• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD COVID-19: Current Camino Conditions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I thought all the alliteration would get people's attention. This is a thread for pilgrims who are actually on the camino to feel free to post descriptions of what they see and experience. I know a few have been posted in other threads, and I will do my best to move them over here.

This kind of real-time information should prove helpful as the uncertain trajectory of the illness continues to unfold. We trust you guys to keep the discussion limited to this particular topic -- reports from people on the Camino.

Many thanks, buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is a post from @Levi earlier today in the closed thread.
Folks - I'm on the Camino Frances - just leaving Pamplona this morning. Everything is as normal on the camino. At Roncesvalles there were approximately 40 pilgrims which I would think is average for this time of year. The albergues that open at this time of the year are open. Everything is calm and quiet...except the weather!
If anything changes I'll post again.

Reposting an accidentally deleted post: Today (Mar 4) I flew from Rome Fiumicino to Lisbon and I was a bit surprised that there were no special measures related to corona virus at either airport. Last week (Feb 26) when I flew the other way, into Rome Ciampino, all passengers had their temperature taken upon arrival.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I flew from Oz into Madrid on Monday mar 2..
Business as usual. No different to a normal trip. Only saw a handful of masks being worn during that flight at airports .

Last 3 days I have spent in Toledo (35 mins train trip from Madrid ).
Absolutely normal here. Lots of tourists groups following their leaders etc. people doing their normal day duties. Everyone is happy

Good thread idea.
Annie

anybody currently along camino scene any signs of hoarding, impact on getting basics?

I live in Palencia province, on the Camino Frances, the heart of the Way. It is very calm and quiet here. All the hysteria seems to be overseas, where everyone is glued to their news feeds all day. I have seen no signs of panic buying or hoarding. The supermarket shelves are well-stocked, bars and hotels and restaurants are open, and pilgrim numbers steadily climbing as spring arrives.
People ARE very aware of the illness, and the sensational morning news programs are doing their usual number on it. My only real concern is getting volunteer hospitalero staff here to Spain from places like Italy and South Korea -- without hospitaleros, we don't have an albergue! Only time will tell.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I live in Palencia province, on the Camino Frances, the heart of the Way. It is very calm and quiet here. All the hysteria seems to be overseas, where everyone is glued to their news feeds all day. I have seen no signs of panic buying or hoarding. The supermarket shelves are well-stocked, bars and hotels and restaurants are open, and pilgrim numbers steadily climbing as spring arrives.
People ARE very aware of the illness, and the sensational morning news programs are doing their usual number on it. My only real concern is getting volunteer hospitalero staff here to Spain from places like Italy and South Korea -- without hospitaleros, we don't have an albergue! Only time will tell.
Harumph...it's always quiet in Palencia....That said, it's all good in my part of Castille-Leon too. Here's a site with up to date news in English. https://www.thelocal.es/

I'm currently in Leon walking the Frances and so far the usual albergues for this time of year are open. Lots of Italians, South Koreans and Germans about, also a few Chinese, however, none of us are sick at this time. And in usual Camino fashion, everyone is accepting everyone.
We are taking more hygiene precautions than we usually would, with more thorough hand washing and using hand sanitizer.
One thing that we have found is its very hard to find hand sanitizer. So, if you want to use sanitizer, bring it from home.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We are doing fine on the VDLP. Nobody here seems too concerned. We see very few masks and feel it’s important to remember those who have died here so far are in their 80’s, 90’s and /or have had serious underlying health issues to begin with. We are washing our hands constantly, using Clorox wipes when we feel it’s necessary. We are peeling all fruit. We don’t feel afraid nor threatened. Both Joe and I feel we had just as much or MORE chance catching the flu at home as here where we are exposed to fewer people, most of whom are healthy walkers. We are being alert. No hugs or shaking hands. But lots of friendly conversation. We don’t regret our decision to come. But each person must listen to their own gut. There is no ‘one size fits all’ in this decision. You each know your own body, fears, and limitations. But I will say I’ve enjoyed hearing much less blaring shocking news about this virus since being on Camino. It’s been refreshing.

We have been on the Norte for four weeks now. Not many peregrinos and no sign of korona virus. We’ll be in Santiago next tuesday. I hope that it does not catch us on our way back home.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am sitting in The Elvis Bar in Reliegos. There's 4 of us total in the municipal albergue. Besides the lack of some Pilgrims there is pretty much no talk of the virus. Everything is normal. I would elaborate more if I could, but it's just normal for us. Very is easy to get a good bunk, though!!! 😁

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just walked from Reliegos to Leon. Everything, again, is normal.
Everyone is being cautious and aware, though. Hands are rarely being shook at initial introductions and if they are, we are unashamed in our immediate use of hand sanitizer. We always offer hand sanitizer and it has not been declined once. 🙂 Buen Camino!

