• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

COVID COVID 19 - Offers of help on the ground

gmag

Time of past OR future Camino
frances 1998, 2000, 2013
Hello, we are Anita and Gabriel, from the Luz de Frómista hostel. The circumstances of the virus have made the Camino de Santiago and the lives of pilgrims change drastically in the last hours. Hostels are closing, Burgos is already closed, airports, possibilities to return to the countries of origin of the pilgrims, etc.

In our hostel we already have several pilgrims who arrived yesterday. They have discovered that they cannot continue and are looking for a way to return to their countries, and until they solve this problem, they have asked us, if they can stay more days, indefinitely, in our hostel. We love to see that they adapt our hostel into their home.

We want to offer our hostel in these moments of almost total insecurity. Our concept of shelter is that no one is left on the street and that pilgrims feel like being in their own house.

Our hostel is open to those who want to come and have a place with almost everything they need, including, of course, heating at night, a good kitchen only for pilgrims, plenty of space, etc.

If someone wants to contact, or we can help you in some way, you can do it through our website, or by email or mobile phone number that appears on it (635140169). We speak English, French, German and Dutch.

www.albergueluzdefromista.com

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm not sure this is the right thread but it should go somewhere:

Renfe website states "Renfe will facilitate changes and cancellations of tickets at no cost to travelers affected by measures to combat the coronavirus"

ALSA is stating their services are operating normally and provides conditions of cancellations and refunds.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello, we are Anita and Gabriel, from the Luz de Frómista hostel. The circumstances of the virus have made the Camino de Santiago and the lives of pilgrims change drastically in the last hours. Hostels are closing, Burgos is already closed, airports, possibilities to return to the countries of origin of the pilgrims, etc.

In our hostel we already have several pilgrims who arrived yesterday. They have discovered that they cannot continue and are looking for a way to return to their countries, and until they solve this problem, they have asked us, if they can stay more days, indefinitely, in our hostel. We love to see that they adapt our hostel into their home.

We want to offer our hostel in these moments of almost total insecurity. Our concept of shelter is that no one is left on the street and that pilgrims feel like being in their own house.

Our hostel is open to those who want to come and have a place with almost everything they need, including, of course, heating at night, a good kitchen only for pilgrims, plenty of space, etc.

If someone wants to contact, or we can help you in some way, you can do it through our website, or by email or mobile phone number that appears on it (635140169). We speak English, French, German and Dutch.

your kindness to these pilgrims is commendable.

City of Ponferrada is closed down. No word yet on the albergues.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thank you!! Incredibly kind and unselfish! Now I know where to stay when I come to Fromista on my next Camino, whenever that may be.:)

If there are any pilgrims walking the Vezeley route in the Dordogne and you need help getting to and from transport hubs or albergues then please do message me. I live between St Astier and Perigueux and can come and collect you and offer help (or a bed for the night) if you're trying to get home.

Last edited:

I love you guys!!!! Thanks for open hearts, open albergue, a home away from home in time of need especially when fear prevails and other doors are closed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We love the Camino, and especially the hundreds of thousands of pilgrims who built it centuries ago. To be able to do something for you is something like being able to feel that we are doing something for those thousands of pilgrims ... that is for us the "mysterious" Spirit of the Camino, to feel that there is only one heart alive and beating for almost 1000 years ... different bodies and one heart, with all that that implies ...

It is the most important reason (perhaps the least practical in terms of current economy) of opening a hostel and living on the Camino. The most beautifull.

Thanks to all, your support gives us more conviction and even more strength.

From Frómista,

Anita and Gabriel

Thank you Anita and Gabriel,
As announced on our Facebook page, The Albergue Villares de Órbigo (2,5 km after Hospital de Órbigo) is also open and will remain so unless I am ordered to close.
A group of Spanish and German pilgrims are here tonight and may also stay tomorrow as they decide their next move.
Pm me if you are in the area and need help.

