• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD COVID-19: Albergue closures - reports only please!

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A number of posts which speculate about alternative reasons for the closure of the Albergaria-a-Velha albergue have been deleted. Whether these suggestions have any substance is not relevant for the moment: the key point is that this albergue is not available at present.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Edral day centre not available for pilgrims on the Camino Zamorano Portugues.

The Portuguese government have limited visits to facilities for elderly people in the north of Portugal. As a result the day centre in Edral which also functions as a pilgrim albergue is NOT open for pilgrims at present. A hospitalero on the route has also told me today that the bombeiros are unlikely to accept pilgrims at their stations in Braganca and Vilhais which have routinely housed pilgrims on this little-walked route.

Due to the decree of the Italian State to contain the coronavirus epidemic, as of today, the following hostels are closed indefinitely:

- Ostello di Lamporo (Via Francigena)
- Santi Eusebi, Vercelli (Via Francigena)
- La torre merlata, Palestro (Via Francigena)
- Ostello comunale, Robbio (Via Francigena)
- Ospitalità parrocchiale, Nicorvo (Via Francigena)
- Ospitale di Sant’Albino, Mortara (Via Francigena)
- La Grangia Benedettina, Orio Litta (Via Francigena)
- Ospitalità Sant’Antonio, Caniparola (Via Francigena)
- Ospitale San Nicolao, Lucca (Via Francigena)
- La casa di Lazzaro, Acquapendente (Via Francigena) until april, 4th
- Domus peregrini, Montefiascone (Via Francigena)
- Ospitale del Pellegrino, Viterbo (Via Francigena)
- Casa Sofia, Filattiera (Via Francigena)
- Ospedale della Provvidenza, Roma (Via Francigena)

I invite pilgrims on the Via Francigena or who decide to go on the Way to comply with the security measures imposed by the Government:
- wash your hands often
- if you walk in company, stay at least one meter away
- do not go to crowded places
- try to choose accommodation that has single or double rooms, in order to maintain the required distances and to have an exclusive use of the bathroom, as well as to give the possibility to disinfect when you leave

I also recall that, again following a ministerial decree, all of Lombardy and some provinces of Piedmont, Veneto, Emilia Romagna and Marche were "closed" until April 3

Therefore theoretically along the Via Francigena it would not be allowed to cross (neither enter nor exit) until April 3 the territories from Santhià (province of Vercelli) to the Passo della Cisa (border between the province of Parma and Massa Carrara)

I invite again those who are on the way or those who want to put themselves on the way at this time both with common sense and compliance with the rules.

Thanks!

The situation in Italy is constantly evolving (for the worse): the latest update last night is that now the closure area extends to the whole national territory. Nobody can enter and leave without a valid reason, and unfortunately these do not include walking the way. There will be better times to do it in the coming months, now the only imperative to prevent the spread of Coronavirus is only one: to stay safe at home!

News received via a hospitalero on the Via de la Plata.
Alcuescar - Casa de Acogida de los Esclavos de María y de los Pobres closed for next 20 days or so
Zafra - Albergue Vincent Van Gogh reducing the number of beds available by 50% to a new maximum of 18

"ALBERGUE SANTA CLARA
Informa-se que, por decisão da Exma. Sr.ª Presidente da Câmara Municipal, o Albergue de Santa Clara será encerrado ao público, por forma a garantir que não correr no espaço um surto de COVID-19.

Esta situação ocorre por via do Albergue ter uma grande rotatividade de pessoas de diversos países, muitos dos quais com surtos significativos da doença.

O encerramento ocorrerá entre os dias 11 de março de 25 de março, inclusive.
No dia 25 de março será feita nova avaliação da situação, decidindo pela sua abertura ao público, ou pela manutenção do encerramento. "

This is from FB group "Caminho Português da Costa " , regarding albergue Santa Clara ( Vila do Conde ) basically it will be closed between 11-25 march .
I can't find any information that can confirm this post so far ...

Moderator note: The following is a Google Translate rendering of the message
"HOSTEL SANTA CLARA
Please be informed that, by decision of Exma. Mrs. Mayor of the City Council, Albergue de Santa Clara will be closed to the public, in order to ensure that an outbreak of COVID-19 does not occur in space.

This situation occurs due to the fact that the hostel has a high turnover of people from different countries, many of whom have significant outbreaks of the disease.