Gronze has an article today about current conditions on the Camino

Thanks, Trecile, this is very interesting.

For those who do not speak or read Spanish, that aticle reports three interesting things

1. Gronze's own reservation site has seen a 61% decrease from last year in reservations between Feb. 24 and Mar. 6. Most cancelling are from US, Canada, Japan, Australia and Korea.

2. Via Francigena has 12 stages that are in the "mandatory quarantine zone" until the 3rd of April.

3. The albergues of Albergaria and Coimbra have closed, officially because of coronavirus, though both had management problems. Barcelos' albergue has reduced its offering to 20 beds and has a contingency plan in place.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

€149,-
We are walking the Via Serrana, currently in Coripe, with five more days to Seville. No sign of panic or the virus in any place that we’ve been. We then plan to carry on to Santiago on the VdlP.
I asked a local here yesterday if we should stop our journey and go home or continue .....he was surprised I asked the question. Continue was his answer.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Got my pilgrim passport from Porto Cathedral today no problem, but the tourist office in Matoshinos (where I hoped to get a stamp) was closed because of corona virus. Got one from my hotel so no problem, but I wonder, has anyone currently on the route had any issues with getting stamps?

FYI for you on the Camino...I live in Washington state and President Trump just now announced that travel from Europe into the USA will no longer be allowed for the next 30 days. This is unprecedented. We are all living in the making of profound and legendary history. Buen Camino my friends. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/world/coronavirus-news.html

Ahh, but-- ..."Right Now [19.08 US West Coast time] - President Trump said he would be suspending all travel from Europe for the next 30 days starting Friday. The restrictions will not apply to Britain."
PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY - a direct quote from the NY Times.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
To any US pilgrim who is out on the camino now, I do not know how you will manage to stay calm and carry on, but the Department of Homeland Security (which is in charge of security at the airports) has said that the ban does not apply to US nationals. We can all joke about being stuck in Spain for a month, but I am sure that for those who are there it is no laughing matter.

The U.S. statement refers to the Schengen Area as the region in respect of which the new travel restrictions apply, rather than "Europe" or the EU as such. If I'm reading it correctly, therefore, flights to the U.S. should continue from Ireland as well as from Britain.

To any US pilgrim who is out on the camino now, I do not know how you will manage to stay calm and carry on- We can all joke about being stuck in Spain for a month, but I am sure that for those who are there it is no laughing matter.
I am not a US citizen but being Ozzie over here now in Spain trying to unravel similar msgs being sent to me from Oz - it’s not easy.

I’ve been sent newslinks similar from Australian perspective but I’d like to know whether flights to Sydney are still proceeding ‘out of’ Madrid and open to land in Sydney.

I know only valid links are approved on this thread but I personally would like to be able to read information. It’s sometimes very difficult opening links on weak wifi when travelling .

Also Laurie., I agree; when reading the link Trump does say your us citizens will be ok to return (in general ). I hope this applies to Oz too.

Jill @Kanga what’s your understanding of the Ozzie restrictions at the moment ?

Annie

Last edited:

€149,-
I am not a US citizen but being Ozzie over here now in Spain trying to unravel similar msgs being sent to me from Oz - it’s not easy.

I’ve been sent newslinks similar from Australian perspective but I’d like to know whether flights to Sydney are still proceeding ‘out of’ Madrid and open to land in Sydney.

I know only valid links are approved on this thread but I personally would like to be able to read information. It’s sometimes very difficult opening links on weak wifi when travelling .

Also Laurie., I agree; when reading the link Trump does say your us citizens will be ok to return (in general ). I hope this applies to Oz too.

Jill @Kanga what’s your understanding of the Ozzie restrictions at the moment ?

Annie
Annie, I've sent you a PM.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello all,
Moderators thank you so much for your hard work, since the nature of this forum (any forum really) is personal advice and speculation on the topic of the Camino de Santiago, trying to keep this hot topic factual is a daunting task. I will try to keep my comments to my personal experience ( which to me is fact....) after two nights in public Albergues in Irun and last night in Deba on the Camino del Norte. I will state up front that my personal decision is to go home after last night's experience. I live in A Coruña so this is an easier decision for me than many many others but still not a decision I made lightly.
Both albergues are being proactive
C3DBCBA0-B020-44A9-BD38-5420B713CFFD.jpeg76F08A49-4312-428E-8EA9-D18FBE527F4C.jpeg
These signs are posted all over both Albergues. Here are my experiences, even though two rooms were available in Deba we we all in one room in close contact, They could have spread us out a little more, I will stop by the tourist office in Deba and suggest this.... Also I watched numerous pilgrims leave the bathroom and even with all those signs they didn't wash their hands.. I have lived in Spain so I am used to this but I world have thought as pilgrims we would take care of each other. Also lots and lots coughing and hacking with no 'catching'. Fellow pilgrims, we as well at the albergues need to think of our elderly and sickly everywhere not just on the cambio.
So as others have said out here on the Camino everything is normal but that is going both ways. I have read here on the board that Portugal is closing Albergues. I can't speculate about here in Spain.
Ok I think I better stop and I hope I have kept with in the guidelines.
I leave you with my last picture
B699C307-0B4B-4640-B4FF-E53C7FEDEBE7.jpeg
Sunset in Deba on the Norte
Buen camino todos,
MaryEllen