Stay safe and healthy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As announced on our Facebook page, The Albergue Villares de Órbigo (2,5 km after Hospital de Órbigo) is also open and will remain so unless I am ordered to close.
A group of Spanish and German pilgrims are here tonight and may also stay tomorrow as they decide their next move.

Stay safe and healthy.
Thank you!!!!

Stay safe and healthy.
Dear LTfit, this is incredible! I just saw that you're the Dutch lady of Hospital de Orbigo...

Less than a week ago someone told me VERY good things about you, I knew that you sold everything you had to open your hostel. Anita - Dutch like you - was in Holland and I couldn't tell her until she came a few days ago.

We are united to you by something more than Holland, we also sold everything we had to open our hostel. And now I see that you also love the Camino and the pilgrims, specially in this difficoult moments…

I hope to see you soon!

Gabriel

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Any pilgrims travelling via Ireland on their way back to the US are welcome to stay here until they can be repatriated. You can enjoy an ersatz Camino in the discomfort of my own home - basic living conditions, bunk beds, high winds, heavy rain, glutinous mud etc. - and imagine you're in an authentic albergue in the middle of nowhere. I'm stuck at home for the foreseeable future, with my university having closed down and my camino plans most unlikely to proceed. Pm me if you're looking for an ark!

Dear LTfit, this is incredible! I just saw that you're the Dutch lady of Hospital de Orbigo...

Less than a week ago someone told me VERY good things about you, I knew that you sold everything you had to open your hostel. Anita - Dutch like you - was in Holland and I couldn't tell her until she came a few days ago.

We are united to you by something more than Holland, we also sold everything we had to open our hostel. And now I see that you also love the Camino and the pilgrims, specially in this difficoult moments…

I hope to see you soon!

Gabriel

Hola Gabriel!
We actually have met😉! I was walking a late fall/winter Camino November 2018 and I stayed with you and Anita. I heard from the grapevine that a Dutch/Spanish couple had opened an Albergue in Fromista. I believe that you were only open a short while.

I too hope we meet again. Groetjes aan Anita!
Un abrazo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anyone on the Tours route (or other route in France) between Paris and the Spanish border needs help please say! Small house next to mine, room for two in relative comfort, more on blow up beds. Near to Poitiers, I can collect you from anywhere reasonable, or possibly unreasonable.

The owners of the Private Donativo Albergue "La Casa de las Sonrisas" in Grañon, report that their place will be open for anyone in need of shelter, they will take the mandatory mesures of desinfection and help pilgrims to find a way to return to their countries.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Historic

I hope to see you soon!

Gabriel
historically(ww2) u dutch have demonstrated tremendous courage resilience and bravery facing death for your fellow man. Much respect!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good morning to all from one of the last albergues open and alive on the Camino de Santiago
Today the situation is as follows:

From tomorrow you cannot go outside in Spain, only to the few supermarkets that are open, to gas stations, to banks, to health centers and to work for those who still have it.
Transport and planes will work at 50%, so in theory you can leave Spain if you have a ticket. The fines for going out can be 600,000 euros. Six hundred thousand.

At the hostel yesterday we had two Canadians, Martin and his wife, who have been three days and left Burgos by taxi from Frómista tonight at 4, and from Burgos to Lisbon to catch a plane to Canada. Yesterday morning four German pilgrims left, two of them spent two days and an Italian pilgrim to Bilbao, and from there to France. At this moment there are two German pilgrims, mother and daughter, who have been three days and who leave in a few minutes, when they finish having breakfast, this evening family members have come by car to collect them, they have slept 4 hours, after 1,700 kilometers and they leave towards near Frankfurt. There are also three German pilgrims who arrived yesterday and we have convinced them to return to Germany, they wanted to continue; yesterday afternoon a young pilgrim from Denmark arrived, from Leon, he was here a few days ago. He does not know when he will be able to return home, he stays indefinitely, there is also an Italian pilgrim indefinitely. There is also a Swiss pilgrim, we think she will leave tomorrow, but if she cannot do it, she is very happy to be able to stay. Perhaps someone will still arrive today, but it is highly unlikely.

