• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

COVID COVID Notice for staying in hotels and restaurants in Portugal

Rick H

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF Aug 2023
CP 2022
I just received a notice from a albergue that I booked for my upcoming trip to Portugal (plan on the central route from Porto). I did some checking on the US Embassy site and here is the regulation.
  • Hotels, Guesthouses, and airBnBs: mandatory submission of an EU Digital Certificate or a negative COVID test result (PCR 72 hours; antigen 48 hours; rapid test before health official 24 hours; or a rapid test immediately on arrival in front of an employee) is now required upon check-in.
You also have to present the same to eat in the interior of any restaurants, though the English from the albergue is a bit jumbled.
Being a US Citizen, I won't get the Digital Certificate. I'll have the Spanish Travel Health App on my phone, but don't know if that qualifies. I'll have my CDC Vacc Card as well. But it appears I need to have a test ever few days or every day, which might be a bit much for hiking the Camino.
Anyone have any clarity on this issue? Right now will probably cancel (Flight is on 8 August)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the heads up. Perhaps one of our Portuguese members can clarify.

@Rick H, look for comments posted by @Paintboy2 or contact him by private conversation. He has walked recently in Portugal while these new measures were implemented. He mentions a CDC vaccination card, so I presume that he travelled from the USA to Portugal.

The Spanish Travel Health App doesn't qualify for these purposes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, these regulations came into effect in Portugal earlier this month and apply throughout the country. There is also a similar regulation in Galicia now, which applies only in concellos (municipalities) in the high risk or maximum risk categories.

Last edited:
Yes, these regulations came into effect in Portugal earlier this month and apply throughout the country. There is also a similar regulation in Galicia now, which applies only in concellos (municipalities) in the high risk or maximum risk categories.

I've looked through the latest update on the Portuguese government website (https://covid19estamoson.gov.pt/desconfinamento-atualizacao-22-de-julho/), and every mention of it just says "digital certificate". It doesn't say that it has to be the EU digital certificate. Does the US issue its own certificate?
Gosh, that makes walking the Camino a lot more difficult for some, luckily mine is EU digital.

@Wendy Werneth, how does this work in practice, do you know? Do people just hold up their mobile phones at check-in or does the staff actually check the authenticity with the help of the verification app?

Portugal has developed such a verification app, it is called Passe Covid. Ever curious, I downloaded it, and, as expected, the app is able to recognise that I hold a valid EU DCC. Verification obviously doesn't work with non-EU certificates, whether digital or on a card. I guess they wing it somehow?

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Wendy Werneth, how does this work in practice, do you know? Do people just hold up their mobile phones at check-in or does the staff actually check the authenticity with the help of the verification app?

Portugal has developed such a verification app, it is called Passe Covid. Ever curious, I downloaded it, and, as expected, the app is able to recognise that I hold a valid EU DCC. Verification obviously doesn't work with non-EU certificates, whether digital or on a card. I guess they wing it somehow?
OK, please forget what I said in my previous post; I will edit or delete it after posting this one. I was just looking at the "hotel and restaurant" section of the FAQ, and somehow didn't see that there was a whole separate section about the certification. And yes, it does say that it has to be the EU certificate.

Here is the link to the relevant section of the FAQ (in Portuguese).

And here is the link to the ministerial resolution introducing these new regulations (in Portuguese).

The FAQ does say that the certificate must be valid, and that its validity can be verified with the Passe Covid app. Although in practice, I suspect that many establishments will not bother doing this. They are not required to keep copies of the certificates or test results, as this would be a violation of privacy laws.

Since I don't get my second dose until next week, I have not tried eating inside restaurants on weekends to see how this actually plays out.

According to this YouTube video, residents of non-EU countries traveling to the EU can request a certificate from their destination country. I have not looked into what this process entails for visitors traveling to Spain or Portugal.

SO I live in Porto. Since they introduced this new rule (can only eat outside on weekends without the covid vaccine certificate). There is the option though to do the self test on arrival at the restaurant and we actually did that for a place that had no outside seating that we really wanted to go to. The little self tests cost 3 Euros at pharmacies and some supermarkets and you do them in front of the staff and wait 10min for the result. So if the albergues accept the same, it isn't toooo bad, just carry a few of them with you. I am planning on doing that when I leave from Porto mid August, as I am still waiting on my vaccine.

I just received a notice from a albergue that I booked for my upcoming trip to Portugal (plan on the central route from Porto). I did some checking on the US Embassy site and here is the regulation.
  • Hotels, Guesthouses, and airBnBs: mandatory submission of an EU Digital Certificate or a negative COVID test result (PCR 72 hours; antigen 48 hours; rapid test before health official 24 hours; or a rapid test immediately on arrival in front of an employee) is now required upon check-in.
You also have to present the same to eat in the interior of any restaurants, though the English from the albergue is a bit jumbled.
Being a US Citizen, I won't get the Digital Certificate. I'll have the Spanish Travel Health App on my phone, but don't know if that qualifies. I'll have my CDC Vacc Card as well. But it appears I need to have a test ever few days or every day, which might be a bit much for hiking the Camino.
Anyone have any clarity on this issue? Right now will probably cancel (Flight is on 8 August)
Hi Rick
Indeed a pity with so many obstacles..
I mean sticking the cotton bud stick through your nostril everyday / very couple of hours in Portugal is going to give an infection in the ENT area.
We all wish to walk so much ..
First the hardships in the Camino and to add to this so many many tests ...
I do understand the safety concerns are paramount .. but...
Is this all really worth it ?
My Warmest Wishes
Bonnie(Vivek)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am fully vaccinated with a card, also have the covid antigen positive test. Should be good to go. US citizen. At least for now. Lol