Attachments

• 680B0150-3104-4C9D-825B-CA2864BC438E.jpeg
    680B0150-3104-4C9D-825B-CA2864BC438E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 3553516A-FA70-4CAE-AD91-E980D2DAF94D.jpeg
    3553516A-FA70-4CAE-AD91-E980D2DAF94D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • F2718339-03F0-4001-9C4C-B2A968071ED1.jpeg
    F2718339-03F0-4001-9C4C-B2A968071ED1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Is anyone on the Portugese coastal route at the moment and are all the albrgues still open? Me and my friend are flying out to Porto on the March 20th and will start walking 21st.

I would also like to thank the moderators, it is a challenge keeping the posts on track. Although I have already made my decision to postpone my Camino plans for the time being I am still interested in hearing first hand experience from pilgrims on the Way.
Buen Camino and Keep safe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have now reached Astorga and echo what Ballari and Yombort17 say, above in this thread. The numbers are quite a bit lighter than usual (I walk this stretch around the same time in spring each year) and there seems to be an underlying sense of fear amongst the locals - not so much those walking the trail. Lots of hand sanitizers to be seen bars and shops, which is good..... Leon was "buzzing" yesterday/today with concern as released viral infection numbers have suddenly ramped up there apparently.

Albergue owners /operators are concerned, I think, as to how this new season will pan out. Tonight I am alone in an Albergue, last night I was just one of six in a huge Albergue, and one of just two in another pretty big Albergue two nights back.

Incidentally, it is very sad to see the way that South Koreans are being treated. I was invited to share a meal by a lovely Korean father and 10 year old son and he said "It's okay if you don't want to." Very sad to hear that and all that he told me - they are being treated like lepers of past eras, I feel. I happily joined them and enjoyed great fellowship and a great meal! Have spent quite some time with them. They are just pilgrims, like all of us. If you are on the trail, perhaps be especially kind to the Asian Group on Camino! They are feeling extra alienated.

I and those around me walking feel that the Camino is actually currently one of the best and safest places to be. Concern is expressed for when in larger more densely populated areas and, of course, for the eventual travel back home.

Is anyone on the Portugese coastal route at the moment and are all the albrgues still open? Me and my friend are flying out to Porto on the March 20th and will start walking 21st.

Kristi, if you read the ‘Closed Albergues’ thread you will see several albergues on the Portuguese route are closed. I am on the VDLP right now and honestly if Joe and I had known that things were going to escalate this quickly, we may have canceled our plans. But here we are. . .Wondering whether Albergues north of here will be open or if we will be looking for a place to stay until time to leave and then whether or not we will be able to fly home and when. Right now there are just too many unknowns. We are riding the wave and being flexible. We are hoping that we will be able to continue to Astorga and that the worst of this will blow over before we get there. You need to follow your own gut, but as I said, if I had this to do over again, knowing what I know now, we may just have canceled our plans.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello again,
I am sitting in the Bilbao airport heading home to self quarantine me and my family, the Xunta of Galicia has closed schools, my orchestra has been suspended, this was done to keep it contained not give us time off. No I am not sick nor do I feel sick. My decision to leave is absolutely easier for me to make since home is Galicia and was made last night before I woke up to these closures.
My decision was made as I lay in a lower bunk with a fellow pilgrim hacking above me. No I don't think he was sick but both before and after this I witnessed the disregard for the displayed posters asking us to be over vigilant. The truth is we should always be over vigilant when sharing living quarters. I left because of the behavior of my fellow pilgrims, while we are out walking in the beautiful countryside it is easy to forget our interactions with 'the locals' all it takes is one coin passed from you to me to them....most walking the Camino are fit but the locals we interact with very well could live with their grand or even great grandparents who are absolutely at risk. No one had immunity to this new virus.
No I am not telling anyone to leave just be vigilent. It is so easy to forget about real life on the Camino, one of the reasons I go, but we are not wIld camping we are still in the real world as we walk.
Buen Camino,
MaryEllen
moderators please edit as you see fit.