The closure will take place between March 11th and March 25th, inclusive.
On March 25, a new assessment of the situation will be made, deciding whether to open it to the public, or to maintain the closure. "

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Valença albergue closed for indefinite time (Camino Portugues)

First time posting here (don't know if it is the right place), for those in Central Portuguese Way:

Albergues closed as a precaution taking into account contingency plans for the COVID 19 virus in Central Portuguese Way (from south to north):
  • Alpriate Pilgrim Hostel (opening postponed, reopening in April);
  • Albergue de Conímbriga (private, closed indefinitely);
  • Rainha Pilgrim Hostel Rainha D. Teresa, Albergaria-a-Velha (closed indefinitely);
  • Albergue de S. Salvador de Grijó (closed indefinitely);
  • Albergue Cidade de Barcelos (reduction to 20 pilgrims / day);
  • Albergue Municipal de Pilegrinos - Casa da Recoleta - Tamel (reduction of reception to 20 pilgrims / day);
  • Rubiães Pilgrim Hostel (closed indefinitely);
  • Pilgrim Hostel of São Teotónio - Valença (closed indefinitely);
  • Santa Clara Pilgrim Hostel - Vila do Conde (closed until 25.03 until new situation assessment).
source (in Portuguese): https://www.facebook.com/groups/aej.vilaverde/

"ALBERGUE SANTA CLARA
Informa-se que, por decisão da Exma. Sr.ª Presidente da Câmara Municipal, o Albergue de Santa Clara será encerrado ao público, por forma a garantir que não correr no espaço um surto de COVID-19.

Esta situação ocorre por via do Albergue ter uma grande rotatividade de pessoas de diversos países, muitos dos quais com surtos significativos da doença.

O encerramento ocorrerá entre os dias 11 de março de 25 de março, inclusive.
No dia 25 de março será feita nova avaliação da situação, decidindo pela sua abertura ao público, ou pela manutenção do encerramento. "

This is from FB group "Caminho Português da Costa " , regarding albergue Santa Clara ( Vila do Conde ) basically it will be closed between 11-25 march .
I can't find any information that can confirm this post so far ...

Moderator note: The following is a Google Translate rendering of the message
"HOSTEL SANTA CLARA
Please be informed that, by decision of Exma. Mrs. Mayor of the City Council, Albergue de Santa Clara will be closed to the public, in order to ensure that an outbreak of COVID-19 does not occur in space.

This situation occurs due to the fact that the hostel has a high turnover of people from different countries, many of whom have significant outbreaks of the disease.

The closure will take place between March 11th and March 25th, inclusive.
On March 25, a new assessment of the situation will be made, deciding whether to open it to the public, or to maintain the closure. "
I believe this is the Santa Clara of the Poor Clares

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last edited:
Closure on the Camino del Norte: A Carida municipal albergue (El Franco)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please members, we are trying to have one place on the internet where members can get an accurate picture of what albergues are being affected by the virus outbreak and news.

Interesting as it is to have a discussion about historical hospitals, it really is not relevant to this thread. Please start another one if you want to.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
At the request of the Municipality of Viseu, and by decision of the space management entity, the Farminhão Social Solidarity Association, it is hereby informed that the Albergue de FARMINHÃO will be temporarily closed due to the development of COVID - 19.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Almeria association has just posted the following message on Facebook:

Aunque la situación en el Camino Mozárabe está sin riesgo puesto que no hay ningún registro de personas enfermas en nuestros pueblos, debido a una comunicación recibida por parte de las Autoridades Sanitarias, y como medida de prevención frente al coronavirus , nos vemos obligados a CERRAR TEMPORALMENTE DESDE EL DOMINGO 15 (INCLUSIVE) LOS ALBERGUES MUNICIPALES DE PEREGRINOS DEL CAMINO MOZÁRABE EN : RIOJA, SANTA CRUZ DE MARCHENA, OCAÑA, ABLA, HUÉNEJA Y TOCÓN DE QUÉNTAR.

EL ALBERGUE DE LA PEZA POR DIRECTRICES MUNICIPALES PERMANECERÁ CERRADO DESDE HOY.
mas información en los teléfonos de contacto de la asociación +622 293413/ +34 619860198/ +615952763/+661226247/+649806150

Google Translation:

Although the situation on the Mozarabic Way is without risk since there is no record of sick people in our towns, due to a communication received from the Health Authorities, and as a preventive measure against the coronavirus, we are forced to CLOSE TEMPORARILY FROM SUNDAY 15 (INCLUSIVE) THE MUNICIPAL PILGRIM ALBERGUES OF CAMINO MOZÁRABE IN: RIOJA, SANTA CRUZ DE MARCHENA, OCAÑA, ABLA, HUÉNEJA AND QUÉNTAR TOCÓN.

