• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Covid meets Google Maps

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoughnutANZ

Ka whati te tai ka kai te tōreapango
Time of past OR future Camino
2019, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 & 2028.
Google has announced that Google Maps can now show a map layer that highlights Covid statistics for various geographic areas.

Google said "When you open Google Maps, tap on the layers button on the top right hand corner of your screen and click on “COVID-19 info”. You’ll then see a seven-day average of new COVID cases per 100,000 people for the area of the map you’re looking at, and a label that indicates whether the cases are trending up or down. Color coding also helps you easily distinguish the density of new cases in an area. Trending case data is visible at the country level for all 220 countries and territories that Google Maps supports, along with state or province, county, and city-level data where available."

For more details, see: https://blog.google/products/maps/navigate-safely-new-covid-data-google-maps/amp/
and

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Google has announced that Google Maps can now show a map layer that highlights Covid statistics for various geographic areas.

Google said "When you open Google Maps, tap on the layers button on the top right hand corner of your screen and click on “COVID-19 info”. You’ll then see a seven-day average of new COVID cases per 100,000 people for the area of the map you’re looking at, and a label that indicates whether the cases are trending up or down. Color coding also helps you easily distinguish the density of new cases in an area. Trending case data is visible at the country level for all 220 countries and territories that Google Maps supports, along with state or province, county, and city-level data where available."

For more details, see: https://blog.google/products/maps/navigate-safely-new-covid-data-google-maps/amp/
and
Looks like they are still rolling it out. It's not on my phone yet. And it won't be on the desktop/laptop version.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Off the covid topic here but when I tried for the covid layer I didn't see it so I turned on Streetview. I noticed that recently they came within two blocks of photographing my house. And what I thought was strange was that you can see that they turned around by driving around a block instead of continuing for about another 500m and connecting two important roads in town that they had previously done.

Off the covid topic here but when I tried for the covid layer I didn't see it so I turned on Streetview. I noticed that recently they came within two blocks of photographing my house. And what I thought was strange was that you can see that they turned around by driving around a block instead of continuing for about another 500m and connecting two important roads in town that they had previously done.
Maybe the person driving the "google car" wasn't using the google navigation feature on his/her phone and got confused🙃...it's been known to happen. 🙄

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The ways of Streetview are strange indeed. Until summer last year my Ex and our daughters lived next door to the Gambian High Commission in London. This is the Streetview image of the road

1601057027716.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have it on my phone, but it seems to vary in how fine grained it is by country. In US and Spain, for example, it shows different severity in different states/regions, while in Canada it just averages the whole country ignoring that some regions are in much worse shape than others at the moment.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have it on my phone, but it seems to vary in how fine grained it is by country. In US and Spain, for example, it shows different severity in different states/regions, while in Canada it just averages the whole country ignoring that some regions are in much worse shape than others at the moment.
I now have the Covid-19 layer on my phone too.
When I look at Canada it shows the overall rate for the country and for each province.
Screenshot_20200929-084323_Maps.jpg

I now have the Covid-19 layer on my phone too.
When I look at Canada it shows the overall rate for the country and for each province.
View attachment 84110
You're right. I was confused by the fact that Ontario and Quebec were shown the same colour as, say, Saskatchewan, when I thought we were doing a lot worse than them. (Especially when the daily case count in Ontario yesterday jumped a couple of hundred to 700.)

Status
Not open for further replies.