Yes, having spoken to a friend in Santiago this morning and hear her describe the escalation in the situation in Galicia, she mentioned the key point of travelling at this time. It wasn't the risk to myself, but the risk I could be to others both while walking and certainly on returning home. That remark has totally changed my perspective and I will now postpone my short Easter walk on the VdlP. When I told my husband he was so relieved. So I guess that was something else I hadn't considered, the worry I would have caused my family if I had gone. Considerations of others now is paramount in my opinion.

It wasn't the risk to myself, but the risk I could be to others both while walking and certainly on returning home. That remark has totally changed my perspective
I have come to that realization myself. As citizens of the world I think that we all need to do our part to "flatten the curve".
Flatten_the_curve1.gif

I really don't think that I could enjoy the Camino with everything in such turmoil, and knowing that I could be contributing to the problem.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, having spoken to a friend in Santiago this morning and hear her describe the escalation in the situation in Galicia, she mentioned the key point of travelling at this time. It wasn't the risk to myself, but the risk I could be to others both while walking and certainly on returning home. That remark has totally changed my perspective and I will now postpone my short Easter walk on the VdlP. When I told my husband he was so relieved. So I guess that was something else I hadn't considered, the worry I would have caused my family if I had gone. Considerations of others now is paramount in my opinion.

I agree 100%. It is not necessarily the potential danger we expose ourselves to but the unknowing danger we might expose others too on the Camino, in transportation hubs and at home.

Choose wisely,
Joe

I’m walking the Portuguese Camino since March 3rd and arrived at the albergue municipal in Armenteira today to find it closed... there were only 3 of us.... there had been no warnings about this.... on speaoto another Peregrina she said that many of the municipal albergues have closed ....I will walkthrough Vilaneuvo de Arousa tomorrow and see how things are.... it’s really strange here at present, it’s like being in a time warp, I feel quite relaxed here, people are just getting on with things... everyone stay safe and Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We are in Burgos now. With a small group of pilgrims who are busy on their phones booking flights out of Spain via Bilbao for tomorrow. But we think we will walk on...
So strange, everything seems so normal...
We will take it day by day.

Isn’t the Burgos albergue closed?

I was on the Camino Mozárabe until last Sunday before I decided to get back to Málaga, where I now stay with friends until I hopefully get to fly back to Germany on Monday. It is still business as usual, but I bought soap for some of the albergues, because there was none. then imagine, that very often you can not properly wash your clothes or sleep on beds where the virus might survive on handles etc for several days! I decided against continuing towards mérida. the health system here is already under heavy pressure.

Kristi, if you read the ‘Closed Albergues’ thread you will see several albergues on the Portuguese route are closed. I am on the VDLP right now and honestly if Joe and I had known that things were going to escalate this quickly, we may have canceled our plans. But here we are. . .Wondering whether Albergues north of here will be open or if we will be looking for a place to stay until time to leave and then whether or not we will be able to fly home and when. Right now there are just too many unknowns. We are riding the wave and being flexible. We are hoping that we will be able to continue to Astorga and that the worst of this will blow over before we get there. You need
I have now reached Astorga and echo what Ballari and Yombort17 say, above in this thread. The numbers are quite a bit lighter than usual (I walk this stretch around the same time in spring each year) and there seems to be an underlying sense of fear amongst the locals - not so much those walking the trail. Lots of hand sanitizers to be seen bars and shops, which is good..... Leon was "buzzing" yesterday/today with concern as released viral infection numbers have suddenly ramped up there apparently.

Albergue owners /operators are concerned, I think, as to how this new season will pan out. Tonight I am alone in an Albergue, last night I was just one of six in a huge Albergue, and one of just two in another pretty big Albergue two nights back.

Incidentally, it is very sad to see the way that South Koreans are being treated. I was invited to share a meal by a lovely Korean father and 10 year old son and he said "It's okay if you don't want to." Very sad to hear that and all that he told me - they are being treated like lepers of past eras, I feel. I happily joined them and enjoyed great fellowship and a great meal! Have spent quite some time with them. They are just pilgrims, like all of us. If you are on the trail, perhaps be especially kind to the Asian Group on Camino! They are feeling extra alienated.

I and those around me walking feel that the Camino is actually currently one of the best and safest places to be. Concern is expressed for when in larger more densely populated areas and, of course, for the eventual travel back home.

to follow your own gut, but as I said, if I had this to do over again, knowing what I know now, we may just have canceled our plans.
. This post is very sad , the South Koreans were always one of the nicest groups of pilgrims to meet on the trail .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The notice in the other thread is that Burgos Municipal is closing as of today.