This is the atmosphere of the albergue, goodbyes after several days, sorrow of having to leave the Camino in this way, feelings of friendship with them, hopes of returning to the Camino again ... and the feeling that Spain will never again be like before. I'm not even sure if the Camino survives, and if the Camino survives it will be something touristy, with the fewest references to its Christian history, or the fewest necessary.

But we must not lose hope, none, perhaps the name we have chosen, LUZ, is more than just a pretty name or an intuition ...

Much the same experience here. Last night I had 2 Irish walking backwards from Astorga as all was closed there. Today they will return to León then travel to Santander and fly home.

A French pilgrim who walked from Porto to Santiago and backwards along the Francés had hoped to walk home to Paris, instead she will continue to León today and also fly home.

A Uruguayan and Chilean are going to attempt to continue to at least Ponferrada although they have been advised to stop in Astorga and make plans to return home. We have heard that the Guardia Civil has been stopping pilgrims so they most likely will not make it to Ponferrada.

During the past two days we have had a wonderful time with our pilgrims. The situation brings us all together.

I continue to help wherever I can. I just received a call from a Spanish pilgrim calling for a Brit stranded between León and Villares asking if he can stay here to rest and plan his return home. His feet are in bad shape so he was using Correos to carry his pack. Now that they have stopped service, he can only walk short distances. If he calls I will suggest that he return to León rather than walking here but will welcome him if necessary.

Let me know if I can be of any service.

Take care all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any pilgrims travelling via Ireland on their way back to the US are welcome to stay here until they can be repatriated. You can enjoy an ersatz Camino in the discomfort of my own home - basic living conditions, bunk beds, high winds, heavy rain, glutinous mud etc. - and imagine you're in an authentic albergue in the middle of nowhere. I'm stuck at home for the foreseeable future, with my university having closed down and my camino plans most unlikely to proceed. Pm me if you're looking for an ark!
You beat me to it, Paladina. Same offer in Dublin. Well, similar. No bunk beds.

Good morning to all from one of the last hostels open and alive on the Camino de Santiago

Today the situation is as follows:

From tomorrow you cannot go outside in Spain, only to the few supermarkets that are open, to gas stations, to banks, to health centers and to work for those who still have it.

Transport and planes will work at 50%, so in theory you can leave Spain if you have a ticket. The fines for going out can be 600,000 euros. Six hundred thousand, so, it is very serius.

At the hostel yesterday we had two Canadians, Martin and his wife, who have been three days and left Burgos by taxi from Frómista tonight at 4, and from Burgos to Lisbon to catch a plane to Canada. Yesterday morning four German pilgrims left, two of them spent two days and an Italian pilgrim to Bilbao, and from there to France. At this moment there are two German pilgrims, mother and daughter, who have been three days and who leave in a few minutes, when they finish having breakfast, this evening family members have come by car to collect them, they have slept 4 hours, after 1,700 kilometers and they leave towards near Frankfurt. There are also three German pilgrims who arrived yesterday and we have convinced them to return to Germany, they wanted to continue, yesterday afternoon a young pilgrim from Denmark arrived, from Leon, he was here a few days ago. He does not know when he will be able to return home, he stays indefinitely, there is also an Italian pilgrim indefinitely. There is also a Swiss pilgrim, we think she will leave tomorrow, but if she cannot do it she is very happy to be able to stay. Perhaps someone will still arrive today, but it is highly unlikely.

This is the atmosphere of the hostel, farewells after several days, sorrow of having to leave the Camino in this way, feelings of friendship with them, hopes of returning to the Camino again ...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Much the same experience here. Last night I had 2 Irish walking backwards from Astorga as all was closed there. Today they will return to León then travel to Santander and fly home.

