• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Covid Conversation Courtesy

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

BombayBill

Still Learning
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024 Invierno / VdLP or Cathar
Can anyone enlighten me on how to a conduct a courteous Covid vaccination conversation en espanol?

Something like -

Nice to meet you. Would you like me to put on a mask?
Google translate says “¿Quieres que me ponga una máscara?”
“I have had 2 Moderna shots.”
Or perhaps the more colloquial “ I am double jabbed”.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think you can use the verb vacunar in the passive voice e.g. Me ha vacunado (con la vacuna de Moderna) i have been vaccinated

I'm not sure the best way to ask re the mask... My instinct would be to ask "do i need to wear a mask?" as it's fairly simple... ¿Necesito llevar una mascarilla? Or ¿Necesito ponerme una mascarilla?

I'm not a native speaker though! It's one of those things that when you are there you will hear the colloquial phrase and adopt it.

Buen camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Maybe you just put on your mask if anyone else is wearing one.

Then, if necessary "He recibido dos inyecciones de Moderna." I wouldn't attempt any further conversation.
Of course I would follow the local protocols but I am attempting to go further. I trying to show respect by interacting in the local language, look people in the eye and acknowledge that I care about what they may want and not just do the minimum according to rules. Whether it’s Covid or opening the window it’s what I’d do.

Of course I would follow the local protocols but I am attempting to go further. I trying to show respect by interacting in the local language, look people in the eye and acknowledge that I care about what they may want and not just do the minimum according to rules. Whether it’s Covid or opening the window it’s what I’d do.
Yes. I was just thinking that I would not attempt much conversation about Covid, but I agree that your approach what we should do on any matter.

Good information. Thanks for asking the question, and thanks to my fellow members for providing cogent answers.

I opine that the key is to always be prepared to mask up, and to do what the locals do. That is only courteous.

We all need to remember that we are guests in Spain, Portugal, France, or wherever we visit. We necessarily bend to their local laws, rules, orders and policies.

Going along to get along, whether you like it or not, is just the ticket here. There is nothing to be gained - IMHO - by standing on your "rights" and being difficult.

Face masks and sanitizing gel can be purchased in most every farmacia.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.