Post #34 in the albergue closures thread.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
REPOST - FICS ANNOUNCEMENT
INTERNATIONAL FRATERNITY OF THE CAMINO DE SANTIAGO, FICS.
OFFICIAL RELEASE NUMBER 2 -
Santiago de Compostela
March 13, 2020

In view of the ongoing Corona virus crisis and the responsibility we owe to our pilgrims and volunteer hospitaleros, we offer the following to the Camino community:

1) We advise pilgrims to NOT undertake the Jacobean pilgrimage until this situation returns to normal. The Camino has seen similar things in its miraculous history, and it will still be here when this crisis, too, is history.

2) Most of our hospitality volunteers at FICS come from outside Spain. We thank them for their enthusiasm and dedication, and assure them their well-being is our first priority. We release them of their commitments to serve at Grado until the current situation returns to stability and safety. A thousand thanks to all of them.

3) We urge everyone to follow the advice and warnings of the health authorities without question.

4) We call on the civil authorities responsible for the Caminos de Santiago to protect and support by all means possible the 3,000-plus pilgrims currently on the Iberian caminos who were taken by surprise by the magnitude of this situation.

5) We urge those same authorities, and very particularly to Autonomous Communities and the Xacobeo Council, to provide clear and timely instructions regarding the operation of emergency pilgrim accommodations -- including the provisional closure and timely re-opening of albergues. FICS puts all its resources at their disposal.

We encourage the Camino community to join us in this responsibility. Working together, we will soon again walk our beautiful Way of St. James.

Ultreia y suseiaREPOST - FICS ANNOUNCEMENT
INTERNATIONAL FRATERNITY OF THE CAMINO DE SANTIAGO, FICS.
OFFICIAL RELEASE NUMBER 2 -
Santiago de Compostela
March 13, 2020

In view of the ongoing Corona virus crisis and the responsibility we owe to our pilgrims and volunteer hospitaleros, we offer the following to the Camino community:

1) We advise pilgrims to NOT undertake the Jacobean pilgrimage until this situation returns to normal. The Camino has seen similar things in its miraculous history, and it will still be here when this crisis, too, is history.

2) Most of our hospitality volunteers at FICS come from outside Spain. We thank them for their enthusiasm and dedication, and assure them their well-being is our first priority. We release them of their commitments to serve at Grado until the current situation returns to stability and safety. A thousand thanks to all of them.

3) We urge everyone to follow the advice and warnings of the health authorities without question.

4) We call on the civil authorities responsible for the Caminos de Santiago to protect and support by all means possible the 3,000-plus pilgrims currently on the Iberian caminos who were taken by surprise by the magnitude of this situation.

5) We urge those same authorities, and very particularly to Autonomous Communities and the Xacobeo Council, to provide clear and timely instructions regarding the operation of emergency pilgrim accommodations -- including the provisional closure and timely re-opening of albergues. FICS puts all its resources at their disposal.

We encourage the Camino community to join us in this responsibility. Working together, we will soon again walk our beautiful Way of St. James.

Ultreia y suseia

We are in Burgos now. With a small group of pilgrims who are busy on their phones booking flights out of Spain via Bilbao for tomorrow. But we think we will walk on...
So strange, everything seems so normal...
We will take it day by day.

We are conflicted. The bar is pretty empty this morning and Coronavirus news is blaring on the tv. Can’t decide if we should cut and run and try to find flights home or keep walking. If anyone in Spain can offer shelter or a hospitalero position in case things go south and albergues begin closing on this route, we would be interested in at least a discussion. As of today we will go slow as planned and walk to Valdesalor today.

We (friend plus husband) have prebooked accommodation - private or hotels - from here to Santiago. We have walked 2 days so far and see all cafes etc open. So what now? Are we expected to fly home or can we continue quietly?

On the Vía de la Plata. Four of us in Aljucén last night, three of us decided independently to call it a day. With the albergue in Mérida now closed, I imagine a lot of people will stop there. Terrible for the hospitaleros, particularly those in small pueblos, but necessary, I fear...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino de Levante.
The staff of Valencia's amigos is checking situation of albergues in our area.
By the moment we only have information of closure of Canals and Moixent.
Any new information will be communicated.
JL

So, our camino is over. We're heading to Seville this evening. I'm sad. But also looking at it as another sort of camino...and appreciating how fortunate we really are. Best wishes to all.
Perhaps a splashy last couple of nights at the parador will ease the transition?