THE LA PEZA HOSTEL BY MUNICIPAL GUIDELINES WILL REMAIN CLOSED AS OF TODAY.
More information on the contact phones of the association +622 293413 / +34 619860198 / + 615952763 / + 661226247 / + 649806150

Does anyone have information about the Camino del Norte albergues? Planned to start from 9 of April from Santander.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Does anyone have information about the Camino del Norte albergues? Planned to start from 9 of April from Santander.
Just one verified closure to date, Casa Xica, see above.

Camino Catalan closures.

Edited by Moderator. Google translation:

ATTENTION PILGRIMS CATALAN ROAD THROUGH SAN JUAN DE LA PEÑA.
We have just been informed that the Tamarite de Litera and Huesca hostels have closed due to covid-19. Others are likely to follow.
It is essential to take it into account if you decide to go on the road on these dates.

Francés. La Parada, Reliegos. Closed by order of health authority of Mansilla de las Muelas. Presumably the others in their área are subject to same closure order.
The official statement certainly says "albergues" but does not specify which ones by name.

News of closures is now arriving from a number of different routes. Personal comments and opinions on this thread make it excessively long and difficult to find the relevant information. A number of more general posts have been deleted. Please use this thread ONLY to report albergue closures.

Is it only the albergues that close? Is it still possible tot staat in a hostel of b&b?
Normaly I leave Belgium on april 1th to the Central Route of the Camino Portugues from Porto. Ik hope things will be more under controle then.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Cocurbion ( Camino finisterra)ust closed, a hospitelra there who is in my Camino Geira Wsttsapp group just told us

Fraternidad Internacional del Camino de Santiago (FICS) and the Ayuntamiento de Grado agreed today that Albergue Villa de Grado on the Camino Primitivo will close Monday morning 16 March, and remain closed for at least the following month.

Is it only the albergues that close? Is it still possible tot staat in a hostel of b&b?
Normaly I leave Belgium on april 1th to the Central Route of the Camino Portugues from Porto. Ik hope things will be more under controle then.

You should call private accommodations yourself for information.

Sorry I think it is the San Roque Albergue there, she was volunteering, I know she has been a volunteer at Herbon in the past so I assumed it was Galician amigos Albergue.

Albergue owners make the decisions about their closures, subject always to the laws and decisions of various levels of government. Some organizations operate more than one albergue, and so a closure decision might affect more than one albergue.

For hostales and hotels, it might be possible tonight at a particular hostel, but not tomorrow. We don't know.

Tomas's albergue in Manjarin is not accepting pilgrims overnight but he is still offering coffee to those passing by. Tomas also reports that Ave Fenix in Villafranca del Bierzo is now closed too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bradypus,
I am wondering if there is a possibility of making this more like the aprinca Winter Albergue link? It is easy to navigate and easily see. Perhaps Ivar has an idea of how to do that?
Janet

There is a woman at an Albergue who compiles the winter list every year, she spends a lot of time doing it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am wondering if there is a possibility of making this more like the aprinca Winter Albergue link? It is easy to navigate and easily see. Perhaps Ivar has an idea of how to do that?
Sure it could be done, in theory, but someone would need to create the list, confirm the information, update it daily, and post it. Even then it would be out-of-date very quickly. I don't think that is feasible. People who are on the camino now, or planning to go, need to take responsibility for getting information on the ground.

Closed are, so far,
A Carida (El Franco)
Sobrado dos Monxes
Casa Xica

Please reconsider walking and help to prevent further spread of the virus!
SY

Bradypus,
Janet

Sure it could be done, in theory, but someone would need to create the list, confirm the information, update it daily, and post it. Even then it would be out-of-date very quickly. I don't think that is feasible. People who are on the camino now, or planning to go, need to take responsibility for getting information on the ground.

I just started one here: http://egeria.house/albergues-closed-due-to-covid-19/

Very much still a work in progress and not pretty, but I will keep it up to date. Sad times, never thought I see the Camino closing down ...
BC SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The towns of Igualada and Vilanova del Camí and Santa Margarida de Montbui on the Camí Catalan & Camino Ignaciano have been placed in complete quarantine isolation for two weeks, nobody allowed in or out of town. It goes without saying that the Albergue at Igualada is closed for business.

Last edited:
Agora Hostel in Estella is closing for a few days:

"We believe that it is everyone's responsibility to collaborate to resolve this situation; and that is why ÁgoraHostel decided yesterday at the last minute to close voluntarily for a few days. Hoping that our effort together with that of many other people in our country will help to improve the situation as soon as possible. We hope to open soon."

