but I think for the better so I remain positive in my outlook.

Had another follow up with my plantar faciitis foot surgeon today ... surgery was 23 January. I am healing but not 100% perfect...the original pain has subsided But the pain of surgery remains for now. I am off crutches and for now it is back to stretching and icing daily. To avoid the scar tissue.

Thanks to @ivar, forum members and our Mods for keeping the information flowing And keeping it based facts not fiction.

Let us offer a prayer and positive thoughts to all those already affected by this event Or who have lost love ones. The camino and Spain is ever present in our hearts and minds ....just because we are not walking doesn't mean we have lost the spirit of the camino. We can instead care for our friends and neighbors, the elderly or those who cannot go out due to compromised immune systems. Love to you all my camino family and be safe

zrexer

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2014, 15,16 & 19 Camino Frances
2017 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Primitivo
2020 Camino Del Norte
This is certainly no joke. My son left work today with a fever and dry cough. He had been at a conference in California about 2 weeks ago that had an international group. He is trying to get in for a test, but they are swamped.
He isn't feeling too bad so far, but he does have asthma, so this could be serious for him.
If he is confirmed I will be in isolation for 2 weeks minimum as he was over for dinner last night. I am retired, so not a big deal, but still a concern.
Worrying about my Camino this fall is about the last thing on my mind now.

Iriebabel

The cyborg turtle
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018
Camino Del Norte & part of Lebaniego 2019
This is certainly no joke. My son left work today with a fever and dry cough. He had been at a conference in California about 2 weeks ago that had an international group. He is trying to get in for a test, but they are swamped.
He isn't feeling too bad so far, but he does have asthma, so this could be serious for him.
If he is confirmed I will be in isolation for 2 weeks minimum as he was over for dinner last night. I am retired, so not a big deal, but still a concern.
My best wishes to your son that he will be well. If he is young and strong without any underlining health issues he should fair well. I hope you will keep us updated on his progress. I think you have the best wishes from all on this forum.

I am retired too and I have asthma so I don't go out unless I have to. My mom in isolation she has severe asthma and COPD. Today I went to the foot doctor for my surgical follow up and 88B30E6B-7E65-4F2F-BDDF-D29D9206BA02.jpegwent to the supermarket only to find empty shelves.. but the supermarket is doing a great job on disinfecting so much so my nose was burning from the chemicals 🙂 but no complaint from me. Panic and selfishness exists but I know it is only the action of a few . Stay well

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
How very worrying for you. I hope he is ok and well very soon... it puts all other issues into perspective.

Last edited:

zrexer

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2017 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Primitivo
2020 Camino Del Norte
It is best to self isolate regardless
Agreed, during the winter I am pretty much a hermit anyway in northern Alberta. Just hang out with my dog and do a lot of reading. I of course get dinner ready for my wife who still works. Retirement has turned me into a decent cook!

Last edited:

CaminoDebrita

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
Hello, dear friends! I popped in to see what my fellow pilgrims had to say about this heartbreaking pandemic. I'm glad to see all of you banding together and proceeding with grace. It's a time to safeguard!

My situation is interesting, as always. I finally got my health in check--I had uncontrolled asthma, but had to tank before I got help (gotta love the US healthcare, NOT!). I was feeling amazing until ten days ago, when I got terribly ill---sniffles, body aches, all that jazz. In any case, I've been enjoying the "confines" of home and better.

My band is doing well! We are headlining the county fair and rodeo in August if things clear up here in the USA. I won't be holding my breath.

The high school I work at is closed, at least through April 1st, but maybe after that too. I'm the "sub librarian" but may choose to discontinue that job.

Good health and good luck to all, and I'm glad to see everyone together!

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
France will be in general lockdown from 12 midday tomorrow.
Here's the link : https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-co...P8huuAaRZLATrNu3R3Mfmt823NBjF8PYCUXqfCuwKtRRw

It says... On March 16, 2020, the President of the Republic decided to take measures to reduce contact and travel to a minimum as of Tuesday March 17 at 12:00 noon, for a minimum of fifteen days. These will be authorized on certificate only for:

• Travel from home to work when telework is not possible
  • Make essential purchases in authorized local shops
  • Go to a health professional
  • Travel for childcare and support vulnerable people
  • Exercise only on an individual basis, around the home and without any gathering
The certificate necessary to circulate will be available on this page tomorrow Tuesday, March 17.