Last edited:
Hello Friends,
Can anyone clarify this information?
I went to this web site:

And I saw this information - below -- which looks like non-essential travelers must quarantine. I'm planning to arrive in Porto from the USA on Sept 1. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Sarah

Quarantine
Quarantine does not apply to:

√ Passengers traveling on essential trips and whose period of stay in national territory, attested by a return ticket, does not exceed 48 hours;
√ Passengers traveling exclusively to participate in international professional competitions, listed in Annex IV of the official governmental document Despacho nº 7374-E/2021 (in Portuguese);

SO I live in Porto. Since they introduced this new rule (can only eat outside on weekends without the covid vaccine certificate). There is the option though to do the self test on arrival at the restaurant and we actually did that for a place that had no outside seating that we really wanted to go to. The little self tests cost 3 Euros at pharmacies and some supermarkets and you do them in front of the staff and wait 10min for the result. So if the albergues accept the same, it isn't toooo bad, just carry a few of them with you. I am planning on doing that when I leave from Porto mid August, as I am still waiting on my vaccine.
Thank you. Do non-essential travelers have to quarantine? My research says they do, but I may be reading the information incorrectly. I'm from the USA.
Thank you,
Sarah

Rick - also check out https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal
for quarantine information. I'm booked for 9/01 from the US and cannot decide whether or not to go.
Thanks,
Sarah

Hello Friends,
Can anyone clarify this information?
I went to this web site:

And I saw this information - below -- which looks like non-essential travelers must quarantine. I'm planning to arrive in Porto from the USA on Sept 1. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Sarah

Quarantine
Quarantine does not apply to:

√ Passengers traveling on essential trips and whose period of stay in national territory, attested by a return ticket, does not exceed 48 hours;
√ Passengers traveling exclusively to participate in international professional competitions, listed in Annex IV of the official governmental document Despacho nº 7374-E/2021 (in Portuguese);
I believe that paragraph only applies to the nationalities who are otherwise required to quarantine (Brazil, India, Nepal, South Africa and UK). Since the US is not one of those countries, it shouldn't apply to you.

Thanks for all the great responses and information. Looks like right now I can get into Portugal on the Camino but daily trekking with an armful of tests does not seem like much fun. I'm sure most people will be somewhat distanced (physically and socially) making for different Camino experience. I'm inclined to wait until things return to the natural state. I do hope this Covid bump in the road clears up soon.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have also been watching this situation closely, as my husband and I are preparing to embark on 30 Aug, starting from Lisbon, on the Camino Portuguese. According to several posts I've seen from various pilgrims, the albergues/hostels where they've stayed have been accepting the U.S. paper CDC vaccination card. I'm not assuming that EVERY lodging will accept them, so we'll probably carry one or two tests with us just in case.

Thanks for all the great responses and information. Looks like right now I can get into Portugal on the Camino but daily trekking with an armful of tests does not seem like much fun. I'm sure most people will be somewhat distanced (physically and socially) making for different Camino experience. I'm inclined to wait until things return to the natural state. I do hope this Covid bump in the road clears up soon.
I've been asking pilgrims who are on the Camino Portugues now, and they're telling me that it's possible to message the lodging establishments in advance and find out if they'll accept the CDC vaccination card. In fact, they also say that most of the lodgings are accepting it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did a self test to go into a restaurant in Porto 2 weeks ago. It wasn't so bad. They are small and light weight. Carry a few on you in case needed to check into a place. I will do that. In Porto they cost about €2.50each.

I did a self test to go into a restaurant in Porto 2 weeks ago. It wasn't so bad. They are small and light weight. Carry a few on you in case needed to check into a place. I will do that. In Porto they cost about €2.50each.
I bought 3 self tests in Santiago as I am cycling to Lisbon. They cost me 6.90 euros each.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was on Camino and other parts of Portugal July 15-30, very few hotels/ hostels asked for vaccination card, and those which asked, accepted my US paper card.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the heads up. Perhaps one of our Portuguese members can clarify.
I see all the comments made a few weeks ago. To be honest, they are discouraging. My wife and I are hoping to walk from Fatima starting around October 1. We would be delighted to receive some encouragement :) I was recently appointed a coordinator for the Mid-America Chapter (over 500 strong!) of the American Pilgrims on the Camino and miss the annual walks my wife and I have done for many years. We don't want to miss this year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I see all the comments made a few weeks ago. To be honest, they are discouraging. My wife and I are hoping to walk from Fatima starting around October 1. We would be delighted to receive some encouragement :) I was recently appointed a coordinator for the Mid-America Chapter (over 500 strong!) of the American Pilgrims on the Camino and miss the annual walks my wife and I have done for many years. We don't want to miss this year.
I cycled from Santiago to Lisbon, arrived in Lisbon this morning. I have one Pfizer shot, so needed to do rapid test on entry to albergues. This was not difficult and took 15 minutes. Albergue staff are OK with this, when you have done one rapid test the rest are easy. Without vaccination you are supposed to eat outside. Most people ate outside because it was more pleasant. Nobody asked for vaccination certificate when I ate inside though.
Not many pilgrims, so you may spend a lot of time ealking alone.
Pamplona to Santiago was much busier, and, in my humble opinion, a better route to walk.I cycled Pamplona to Santiago to Lima. 22 days cycling.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back