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Refugio Gaucelmo, Rabanal, will not be reopening on 1 April as planned.

News of closures is now coming very quickly. This thread only gives a partial overview of the situation. It seems very likely that there will be further widespread closures soon. If you do intend to use an albergue it would be advisable to contact them directly to confirm that they are still accepting pilgrims. Do not assume that an albergue is still open simply because it has not been listed here as closed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Escamplero albergue closed (Primitivo)

The Xunta in Galicia are reducing the number of beds available to 1/3 of capacity but so far have not decided to close their albergues.

Camino de Levante: Albergues de Canals and Moixent closed.

Update 17h: also closed La Pobla Llarga, La Font de la Figuera, La Roda, Las Pedroneras according to AACS-Valencia, I.e. All public albergues in Valencia and Albacete

Last edited:
VDLP - Cubo de Tierra del Vino - Albergue Torre de Sabre

We want to inform you that, due to the state of emergency, of all known, the Hostel Torre de Sabre, we will close our facilities until further order, which we hope is as soon as possible.
In these difficult times, we must live up to the circumstances and have citizen awareness, for the good of all.
We want to express to you that, if something we can contribute, we put ourselves in the hands of the competent authorities.
Greetings from you
Maria Dolores Santos Serrano

€149,-
Zamora municipal albergue closed (Via de la Plata)

"Hi Annie. Yes, we have had to close the hostel [Majalavara hostel, Carcaboso, VDLP]. I was planning to warn you tonight that you couldn't come. I'm sorry. I hope that one day everything will be solved and you return here. Greetings. Alicia. Majalavara hostel. Carcaboso. VDLP"

News from @Juanma, owner of Maralotx Albergue in Cirququi:

-- Maralotx will be closed until at least April 15, but updates will be provided.

-- Albergues in Estella are closed, both the albergue juvenil Oncineda, and Agora Hostel.

-- Albergue San Nicolás, in Larrasoña, closes for undetermined time.

-- Casa Magica in Villatuerta remains open unless requested to shut down by authorities (as per personal phone conversation between @Juanma and owners)

Roncesvalles - the albergue is closed until further notice according to their Facebook page: "From tomorrow and until further notice, and very much to our regret, the Pilgrims Hostel of Roncesvalles, will remain closed to help stop the expansion of the Coronavirus.
We strongly urge you to stay in your homes.
The Way will not move from siege and there will always be time to do it.
Sorry for the inconvenience."

20.11Pubs y discotecas, cerrados
Salas de fiestas, discotecas, pubs, polideportivos, albergues del camino de Santiago, piscinas, salas de fiestas y furanchos quedan cerrados.

I just read the above, on the live update feed of the la voz de Galicia, I have no idea how they will implement..

From another thread: It was just reported by the President in Galicia that all public albergues in Galicia will be closing down.

More here:

I had sent a WhatsApp to check on the albergue in Nava Del Rey for @OzAnnie. Just got back an announcement that all Levante-Sureste Albergues in the province of Valladolid are closed. Good thing Annie is on her way home.
7EFA7CFF-68E3-4686-948D-D5FD0DF041B2.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Zamorano Portugues: "Albergues de Ricobayo, Fontanillas, Tábara: cerrados hasta finales de marzo/CLOSED until end of March. At the end of March the situation will be reviewed. Other albergues in the area will also close. "

Camí Catalan & Camino Ignaciano -- The regional government of Catalonia is locking down to a great extent the whole of the Region, including closing down all bars and restaurants, schools and universities, for 15 days at least ; it has requested of the central Spanish government that it may be allowed to shut down most public transport. It is extremely likely, but I have been unable to verify it, that all pilgrim albergues & refugios are now closed in the Region. Quim Torra has requested of the Spanish Government that he may be allowed to prevent anyone entering or exiting Catalonia, and to institute Region-wide travel restrictions. http://www.elpuntavui.cat/societat/article/14-salut/1757801-la-seguretat-es-dins-de-casa.html -- El president de la Generalitat, Quim Torra, va fer una compareixença amb caràcter extraordinari ahir al vespre per demanar el confinament de tot Catalunya, amb la restricció de les entrades i sortides del país per evitar una propagació del virus i el consegüent “collapse” del sistema sanitari. El govern vol anticiparse a una evolució “massa ràpida” del coronavirus a Catalunya.