We can download a form tomorrow and complete it and take it with us if we need to go out. I will take my little walk around the woods behind my house but I'm always on my own... and evenso... I'll take my attestation with me!

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
The certificate necessary to circulate
Can't see much chance of this being workable locally -- it is not, of course, any sort of crime against the State to not own a printer.

But it does make all French route Caminos unwalkable.

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
Can't see much chance of this being workable locally -- it is not, of course, any sort of crime against the State to not own a printer.

But it does make all French route Caminos unwalkable.
100% - just as in Spain it's time to reconsider until things improve. The sooner we can break this thing the sooner life can return to normal... whatever that normal will be

Calkrizz1989

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese 19, French 20 (Probably not now)
I had my flights booked with Flybe originally for a May Camiño Frances, Flybe went bust. Day after I booked with Air France and Easy Jet and now Spain is on complete lock down and there is a deadly airborne virus being transferred around the world spreading faster than an Australian bush fire.
I need to accept the fact that it’s not meant to happen, if I decide to go in May, even if it’s permitted, it’s not only selfish but massively irresponsible. The Camino will always be there for another day.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2020? Hopefully Via de Bayona/Burgos to Ponferrada/Camino de Invierno
I had my flights booked with Flybe originally for a May Camiño Frances, Flybe went bust. Day after I booked with Air France and Easy Jet and now Spain is on complete lock down and there is a deadly airborne virus being transferred around the world spreading faster than an Australian bush fire.
I need to accept the fact that it’s not meant to happen, if I decide to go in May, even if it’s permitted, it’s not only selfish but massively irresponsible. The Camino will always be there for another day.
I am so sorry your plans were wrecked, just like all ours 😓 It is still difficult to take it all in as things are moving so fast... 😥
Just one thing to remember though, this virus is not airborne (unless I have got it all wrong!!!?) but it moves with us, hence the need to stay put.
All the best to each and everyone of you, stay safe.
Hopefully we’ll all be able to walk the Caminos again...
D

FooteK

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to SdC, 2013; Lourdes to SdC, 2015; ??? to SdC (2020)
I just arrived in Santiago after walking from Porto on the coastal. Everything in Santiago is shutting down... The cathedral and the entire tourist sections. Someone just told me that all Alburgues are shutting down also... everywhere. I am stuck in Santiago.,was going to walk from Leon to Santiago. 3 weeks before my return flight to the USA. Anyone have Any ideas?
Do you want to stay in Spain or do you want to go home?
If you want to stay in Spain until your return flight is scheduled, you may want to plan to stay in place and follow the rules which everyone else in Spain is being asked to follow. You don't want to inadvertently spread the virus.
"Camino Pilgrim Source of Greatest Contamination along Camino de Santiago" - not a headline we need to see.
If you want to go home, contact your airlines and see what they can do.
Do you have a place to stay? If not, maybe contact the Spanish Red Cross or the Pilgrim Office (if you can find them open).
Remember that you are returning to the US from a country with one of the highest illness rates in Europe. From what I've seen on TV, passengers returning to the US are having a terrible time getting through the airports and it wouldn't be unlikely that, if they weren't sick before, they pick up the virus at the airport.
Just my $0.02, Buen Camino and stay healthy. Have faith.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Do you have a place to stay? If not, maybe contact the Spanish Red Cross or the Pilgrim Office (if you can find them open).
The Pilgrim Office is closed since several days, the best thing for anybody stranded here is to contact both their airline and their embassy. If that fails you need to contact the police who know where temporary accommodation has been set up. You can also contact me, especially if you are in Santiago, and I do my best to help with translations and so.

