• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

COVID and camping

La Knysna

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone. Without getting into the merits of COVID and the Camino....my husband and I have plans to walk the Camino in August (God and COVID willing). For multiple reasons (his snoring, privacy, COVID risk reduction), we had thought of camping in a small tent we have used before. (By small tent, i mean large plastic sleeping bag. It is tiny tiny and basically just covers us...I digress). I have walked twice before, alone, it will be his first Camino. I didn't ever think of camping by myself, on the previous Caminos, so didn't even ask people about it! Does anyone have experience with this? We will start in Bilbao but are super flexible about any route. We also have six weeks and are fit, so may do more than one route.
PS: we would only come if COVID was under control and we have both been vaccinated. (we are South Africans and very very responsible global citizens. I am a Health care worker)
PPS: i have been blown away by the service offered by Air France. We had tickets to walk April 2020. We cancelled two weeks before (feb 2020) and received a one year voucher. We waited and waited and then 4 weeks ago submitted the voucher for a full refund. Just got paid back in full. I immediately rebooked for August. I feel confident if the situation doesn't allow travel, my tickets would not be wasted, and I would be able to apply for a full refund so I could rebook for 2022. Viva le France!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, La Knysna,

There have been many recent threads on camping, and many more over the last few years. I have never camped on Camino, but I could suggest using the Forum search engine located at the menu bar at the top of the page on the right.

If you plug in the word or phrase 'camping on the Norte' (or any of the camino routes), you will have a lot of information that may help. If you find that the specific answer isn't there, there are a lot of great members who will be glad to assist.

This thread has been moved. Now, if you click on "Camping on the Camino de Santiago" at the top of this thread (in bold above the thread title), you'll find most of the threads focused on camping. There are some additional threads in other sections, tagged with "camping".

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have only been friends with one pilgrim who used a tent on the Camino francés. (That was years before Covid, in 2012!). He used to camp in albergues’ gardens whenever he could and use their facilities. We used to lose him on and off as it wasn’t always easy for him finding places.
It can be done... Good luck 🙂

I camped most nights on the Norte, some of the Ingles and much of the Portuguese. It was fairly easy if you are happy to forego warm showers etc! But if you wash when warm water is available - take a trowel and leave no trace - you should be fine! You will still be buying food etc along the way - so supporting locals....

I am planning to get to northern Spain by mid-September and want to do the del Norte. I am travelling solo (so far) and very interested in doing a combination of 'wild camping' with a couple of nights per week 'inside' at albergues, donativos etc. I am looking for advice about doing this solo and as an older woman. I am fit and currently training. I have read some recommended advice: always ask permission, never leaving debris, etc. Generally be a responsible pilgrim! Any resources or suggestions would be very welcomed. I am 'on the fence' at this time about doing this on my first camino. Advance thanks!

PS: I am thinking that post-covid camping may also become more popular. (For example: there may inevitably be fewer places to stay due to economically-forced closures, outdoors better for virus-spreading.)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, i feel the 'asking permission ' bit is rather difficult.... trying to ascertain who is the owner of any piece of land is usually impossible!! A piece right outside someones house - yes - but a corner of unused land, a field margin, beside a vineyard.... I have asked and never found an owner... but when wild camping - just find a 'spot' and if anyone turns up - then I explain 'just here overnight - gone in the morning/on camino /etc ' and it is usually ok. It is not often the owner - just an interested local... In Spain/France - as in the Uk - land is often owned by people who do not live near..... so be prepared to take your chances. Politeness and a smile always seem to work - after all you are not doing anything bad - simply sleeping for a while on someones soil.....!
Better to ask forgiveness than permission' as my dear Thai friend says....

Hi, i feel the 'asking permission ' bit is rather difficult.... trying to ascertain who is the owner of any piece of land is usually impossible!! A piece right outside someones house - yes - but a corner of unused land, a field margin, beside a vineyard.... I have asked and never found an owner... but when wild camping - just find a 'spot' and if anyone turns up - then I explain 'just here overnight - gone in the morning/on camino /etc ' and it is usually ok. It is not often the owner - just an interested local... In Spain/France - as in the Uk - land is often owned by people who do not live near..... so be prepared to take your chances. Politeness and a smile always seem to work - after all you are not doing anything bad - simply sleeping for a while on someones soil.....!
Better to ask forgiveness than permission' as my dear Thai friend says....
Thank you. Very good to know! I love this forum!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.