Camino Mozarabe - Badajoz region
Multiple albergues and refuges closed - Monterrubio de La Serena, Campanario, La Haba

NOTICE! If you are on the road, you need to know that the public hostels of Monterrubio de La Serena and Castuera and the Pilgrims Refuge of Campanario are closed due to the health alert caused by the coronavirus COVID-19. If you are between Almería and Merida, We recommend that you check out this accommodation guide (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XFtMDTWfh9l17g3jEw1V6LZToclPpumk/view) and call on the phone before starting the next stage if you decide to continue the path. If you are on the Via de la Plata or the Sanabrés Camino, this is the guide we recommend you to consult: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_hY81wQpPQATTE2YjQ0ZFlZM2c/view And remember that for any urgency you can call the phone 112

Breaking News! Campanario Albergue and La Haba Albergue are also closing.

¡AVISO! Si estás en el camino, debes conocer que los Albergues públicos de Monterrubio de La Serena y Castuera y el Refugio de Peregrinos de Campanario están cerrados debido a la alerta sanitaria causada por el coronavirus COVID-19. Si te encuentras entre Almería y Mérida, te recomendamos que consultes esta guía de alojamientos (https://drive.google.com/…/1XFtMDTWfh9l17g3jEw1V6LZToc…/view) y que llames por teléfono antes de comenzar la etapa siguiente si decides continuar el camino. Si estás en la Vía de la Plata o el Camino Sanabrés, esta es la guía que te recomendamos consultar: https://drive.google.com/…/0B_hY81wQpPQATTE2YjQ0ZFlZM2c/view Y recuerda que para cualquier urgencia puedes llamar al teléfono 112

¡Última hora! También cierra el Albergue de Campanario y el Albergue de La Haba.

At this point, that's moot. The whole country goes into lockdown Monday.
This from @Rebekah Scott on another thread:
We're spending our weekend getting pilgrims OFF the Camino Frances and Madrid and on their road back home.
Pilgrims still wandering around on Monday may be picked up by police -- all non-essential travel is banned starting at 8 a.m.
If you're on the camino, leave asap by whatever means you can by Monday. If you are still thonking of coming, don't.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
News from @Juanma, owner of Maralotx Albergue in Cirauqui:

-- Maralotx will be closed until at least April 15, but updates will be provided.

-- Albergues in Estella are closed, both the albergue juvenil Oncineda, and Agora Hostel.

-- Albergue San Nicolás, in Larrasoña, closes for undetermined time.

-- Casa Magica in Villatuerta remains open unless requested to shut down by authorities (as per personal phone conversation between @Juanma and owners)
Updating up to where I know: the Albergue Municipal in Estella is also closed (since some days ago), as all other municipal services in Estella; also since yesterday, all bars and restaurants in Estella are shut down.

Casa Magica, although I haven't checked with them since a couple of days ago, is supposed to be closed now too, as there is a government command to do so since yesterday.

Actually, all albergues in Spain are supposed to be closed since last evening, so really no one should be comming to do the Camino now, and those still in it should find their way home as soon as possible. Contract your embassy online or by telephone and ask for instructions as to how to proceed.

Let's hope this will pass in no more than a month or so and we can all go back to our normal lives, and pilgrims can come back to the Camino.

Take care all,

Let's hope this will pass in no more than a month or so and we can all go back to our normal lives, and pilgrims can come back to the Camino.
I worry about a resurgence of the virus if we let down our guard and go back to our "normal" lives. The virus isn't going to just die out.

I worry about a resurgence of the virus if we let down our guard and go back to our "normal" lives. The virus isn't going to just die out.
Of course; we shall all follow the instructions of the relevant authorities and all will be done in order to fight the risk of the disease staying around. I wrote "a month", but actually it looks like it will be more like 2-3 months, unfortunately
In Spain at the moment everyone is supposed to stay home except for some situations, like going to work (if you are allowed), shopping for food, medicines, taking care of the elderly or needed, etc...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In Spain at the moment everyone is supposed to stay home except for some situations, like going to work (if you are allowed), shopping for food, medicines, taking care of the elderly or needed, etc...
A camino is not one of the exceptions. So the final push is given:
walking or biking a camino in Spain is now forbidden

Not sure of the precise situation in France at present time, as there are technically no internal travel restrictions in place (though they are under discussion) , apart from some lightening of public transport timetables from the lowered demand and reduced personnel (mainly people needing to stay at home to look after children). However, given the overall shutdown of State-organised social premises, it's rather certain that at least all the municipal hostels in France are closed.

EDIT : France will be in complete lockdown from midday today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.