We are conflicted. The bar is pretty empty this morning and Coronavirus news is blaring on the tv. Can’t decide if we should cut and run and try to find flights home or keep walking. If anyone in Spain can offer shelter or a hospitalero position in case things go south and albergues begin closing on this route, we would be interested in at least a discussion. As of today we will go slow as planned and walk to Valdesalor today.
Good way Annie and Joe.
I’m doing the ‘cut and run’ very very sadly.
But being alone is daunting when reading about the closures and the ever spiralling situation. I am still having to find out whether I can get a flighT soon but I am heading back to Madrid on bus now. It’s almost 5pm. Friday 13/3/20. You have much more experience than I and would probably find good ways of sorting things out between the two of you.

Thinking of you ..
Annie

Good way Annie and Joe.
But being alone is daunting when reading about the closures and the ever spiralling situation. I am still having to find out whether I can get a flighT soon but I am heading back to Madrid on bus now. It’s almost 5pm. Friday 13/3/20. You have much more experience than I and would probably find good ways of sorting things out between the two of you.

Thinking of you ..
Annie

Us too

After the post from Ivar and the mods this morning, and after a long night of thinking, Joe and I decided to throw in the towel and head home. Seeing a flock of vultures last night sealed the deal. 😂. A sign from God maybe.

We caught a taxi to Cáceres and a bus to Madrid. My son got us one of the few remaining flights to LAX in the morning at 9. Hopefully it will not cancel.

The airlines are price gouging. Over $2000 for a one way to lax unless you really look. We managed to get out for $580 each and are grateful.

The airport is empty. Most desks are closed unless for current flights. We managed to check in at a kiosk that was supposedly closed. We tried It anyway and it worked.

We added up the savings in lodging and it’s pretty much a wash so we aren’t out too much except for the experience. This is my 3D attempt at the VDLP so maybe it’s my last on this route. Lol.

For those staying, may God watch over you and keep you safe. We will follow you from home and hopefully see some of you next spring 2021.

Buen Camino all!
Annie

Ps. I will post this also on our live thread.

Last edited:
I am gutted. In Navarette right now with my wife and 6 children and our Camino is over. We were ushered out of a playground this morning for the council workers to put up police tape around the slippery dip and swings before a brusque dismissal that the park is closed. On the way out of Logroño today people talked loudly within earshot that they don’t need pilgrims now and that ‘they’ should close all the albergues right now. Between the tame ‘Buen Caminos’ we hear is also a fear that I haven’t seen before in Spain. It’s time to leave. No idea how, but we need to leave. As I said, I’m gutted. If you can cancel now, I would suggest you do so.

Good way Annie and Joe.

Thinking of you ..
Annie
Annie, yes you are doing the right thing. I can't imagine how unsettling all this news is when you are on your own. You can't take changes now with the situation changing so fast in Spain. On the BBC today at lunchtime there was news that it is now not recommended to travel to Spain.
Good luck with your long journey home and please let us all know you are safe and well.
Elaine xx

After the post from Ivar and the mods this morning, and after a long night of thinking, Joe and I decided to throw in the towel and head home. Seeing a flock of vultures last night sealed the deal. 😂. A sign from God maybe.

We caught a taxi to Cáceres and a bus to Madrid. My son got us one of the few remaining flights to LAX in the morning at 9. Hopefully it will not cancel.

The airlines are price gouging. Over $2000 for a one way to lax unless you really look. We managed to get out for $580 each and are grateful.

The airport is empty. Most desks are closed unless for current flights. We managed to check in at a kiosk that was supposedly closed. We tried anyone and it worked.

We added up the savings in lodging and it’s pretty much a wash so we aren’t out too much except for the experience. This is my 3D attempt at the VDLP so maybe it’s my last on this route. Lol.

For those staying, may God watch over you and keep you safe. We will follow you from home and hopefully see some of you next spring 2021.

Buen Camino all!
Annie

Good decision Annie. Trust you and Joe get some rest tonight.
Safe home
Elaine xx

I am gutted. In Navarette right now with my wife and 6 children and our Camino is over. We were ushered out of a playground this morning for the council workers to put up police tape around the slippery dip and swings before a brusque dismissal that the park is closed. On the way out of Logroño today people talked loudly within earshot that they don’t need pilgrims now and that ‘they’ should close all the albergues right now. Between the tame ‘Buen Caminos’ we hear is also a fear that I haven’t seen before in Spain. It’s time to leave. No idea how, but we need to leave. As I said, I’m gutted. If you can cancel now, I would suggest you do so.
Just pray you get back home soon safely with your family.

I’m so sorry. Yes we also heard those comments. It is fear speaking and I can’t really blame them. Best of luck finding your way home safely

Good way Annie and Joe.

