• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD COVID-19: Current Camino Conditions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
What?

I haven’t been on freeway in a bit.

So, I have missed those signs.

Very happy you made it home.

Did you receive any quarantine instructions or temperature taken or anything Corona related?

They took joes temp. Not mine. Handed us handouts. Will write more later. Navigating home.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are now in Santiago airport.
All the Vueling flights this morning have been cancelled.
We are flying with Iberia and the flight is still going ahead.
Looks like we can get to London. We then will need to figure out how to get back to Australia.
This last couple of days has been moving so fast. So unlike the past 4 weeks on the Camino. We will have 2 weeks mandatory home isolation when we return and we are feeling grateful to have this time to pause and reflect on the mixed emotions from this experience.

We are now in Santiago airport.
All the Vueling flights this morning have been cancelled.
We are flying with Iberia and the flight is still going ahead.
Looks like we can get to London. We then will need to figure out how to get back to Australia.
This last couple of days has been moving so fast. So unlike the past 4 weeks on the Camino. We will have 2 weeks mandatory home isolation when we return and we are feeling grateful to have this time to pause and reflect on the mixed emotions from this experience.
Things are pretty normal here in London, a lot of people are working from home, and i would think Air BnBs have stopped, but there are currently no restrictions on going out, entering and leaving the country as far as I know. Could well be the best way home for people with long trips back.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am gutted. In Navarette right now with my wife and 6 children and our Camino is over. We were ushered out of a playground this morning for the council workers to put up police tape around the slippery dip and swings before a brusque dismissal that the park is closed. On the way out of Logroño today people talked loudly within earshot that they don’t need pilgrims now and that ‘they’ should close all the albergues right now. Between the tame ‘Buen Caminos’ we hear is also a fear that I haven’t seen before in Spain. It’s time to leave. No idea how, but we need to leave. As I said, I’m gutted. If you can cancel now, I would suggest you do so.
To Paul (and lovely family) - our paths intertwined between Torres de Rei and Naverete - we were wondering how you were faring. We wish you a safe return. On Friday night we also left the Camino - ever grateful to friends in Santander who drove down to Navarete to collect us and drop us over the French border. The people in Posada de Ignatius couldn’t have been more welcoming and helpful (do hope that the other two guests there from Canada and USA were able to find their way safely back home). The speed with which things turned from all ok to all not ok was staggering - at home now and finding the whole situation difficult to process.

To Paul (and lovely family) - our paths intertwined between Torres de Rei and Naverete - we were wondering how you were faring. We wish you a safe return. On Friday night we also left the Camino - ever grateful to friends in Santander who drove down to Navarete to collect us and drop us over the French border. The people in Posada de Ignatius couldn’t have been more welcoming and helpful (do hope that the other two guests there from Canada and USA were able to find their way safely back home). The speed with which things turned from all ok to all not ok was staggering - at home now and finding the whole situation difficult to process.
We were discussing you and the others we met, wondering how things had gone for you. We assumed we would never know. I’m thrilled to hear that you are safely back home. We are in Madrid right now, hoping to get on a flight tomorrow evening. It was a staggeringly quick change on the ground. An example was the playground just beyond where we chatted was shut down whilst we were there. We were playing table tennis one moment and hours later we found out that our Camino was over. Pass our best wishes on to Lyn too.

I wish you and all your family a safe flight home, Paul. Let’s hope for a next time, although you have explained that it can never be what this one was to be for the entire family.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for posting an update regarding C Virus & walking the Camino Frances.
Please can you advise me whether I should be cancelling my plans to walk this May?
I am new to this, & with excitement I bought all my tickets (flight/train/bus) & paid for some accomodation ages ago.
Happy to start cancelling if necessary.
Thank you Jude

I cycled from sarria to Santiago yesterday, ready for my flight home on Thursday. I didn't see a single perregrino in the entire last 100km. I bet that's not happened in a few years!!! Now in Santiago and it's slightly surreal. The bus driver wasn't letting people in through the front door. People taking turns to go into the supermarket.

All i have to keep me company until my plane leaves is a decent kitchen! (Cheers for the recommendation Alex)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Jude, I'm not sure what we, members of the public from countries all over the world, can tell you other than what you've heard in the news.