A French pilgrim who walked from Porto to Santiago and backwards along the Francés had hoped to walk home to Paris, instead she will continue to León today and also fly home.

A Uruguayan and Chilean are going to attempt to continue to at least Ponferrada although they have been advised to stop in Astorga and make plans to return home. We have heard that the Guardia Civil has been stopping pilgrims so they most likely will not make it to Ponferrada.

During the past two days we have had a wonderful time with our pilgrims. The situation brings us all together.

I continue to help wherever I can. I just received a call from a Spanish pilgrim calling for a Brit stranded between León and Villares asking if he can stay here to rest and plan his return home. His feet are in bad shape so he was using Correos to carry his pack. Now that they have stopped service, he can only walk short distances. If he calls I will suggest that he return to León rather than walking here but will welcome him if necessary.

Take care all.
LTfit, here really the same.

It is very hard what the brave pilgrims are going through these days, it is a true act of resistance and pilgrimage to the end, or to the only possible end they have left, an open albergue and from there to an airport. The Camino will open again, and they will return.

You also count on us ...

My daughter (Charlotte) and I stayed with you in October 2018. We arrived with terrible bedbug bites. You both were so kind, helpful and compassionate and helped us continue on our way. So I am not surprised to see that you are offering your lovely albergue and hospitality at this time. Charlotte and I would have stayed with you again this May, but have now postponed our trip. Many thanks to you both for your kindness <3

Take care all.

Lee, if he gets to Astorga he can get help at the Siervas de Maria. They are not open albergue-wise, but they're helping pilgrims figure out what to do next.

My daughter (Charlotte) and I stayed with you in October 2018. We arrived with terrible bedbug bites. You both were so kind, helpful and compassionate and helped us continue on our way. So I am not surprised to see that you are offering your lovely albergue and hospitality at this time. Charlotte and I would have stayed with you again this May, but have now postponed our trip. Many thanks to you both for your kindness <3
Hello! Of course we remember you! You were in the first room, in a bunk on the left, I think I remember that a low bed and a high bed, Charlotte was with me when I controlled the mattresses and beds. You were two charming and calm people, easy to help, collaborative and with confidence in us, we appreciated that. It's a shame you can't come now, this virus -or whatever- upsets the whole world. But we are glad that you are one of the pilgrims in love with the Camino and that we will see you in a few months, for sure!
A very cordial greeting and thanks for remembering us !!

March 15, end of the day

Today the Camino de Santiago has still been alive. I did not imagine. At noon two guardias civiles came to the hostel, to ask how many pilgrims we had, and there could be no more on the Camino, they were therefore the last of spring. Three at that time, the young Danish, Jasmina the friendly Swiss pilgrim who leaves in 7 hours, and the Italian pilgrim who spends a few days in Frómista, and also we had the reservation of one more by bicycle that went to his house in Galicia, for which was logical, (although tomorrow he has to catch a train in Frómista, since he can no longer continue on the road) and it was also logical that they had to sleep in a hostel. They readily accepted my explanation that Christoffer, the Danish pilgrim, needs a few days to sort out his journey.

At that moment, talking to them in the street, I see at two hundred meters from me something totally unexpected, I see, slowly approaching ... a pilgrim !!! The civil guards went to him, spoke for a short time, and then I see the three of them coming towards me. One of them, the sergeant, tells me "you can possibly help us to solve a problem", "we love solving problems!" I said to them, and then he tells me that if he can stay in the hostel until the next day, in leaving for London, we do everyone a big favor. In addition Francis, the English veteran pilgrim, told us that there were two Dutch women behind him, a cyclist, a couple and a young man alone.

Can you imagine the joy that we could have, to be able to have pilgrims, inside the albergue, not only with the permission of the Guardia Civil, but even asking them for that???

A funny day at the albergue!