BC SY

FooteK

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to SdC, 2013; Lourdes to SdC, 2015; ??? to SdC (2020)
The Pilgrim Office is closed since several days, the best thing for anybody stranded here is to contact both their airline and their embassy. If that fails you need to contact the police who know where temporary accommodation has been set up. You can also contact me, especially if you are in Santiago, and I do my best to help with translations and so.

BC SY
I stand corrected. As always, pilgrims rely on the kindness of strangers. On behalf of our friends wandering in Spain, thank you.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Anai, of Hosvol, has just sent a very well crafted letter, giving the current situation, and saying that this will not be the end of it, the halt on the service period for hospitaleros. So, as someone posted the other day - and this is precisely what Anai says, with real sadness, yes, the Camino is closed. Pro tem!
A photo from Dublin airport two weeks ago, new life is just around the corner!30E959CC-E8DA-46BF-BA06-FC6A9BBCB6A9.jpeg

LTfit

Veteran Member
Anai, of Hosvol, has just sent a very well crafted letter, giving the current situation, and saying that this will not be the end of it, the halt on the service period for hospitaleros. So, as someone posted the other day - and this is precisely what Anai says, with real sadness, yes, the Camino is closed. Pro tem!
A photo from Dublin airport two weeks ago, new life is just around the corner!View attachment 71048
Our posts must have crossed as I just made a new thread attaching the original letter in Spanish.

Mods: if you want to move it, go right ahead.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Yours is a full account, please do not remove it, it will be very helpful.

FranH

Camino(s) past & future
5 years of Camino Frances St Jean to Muxia

Completely agree to what Ivar says. I have just left Spain as one of the very last walkers from the Luz de Fromista Albergue. Everywhere else had closed. Whatever the purpose of the Camino is for each individual, it is surely not to engage in interesting conversations with the Guardia Civil! And that is what you will have in the current climate. However spend energy in thinking how hard the period ahead is going to be for many of the wonderful hospitaleros. But I did have the wonderful luck of walking the Meseta almost alone!

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2017, 2018 (2), 2019, (2020)
CP 2018
VDLP 2019 Seville-Merida

Thanks for posting this advice to those who were wavering. The Camino has been around for many, many centuries. It will outlast the Coronavirus. We canceled weeks ago. See you again in safer times.

pererin

Pererin profiadol
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (May 2014)
Camino Portugues and Finisterre (June 2015)
Del Norte by bike planned.
Wise advice, as we face difficult times globally. My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this virus, whether directly or indirectly.

I know I will return, I hope to share my footsteps with many of you posting here.

Buen Camino

Pererin

Vikita

Camino(s) past & future
(May 27 /June (2017 - Hopefully)
Sadly, shutting down was the right decision. The disease would spread so quickly as there are many people in the alburgues. It must be heartbreaking to be in Spain knowing that your much awaited camino cannot be done. I did the camino in 2017 Pamplona to Santiago. I hope to do the entire camino some day.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Sadly, shutting down was the right decision. The disease would spread so quickly as there are many people in the alburgues. It must be heartbreaking to be in Spain knowing that your much awaited camino cannot be done. I did the camino in 2017 Pamplona to Santiago. I hope to do the entire camino some day.
Heartbreaking is the needless deaths. Not being able to take a walk? Not so much.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
I discussed my plans to do shortened Camino from Leon to Astorga in June with Rebekah Scott back in February and told her I was already making alternative plans because I was concerned about sleeping in confined quarters with people from all over the globe with no idea about where they had come from or been before their Camino.
Now my alternative plans are in tatters. I have been able to cancel all of my lodging plans for May and June but the airlines are impossible to reach.
As I read this thread I saw 3 responses from people still on the Camino. All I can say is, what are you thinking?

Thornley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .
Hope you arrived home in good health.

zrexer

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2017 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Primitivo
2020 Camino Del Norte
Just an update. My son did test negative for Covid-19 fortunately, but his flu like symptoms continue to drag on. He gets to where he is almost back to normal and then hit with another wave of it.
Normally he rarely gets even a cold. So besides Covid-19, there seems to be a lot of nasty bugs circulating this year.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 318 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 91 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 362 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock