A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

COVID COVID-19: Corona virus discussion (ROUND 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
More minimal politics, and again, sorry.

One Spanish political party has brought the Government to revise down its preferred extension of one month of the State of Alarm to two weeks (politics to be found following, just a link for the curious and/or interested, not any kind of spur to discussion : https://elpais.com/espana/2020-05-1...prorrogar-la-alarma-hasta-el-27-de-junio.html ).

So that Spain's lockdown may come to an end at midnight on June 7th. Not the 27th as the Government had wanted.

Therefore, as things stand now politically, and far more importantly as they stand Camino-wise, Spain will have exited the current State of Alarm on the morning of Monday June 8th. :cool:

In any case, the current State of Alarm is now set to be extended to June 7th.

LTfit

Veteran Member
More minimal politics, and again, sorry.

One Spanish political party has brought the Government to revise down its preferred extension of one month of the State of Alarm to two weeks (politics to be found following, just a link for the curious and/or interested, not any kind of spur to discussion : https://elpais.com/espana/2020-05-1...prorrogar-la-alarma-hasta-el-27-de-junio.html ).

So that Spain's lockdown may come to an end at midnight on June 7th. Not the 27th as the Government had wanted.

Therefore, as things stand now politically, and far more importantly as they stand Camino-wise, Spain will have exited the current State of Alarm on the morning of Monday June 8th. :cool:

In any case, the current State of Alarm is now set to be extended to June 7th.
Don't hold your breath. This is the 5th extension. Who says there won't be a 6th?
And anyway, the voting has not yet taken place. As they say, it's not done till it's done.

Barbara

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte (twice)and Primitivo, Sureste, In France From home Tours and Vézelay, also Le Puy.
Ah, masks. Yes, well. I've been able to do a little flying this week. Club aeroplanes. First thing we found was that a cloth mask didn't work too well with a headset. So, the mask went over the microphone. Bit of an air leak, but fair enough, we were both facing forward. Two instructors flying together. Hmmm. Might be worse than covid, that. But we, and the aircraft, survived. After landing, fuel and tidy up. Wet wipes don't work on fabric. Really, they don't. Spent longer disinfecting than flying. Ah well. Camping it is, then. Less time spent disinfecting.

Josh G

Camino(s) past & future
CDN, 2014; Partial CDN, 2015; CP 2018; CP 2020
Thanks for your replies! Another question: assuming, hypothetically, Spain and Portugal do open to international travel in mid-June, how many municipal albergues will even be open? I imagine few will be.

Barbara

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte (twice)and Primitivo, Sureste, In France From home Tours and Vézelay, also Le Puy.
Hi Josh. Think you are getting into crystal ball territory here....

Josh G

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Barbara, thanks for your reaction. I'm asking because I thought many experienced pilgrims on here might be in touch with some of the albergues. Just seeing if anyone knows anything ...

Josh G

Camino(s) past & future
Why so uptight? Chill. It's not a speculative question. Questions asking for facts cannot be speculative. Only answers can. If you don't like the question or don't know the answer, just ignore it.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (own way; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
I'm asking because I thought many experienced pilgrims on here might be in touch with some of the albergues. Just seeing if anyone knows anything ...
I think most of us here get our news from the media ☺. As far as European countries including Spain and the Spanish regions are concerned, my impression is that pretty much everything is unclear and uncertain as far as the next couple of months are concerned and the various plans and prognosis seem to change nearly daily.

There is a clear push from tourism stakeholders everywhere to open things up again pronto.

As far as publicly owned pilgrim albergues go, Galicia is probably the region with the densest albergues net; they have 70 albergues with about 3000 beds. Núñez Feijóo, the president of the regional government of Galicia, said yesterday that the albergues of the Camino de Santiago in Galicia could possibly be opened at the end of June.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
EU directives have been decided so that people on long flights will need to change face masks every 4 hours ...