Spain is currently in a "state of emergency", which is set to last for at least two weeks. People aren't allowed to leave their homes, except for "essential" reasons. Many flights into and out of the country have been cancelled. Who knows how long it will last? The north of Italy has been locked down for 3 weeks already, while Wuhan province in China has been in lock-down for almost 2 months!

The Spanish government are set to review/update their restrictions in two weeks' time, but given how quickly the situation is changing, it's anybody's guess what's going to happen. Even if they do partially lift the lock-down, there's no guarantee the municipalities will agree to (or be allowed to) open the albergues right away, given that these are high risk environments for contagion. As Turga says, it's very likely you'll need to cancel.

I am a member of FICS, the Fraternidad Internacional del Camino de Santiago. We are working with regional governments to deal with the pilgrim aspects of the Coronavirus lockdown.
As of today, pilgrims out walking or biking on the Caminos will be stopped and asked what their plans are. They can find a place to settle in for the next two weeks -- Many hostels officially closed are still housing pilgrims who've decided to hole up, phone them up from your guidebook. Lee Tolman's albergue in Vilares de Orbigo is still open, as is Casa de Sonrisas in Fromista. If you are in Galicia, the Junta de Galicia has opened up the massive Monte de Gozo complex to house people who are truly stranded.
OR, you can ask the nice police officers now patrolling the Way to take you somewhere that you can sit down, regroup, and find a way home.
The Junta de Castilla y Leon has set up a network of "Information Posts" in towns along The Way from Burgos province to el Bierzo. Again, ask police for help, they are (supposedly) briefed on how to deal with the few pilgrims still left out there. (one of those is here at Peaceable Kingdom in Moratinos.)
Some pilgrims are changing their itineraries, hoping to continue, but walking on is not an option, even on less-traveled trails. Police will stop you. Fines are heavy for those who refuse to cooperate.

There still are hikers out on the camino. I spoke to one this morning, and it turned out he is not a pilgrim, just a guy who's run out of money and is walking home to Mansilla de las Mulas, hoping for a ride sometime today. The Camino is an ancient highway, after all!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Jude, I'm not sure what we, members of the public from countries all over the world, can tell you other than what you've heard in the news.

Spain is currently in a "state of emergency", which is set to last for at least two weeks. People aren't allowed to leave their homes, except for "essential" reasons. Many flights into and out of the country have been cancelled. Who knows how long it will last? The north of Italy has been locked down for 3 weeks already, while Wuhan province in China has been in lock-down for almost 2 months!

The Spanish government are set to review/update their restrictions in two weeks' time, but given how quickly the situation is changing, it's anybody's guess what's going to happen. Even if they do partially lift the lock-down, there's no guarantee the municipalities will agree to (or be allowed to) open the albergues right away, given that these are high risk environments for contagion. As Turga says, it's very likely you'll need to cancel.
Thank you very much I appreciate your response.

Would anyone happen to be on the French Camino from Le Puy en Valey? We are trying to find out if it’s still open.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Would anyone happen to be on the French Camino from Le Puy en Valey? We are trying to find out if it’s still open.
The French government have closed all non-essential businesses and ordered people to stay at home except for essential journeys under threat of severe penalties. So walking a Camino route is not an option now.

France is in lockdown.

All unneccesary movement or transport will be forbidden from tomorrow for at least two weeks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Spain has now declared that they are closing ALL hotels and guest houses and foreign visitors are to be told that they must leave the country.

Further afield the UAE are banning all citizens from leaving the country - I assume due to fear of what they might bring back with them when they return .. is possible that this national first may spread to other countries.

Spain has now declared that they are closing ALL hotels and guest houses and foreign visitors are to be told that they must leave the country.

Further afield the UAE are banning all citizens from leaving the country - I assume due to fear of what they might bring back with them when they return .. is possible that this national first may spread to other countries.
UAE is also preventing re-entry of expats, even if they have a residence visa.

Hello Shirley! I am the Canadian :) and happy to report that myself, Al (the American) and 3 other pilgrims were able to make it via taxi to Bilbao airport the next morning and everyone is home safe and sound. Very glad that you were able to make it home also.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Shirley! I am the Canadian :) and happy to report that myself, Al (the American) and 3 other pilgrims were able to make it via taxi to Bilbao airport the next morning and everyone is home safe and sound. Very glad that you were able to make it home also.
Thank you for letting us know you got safely him. Keep on keeping safe! Shirley

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.