Thinking of you ..
Annie

If you make it to the airport look us up. We are sitting here until morning just waiting. Have a safe flight home

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you make it to the airport look us up. We are sitting here until morning just waiting. Have a safe flight home
I didn’t have a flight so have checked into Hostal Persal. I’m ‘on hold ‘ trying to make contact about a possible flight. My daughter would still be asleep in Australia. I copied her on my email request to travel agent. I’m praying I’ll get a flight - when someone wakes up ‘down there’.

I wish I’d headed to airport. Would have been best place to ask. Maybe I’ll do just that tomorrow. Head there regardless. Can’t hurt.

We all tried Annie but I think it’s best to go home.

Love Annie

With the albergue in Mérida now closed, I imagine a lot of people will stop there. Terrible for the hospitaleros, particularly those in small pueblos, but necessary, I fear...

I don't know about Spain, but last night at midnight the Portuguese government announced a wide range of financial aids for small businesses, and their employees, to help mitigate the results particularly of decreased tourism, which is a huge part of each country's income--probably 2nd or 3rd source. Pilgrim revenue is part of general tourism in both, of course, but a bigger portion in Spain than in Portugal because of the popularity of the various Spanish routes over many years.

I hope and expect that Spain will be instituting similar supportive measures to those in Portugal; their social systems to support hard times in the population are similar, and fairly robust. Also, their small town residents are resilient, though this will be painful for some families' incomes, for sure. They are only a couple of generations away from tough times in the past and quite pragmatic and practical, in my experience.

Best wishes to all of you who have had to cut short or postpone your caminos!

Last edited:
Hey, I am currently on the central route as 80% of the albergues on the coastal route is closed. I also spoke to some locals and they suggest things wouldn’t get worse ( shutdown). Portó was a ghost town yesterday. I am actually stuck in the central route

We are currently in Villafranca del Bierzo. I've been messaging the others that are part of our group. We are spread from Ponferrada to Sarria. All those in our group have decided to try to go home. Some from Italy are not sure what to do as apparently they can not get back into Italy.
One friend was told that the Guardia Civil was telling pilgrims to go home (Can anyone confirm this?)
The general feeling is one of sadness.
We had decided to get private rooms a while ago and we have found it harder and harder to find somewhere open. We had booked a couple of rooms (they are really affordable atm) on booking.com for the next few days, and one has now cancelled.
We are staying in a pension tonight and the man at the desk said that he expected to be closed up within days.
Not sure what we will do as we still have a week and a half until we fly out.
Yes, we are feeling a bit sad at the moment.
Maybe time for chocolate and wine!
Both things Spain does really well.

We are currently in Villafranca del Bierzo. I've been messaging the others that are part of our group. We are spread from Ponferrada to Sarria. All those in our group have decided to try to go home. Some from Italy are not sure what to do as apparently they can not get back into Italy.
One friend was told that the Guardia Civil was telling pilgrims to go home (Can anyone confirm this?)
We had decided to get private rooms a while ago and we have found it harder and harder to find somewhere open. We had booked a couple of rooms (they are really affordable atm) on booking.com for the next few days, and one has now cancelled.
We are staying in a pension tonight and the man at the desk said that he expected to be closed up within days.
Oh dear, just saying sorry. You are a long way from home.

I’m so sorry. I pray things will work out for your group.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey, I am currently on the central route as 80% of the albergues on the coastal route is closed. I also spoke to some locals and they suggest things wouldn’t get worse ( shutdown). Portó was a ghost town yesterday. I am actually stuck in the central route
Are you able to find anywhere to stay? I hope so.

Just arrived in Seguira from de Bruma to find all cafes closed because of COVID-19.

some bakeries have food available for take away, as some restaurants offer take away (you order inside and then wait outside).

Yes. All over Galicia. Only food shops and farmacias allowed to remain open more or less normally. Xunta albergues all closed and many private ones too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for kind words and prayers.
We have made the decision to leave and are lucky to be able to change our flights. The bus out is this afternoon.
For those interested, these attached flyers are in Villafranca del Bierzo.
The albergue is now closed.

Attachments

• 20200314_114003.jpg
    20200314_114003.jpg
    952.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200314_113954.jpg
    20200314_113954.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 64

€46,-
If you're one of the pilgrims i overtook today on the way to Sarria, Hotel Alfonso IX is open, as is El Malecón. I think everything else is closed. You can haggle. Good luck!!

I should arrive in Santiago tomorrow - does anybody know where i could stay until Thursday?

The Hotel Lux lists rooms at about 35E. It is at Doutor Teixeiro, 4, 15706 Santiago de Compostela, Spain .

If you're one of the pilgrims i overtook today on the way to Sarria, Hotel Alfonso IX is open, as is El Malecón. I think everything else is closed. You can haggle. Good luck!!

I should arrive in Santiago tomorrow - does anybody know where i could stay until Thursday?
Call Jose Ramon on +34 981582362, address Rua do Vilar 42 & 80 (shop & hostal). Say I sent you. He is a friend. Being brought up at an English boarding school, he speaks English better than you and I :)

Edit: Or forum member @SYates !

Last edited:

€149,-
I have just cancelled the four lovely private rooms I had dotted along my planned route this May, fully expecting to have to cancel the whole camino. I have some beds booked too but I am keeping these bookings for now, on the off chance it will happen. Even if it doesn't, I intend let them charge the price of the bed from my credit card. Not because I am nice; this is for purely selfish reasons as I want these places to survive financially and be up and running when this virus hopefully has run its course and the world returns to some kind of normal.
Needless to say I am gutted, I have been so looking forward to revisiting Burgos, marvel at the beautiful cathedral, enjoying a tapas meal and some vino in the evening, possibly with some random pilgrims, having a bad night's sleep in a stuffy albergue and starting my walk the next day with no clear plan or time limit. I wanted some time to think in the vast emptiness of the meseta ... but it is what it is, there are tapas in Liverpool, there is a beautiful cathedral in Chester, there is wine in the fridge, and the way things are going with this virus and self-isolation I'll get plenty of time to think.
But still ... I have got a bad case of the Cancellation Blues.
So here's a virtual hug and a large dollop of heartfelt sympathy for all pilgrims who have had to cancel their camino this spring and summer. Santiago isn't going anywhere, and we might still meet on the trail some day.
Stay safe and buen postponed camino!
Hugs back, nidarosa
This morning the news was Spain is on lock down just like Italy. Can someone tell me what this means for the pilgrims en route? Must they leave right away?

You may want to check with your airlines

Greetings everyone.
My flight was just got cancelled from Singapore to Spain, well yesterday I was still planning reroute to Lisbon and start my very first camino from there. Guess now is not the best time to travel. 😢
It's sad but hope this virus will soon come up with a cure.
Be safe everyone! See you next year Spain!
Buen camino

Hugs back, nidarosa
This morning the news was Spain is on lock down just like Italy. Can someone tell me what this means for the pilgrims en route? Must they leave right away?
This thread has many comments about the experiences of pilgrims currently or recently in Spain.

Whether individuals must leave or not, and how to do so, would depend on a number of factors. I haven't read that Spain is expelling anyone, but it is clearly not convenient to be there, given the new restrictions on movement under the state of alarm. In order to leave, they would need to make arrangements through their airline or transportation provider, with assistance from their embassy or consulate if necessary.

According to the news, (and thelocal.es is a good source), as of Monday nobody is allowed to be outdoors in Spain without ‘legitimate’ reason. Walking the camino is not one of those reasons.

Leave the country or find a place to live (until this is over) seem to be the options.

One of the legitimate reasons for being out is ‘returning to place of habitual residence’, so they aren’t going to stop you from trying to get home.

According to the news, (and thelocal.es is a good source), as of Monday nobody is allowed to be outdoors in Spain without ‘legitimate’ reason. Walking the camino is not one of those reasons.

Leave the country or find a place to live (until this is over) seem to be the options.

One of the legitimate reasons for being out is ‘returning to place of habitual residence’, so they aren’t going to stop you from trying to get home.
Thanks, Northernlight. It will take me awhile to wrap my head around all this. The airlines must be overwhelmed and maybe the buses and rail systems. Interesting times.

€83,-

The airport is empty. Most desks are closed unless for current flights. We managed to check in at a kiosk that was supposedly closed. We tried It anyway and it worked.

Buen Camino all!
Annie

Annie,

Just wondering if you made it home as yet.

Keep us posted.

Annie,

Just wondering if you made it home as yet.

Keep us posted.

We are on the freeway headed home now. Just landed in LAX. We were told no more flights from Spain allowed and that we got the last one but not sure what is true and what is not. LAX was a ghost town. There are Orwellian signs on the freeway saying COVID 19 LESS IS MORE. AVOID LARGE GATHERINGS. Weird.

We are on the freeway headed home now. Just landed in LAX. We were told no more flights from Spain allowed and that we got the last one but not sure what is true and what is not. LAX was a ghost town. There are Orwellian signs on the freeway saying COVID 19 LESS IS MORE. AVOID LARGE GATHERINGS. Weird.

Glad you made it home safe, tough times ahead for all ☹️

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

What?

I haven’t been on freeway in a bit.

So, I have missed those signs.

Very happy you made it home.

Did you receive any quarantine instructions or temperature taken or anything Corona related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.