(though I'm a bit mystified as to how this might be enforced when an aircraft neither based in an EU member state nor belonging to nor operated by a company based in an EU member state is located over international waters ... )

Barbara

Camino(s) past & future
(though I'm a bit mystified as to how this might be enforced when an aircraft neither based in an EU member state nor belonging to nor operated by a company based in an EU member state is located over international waters ... )
it would come under the laws of the country of registration of the aircraft.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (own way; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
Last edited:

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
hmmmm ... I've just found out, that due to my handicap status, I was not actually subjected to the lockdown rules as they existed in France, and that I could in fact have gone out on my training hikes with no 1K radius limit nor any time limit. grrrr !! I wish I had known this at the time !! :rolleyes:

Lirsy

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
As it was forecast, today most of Spain has advanced to the next step in the de-escalation of the quarantine.

Even if we have to remain cautious and observe the evolution of the pandemic, it appears that the opening of the Camino for late June or early July is one step closer.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
Oh well -- from June 8th, anyone entering the UK from abroad, including UK nationals, will be subjected to a 14-day quarantine, except for those traveling from Eire, Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands.

Consequently, a 14-day quarantine measure starting on the same date will be imposed upon those entering France from the UK, and for as long as the UK quarantine measures shall persist.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
Much of Spain will be entering "phase 2" on Monday 25th May.

But Castilla Y Léon will be remaining in phase 1.

Madrid will go from phase 0 to phase 1, and most likely Barcelona as well.

In phase 2 - https://www.elconfidencial.com/espa...-2-desescalada-que-hacer-actividades_2593319/ - those inside those regions will be able to :

Practice sports without limitations in Communities smaller than 10,000 inhabitants ; according to timetables in larger ones

Go to restaurants

Join social groups of up to 15 people

Collective activities of up to 50 people indoors, 100 people outdoors will be allowed

Religious services are permitted up to 50% capacity

Shopping centres will be allowed to reopen

Permitted capacity in open air markets is increased to 40%

As well as the already opened Libraries and Museums, cinemas, theatres, and auditorium will reopen to 33% capacity

Tourism permissions i.e. "el turismo activo y de naturaleza" will be extended to permit larger groups than in phase 1

Swimming pools and beaches are reopening, to 30% capacity

Professional sports are authorised, but without any spectators at the sports venues

(hotels are already open)

---

Unrestricted travel is still forbidden, and still unlikely to be permitted before June 22nd -- unless Parliament were to refuse to extend the State of Alarm beyond June 7th or some other date in June.

Nevertheless, a purely Galician Camino by those ordinarily and officially resident there, including those returning to Galicia from elsewhere, may technically already be possible, and will become even moreso starting Monday. Though these are very likely the only people (except I suppose diplomatic staff having diplomatic immunity) who might theoretically be able to do one, though my guess is that there would be a good deal of police hassle ...

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
It's interesting to note that some of these "phase 2" permissions were initially planned for "phase 3" ; therefore, Spain has accelerated its deconfinement programme.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
FWIW I've been able to attend Mass for two weeks now in Monaco, and there's no problem whatsoever with any overcrowding or failures to meet social distancing requirements, given that most people are sensible.
Please take care out there, everyone.
Even when social distancing, people are getting sick from church services:

This virus has its own rules.

LTfit

Veteran Member
Yes, Sánchez did invite foreign tourists as of July but this was a carrot to the tourism sector. There are no details as of yet about who, from where and in what conditions. These minor details need to be worked out on a EU or country by country basis.

This is a step but do not assume that you will be walking the Camino in July.

Only tomorrow can we in all of Castilla y León move into Fase 1, many of us were still in Fase 0.

@JabbaPapa even though Galicia will be moving to Phase 2, it's my understanding that you can not freely move around different areas within Galician.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
@JabbaPapa even though Galicia will be moving to Phase 2, it's my understanding that you can not freely move around different areas within Galician.
Thank you, I did see that detail too after my post.

Still, the Inglés is IIRC all in the A Coruña Province, and anyway the Fisterra/Muxia to Compostela route certainly is. But yes, you're right, it's only inhabitants of A Coruña Province who might walk one legally from tomorrow, and provided they remain entirely within the Province.