(I have to said that the Guardia Civil is great, frendly and that they really look for people)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Anyone leaving Europe via London drop me a message, I'll help if I can. Today London was fairly normal, shops, cafes, pubs and restaurants trading, transport running, museums open, etc. Very quiet for a Sunday and the shops are understocked, but no draconian laws telling you to stay inside or wear masks or anything. Photos of empty supermarket shelves are misleading, I had no problems at all buying fresh food today. I'm thinking London is your best route out of Europe for the moment.

Lee, if he gets to Astorga he can get help at the Siervas de Maria. They are not open albergue-wise, but they're helping pilgrims figure out what to do next.

Thank you Reb. I saw the list posted on various Facebook pages. I never received a call so I don't know what the Brit decided to do.

It was like a ghost town yesterday. The only sound was the blaring of the panadería van announcing the daily delivery of bread. Yes, also on a Sunday, this is Spain!

I don't expect anyone for the coming weeks. Who knows, maybe months. In the meantime let's all support each other virtually here on this wonderful forum.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For pilgrims who have arrived in Santiago de Compostela and in need of information where to stay or to buy food, how to go to the bus station, train station or airport or feel lost or not sure what to do and need to talk with someone, they may contact me by landline - 981552512 (Spain) by e-mail - mannydomingo@yahoo.com/WhatsApp or Viber +63 9195010374 (this is my Philippines number which I continue to use). Buen Camino and God bless! This is Fr. Manny Domingo (I celebrate the Mass in English at the Pilgrims’ Center. Unfortunately at this time, this Mass is suspended until further notice.) Pilgrims may also contact: Annie (English/ Spanish) 0034 602 886 414. Sybille (German/French/Spanish/English) 0034 698 128 190. May the Good Lord keep us all safe. Buen Camino!🙏

Last edited:
MARCH 16, END OF THE DAY

Today three new pilgrims have arrived, yes, really! Three.
Francis and Christoffer were still there, and the Civil Guard brought us Remy, a Swiss man who left Geneva walking january 6th, and very sad he did not understand why he could not get to Santiago, and Natalija and Danijel, two pilgrims from Croatia, also angry about the same thing. Tomorrow everyone will definitely go to Madrid and by plane to their homes. Anita and the printer have been able to help everyone get their airline tickets. Tomorrow it is totally impossible for anyone to arrive here, so this will be the last thing written about the life of the last pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago in one of the last albergues opened at this historic moment.

It has been beautiful while it has lasted, but it has been shorter than we imagined.

Thank you all for always being there.

Gabriel and Anita

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
MARCH 16, END OF THE DAY

Today three new pilgrims have arrived, yes, really! Three.
Francis and Christoffer were still there, and the Civil Guard brought us a Swiss who left Geneva walking january 6th, and very sad he did not understand why he could not get to Santiago, and two from Croatia, also angry about the same thing. Tomorrow everyone will definitely go to Madrid and by plane to their homes. Anita and the printer have been able to help everyone get their airline tickets. Tomorrow it is totally impossible for anyone to arrive here, so this will be the last thing written about the life of the last pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago in one of the last albergues opened at this historic moment.

It has been beautiful while it has lasted, but it has been shorter than we imagined.

Thank you all for always being there.

Gabriel and Anita

Thank you for your great work. I live on the other side of Palencia, we must meet up sometime soon!

Thank you for your great work. I live on the other side of Palencia, we must meet up sometime soon!
Of course!!! if you want to come here tomorrow...NO PROBLEM!!!, go to the nearest Camino from your home, with your backpack, and you can be totally sure that the Guardia Civil will bring you to our door directly, without asking you were do you want to go...😂😂

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow. Is anyone else moved by all the offers of kindness appearing on this thread? Not surprising, this is one of the lessons I learned on my Camino.
Yes, I find them very moving. They've brought tears to my eyes more than once. Thank you and God bless all of you for your unending generosity and care. 💖

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.