There's an interview/article here, from the president of the Fraternidad Internacional del Camino de Santiago, about the future of the post-Covid19 Camino : https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/es/blog/fics-la-acogida-tradicional-mantendra-vivo-el-camino

Among such items as proposing that things should return to a more traditional, historic form of pilgrimage, including extended the minimum distance to 300K, he does suggest that the reopening of the Camino will be when pilgrims return to it, not when the Government decides. He suggests that for the foreseeable future, there are likely to be far fewer pilgrims than in recent years.

Here's some unrelated video : https://www.antena3.com/programas/t...isterra_202005185ec2d47bf0667a0001cdadd0.html

LTfit

Veteran Member
Yes, read that interview. Don't confuse FICS with the Spanish Federation (Federación Española de los Amigos del Camino de Santiago) which trains and places hospitaletos in donativo albergues along the Camino.

The FICS brought up the topic of extending the Compostela rule to 300 km last year or the year before. They may wish this to happen but have no authority to do such but for sure they will keep bringing the topic up.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
Some potentially good news (great actually, if true).

A study in Singapore has concluded that a person infected with COVID-19 becomes contagious around two days before symptoms show.

The study then holds that the patients then remain contagious for between seven and ten days after they start showing signs of the disease, after which they are no longer contagious, even if they still have symptoms and test positive for the virus.

So the length of time during which someone is contagious is about 10-11 days.

If it can be verified, then it may be able to free up beds in hospitals more quickly and efficiently.

But more importantly, it would mean that risk of infection in the general population may be far lower than had been thought.

Lirsy

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
Authorities today announced the start of tourist flights to certain areas of Spain on June 22.

One more step ...

This does not mean that the opening of the borders (and international flights) could be sooner or later depending on the evolution of the pandemic.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Take note :) ... a quote from an article on simplyflying.com about the ever-changing situation:

The global health crisis is continuing to evolve every single day, and governments keep updating their travel policies. This month, several European authorities have been sharing that they are relaxing restrictions. Ultimately, airlines may be struggling to keep up with the constant revisions. Additionally, it is hard for passengers to confirm what the most up to date guideline is as countries are continually changing their measures.
The reason for this comment is the tale of a commercial/tourist flight two days ago on Saturday 23 May: A Eurowings (owned by Lufthansa) flight was heading to Olbia in Sardinia from Düsseldorf. As the Airbus A320 approached the Olbia airport, it was told to divert back home again. Apparently, the Italian Ministry for Transport did reopen the airport for commercial air travel to the island but a few hours later the region decided to withdraw that decision. When the crew departed from Düsseldorf, they thought they had clearance.

There were two passengers on the flight, spreading themselves out over the 180 seats. Four hours there and back, and I hope that they had great views when crossing the Alps and approaching the Med. :)

Last edited:

Luka

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pelgrimspad I, Via Monastica, Via Podiensis, Via de la Plata, Camino Francés, Camino del Norte...
1590412372947.png

This is the latest I read. The quarantine for foreign tourists will be lifted the 1st of July. It still leaves some questions unanswered.

Luka

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pelgrimspad I, Via Monastica, Via Podiensis, Via de la Plata, Camino Francés, Camino del Norte...
As it was forecast, today most of Spain has advanced to the next step in the de-escalation of the quarantine.

Even if we have to remain cautious and observe the evolution of the pandemic, it appears that the opening of the Camino for late June or early July is one step closer.
To be a bit more precise:
- About half of Spain has just entered phase 1 today
- The other half entered phase 2 today (apart from some smaller islands that already entered that fase last week)

There are supposed to be 3 phases, all lasting at least 2 weeks. After the 3rd phase Spain will be in 'the new normal'. That would most likely have been the moment to lift travel restrictions. Now it seems that they are speeding up a bit. With the original scedule Madrid and Barcelona couldn't reach 'the new normal' before the 6th of July.

The state of alarm at least lasts until the 7th of June. It is still unclear if the government is going to try to extend it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 323 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 369 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 154 11.9%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock